Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland vs. Rowan Co. - 16th Region Tourney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have to go with my kittens in a close one by 1.
Edge goes to Rowan for several reasons. Playing in backyard, Wilcox not healthy, Rowan has great defense and the refs are from another region.
Rowan by 13+
Pittsburgh Fish Wrote:Edge goes to Rowan for several reasons. Playing in backyard, Wilcox not healthy, Rowan has great defense and the refs are from another region.
Rowan by 13+

If the officials let them play like they did last night Ashland is in trouble. With that being said I liked the way the officials called and allowed the kids to play, at least it went both ways.
LET EM PLAY Wrote:If the officials let them play like they did last night Ashland is in trouble. With that being said I liked the way the officials called and allowed the kids to play, at least it went both ways.

I agree, I also liked the way that the 9th region refs called the games. They let them play, but called it fair. I agree that Ashland will have to get mean and take the fight to Rowan if they want to win this game.
Im going with my girls.
Ali's healthy enough to play, and Connor is unstoppable under the basketball.
Strait has also been having a great senior season.

If it's anything like the last match-up between the two, it will be a battle till the end.
*under the basket
Are they same refs from last year? I believe they called some of the defensive hand checking Rowan is infamous for getting away with in the 16th region. I'll take Ashland by 4. GO KITTENS!!!!!!!
Oh Hand Checking.
Let's Get Em Girls!
kittennation Wrote:Are they same refs from last year? I believe they called some of the defensive hand checking Rowan is infamous for getting away with in the 16th region. I'll take Ashland by 4. GO KITTENS!!!!!!!

They did'nt call any hand checking or much of anything else last night, I thought Rowan played pretty clean defense last night.
Overall pretty good officials last night. They did not call hands in both games.There were a lot of times they should have called hands but it was even. When a player uses hands to stop or force direction change it probably should be called. Actually noticed players several times in open court with one hand on front and the other on their back. Just my opinion.
Rowan will take this one easily, espically if they are allowed to use their hands.
RC by 12+. Rowan's defense is just too much for the kittens. Rowan has the right game plan and if Wilcox or Strait can't get open looks this one migh get ugly!
Dfenz Wrote:RC by 12+. Rowan's defense is just too much for the kittens. Rowan has the right game plan and if Wilcox or Strait can't get open looks this one migh get ugly!

These Rowan comments sound very familiar from last year at this time. Most Rowan fans predicted a double digit win over the Kittens last time as well. Rowan does play good defense, but no better than last year (especially in the half-court although they are still very good). Ashland's Conner has steadlily gotten better this season - a turning point for her was actually dropping 29 points on Rowan earlier this season. Rowan cannot guard her wilth one man - thus opening up shots on the perimeter (Strait and Wilcox). If Ashland can keep Rowan off the offensive glass, this game will be a good one (IMO).
Rowan by 15
Rowan by 12
Rowan by 13+.
I see this one to be a close game. rowan by 3!
Skip Pass Wrote:These Rowan comments sound very familiar from last year at this time. Most Rowan fans predicted a double digit win over the Kittens last time as well. Rowan does play good defense, but no better than last year (especially in the half-court although they are still very good). Ashland's Conner has steadlily gotten better this season - a turning point for her was actually dropping 29 points on Rowan earlier this season. Rowan cannot guard her wilth one man - thus opening up shots on the perimeter (Strait and Wilcox). If Ashland can keep Rowan off the offensive glass, this game will be a good one (IMO).

Ashland is not the same team they were last year!! Lets see last year they were 24-5 (only two losses in the region) this year . . .18-9 (already 4 losses in the region). So if we are talking about last year compared to this year seems to me that Ashland is not as good! Amd Rowan's defense isnt any better than last year?? Really!? Well lets see they played a tougher schedule this year and have a better record as well. . . something must be better and I dont think its their offense. One player (Conner) will not beat Rowan!! Like I said shut Wilcox, Strait, etc. down and Rowan will win easily! They had the right game plan the first time they played and unless Ashland can pull out some sort of magic trick I dont see the outcome being any different! (IMO)
Ashland by 3
Should be another very interesting matchup between these two. I'll take Rowan by 10.

Good luck to both teams!
Rowan Co. by 14
Dfenz Wrote:Ashland is not the same team they were last year!! Lets see last year they were 24-5 (only two losses in the region) this year . . .18-9 (already 4 losses in the region). So if we are talking about last year compared to this year seems to me that Ashland is not as good! Amd Rowan's defense isnt any better than last year?? Really!? Well lets see they played a tougher schedule this year and have a better record as well. . . something must be better and I dont think its their offense. One player (Conner) will not beat Rowan!! Like I said shut Wilcox, Strait, etc. down and Rowan will win easily! They had the right game plan the first time they played and unless Ashland can pull out some sort of magic trick I dont see the outcome being any different! (IMO)

IMO its not Rowan's defense that has made them a better team than last year, it IS there offense and especially their offensive rebounding. Losing Spurlock did take away from both their press and half-court defense. Rowan is not able to push offensive guards into the midcourt line this year (and thus stop teams from starting their offensive sets) as they could when BOTH Spurlock and Brockman were in the lineup.

I DO think that Rowan's half-court offense is much better than last year, and no team goes to the offensive boards like Rowan where they get a lot of second chance points. Again JMO.

And you are right that if Rowan shuts down both Wilcox and Strait that they do have a very good shot at beating the Kittens. But for that matter, if Ashland shuts down both Brockman and Martin then they also have a very good shot at beating Rowan.
The athletic edge goes to Rowan. Ashland shoots the 3 better and they have Conner inside. If the Refs LET EM PLAY Rowan wins this one by 8.
LET EM PLAY Wrote:The athletic edge goes to Rowan. Ashland shoots the 3 better and they have Conner inside. If the Refs LET EM PLAY Rowan wins this one by 8.

I agree that Rowan does have the better athletes and if the refs let both teams play this favors Rowan. With that being said, I always want the teams to be able to "fight it out" on the court without the refs controlling the game "too" much. Call the legitimate fouls that affect play, but don't call the ticky-tacky stuff. Basketball is still a contact sport to a point.

With that being said, good luck to both Ashland and Rowan.
Skip Pass Wrote:I agree that Rowan does have the better athletes and if the refs let both teams play this favors Rowan. With that being said, I always want the teams to be able to "fight it out" on the court without the refs controlling the game "too" much. Call the legitimate fouls that affect play, but don't call the ticky-tacky stuff. Basketball is still a contact sport to a point.

With that being said, good luck to both Ashland and Rowan.

I have to agree with your assessment of the match up. Its a shame these two are in the same bracket, they appear to be the only teams capable of putting the ball in the hole. There have been some some really bad offensive performances so far from the rest of the teams. The winner of this one has to be the favorite for the rest of the way. Which group of officials are calling this game? One group seems to let it get a little rougher than the other group.
The difference between these teams of last year and this year, is one player. Her name Lashia Ward. She spear headed Bradley's defense and offense. Ashland has absolutley no athleticism on the team outside of the Freshmen Farris. This is not a slam to the Kittens, it is just the facts. Bradley is a very good coach and will have a good game plan but, but, but, but the truth of the matter is that there is no quickness on Ashland's team (Farrow has some but is too little to really defend) as I stated earlier its Rowan's backyard (it does make a difference) quick guards that defend and Brockman will probably push Connors off the block. With that being said, Connors is hard to handle in this era of girls basketball and she has come a long long ways since last year but it will be her height nothing more. My predicition is that if Ashland plays man, Rowan will take Connors out of the paint, if Connors slags back like against Lewis then Brockman will have 20+. Good luck to both teams. The Pittsburgh Fish has spoken now someone else take the bait.
Pittsburgh Fish Wrote:The difference between these teams of last year and this year, is one player. Her name Lashia Ward. She spear headed Bradley's defense and offense. Ashland has absolutley no athleticism on the team outside of the Freshmen Farris. This is not a slam to the Kittens, it is just the facts. Bradley is a very good coach and will have a good game plan but, but, but, but the truth of the matter is that there is no quickness on Ashland's team (Farrow has some but is too little to really defend) as I stated earlier its Rowan's backyard (it does make a difference) quick guards that defend and Brockman will probably push Connors off the block. With that being said, Connors is hard to handle in this era of girls basketball and she has come a long long ways since last year but it will be her height nothing more. My predicition is that if Ashland plays man, Rowan will take Connors out of the paint, if Connors slags back like against Lewis then Brockman will have 20+. Good luck to both teams. The Pittsburgh Fish has spoken now someone else take the bait.

OK, I'm game Pittsburgh Fish, but just be warned that I skin the fish I catch.

First off, some of your comments just don't make any sense (unless you just made some careless mistakes or didn't explain yourself very well). "Brockman pushing Conner off the block"? Are you saying that Brockman will be guarding Conner in the post - I can only hope so (and if so, an early congrats to Conner for scoring 50 points regardless of who wins). I'm assuming you meant to say Riddle will be pushing Conner off the block. But then again, Conner wasn't pushed off the block in Ashland's first match-up with Rowan when she scored 29 points.

Regarding Ashland's defense, I believe that Bradley knows the strengths and weaknesses of his defense and of Rowan's offense. Bradley knows that Conner can't stray from the paint too much defensively and he will come up with an effective defensive strategy to allow for this. If this means that Rowan gets a few more outside shots off (not their strong point) - so be it. Rowan will not get clear drives to the basket or cuts down the lane (Rowan's offensive strong point).

Why would Brockman score 20+ if Conner stays in the paint? Conner will not be the primary defender of Brockman (of course) and Brockman does not do most of her scoring on the perimeter. Brockman will have problems if she encounters Conner on her drives in the lane (contrary to your comments).

To say that "It is Conner's height and nothing more" is a ridiculous statement. I personally believe that she has some of the best footwork for a center in the region, but that's beside the point. Of course her height makes her a better player, just as Brockman's speed makes her a better player. Take these qualities from either player and you just have marginal players instead of the impact players they are now.

But, I do agree with you that Rowan is much more athletic than Ashland. But I remember some very good Princeton teams that beat a lot of teams much more athletic than themselves. Good game plans have been known to "offset" the strengths of the opposing team.

All this being said - who is the favorite? - no question it is Rowan. Ashland will have to play well to win this game, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it goes down to the wire.
IMO Rowan is just to strong and physical for Ashland. Especially the way the 9th region refs let you play as cpmpared to the 16th region refs.
16BBall Fan Wrote:IMO Rowan is just to strong and physical for Ashland. Especially the way the 9th region refs let you play as cpmpared to the 16th region refs.

I agree that Rowan is a very physical, quick, and intense team. Having 9th region officials certainly favors their style of play. Ashland will just have to notch up their intensity and adjust (if they can). I'm sure that Rowan knows that having 9th region officials is to their advantage and will play accordingly. I am very impressed with Rowan's "gutsy" style and I really respect them for it. I believe that this is the one intangible that sets them apart from all the other 16th region teams.
Skip Pass Wrote:OK, I'm game Pittsburgh Fish, but just be warned that I skin the fish I catch.

First off, some of your comments just don't make any sense (unless you just made some careless mistakes or didn't explain yourself very well). "Brockman pushing Conner off the block"? Are you saying that Brockman will be guarding Conner in the post - I can only hope so (and if so, an early congrats to Conner for scoring 50 points regardless of who wins). I'm assuming you meant to say Riddle will be pushing Conner off the block. But then again, Conner wasn't pushed off the block in Ashland's first match-up with Rowan when she scored 29 points.

Regarding Ashland's defense, I believe that Bradley knows the strengths and weaknesses of his defense and of Rowan's offense. Bradley knows that Conner can't stray from the paint too much defensively and he will come up with an effective defensive strategy to allow for this. If this means that Rowan gets a few more outside shots off (not their strong point) - so be it. Rowan will not get clear drives to the basket or cuts down the lane (Rowan's offensive strong point).

Why would Brockman score 20+ if Conner stays in the paint? Conner will not be the primary defender of Brockman (of course) and Brockman does not do most of her scoring on the perimeter. Brockman will have problems if she encounters Conner on her drives in the lane (contrary to your comments).

To say that "It is Conner's height and nothing more" is a ridiculous statement. I personally believe that she has some of the best footwork for a center in the region, but that's beside the point. Of course her height makes her a better player, just as Brockman's speed makes her a better player. Take these qualities from either player and you just have marginal players instead of the impact players they are now.

But, I do agree with you that Rowan is much more athletic than Ashland. But I remember some very good Princeton teams that beat a lot of teams much more athletic than themselves. Good game plans have been known to "offset" the strengths of the opposing team.

All this being said - who is the favorite? - no question it is Rowan. Ashland will have to play well to win this game, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me if it goes down to the wire.

Mannnnnnnnn, your knife cut me deep and skinned me pretty good. You are right, I meant Riddle but I stand by the rest of my post.

We could debate this all day, I am sure if Rowan wins then it we be the refs at fault. Contrary to your belief Princeton had some athletes. Played against their starting point guard for several years and he was very athletic, quick, strong and could play the game. Please dont compare you and the rest of Bill's staff and team to Princeton's Mens Squads...that doesnt make any sense.

As for Connors, like I said she is good for this time and age when other than Brooke Keeton in the 16th Region she plays against centers 8 inches shorter than her. I agree you have worked wonders with her to make her a good post up player since last year. Let your coaching and your team do the talking come Thursday night. Look for me, the Pittsburgh Fish sitting behind the North end basket.:Thumbs:
Pittsburgh Fish Wrote:Mannnnnnnnn, your knife cut me deep and skinned me pretty good. You are right, I meant Riddle but I stand by the rest of my post.

We could debate this all day, I am sure if Rowan wins then it we be the refs at fault. Contrary to your belief Princeton had some athletes. Played against their starting point guard for several years and he was very athletic, quick, strong and could play the game. Please dont compare you and the rest of Bill's staff and team to Princeton's Mens Squads...that doesnt make any sense.

As for Connors, like I said she is good for this time and age when other than Brooke Keeton in the 16th Region she plays against centers 8 inches shorter than her. I[B] agree you have worked wonders with her to make her a good post up player since last year. [B]Let your coaching and your team do the talking come Thursday night.[/B][/B] Look for me, the Pittsburgh Fish sitting behind the North end basket.:Thumbs:

IMO if Rowan wins it will be due to the good play of its team and good coaching by Tackett. The refs will not win the game for either of these teams.

I'll give your compliment to the Ashland coaches when and if I see them before the game on Thursday:Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2