Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pre-Season 58th District Predictions and Thoughts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know what's wrong with everyone not posting on the basketball forum anymore. Guess it's where football season is still in.

Frontrunner(s)?
Sleeper?
District Player of the Year (just everyones opinion, on who would get it, if it wasn't a senior)?
Conference Player of the Year(Is usually given to a senior, but doesn't have to be)?
Conference Standings?
Etc.
I hate to say it...

Regular season:
1. Pburg (4-2)
2. South Floyd (4-2)
3. Betsy Layne (3-3)
4. Allen Central (1-5)

District Tourney
Champions- Pburg
Runner-Up- South Floyd

Player of the year- Michael Burchett

Sleeper- South Floyd
uhavenoidea Wrote:I don't know what's wrong with everyone not posting on the basketball forum anymore. Guess it's where football season is still in.

Frontrunner(s)?
Sleeper?
District Player of the Year (just everyones opinion, on who would get it, if it wasn't a senior)?
Conference Player of the Year(Is usually given to a senior, but doesn't have to be)?
Conference Standings?
Etc.

Oh and I forgot to include this, just to help everyone out.

Betsy Layne- lost Josh Head, Bryant Tibbs and Richie Tackett(Basically three starters)
Allen Central- return everyone. But, probably wouldn't have won a game last season if South Floyd hadn't had 3 starters out that night, bad to say but true.
South Floyd- return basically everyone, hopefully they'll stay healthy. Also, got a transfer from Rowan County, that can play.
Prestonsburg- lost Patrick, Gearheart, Stumbo, and Tackett. But return Burchett and Jamerson.
BLHS undifeated in district....
South Floyd 2nd.....
It should be wide open , injuries, coaching , and team cohesiveness , playing a big part ! If the bobcats can play together it should be there's for the taking , but, P-burg are the defending champs, (RIC FLAIR, said it best , to be the man, you have to beat the man!),SF, is def. the sleeper, they could be a dangerous team, (they have some nice atheletes,), AC is young, prob. a year or two away (no disrespect ), But, I 'll say this get the bobcats now, the grade school is loaded, ( yes, before you start, I know one hasn't transformed to the other since 1992, but, darn it we're working on it , LOL, ) Good luck, to all county schools, stay healthy, and work hard !!!! ( Where is this years Dist. Tourn.?).
Prestonsburg should be hosting the district tourney.
having the district tourney at prestonsburg will be a great advantage to the blackcats this year.
runninrebs21 Wrote:I hate to say it...

Regular season:
1. Pburg (4-2)
2. South Floyd (4-2)
3. Betsy Layne (3-3)
4. Allen Central (1-5)

District Tourney
Champions- Pburg
Runner-Up- South Floyd

Player of the year- Michael Burchett

Sleeper- South Floyd

I would have to agree with this!!
blackcat93 Wrote:having the district tourney at prestonsburg will be a great advantage to the blackcats this year.

Lol that is an understatement.
Conference Standings: Betsy Layne (5-1), Prestonsburg (4-2), South Floyd (3-3), Allen Central (0-6)
Conference Champion: Betsy Layne Bobcats
Conference Player of the Year: Nathan Martin
District Tournament Champions: Prestonsburg Blackcats
District Tournament MVP: Michael Burchett
Sleeper: South Floyd Raiders
Arguably the weakest district in the state.

IMHO, its a tossup. We've heard the past two seasons about how South Floyd is going to compete for a district title, but have yet to do so. Betsy Layne & Prestonsburg will have their hands full with the Raiders this season though as both teams graduated some valuable players. BL returns more players, but Prestonsburg returns the best player in the district in Michael Burchett. I think the team that has the best defense wins the district, because none of the 4 teams can score at will like we've seen out of teams from this district in the past.
uhavenoidea Wrote:I don't know what's wrong with everyone not posting on the basketball forum anymore. Guess it's where football season is still in.

Frontrunner(s)?
Sleeper?
Conference Standings?
Etc.

Frontrunner- Pburg/South Floyd
Sleeper- South Floyd
District Player of the year- Micheal Burchett
Conference Standings:
South Floyd wins championship
Pburg runner-up
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Arguably the weakest district in the state.

IMHO, its a tossup. We've heard the past two seasons about how South Floyd is going to compete for a district title, but have yet to do so. Betsy Layne & Prestonsburg will have their hands full with the Raiders this season though as both teams graduated some valuable players. BL returns more players, but Prestonsburg returns the best player in the district in Michael Burchett. I think the team that has the best defense wins the district, because none of the 4 teams can score at will like we've seen out of teams from this district in the past.

In 2007-2008, who said SF would win the district?

In 2008-2009, SF may have competed, but hard to compete when one of your starters(Dakota Hall) only played 2 conf. games, both after sitting out 15 games.

Burchett won't be the best player in the district.

P-Burg
Starters

Michael Burchett
Cameron Tincher
Joseph Jamerson
Tyler Hall
Warren Blackburn?

Betsy Layne
Starters

Dylan Maldonado
Bryce Adkins
Nathan Martin
Jordan Newman
Casey Adkins

Bench

Derrick Tackett

South Floyd
Brandon Marson
Shannon Turner
Dakota Hall
Tommy Joe Hall
Dakota Newsome/Corey Paige

Bench
Corey Paige/Dakota Newsome

Couldn't tell ya about AC (Stumbo, Jackson, Jarrell, Nelson, Sailsbury, etc.)

With that said.

1. South Floyd
2. Betsy Layne
3. P-burg/AC
uhavenoidea Wrote:Burchett won't be the best player in the district.

You have got to be kidding me. I agree with everything you said in your post, but that. Prestonsburg will finish third in the district (especially from what I've been hearing), but who is in the district is going to be a better player than Burchett? He is a top 5 or 6 player in the region by most accounts. Nathan Martin of Betsy Layne is probably a top 10 player. Other than that, there isn't even a 58th district player in the top 10 of the 15th region. Burchett is the best player in the district, no doubt. Martin is second, not a close second, but second nonetheless. Turner of South Floyd may be a top 20 player in the region, maybe.
Who's the best player in the district IYO, uhavenoidea?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Who's the best player in the district IYO, uhavenoidea?

He won't be the best player in the district this year.

That's all.
There are three players in the district who are a little bit further ahead than the others, IMO. Those players, in no particular order, are:

Michael Burchett - Prestonsburg
Nathan Martin - Betsy Layne
Shannon Turner - South Floyd

One of these three young men will be Conference/District Player of the Year.
uhavenoidea Wrote:He won't be the best player in the district this year.

That's all.

Why will he not be? Can you answer that?
StrikeoutKing Wrote:There are three players in the district who are a little bit further ahead than the others, IMO. Those players, in no particular order, are:

Michael Burchett - Prestonsburg
Nathan Martin - Betsy Layne
Shannon Turner - South Floyd

One of these three young men will be Conference/District Player of the Year.

One of those 3, ain't even the best player on his team.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Why will he not be? Can you answer that?

Because someone will be better.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Because someone will be better.
Why don't you give us your opinion on who it is then. We're all just simply stating what we think, and all you're doing is saying our opinions are wrong. Why have you not enlightened us with your pick yet? I doubt anyone will jump down your throat for your opinion the way you have with all of ours.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Why don't you give us your opinion on who it is then. We're all just simply stating what we think, and all you're doing is saying our opinions are wrong. Why have you not enlightened us with your pick yet? I doubt anyone will jump down your throat for your opinion the way you have with all of ours.

I haven't jumped down your throat, all I said was one of those 3 ain't the best player on their respective team. Burchett is obviously the best player on his team.

All 3 of the players you spoke of are good.
If the Burchett kid is as good at basketball as he is a football, then he will be 58th player of the year. But the players at SF and BL have not impressed me at all in the last few years, they play with to much "i" in the game. AC is trying to rebuild so i dont see a POY coming from that team.
Conference Standings: Presonsburg, South Floyd, Betsy Layne, Allen Central
Conference Champion: Prestonsburg
Conference Player of the Year: Micheal Burchett
District Tournament Champions: Prestonsburg/South Floyd
District Tournament MVP: Micheal Burchett/Shannon Turner
Sleeper: South Floyd

Regular Season:
Prestonsburg (5-1) Losing to SF
South Floyd(4-2) Losing to P-burg and BL
Betsy Layne (3-3) beatig AC both times and SF one time
Allen Central(0-6)

I think that South Floyd will have the same problem that it has had the last few seasons..... the "I" factor. If everyone doesnt want to out do the other and they actually play as a TEAM then they will be fine if not they will have BIG struggles. I know this teams capabilty and like i said they will do fine if they eliminate the "I"...with that said good luck Raiders....
WOW !!! Just a lot of great posts, and b-ball insight , but , my question is , do we have a team in our district that can compete for a regional title ? ( Iim a football man enlighten me ) THANKS !!!!!
No.
Saratoga_86 Wrote:WOW !!! Just a lot of great posts, and b-ball insight , but , my question is , do we have a team in our district that can compete for a regional title ? ( Iim a football man enlighten me ) THANKS !!!!!

The 58th district may be the weakest in the state as BCA pointed out.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The 58th district may be the weakest in the state as BCA pointed out.

Without knowing each district's teams, I don't think we can say that.

The 15th is possibly the weakest region top to bottom.

15th and 16th are usually about even, or am I wrong?

What about regions 1-5, etc?
Maybe I'm fanish or foolish, to quote sportsnation. Or both.

Nothing against P-Burg, Jack Pack or Michael Burchett.

But, I just don't see how they are gonna be that tough this year. Consensus #1 pre-season pick in the district basically. Ive talked to a few and they seem to think P-burg will go unbeaten in conf. and most on here think 5-1 or 4-2...

Am I thinking too much or what?

They did lose 4 starters and 5 seniors (Jody Tackett, Stephen Patrick, Austin Gearheart, Alex Stumbo, and Seth Setser (not sure if he played)

I just want to know how and why. Not downing the Blackcats, just can't seem to grasp ahold.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Maybe I'm fanish or foolish, to quote sportsnation. Or both.

Nothing against P-Burg, Jack Pack or Michael Burchett.

But, I just don't see how they are gonna be that tough this year. Consensus #1 pre-season pick in the district basically. Ive talked to a few and they seem to think P-burg will go unbeaten in conf. and most on here think 5-1 or 4-2...

Am I thinking too much or what?

They did lose 4 starters and 5 seniors (Jody Tackett, Stephen Patrick, Austin Gearheart, Alex Stumbo, and Seth Setser (not sure if he played)

I just want to know how and why. Not downing the Blackcats, just can't seem to grasp ahold.

Its not as if the 58th district has players with a lot of talent. There's only a handful of players that are above other players in the district. If either of the four teams can play tough hard-nosed defense they stand a chance at winning the district as (IMO) there is no clear favorite in the preseason.

Now, Prestonsburg returns one starter from last season in Michael Burchett. Others who received playing time that return are Tyler Hall, Joseph Jamerson, and Cameron Tincher. Each of those three played sufficient minutes during last season. Hall is a very talented player, but has yet to really play up to his capabilites. He's played very lazy basketball for three years now and if he can turn it on he can become a very nice 2-guard for the Blackcats. Jamerson & Tincher aren't the biggest players in the region, but they may be the two most athletic players in the district. Both where very good on the boards last season, but struggled to score. I believe Jack Pack will work in two other big men in Seth & Corey Carter. Both will be juniors and play a very relaxing game. Both are around 6'3 and will be tough to handle around the paint, but I don't see much scoring out of either. Josh Blackburn & Warren Blackburn look to be the other two guards behind Burchett & Hall. Josh plays physical and may be the best on-ball defender on the team. He's gotta watch his temper though as he's let his emotion get the best of him in the past in JV & summer games. Warren possess speed & ball-handling. He is also a very underrated distributor of the ball and I thought he should have got more playing time on varsity last season behind Tackett & Burchett. Freshman Bryson Williams may also see playing time behind the above guards I've mentioned, but I've never seen him play, but have heard good things.

Therefore, Prestonsburg's starting line-up outta look like this:

F- J. Jamerson
F- C. Tincher
G- J. Blackburn
G- T. Hall
G- M. Burchett

It's possible that one of the Carter's may play the 4 or 5 and Tincher would move down and play the 3.

Role Players:

S. Carter
C. Carter
W. Blackburn
B. Williams
Z. Key
Pages: 1 2