Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hardest throwing pitchers in the 15th?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just list and give speed if possible.
of course i think sheppard is up there...he got clocked at 88 one time at pikeville..his average was 85 to 86 though..
You have to throw Cody Parker in there. He can get it up there in the 80's.
Have to go with Cody Parker for Johnson Central.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Have to go with Cody Parker for Johnson Central.
I doubt if cody hit 80 more than oncs tonightm but he had more command of his pitches.
The hardest throwing Pitchers I have seen in the 15th this year have been Shepherd, Lyons and Huffman, all can hit mid 80's, but usually stay around 79-81.
JCHS05 Wrote:You have to throw Cody Parker in there. He can get it up there in the 80's.

man there is no way!!! He might have hit 80 once tonight against Paintsville and that was with a strong breeze behind him. I'm with Guru, Shepherd, Lyons and Huffman are the strongest I've seen in this region---popping low to mid 80's about 65% of the time.
Actually, Shepherd is at a level all by himself, velocity wise that is. Nobody else is even close.
cody varney from valley can throw hard
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Actually, Shepherd is at a level all by himself, velocity wise that is. Nobody else is even close.
I can only go on seeing him one game this year, and he hit 86 once, 85 2 times and the rest was 79-81. IMO, that doesn't put him in a class by himself. Lyons might not have hit 86, but was consistenly 79-82. Huffman stayed consistently in the 78-80 range the 2 games I saw him. JMO, but that seems fairly comparable as far as speed goes. Shep definately has the better command of his pitches on a more consistant basis though. That might be what seperates him from the rest.
The Guru Wrote:I can only go on seeing him one game this year, and he hit 86 once, 85 2 times and the rest was 79-81. IMO, that doesn't put him in a class by himself. Lyons might not have hit 86, but was consistenly 79-82. Huffman stayed consistently in the 78-80 range the 2 games I saw him. JMO, but that seems fairly comparable as far as speed goes. Shep definately has the better command of his pitches on a more consistant basis though. That might be what seperates him from the rest.

I assume you are referring to the game against Paintsville a couple of weeks ago. It's understandable why you would have your opinion. However, just one week later he was consistantly in the 85-87 range at Pikeville. When the weather heats up and the season goes on I think you will see that being more his norm with him touching 90. There has been a lot of gross exaggerations on him being consistantly in the 90's and him throwing 94 and the such from overly zealous fans, but in reality, he is a legitimate mid to upper 80's consistant thrower who will hit 90. For a high school, especially for a sophomore that is outstanding. Not taking away anything from anybody else and not in any way diminishing anyone else's ability, but it is just my opinion that nobody else in the region can even come close to hitting those numbers even on their very best night.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I assume you are referring to the game against Paintsville a couple of weeks ago. It's understandable why you would have your opinion. However, just one week later he was consistantly in the 85-87 range at Pikeville. When the weather heats up and the season goes on I think you will see that being more his norm with him touching 90. There has been a lot of gross exaggerations on him being consistantly in the 90's and him throwing 94 and the such from overly zealous fans, but in reality, he is a legitimate mid to upper 80's consistant thrower who will hit 90. For a high school, especially for a sophomore that is outstanding. Not taking away anything from anybody else and not in any way diminishing anyone else's ability, but it is just my opinion that nobody else in the region can even come close to hitting those numbers even on their very best night.

I agree that he is the best pitcher in the 15th , he has command and good velocity, but he's not close to 90 ....it's mid 80's at best....

next would be lyons IMO usually has good command and low 80's

Seth Rice Low 80's and good command of his pitches

Parker imo ....not very impressed not much velocity 70's and not much of an off speed pitch....

conley is a much better pitcher ....when not injured....

Huffman has low 80's velocity but lacks command ....
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I assume you are referring to the game against Paintsville a couple of weeks ago. It's understandable why you would have your opinion. However, just one week later he was consistantly in the 85-87 range at Pikeville. When the weather heats up and the season goes on I think you will see that being more his norm with him touching 90. There has been a lot of gross exaggerations on him being consistantly in the 90's and him throwing 94 and the such from overly zealous fans, but in reality, he is a legitimate mid to upper 80's consistant thrower who will hit 90. For a high school, especially for a sophomore that is outstanding. Not taking away anything from anybody else and not in any way diminishing anyone else's ability, but it is just my opinion that nobody else in the region can even come close to hitting those numbers even on their very best night.

When you have a family member who sets in the dugout during games and rubs your pitching arm and shoulder down in-between innings you're going to have a tremendous impact on the games you pitch (seen this happening in the corner of the dugout in the Paintsville/ LC game). Now I'm not taking anything away from the kid because he does have talent but each team needs one of those in their dugouts too I think.
INSIGHT Wrote:I agree that he is the best pitcher in the 15th , he has command and good velocity, but he's not close to 90 ....it's mid 80's at best....

Parker imo ....not very impressed not much velocity 70's and not much of an off speed pitch....

Not even going to get into debate on who is better and all of that stuff. This thread was just about who throws the hardest in the 15th region and that is the only thing I am commenting on.

There is absolutely nobody that has loved to ride the Lawrence fans anymore than me because of their over exaggerations. You may not agree with me on my Shepherd statements but they are 100% accurate. I will give the proper credit due where proper credit is due. He can, and has hit 90 several times and can throw upper 80's with no problem whatsoever. Trust me, Cincinnati Midland is not interested in kids that are mid 80's at best. I assure you that the Paintsville game was not his norm, velocity wise.
Allie Katt Wrote:When you have a family member who sets in the dugout during games and rubs your pitching arm and shoulder down in-between innings you're going to have a tremendous impact on the games you pitch (seen this happening in the corner of the dugout in the Paintsville/ LC game). Now I'm not taking anything away from the kid because he does have talent but each team needs one of those in their dugouts too I think.

Let's get this info clarified before more rumors get going-the lady in the dugout is a volunteer "trainer" and is related to Chandler, but she does take care of every player on the team as needed.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Not even going to get into debate on who is better and all of that stuff. This thread was just about who throws the hardest in the 15th region and that is the only thing I am commenting on.

There is absolutely nobody that has loved to ride the Lawrence fans anymore than me because of their over exaggerations. You may not agree with me on my Shepherd statements but they are 100% accurate. I will give the proper credit due where proper credit is due. He can, and has hit 90 several times and can throw upper 80's with no problem whatsoever. Trust me, Cincinnati Midland is not interested in kids that are mid 80's at best. I assure you that the Paintsville game was not his norm, velocity wise.

After watching the game at Paintsville and the one at Pikeville, I know he appeared to be two different pitchers. At Pikeville, a fan from Pikeville said Shep stayed consistently in the 85-87 range and hit 89 as well, his curve was 77 according to him. I dont know if anyone gunned him at Paintsville but he was obviously not that high on the gun. I saw a gun on his last pitch in the region last year and it said 89. The kid is as Kimball said a mid to upper 80's and can touch 90 I am sure. Also Midland would have no interest in low to mid 80's pitching. They are one of the premier travel teams in the country.

Huffman was consistently 81-84 on the night he pitched against LC. They said he only had two walks and 14 K's. He looked to have good control from what I saw. This may not be his norm, but on that night he did have it going.
Huffman, Sheppard, Parker, Varney. I think all these boys can throw pretty hard.
INSIGHT Wrote:I agree that he is the best pitcher in the 15th , he has command and good velocity, but he's not close to 90 ....it's mid 80's at best....

you have no idea what u are talking about when u say sheppard is not close to 90...he got clocked at 88 twice at pikeville and that was in cold weather..we will see what he hits when the temp. warms up..................the rest of them u seem to be right on the money though!
Raspberryjuice23 Wrote:you have no idea what u are talking about when u say sheppard is not close to 90...he got clocked at 88 twice at pikeville and that was in cold weather..we will see what he hits when the temp. warms up..................the rest of them u seem to be right on the money though!

I'm not taking anything away from the kid......what was he gunned at this weekend in the heat at PRP.......????
Joel Meade from East Ridge throws in the 80's
INSIGHT Wrote:I'm not taking anything away from the kid......what was he gunned at this weekend in the heat at PRP.......????

HIGH 80's
Shep is solid... He is a very good pitcher... but I do not think he is as good as he is made out to be... Not trying to take anything from him.... but I have heard people say they think he will be drafted in the first 5 rounds his senior year... Which is not true... Midland would not take him either... Their "young" teams worst pitcher is 89-91 consistantly with NASTY ofspeed stuff.... I faced Shep 1 time in high school and had 2 hits off him, and I was not much of a hitter. When I was in college I saw 2 kids that reminded me of him a lot... The number 2 at Ohio Dominican, and the number 1 at Malone University. Both of them were better then him... but I look at the fact that he is younger then them, if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight I think he can be a high pitcher in a rotation of an NAIA school, or he can be bottom of the barrel at a D-1 school
Bosox Fan Wrote:Shep is solid... He is a very good pitcher... but I do not think he is as good as he is made out to be... Not trying to take anything from him.... but I have heard people say they think he will be drafted in the first 5 rounds his senior year... Which is not true... Midland would not take him either... Their "young" teams worst pitcher is 89-91 consistantly with NASTY ofspeed stuff.... I faced Shep 1 time in high school and had 2 hits off him, and I was not much of a hitter. When I was in college I saw 2 kids that reminded me of him a lot... The number 2 at Ohio Dominican, and the number 1 at Malone University. Both of them were better then him... but I look at the fact that he is younger then them, if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight I think he can be a high pitcher in a rotation of an NAIA school, or he can be bottom of the barrel at a D-1 school

What do you mean Midland wouldn't take him? it's a done deal-he's playing there this summer and was asked to play there last summer as well...
I watched both games closely and in their entirety. He throwing about 4-6 mph faster on average at Pikeville. This is just from watching, but it was evident that he was on more at Pikeville, which is hard to do because he shut both teams down.
Commanche Wrote:After watching the game at Paintsville and the one at Pikeville, I know he appeared to be two different pitchers. At Pikeville, a fan from Pikeville said Shep stayed consistently in the 85-87 range and hit 89 as well, his curve was 77 according to him. I dont know if anyone gunned him at Paintsville but he was obviously not that high on the gun. I saw a gun on his last pitch in the region last year and it said 89. The kid is as Kimball said a mid to upper 80's and can touch 90 I am sure. Also Midland would have no interest in low to mid 80's pitching. They are one of the premier travel teams in the country.

Huffman was consistently 81-84 on the night he pitched against LC. They said he only had two walks and 14 K's. He looked to have good control from what I saw. This may not be his norm, but on that night he did have it going.

This.
Bosox Fan Wrote:Shep is solid... He is a very good pitcher... but I do not think he is as good as he is made out to be... Not trying to take anything from him.... but I have heard people say they think he will be drafted in the first 5 rounds his senior year... Which is not true... Midland would not take him either... Their "young" teams worst pitcher is 89-91 consistantly with NASTY ofspeed stuff.... I faced Shep 1 time in high school and had 2 hits off him, and I was not much of a hitter. When I was in college I saw 2 kids that reminded me of him a lot... The number 2 at Ohio Dominican, and the number 1 at Malone University. Both of them were better then him... but I look at the fact that he is younger then them, if he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight I think he can be a high pitcher in a rotation of an NAIA school, or he can be bottom of the barrel at a D-1 school

Midland did take him, and as a matter of fact they didn't even make him come down and try out. To say the young teams worst pitcher is 89-91 is a little rediculus, and completely untrue.

So let me get this straight you are already comparing him to a pretty good college program's #1 pitcher and he is not even driving yet? I would have loved to have been compared to a #1 college pitcher when I was a sophomore in high school, haha!

And yes I believe it just like a lot of other people do, if Shepherd keeps improving and gains 1 to 2 MPH a year, and develops and changeup, then yes he will get drafted, and even if he doesn't get drafted he will be playing at a D1 level school, and wll be in their top rotation.

I have only one question, you faced Shepherd one time in high school and got two hits? Wow! Now that is one impressive at-bat, haha! i'm only kidding with you, I know what you mean.
Dawg@heart Wrote:Let's get this info clarified before more rumors get going-the lady in the dugout is a volunteer "trainer" and is related to Chandler, but she does take care of every player on the team as needed.

:thatsfunn that's cute how you used the " " marks...just thought I'd pass that along
Got to see Shep throw @ Pikeville. He is def. the hardest thrower in the Region. Then comes Lyons and Huffman.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Midland did take him, and as a matter of fact they didn't even make him come down and try out. To say the young teams worst pitcher is 89-91 is a little rediculus, and completely untrue.

I messed up there... I meant their older team, was saying he would be on the younger team, but i dont see how he made the older team... I left the computer in the middle of that and lost my thought... hes a solid pitcher, watched him at the state tourny last yr and he impressed me... I still dont think he will get drafted high... I'm not saying it is impossible, but i would be surprised but him getting drafted is not out of the picture,
Bosox Fan Wrote:I messed up there... I meant their older team, was saying he would be on the younger team, but i dont see how he made the older team... I left the computer in the middle of that and lost my thought... hes a solid pitcher, watched him at the state tourny last yr and he impressed me... I still dont think he will get drafted high... I'm not saying it is impossible, but i would be surprised but him getting drafted is not out of the picture,

Well of course it for the younger team-being the 16 year olds. He is 16. So were you saying that when you got your hits off him, he was a 7th or 8th grader?
Lefty Wrote::thatsfunn that's cute how you used the " " marks...just thought I'd pass that along

Truth is that besides being retired from the military, her training is in sports therapy, emphasizing on sports massage. I understand she traveled to Wimbleton several times and worked on several players for the Falcons when she lived in Atlanta.

Most school systems can't or won't pay for a trainer. She does it strictly on her own and those boys depend on her being there. Don't think theres any reason to make remarks about it-

Have to agree with Allie kat-every school needs one. Just not all lucky enough to have someone volunteer their time to do it. LC is fortunate.
Pages: 1 2