Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Nastiest Hit You've Seen ( in person )
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The other night a couple of friends and I were discussing this topic and I thought it would be fun to bring it here..

I have 2..

1. Larry Moore-Lawrence County-hits WR for Raceland on a slant, WRs leg gets planted in the ground..Moore comes in at the knees and breaks the upper and lower part of the right leg and re-locates his knee cap from the front of his leg to the back.

2. Fred Dean-Lawrence County- hits Greenup Co. QB on a rollout and breaks his jaw....
This is a very violent thread.
Hey stray these two are probably the two nastiest ones that I'm aware of in Lawrence County history, but I would like to hear from other schools. Come on you guys.
(#1) 2006 Pre Game Rockcastle county cheer leaders had the paper banner that all the players run through at the end of the sprit line. And as all the players where going to run through it the team captains was standing on the other side. Mikey Denny and Alex Centers hit the banner at the same time head on. The hit broke Alex's face mask and his upper cheek bone. It gave Mikey a sever conclusion.

(#2) 2001 Sate Simi finals Rockcastle County RB Marty Reagan runs over A Covington catholic defender to score. This was the hardest hit I have seen an offensive player deliver to another Defensive player.

(#3) Former Rockcastle player and now UK football player Brad Durham forces a fumble as he goes in for a sack sack against Bell County QB Kyle Nelson During the 2005 region Championship game.

(#4) 2007 playoffs Rockcastle county Zack Burkhart had a Big Block on a Knox central player that was cutting across field. The kid never saw him. Zack hit him so hard it broke his chin strap.

(#5) in 2000, During the the playoff game between Rockcastle and Ashland. Rockcastle Derrick Bustle layed a kill shot on form Ashland & Kentucky football player Arliss Beach. The hit took Beach out of the game.
The most damaging hit wasn't very nasty at all when Lawrence County's QB Allen Short kept on the option and got hit on the sideline by a Belfry DB. Though it wasn't a violent hit, it still ruptured his spleen and put him in critical condition.

The nastiest hits I have seen personally:
-Chris Wolford of Belfry hit a Pike Central in the open field and lifted him 4 feet off the ground.
- Nick Jamerson of Pburg, who I respect the heck out of as a player, was an underclassmen playing in the 2001 State Finals vs. bardstown. He was the gunner on punt coverage and was zoned in to make a tackle, to the point where he had no clue that a perfectly timed crackback block was coming at him. I swear it knocked him 6 feet away.
- The best I have ever seen though was "The Stiffarm". Belfry vs. Pburg in 2003 in one of the most anticipated matchups ever played in the mountains. In a tight game Doug started to go off and broke a long run down the sideline. Pburg's Joe Blackburn, who was a heck of a ballplayer and a pretty stout lad, takes the angle to stop Howard in the open field. Howard see Blackburn, waits for him to come for the tackle, then delivers the most violent stiffarm I have ever seen on any level of football. The force of the stiffarm literally knocked Blackburn in retrograde for about 5 or 6 feet in the air, Doug just kept going and gained an extra 10 yards. I still feel bad for Blackburn as later that season he earned WYMT Player of the Week, a truly special honor, but his entire piece ended up turning into WYMT playing the clip of the stiffarm over and over and asking him to talk about it HAHA

If Brian Milam reads this is there anyway to dig up that clip so another generation can witness the shear force of "The Stiffarm"?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The most damaging hit wasn't very nasty at all when Lawrence County's QB Allen Short kept on the option and got hit on the sideline by a Belfry DB. Though it wasn't a violent hit, it still ruptured his spleen and put him in critical condition.

The nastiest hits I have seen personally:
-Chris Wolford of Belfry hit a Pike Central in the open field and lifted him 4 feet off the ground.
- Nick Jamerson of Pburg, who I respect the heck out of as a player, was an underclassmen playing in the 2001 State Finals vs. bardstown. He was the gunner on punt coverage and was zoned in to make a tackle, to the point where he had no clue that a perfectly timed crackback block was coming at him. I swear it knocked him 6 feet away.
- The best I have ever seen though was "The Stiffarm". Belfry vs. Pburg in 2003 in one of the most anticipated matchups ever played in the mountains. In a tight game Doug started to go off and broke a long run down the sideline. Pburg's Joe Blackburn, who was a heck of a ballplayer and a pretty stout lad, takes the angle to stop Howard in the open field. Howard see Blackburn, waits for him to come for the tackle, then delivers the most violent stiffarm I have ever seen on any level of football. The force of the stiffarm literally knocked Blackburn in retrograde for about 5 or 6 feet in the air, Doug just kept going and gained an extra 10 yards. I still feel bad for Blackburn as later that season he earned WYMT Player of the Week, a truly special honor, but his entire piece ended up turning into WYMT playing the clip of the stiffarm over and over and asking him to talk about it HAHA

If Brian Milam reads this is there anyway to dig up that clip so another generation can witness the shear force of "The Stiffarm"?

The ruptured spleen occured to Alans little brother Bryan Short was the QB for LC when that happened.
That was Brian Short EKU. I work with him now.Good kid. Still talks about that hit to this day.It was brought up alot last year when we played them.
cobra67 Wrote:That was Brian Short EKU. I work with him now.Good kid. Still talks about that hit to this day.It was brought up alot last year when we played them.

I remember being shocked when I found out the severity of it. The hit itself was very mundane and everyuone assumed he just rolled an ankle, when the ambulance came it was confusing, and then later found out the kid was fighting for his life. Just goes to show how fickle and unexpected injuries can be, the kid was a solid option QB and that cost him his season.
Mike Mitchell of Highlands in the end zone on a Boyle County receiver in the 2004 regular season game. :yikes: It happened in the north end zone, but was clearly audible in the south end zone where we sat.
Louisville Central vs. Louisville Manual 07

Central is up late in the game with Manual trying to take the ball into the endzone for the win. Manual is running a sweep to the right from the 3 or so. Central's LB Tim Patterson meets the TB at the goalline as the TB jumps into the endzone. Patterson hits him while he is in the air and the TB stops and falls on his back right in front of a standing Patterson. But the TB had crossed the goalline and Manual wins the game. Very viscious hit but Manual did get the better of the play.
Bell Co. verse Whitley in 2006 ? at Middlesboro and Bell Safety knock our wide reciever out on a pass across the middle. It broke all four(4) buckles on his helmet.
StrayBullet Wrote:The other night a couple of friends and I were discussing this topic and I thought it would be fun to bring it here..

I have 2..

1. Larry Moore-Lawrence County-hits WR for Raceland on a slant, WRs leg gets planted in the ground..Moore comes in at the knees and breaks the upper and lower part of the right leg and re-locates his knee cap from the front of his leg to the back.

2. Fred Dean-Lawrence County- hits Greenup Co. QB on a rollout and breaks his jaw....

I was at that game. It was the first play of the game, it totally took the air out of the Raceland side.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Mike Mitchell of Highlands in the end zone on a Boyle County receiver in the 2004 regular season game. :yikes: It happened in the north end zone, but was clearly audible in the south end zone where we sat.

This was the hit I was going to mention. A great hit, great timing, and broke up a for sure touchdown. The Boyle kid had to be taken off to the hospital with a lacerated liver or spleen if I remember correctly. Mitchell is in his first year of the NFL, but I have not heard how he is doing yet. The kid was an unbelieveable hitter.
I remember, and I believe it was the same season as "The Stiffarm" (Which I'd love to be on YouTube.) I remember a PBurg player coming past the Belfry cheerleaders and Doug Howard absolutely clobbering him.

Thomas Varney took a big hit from an Ashland defender and lost his helmet a few weeks back, but made the catch.
The hit Dickey Lyons put on the Louisville DB last year was flat out nasty. In high school, back in 1980 Elkhorn City was playing Betsy Layne at Prestonsburg. Timmy "Boatman" Ratliff hit a BL linebacker on a sweep and blood came gushing out of the guys mouth. I don't know what he ruptured or whatever but it was a hellatious hit and a nasty result. As far as I know the kid was OK.
The hardest hit I have seen in person was Pikeville vs. Fleming Neon in 1994 at Neon. Pikeville picked off a pass and was running it up the sideline and was been pursued by a Neon WR when all of the sudden a 300lb Rick Whited with a 30 yard run and go clocked that kid from Neon harder than I have ever seen anyone hit. What made it even better was when the guy who picked off the pass got that block from Ricky he too got hit so hard he hellicpotered and landed out of bounds in a big mud puddle. I still have it on tape and I always watch it at least once a week.
Can you dig it? Wrote:Mike Mitchell of Highlands in the end zone on a Boyle County receiver in the 2004 regular season game. :yikes: It happened in the north end zone, but was clearly audible in the south end zone where we sat.

I was in the stands for that one....wow what a freakin hit. The poor kid from Boyle Co had to leave the game and was actually a pretty good RB.
Quote:(#3) Former Rockcastle player and now UK football player Brad Durham forces a fumble as he goes in for a sack sack against Bell County QB Kyle Nelson During the 2005 region Championship game.

Bell against Rockcastle 2007 Tyler Harbin cuts cross field on punt return and completely lays out the rockcastle player.....

Bell against Mcreary central 2008 Tyler Harbin crosses field on a bell county fake field goal and absolutely destroys a mcreary player running down sideline he was knocked unconscious had to be carried off field by trainers and coaches and rode in an ambulance to hospital. HE WAS OK AS WAS THE FIRST PLAYER I TALKED ABOUT AND THATS ALL THE MATTERS IS SAFETY
probably when anthony chapman from pike central was running the ball and destroyed emanuel newsome from valley in that triple overtime pike county bowl game(which is the best game i've ever seen) emanuelss earpads and blatter came out of his helmet but still made the tackle, i was on the sidelines with my dad and it sounded like a 12 guage.

when i was a freshman big john johnson wrung my bell in a tackling drill and i was actually dissey and seen stars for like 10 minutes after the hit....lol

my little brother wyatt branham broke a letcher central jr high kids helmet last saturday, a d-lineman had the kid by the jersey and he came from the outside linebacker an frailed that boy.

those are the best three ive seen/been apart of.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arOestvrbdU"]YouTube - Football Hit[/ame] video evidence no he didn't return to the game.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:...

You mean "The Right Cross"... as it was no stiffarm, it was an open-fisted PUNCH. The arm is supposed to be extended as the tackler come in (hence, "stiff"arm), not shoot out when the tackler has closed. But yeah, it was certainly violent. Confusedhh: Wink

Joe DID make the TD saving solo tackle after taking the lick, though (everyone forgets that part).
oneijoe Wrote:You mean "The Right Cross"... as it was no stiffarm, it was an open-fisted PUNCH. The arm is supposed to be extended as the tackler come in (hence, "stiff"arm), not shoot out when the tackler has closed. But yeah, it was certainly violent. Confusedhh: Wink

Joe DID make the TD saving solo tackle after taking the lick, though (everyone forgets that part).

No he didn't.....Jesse Chafin and Trevor Compton made the TD saving tackle, althoguh Howard slowing up to punch/stiffarm (whatever) Blackburn is what kept him from turning the corner.
My best memory was in Pikeville in 1996! The Panthers had this huge running back though his name escapes me. They where playing F-N and neon had a huge man on the line by the name of Rodney Hall. His nickname was Dusty and was 6'6 300 plus and a brute. Pikevilles back was also huge and fast kinda reminded you of The Bus. Anyway they ran him up the gut right at Dusty and those two hit head on and the sound it made was thunderous. If any lesser man had been caught between them he would have been cashed. The back lost the battle and was sent reeling backwards. It was the loudest crack and most epic collision i have ever seen.
Hilbily Wrote:My best memory was in Pikeville in 1996! The Panthers had this huge running back though his name escapes me. They where playing F-N and neon had a huge man on the line by the name of Rodney Hall. His nickname was Dusty and was 6'6 300 plus and a brute. Pikevilles back was also huge and fast kinda reminded you of The Bus. Anyway they ran him up the gut right at Dusty and those two hit head on and the sound it made was thunderous. If any lesser man had been caught between them he would have been cashed. The back lost the battle and was sent reeling backwards. It was the loudest crack and most epic collision i have ever seen.

Eddie Deramus was his name.
Thats it bro!! You just had to be there to see that one. it sent Deramus reeling backwards and he buckled in agony. Though Rodney Hall had won the battle you could just tell by his body langauge that he paid dearly for delivering that shot. He was standing all slooped over like he got butted by a ram. Pikeville went on to thrash Neon pretty bad after that.
i seen tebow get cracked earlier from in the stands (sec. 119) it was amazing to bad we had a horrible 1st quater.
central fan Wrote:i seen tebow get cracked earlier from in the stands (sec. 119) it was amazing to bad we had a horrible 1st quater.

I was waiting for someone from the game to post under this thread about that that..I never wish harm on someone and even Tim Tebow but that was nasty lick..
adam cannoys hit on a prestonsburg reciever in 05 knocked him out of the game and sparked a war of words between coaches josh albers hit on waverly's wr the other night was vicious
The LCC-PCC game this past Friday. Jordan Amis was scrambling and # 86 for LCC was closing in on him. Then someone threw a blindside block on him. It was nasty!!!
StrayBullet Wrote:The other night a couple of friends and I were discussing this topic and I thought it would be fun to bring it here..

I have 2..

Fred Dean-Lawrence County- hits Greenup Co. QB on a rollout and breaks his jaw..I was there seen it all, man that was a HARD open field tackle.:redboxer:
Pages: 1 2