Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands again in 2010?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:As long as Highlands stays in 5A they'll have it made. They might as well crown them champs for life.

Moving down to 4A would give them much better competition and make for a more interesting post season. Boyle County moved up to 3A in 2001 and competed with Highlands for state titles until the realignment in 2007. In six seasons Boyle won three titles, Highlands won one, Lex Cath won one, and Cov Cath won one.

Highlands was the top team in the state this season and they would likely have won 4A and 6A titles as well. That said, they wouldn't be able to compete year in and year out in 6A against St. X and Trinity. Just not enough firepower. Playing in 4A would pit them against Boyle County, Lex Cath, Bell County, and a couple of others that would be able to meet Highlands on even terms most of the time.

That said, anything less than a 5A state title for Highlands in 2010 will be a major disappointment. :thanks:

You can count Bell out of that equation. After talking to Dudley Hilton at the Border Bowl, he does not want to be in the same class as Highlands. "If Dale goes to 4A I'm going to 3A or 5A".
Birds will be very tough. The Towles kid is still growing I think.
tradition Wrote:You can count Bell out of that equation. After talking to Dudley Hilton at the Border Bowl, he does not want to be in the same class as Highlands. "If Dale goes to 4A I'm going to 3A or 5A".

It's very hard for me to believe that Dudley Hilton said that. If he did, I suspect that it was said in jest or as some sort of self depreciating sign of respect to Highlands.
My question is how would Jenkins fair against FT. Thomas Highlands?
HIGHLANDS

Aug. 3 Trinity (scrimmage) Home 7:30
Aug. 20 Manual Home 7:30
Aug. 27 Ryle Home 7:30
Sep. 3 Beechwood Home 7:00
Sep. 10 Withrow Home 7:30
Sep. 17 Boone Co. Away 7:00
Sep. 25 Lou. Eastern Away 12:00
Oct. 1 Dixie Away 7:00
Oct. 8 Open
Oct. 15 Cov. Cath. Home 7:00
Oct. 22 Scott Away 7:00
Oct. 29 Ryle Away 7:30

I'm interested to see what the Highlands football "experts" think about the upcoming schedule? Too conservative? Tough? Predicted regular season record? I"m thinking Ryle may take one from the Birds. This schedule IMO was way too predictable. I thought Neerfan was all smoke and mirrors but looking at this schedule, it makes me wonder if Dale really is ducking SK....
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:HIGHLANDS

Oct. 8 Open

I'm interested to see what the Highlands football "experts" think about the upcoming schedule? Too conservative? Tough? Predicted regular season record? I"m thinking Ryle may take one from the Birds. This schedule IMO was way too predictable. I thought Neerfan was all smoke and mirrors but looking at this schedule, it makes me wonder if Dale really is ducking SK....

It's the blooming second year of the two year contract cycle. Dale couldn't have easily added SK this year unless SK would break it's contract with whoever they have scheduled for the week Highlands played X last year. No decent and worthy coach breaks contracts. Highlands tried to schedule SK for last year and this year. It didn't happen and it wasn't because Dale was ducking SK. Quit wondering.

Oct. 8 Open

Highlands ducking SK..... Please:lmao:

Oct. 8 Open

So, let me get this straight, Coach Mueller and HHS were not afraid to schedule Cincinnati Colerain in non-home games in both 2005 and 2008, which were two years after HHS lost a lot of talent and experience to graduation, but Highlands is now ducking a Simon Kenton team that is post-Miles Simpson? Really???
... and frankly, if there is a non-Highlands team in NKY that could be viewed as 'duck'-worthy in 2010, it would be Ryle. Highlands happens to be playing them twice this year.

Oct. 8 Open

Pretty good schedule IMO. Withrow(OH) always has a lot of talent and speed. Their coach was actually given an assistant job by UCs new coach so you knew he was one of the best there. Ryle is going to be very good this year and Highlands plays them twice.... enough said. Anytime you play Louisville skills it is always a test so Manual and Eastern are solid. All-in-all, pretty solid schedule when you have these teams. CovCath has a really talented sophomore class that could challenge Highlands in the future as they continue to compete for state championships.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I heard they have great programs for the youth up in the Fort Thomas area. I think a club or a program to get kids started early. Past Highlands players run it, and is like a mentor or a role model to the kids. I think that is cool, and shows why Highlands is so good at what they do.

To answer your question, they have one of the best programs in the Nation being run for their youth to allow them to translate to the next level of football. In their youth leagues, they have 4+ teams every year. Each team runs the exact same offensive and defensive play-sets so its like playing yourself out there. These are also the same offensive and defensive schemes used at Highlands by Dale Mueller. So as these kids grow and mature and move on to high school, they been running the same system for years and years so there is no transitioning period for them. By then, they are experts at their own systems as they know all the ins and out of it. Very, very solid program and the high school works hand-in-hand with it to keep it updated with plays and also to help progress the kids who will one day be suiting up in a Highlands uniform. What also helps is that they lose very few of these youth league players to other schools too so this allows for a very solid team when they finally join the high school ranks. Many of the players who do not attend Highlands, attend Newport Central Catholic which is another NKY powerhouse who has many titles under their belt. With a solid foundation from the Highlands Youth Program, they too enjoy an easy translation at NCC for football.

Highlands youth football league was also featured one day on ESPN for either NFL or College Football Live several months ago. It was a segment where teams, programs, etc submitted videos of their teams to ESPN for them to show on TV. ESPN selected a video from Highlands youth league where they broke down an interception made by a young man. They talked about the safety (the young man who made the pick) and the progressions he made during the play that allowed him to get the pick. Its a great example of the caliber of the youth league they are running in Fort Thomas. It is definitely a model to be looked at by other communities when high schools are looking to upgrade their teams from the youth (who are yet to be in high school) and on up.

To sum it up, Highlands has broken this down to a science. They are just a well-tune machine that keeps on reloading year-in and year-out. They may not win it every year, but they always are one of the main contenders for it. This will not change as they continue to implement this youth program.
BaseballIsLife Wrote:To answer your question, they have one of the best programs in the Nation being run for their youth to allow them to translate to the next level of football. In their youth leagues, they have 4+ teams every year. Each team runs the exact same offensive and defensive play-sets so its like playing yourself out there. These are also the same offensive and defensive schemes used at Highlands by Dale Mueller. So as these kids grow and mature and move on to high school, they been running the same system for years and years so there is no transitioning period for them. By then, they are experts at their own systems as they know all the ins and out of it. Very, very solid program and the high school works hand-in-hand with it to keep it updated with plays and also to help progress the kids who will one day be suiting up in a Highlands uniform. What also helps is that they lose very few of these youth league players to other schools too so this allows for a very solid team when they finally join the high school ranks. Many of the players who do not attend Highlands, attend Newport Central Catholic which is another NKY powerhouse who has many titles under their belt. With a solid foundation from the Highlands Youth Program, they too enjoy an easy translation at NCC for football.

Highlands youth football league was also featured one day on ESPN for either NFL or College Football Live several months ago. It was a segment where teams, programs, etc submitted videos of their teams to ESPN for them to show on TV. ESPN selected a video from Highlands youth league where they broke down an interception made by a young man. They talked about the safety (the young man who made the pick) and the progressions he made during the play that allowed him to get the pick. Its a great example of the caliber of the youth league they are running in Fort Thomas. It is definitely a model to be looked at by other communities when high schools are looking to upgrade their teams from the youth (who are yet to be in high school) and on up.

To sum it up, Highlands has broken this down to a science. They are just a well-tune machine that keeps on reloading year-in and year-out. They may not win it every year, but they always are one of the main contenders for it. This will not change as they continue to implement this youth program.

Very nice summary of the Fort Thomas Jr. Football League. Would just like to add that the main purpose of the League is to teach football and have the kids enjoy it. It is a short season and limited practices. They only play games on Sat. and Tues. during the season. Mondays and Thursdays they can practice. Usually when the season starts the Monday and Thursday practices go away. The season starts in Mid September and ends at the end of October. There is on average 20 - 24 players per team and EVERYONE PLAYS. It's a rule.

Great league and the driving force is to get kids interested and liking football. It is not about winning. They know that will come in High School.
I look forward to see the blue birds at the nest this year, I hope. Just maybe JC can get over that hump. I Know that to be the best you got to beat the best. Highlands is no doubt the best in KY. Good luck this year!
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:It's very hard for me to believe that Dudley Hilton said that. If he did, I suspect that it was said in jest or as some sort of self depreciating sign of respect to Highlands.

He may have said it jest or he may have said it in some sort of self depreciating sign of respect. I don't know. But I know he said it because he said it to me and several others at the Border Bowl dinner this past year. He went on to say how it hard it is to beat Highlands because of the fact that we are an urban school with a great football tradition, great players and great coaches.
Wish we could do something like that down here.
tradition Wrote:Very nice summary of the Fort Thomas Jr. Football League. Would just like to add that the main purpose of the League is to teach football and have the kids enjoy it. It is a short season and limited practices. They only play games on Sat. and Tues. during the season. Mondays and Thursdays they can practice. Usually when the season starts the Monday and Thursday practices go away. The season starts in Mid September and ends at the end of October. There is on average 20 - 24 players per team and EVERYONE PLAYS. It's a rule.

Great league and the driving force is to get kids interested and liking football. It is not about winning. They know that will come in High School.

Not about winning? Isn't this why Ft. Thomas has made it a "science" projecct? It may be a great program, but at what cost to the children? And what if, heaven forbid, a class doesn't win a state championship or get the opportunity to compete for one? Hopefully programs like this are striking a balance between competing to win and not having a child base his self worth on wether or not his class wins a state title. I wonder how much pressure the 2010 class feels after all the hype over last year's team. It certainly isn't healthy pressure. So much for football just being a game....
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Not about winning? Isn't this why Ft. Thomas has made it a "science" projecct? It may be a great program, but at what cost to the children? And what if, heaven forbid, a class doesn't win a state championship or get the opportunity to compete for one? Hopefully programs like this are striking a balance between competing to win and not having a child base his self worth on wether or not his class wins a state title. I wonder how much pressure the 2010 class feels after all the hype over last year's team. It certainly isn't healthy pressure. So much for football just being a game....

I hear what you are saying but I think you are being just a tad bit dramatic. How do you know it's not healthy pressure? Are you a player or have a son on the team? If not, on what do you base your conclusion that it's not healthy pressure? I had a son on last year's team and they felt a ton of pressure. They were hyped since their freshman year as the best class ever at Highlands. A whole lot of people expected them to go 15-0 and beat X last year. That's a lot of pressure. I saw no adverse side effect of that pressure on him.

I think that the kids on this year's team feels pressure. I agree with you. But I think the players, coaches, parents and most fans understand that all the kids can do is do the best they can do and the chips will fall where they may. Dale is great at telling the kids and parents that while the goal is to win state, the real measure of their success will come in 30 years when they see if they have been good spouses, good fathers and good contributors to society. I've had another son not win state his senior year. He's turned out just fine. He doesn't walk around considering himself a failure or a let down just because his team didn't win state.

And the poster you quoted was spot on in re the youth league. There is very little emphasis placed on winning. It's all about instruction and the kids getting playing time.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Not about winning? Isn't this why Ft. Thomas has made it a "science" projecct? It may be a great program, but at what cost to the children? And what if, heaven forbid, a class doesn't win a state championship or get the opportunity to compete for one? Hopefully programs like this are striking a balance between competing to win and not having a child base his self worth on wether or not his class wins a state title. I wonder how much pressure the 2010 class feels after all the hype over last year's team. It certainly isn't healthy pressure. So much for football just being a game....

I'm talking about the little league. You know 3rd grade thru 8th. Sure the intesity grows as they get to the eigth grade but the league is based on teaching all the players not the choosen few by the coaches that just want to win at all cost. As I said all players play. Coaches have to get players in. They can't just play their best players and leave the rest sitting the bench. This teaches all and keeps all interested. You would be surprised how many young players that don't play well young turn into real studs by the time they are Juniors in High School. This also can go the otherway where a kid is a stand out in the Jr. League and then gets to High School and others have caught up to him in talent. This is why the league strives to play all players.

In little leagues I see all to often leagues where the emphasis is on winning and not teaching.
I have one other question that has been on my mind about this year's team and it centers around team leadership. Dale has had to work extra hard getting this team mentally prepared for 2010 and the latter half of the season will be predominately spent on the road. Last year, Austin and a couple other seniors showed great leadership and focus in guiding the Birds to yet another state championship. With that said, has anyone stepped up to fill that role for 2010? I believe leadership, or lack thereof, will factor heavily in determining a 4th consecutive title for the Highlands Bluebirds.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:I have one other question that has been on my mind about this year's team and it centers around team leadership. Dale has had to work extra hard getting this team mentally prepared for 2010 and the latter half of the season will be predominately spent on the road. Last year, Austin and a couple other seniors showed great leadership and focus in guiding the Birds to yet another state championship. With that said, has anyone stepped up to fill that role for 2010? I believe leadership, or lack thereof, will factor heavily in determining a 4th consecutive title for the Highlands Bluebirds.

Senior leadership of course is key and this year they are again stepping up to the plate. I hate these questions because I am sure I will leave someone out and I am not as close to the program as I have been in the last 8 years. Those that come to mind this year for me are; Hahn, Abner, Seidl, Compton, Sullivan, Gold, etc. Again please forgive me, I'm not as close as I want to be and I'm sure there are others giving their all and being leaders , but for the moment these are the ones that come to mind.
tradition Wrote:Senior leadership of course is key and this year they are again stepping up to the plate. I hate these questions because I am sure I will leave someone out and I am not as close to the program as I have been in the last 8 years. Those that come to mind this year for me are; Hahn, Abner, Seidl, Compton, Sullivan, Gold, etc. Again please forgive me, I'm not as close as I want to be and I'm sure there are others giving their all and being leaders , but for the moment these are the ones that come to mind.

Thats a solid list of Sr's who should step up and lead. Austin Hollingsworth, Billy Huddleston and Greg Gall will also provide excellent leadership. Abner, Sully and Seidle will anchor the Defense and Gall/Gold/Compton/Hahn will provide the offensive punch. I dont see any names jumping off the screen like an Austin Collinsworth or Brandon Roller but this unit will provide great leadership because I think they feel they have a lot to prove. Many of these guys had to take a backseat to last year's phenomenal Sr class.

Only a few weeks away boys from the Trinity scrimmage....it should be a dandy.:Thumbs:
qryche11 Wrote:Thats a solid list of Sr's who should step up and lead. Austin Hollingsworth, Billy Huddleston and Greg Gall will also provide excellent leadership. Abner, Sully and Seidle will anchor the Defense and Gall/Gold/Compton/Hahn will provide the offensive punch. I dont see any names jumping off the screen like an Austin Collinsworth or Brandon Roller but this unit will provide great leadership because I think they feel they have a lot to prove. Many of these guys had to take a backseat to last year's phenomenal Sr class.

Only a few weeks away boys from the Trinity scrimmage....it should be a dandy.:Thumbs:

Hopefully the kids respect one another's game. Looking at all the names dropped it sounds like "too many chiefs and not ....." Usually one player unites the others, encourages, and leads by their work ethic and example off the field all while doing it humbly...
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Hopefully the kids respect one another's game. Looking at all the names dropped it sounds like "too many chiefs and not ....." Usually one player unites the others, encourages, and leads by their work ethic and example off the field all while doing it humbly...

Usually one player? Really? Last year you had Collinsworth, Roller, Schlosser, Combs, Bardo, Dierig, Grubbs and several others uniting, encouraging and leading before and during the season. In no way was it just one player. The year before it was Guidugli, Dempsey, Laber, Rosenhagen and others. The year before that one, it was Cecil, Hurtt, Ball, Stine and others. Perhaps you should sign up for the 101 class to be taught on the 15th. :lmao:
charlie22 Wrote:Usually one player? Really? Last year you had Collinsworth, Roller, Schlosser, Combs, Bardo, Dierig, Grubbs and several others uniting, encouraging and leading before and during the season. In no way was it just one player. The year before it was Guidugli, Dempsey, Laber, Rosenhagen and others. The year before that one, it was Cecil, Hurtt, Ball, Stine and others. Perhaps you should sign up for the 101 class to be taught on the 15th. :lmao:

:Thumbs:
I would agree with Charlie and Stardust on this one Whackem....last year they had a crop of them with a few brand names but this is actually the year of the unknown from the Sr. Class. Many of the aforementioned kids like Gall, Gold, Sullivan, Hollingsworth, Duenas, Bishop, etc....have had to sit back and wait their turn and will likely step up now that it is time. Gold caught the big TD in the state finals his soph year but then Drennan comes in and he his PT diminished somewhat. There will be a lot of ****ry kids out there in this years Sr class which will be different than year's past where you had the proven SR's who all logged many varsity minutes their soph and Jr years.
where is the trinty game at is highlands home or are they travling
rebel 4 life Wrote:where is the trinty game at is highlands home or are they travling

It's at Highlands on Aug 13th I believe. While it's only a scrimmage, I hear it will be played in game type conditions. I'm sure that towards the end of the scrimmage there will be lots of substituting going on, but I'd not be surprised if both teams player their primary starters in the first half with the regular season starting the next week.
qryche11 Wrote:I would agree with Charlie and Stardust on this one Whackem....last year they had a crop of them with a few brand names but this is actually the year of the unknown from the Sr. Class. Many of the aforementioned kids like Gall, Gold, Sullivan, Hollingsworth, Duenas, Bishop, etc....have had to sit back and wait their turn and will likely step up now that it is time. Gold caught the big TD in the state finals his soph year but then Drennan comes in and he his PT diminished somewhat. There will be a lot of ****ry kids out there in this years Sr class which will be different than year's past where you had the proven SR's who all logged many varsity minutes their soph and Jr years.

I think you are spot on in re this group of seniors wanting to prove something.

Many of them did make major contributions last year. Frankly, we could not have won state last year without the big efforts from Hahn, Seidl, Compton, Huddleston, Gold, Sullivan and the rest. But those kids heard so much about how talented last year's senior class was and they heard or read about opponents being so glad that last year's senior class was graduating, they've had to had a chip on their shoulder and something to prove since the day after last year's state game. All reports I've heard are that the seniors have worked very hard in the weight room and in conditioning drills. It won't be easy to do a 4-peat. JC should be particularly good this year and I'm sure some other teams from the East will be ready and primed to beat the Birds if given a chance. But I still like our chances.
Pages: 1 2 3