Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell, Greenup, Raceland 2010 game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
What are peoples thoughts are and predictions, I know its to early to tell but I just want to hear what you have to say.
I think Greenup County will sweep the County with 18 returning seniors and Copley's 2nd year, things sure will change next year, as the Rams and Devils will find out next season.:1:
old warrior Wrote:I think Greenup County will sweep the County with 18 returning seniors and Copley's 2nd year, things sure will change next year, as the Rams and Devils will find out next season.:1:

You need to walk the walk before you can talk the talk. Beat them first then talk smack. I'm not saying that Greenup won't do well and I hope they do. We as fans need to be a bit responsible and win a game before we make outlandish prediction. Good luck.
Jeepman Wrote:You need to walk the walk before you can talk the talk. Beat them first then talk smack. I'm not saying that Greenup won't do well and I hope they do. We as fans need to be a bit responsible and win a game before we make outlandish prediction. Good luck.

It's a thread about thoughts and predictions.

Old Warrior didn't state that Russell and Raceland would both lose by 40 or 50 points to Greenup County. He said that Greenup County would win both games. That isn't outlandish with the group of kids that Greenup County will have as seniors.

Just ask Lawrence County what a good group of seniors can bring you.

:rockon:
Well I just read on another site and confirmed it with my wife that Greenup is tired of losing all their players to Russell and Raceland are are in the process of revoking their open enrollment policy with the two schools. If you live in Greenup and has a kid that wishes to go to another school then they will have to pay their "seek" money in order to do it which is about $4,000. Greenups coach had this problem at Pikeville with kids going to Johnson Central and is wanting it stopped here as well. Jeff Hurn is a big backer of this also. Russell would survive because of its size but Raceland would probrably fold. Were not just talking about kids who play sports but all kids attending other schools. Teachers as well. If you are employed at Raceland but live in Greenup, better get your pocketbook out.
KYstraydog Wrote:Well I just read on another site and confirmed it with my wife that Greenup is tired of losing all their players to Russell and Raceland are are in the process of revoking their open enrollment policy with the two schools. If you live in Greenup and has a kid that wishes to go to another school then they will have to pay their "seek" money in order to do it which is about $4,000. Greenups coach had this problem at Pikeville with kids going to Johnson Central and is wanting it stopped here as well. Jeff Hurn is a big backer of this also. Russell would survive because of its size but Raceland would probrably fold. Were not just talking about kids who play sports but all kids attending other schools. Teachers as well. If you are employed at Raceland but live in Greenup, better get your pocketbook out.
That is a significant development that really would hurt Raceland.
FBALL Wrote:That is a significant development that really would hurt Raceland.
Yeah it will hurt Raceland way more than Russell for sure.
I haven't heard of anything like this on kids wishing to go to a better school. The kids already attending would probably be "grandfathered" in. Copley should wise up a bit,not every kid wants to go to a dump for a school.I say,let him try.....must be a girlyman, can't take it...........play with what you have, Raceland and Russell have no "star" players from Greenup anyway.If so, name them
KYstraydog Wrote:Well I just read on another site and confirmed it with my wife that Greenup is tired of losing all their players to Russell and Raceland are are in the process of revoking their open enrollment policy with the two schools. If you live in Greenup and has a kid that wishes to go to another school then they will have to pay their "seek" money in order to do it which is about $4,000. Greenups coach had this problem at Pikeville with kids going to Johnson Central and is wanting it stopped here as well. Jeff Hurn is a big backer of this also. Russell would survive because of its size but Raceland would probrably fold. Were not just talking about kids who play sports but all kids attending other schools. Teachers as well. If you are employed at Raceland but live in Greenup, better get your pocketbook out.
Copley never lost kids in Pikeville to JC, JC is an hour away from Pikeville. What are you talking about? Matney and Copley are good buddys. You obviously dont have any clue what your talking about.

RAMSPORTS Wrote:I haven't heard of anything like this on kids wishing to go to a better school. The kids already attending would probably be "grandfathered" in. Copley should wise up a bit,not every kid wants to go to a dump for a school.I say,let him try.....must be a girlyman, can't take it...........play with what you have, Raceland and Russell have no "star" players from Greenup anyway.If so, name them
If all this is true, Why do you care?
I agree. From what I was told it would come in phases. It hasn't actually passed yet anyway but I know it will affect more than just sports. I believe it was in the minutes of Greenups last board meeting. Hopefully someone that attends these will shine some better light on this. I believe each student gets 4,000 in seek money from the state. If a student wishes to go to Raceland or Russell the money goes with the student. Greenup is now wanting to change it to where if a child wants to go to a different school he can but the seek money stays. So if you are a couple living in Greenup or Wurtland and have 1 0r 2 kids who go to Raceland or Russell you must pay 4,000 or 8,000 bucks
Trust me Kosar...I have a clue
KYstraydog Wrote:Trust me Kosar...I have a clue
I dont doubt you do about the seek money etc. But saying Pville lost players to JC an hour away is funny. Copley never lost a kid to Matney, If he did I dont think they would be close friends, like they are.
they may pass something like that....b ut like always it would have a "starting now" date, kids already there would stay. If a kid was an athlete and had to change to Greenup, they would never play for Copley anyway. Not that he's a bad guy or coach, just more than a few would ride Copley out of Greenup.
I never said they were'nt good buddies. Most all your teams especially down that way are fairly close (with exception of maybe Haywood at Belfry...LOL) Russell loses kids to Raceland from time to time and I am sure McGlone loves TJ just as easily. I used to fish alot in Pikeville and belonged to a Bass Club in Tug Valley so in my discussions about football out on the water usually involved Belfry but I have heard about kids leaving to play at this school and visa versa. Oh and in my many travels I dont think they are an hour apart. I would say 45 minute. LOL
Greenup got their players back anyway, will Rister and Troxler play for Greenup? I think all the tranfers went back, could be wrong, but can't think of any
I really cant think of any either. I think its just a way of keeping future kids in Greenup at Greenup IMO because I dont think its a money thing. It was to my understanding that Greenup Schools have the more money in their accounts than any school east of Lexington. Matter of fact they just bought their superintendent a new denali.
Raceland has a JV QB who is from Greenup, freshman Blankenship, have to see how he does later on
Marcus Reed
forgot about him as well, thats not bad though, hope they all play where they want.
KYstraydog Wrote:I agree. From what I was told it would come in phases. It hasn't actually passed yet anyway but I know it will affect more than just sports. I believe it was in the minutes of Greenups last board meeting. Hopefully someone that attends these will shine some better light on this. I believe each student gets 4,000 in seek money from the state. If a student wishes to go to Raceland or Russell the money goes with the student. Greenup is now wanting to change it to where if a child wants to go to a different school he can but the seek money stays. So if you are a couple living in Greenup or Wurtland and have 1 0r 2 kids who go to Raceland or Russell you must pay 4,000 or 8,000 bucks

November 23, 2009 minutes concerning this issue

http://www.greenup.k12.ky.us/DistrictFil...inutes.doc

2. 2010-2011 NON-RESIDENT CONTRACTS
Discussion
Currently 320+ students who live in Greenup County School District but attend schools outside of our system. We need to review these amounts and the possibility of scaling back the number that we allow to leave the district. Thoughts to consider – capacity, preschool, childcare. Cannot be done in full immediately but done in phases. BOE needs to agree on how we handle the non-resident contracts. Would like to propose that we look at attendance factors and outline how we can phase in bringing students back into Greenup County.
Ms. Dillon – Is there any kind of cut-off on number of students we allow to leave?
Mr. Raby – No limit set in contract. Net loss of 316 students that leave to other districts.
BOE in agreement that we need to research and bring back a plan.

What about students that leave for non athletic reason??? I know a lot of students even go to schools in OH. Will students be able to leave if state test scores are below average?? I think GC is trying to do better, but still are a lot of issues in the system and at certian schools... So should a parent be punished for wanting better for their child. Now before you get all upset... I know not all parents who take their kids other places are looking at best interest of their child in the classroom. But if there are over 300 students leaving the GC system; that should tell you something right there. There is something that is making these students leave...and it is just not athletic purposes. What about students who live on the Carter/GC border and go to carter?? What about those that live in Wurtland and go to Raceland?? The distance is a lot closer for those students to go to other schools instead on GC.
KYstraydog Wrote:I never said they were'nt good buddies. Most all your teams especially down that way are fairly close (with exception of maybe Haywood at Belfry...LOL) Russell loses kids to Raceland from time to time and I am sure McGlone loves TJ just as easily. I used to fish alot in Pikeville and belonged to a Bass Club in Tug Valley so in my discussions about football out on the water usually involved Belfry but I have heard about kids leaving to play at this school and visa versa. Oh and in my many travels I dont think they are an hour apart. I would say 45 minute. LOL
It goes both ways with Russell/Raceland they lose some to us and we lose some to them.
That many students leaving should tell GC something. I read last year their school rated a 2 on a scale to 10. Raceland,BC, Ashland were all a 6, and Russell had an 8.

Greenup has the reputation of being not so good academically, and for years have played the buddy system in sports. They are improving, but they needed changes top to bottom.
Greenup can keep every one of them as far as i'm concerned! They didn't help any. Bottomline is they didn't want to show up to practice and work at Greenup. Well they didn't want to at Raceland either! I doubt chaging schools is going to help it any. I think transferring once you are already in the varsity level is dumb anyway. Make the decision before you are a freshmen!
I believe more students leave Greenup for Academics than athletics.
After really thinking about it. How ridiculous is this? It's one of the most desperate things I have ever heard of. You lose all your players because your team isn't any good. So you go and try to pass something to keep the players at your school so your team can maybe win more than 2 games? :please::lmao:
Well......I've heard it all now. Greenup can't keep kids from leaving so they are going to become communist and put up an iron curtain to keep kids from leaving now. Who's running that place down there anyway?.......Nikita kruschev?? I love how they create a bigger problem by trying to fix a problem. Now the ones who want to leave will just move into district. We are getting all our kids from Russell now anyway who needs the greenup ones anyway.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Well......I've heard it all now. Greenup can't keep kids from leaving so they are going to become communist and put up an iron curtain to keep kids from leaving now. Who's running that place down there anyway?.......Nikita kruschev?? I love how they create a bigger problem by trying to fix a problem. Now the ones who want to leave will just move into district. We are getting all our kids from Russell now anyway who needs the greenup ones anyway.

Actually that is a pretty good example of capitalism.

We have plenty. Go ahead and take what you can get.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:Greenup can keep every one of them as far as i'm concerned! They didn't help any. Bottomline is they didn't want to show up to practice and work at Greenup. Well they didn't want to at Raceland either! I doubt chaging schools is going to help it any. I think transferring once you are already in the varsity level is dumb anyway. Make the decision before you are a freshmen!

I agree, Reed,Reed,Ratliff,Tolliver,Blankenship are ones in Greenup district from what I have been told, all changed before varsity sports and these fine students wanted to excel in the classroom as well.

320+ students leaving Greenup tp go elsewhere........maybe the board needs to figure they need changes starting with themselves. Why not have a district kids try to get into, not leave.
After reading all of this and thinking about it, The main reason my kids and the other 8 kids up my hollow goes to Russell and Raceland is that Greenup kids that go to Greenup get on the bus at 620 a.m..Only (3) kids out of the 11 up my Greenup hollow go to greenup! Myself the academics was the biggest thing, my oldest played college football and will start MED school next year and my youngest will start college next year with his 4.2 GPA from Raceland also he will play college football, so, did I make a mistake sending him to Raceland? I think not! Ram fan004 I also think you graduated from college, how in the crap did all you boys make it at that little run down Raceland school?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6