Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland vs. Rowan Co. - 16th Region Tourney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Skip Pass Wrote:IMO if Rowan wins it will be due to the good play of its team and good coaching by Tackett. The refs will not win the game for either of these teams.
I'll give your compliment to the Ashland coaches when and if I see them before the game on Thursday:Thumbs:

:thanks: Oh, I am sure you we see them before Thursday.

About the refs, thats all I read about last year on another site by one of Ashlands coaches/Stat man/Water Boy or whater ever he does for Bradley.
I will be sure to bring some cheese for after the game. :lmao:
PF and SP, maybe you girls/guys should take it to the PM's.

My prediction on the game is that the team with the most points will win. :biggrin:
Old Shooter Wrote:PF and SP, maybe you girls/guys should take it to the PM's.
My prediction on the game is that the team with the most points will win. :biggrin:

You must have thought you were on another site. :lmao:
Old Shooter Wrote:PF and SP, maybe you girls/guys should take it to the PM's.

Old Shooter is everywhere! :biggrin:
To say that Rowan is the only team that hand checks is absurd. I saw most of the 16th region teams play and they all do it...especially Boyd and Ashland. Most of the teams in the 16th don't know how to play defense the way it should be taught. Lack of good defense will result in committing more fouls. It's all about this play and that play...get back to the basics!
Bombshell Stomp Wrote:To say that Rowan is the only team that hand checks is absurd. I saw most of the 16th region teams play and they all do it...especially Boyd and Ashland. Most of the teams in the 16th don't know how to play defense the way it should be taught. Lack of good defense will result in committing more fouls. It's all about this play and that play...get back to the basics!

Who said that Rowan county is the only team that hand checks? I think when people say that Rowan plays physical defense that it should be taken as a compliment. Rowan really "pushes" the offense and takes them out of their offensive sets by getting in the passing lanes. It doesn't necessarily mean that they hack. The closer the "d" means that some refs will be more prone to call "Ticky-tak" fouls. I like that the 9th region refs let the girls play.

Of course, when a team plays more aggressive defense and constantly presses they may find themselves in more situations where they my accidentally foul more than a team that plays a soft defense. Give me the aggressive defensive team anyday, regardless of who the refs are
This should be a great game. I am worried that Wilcox will not be at 100% full strength and Kim has not been shooting very well as of late. This could be their last game and I am confident that both will give it all they have and leave it on the floor.

Some advice to my Tomcat/Kitten brothers and sisters that frequently read and post on this site, you do not need to defend every post that you read. My gesture would be that some of these posters should take a stroll in the lobby of Paul G. Blazer High School and see for themselves the outstanding accomplishments by all the sports programs at Ashland, both in Boys and Girls.

With all your good intentions Skip Pass you sometimes come across as apologetic and you take the bait of certain big mouth fish that swim around on here enticing you with maroon colored lures. Let it go.

After we pull off the upset come Thursday night it will silence the envious posters.
Tomcat Great Wrote:This should be a great game. I am worried that Wilcox will not be at 100% full strength and Kim has not been shooting very well as of late. This could be their last game and I am confident that both will give it all they have and leave it on the floor.

Some advice to my Tomcat/Kitten brothers and sisters that frequently read and post on this site, you do not need to defend every post that you read. My gesture would be that some of these posters should take a stroll in the lobby of Paul G. Blazer High School and see for themselves the outstanding accomplishments by all the sports programs at Ashland, both in Boys and Girls.

With all your good intentions Skip Pass you sometimes come across as apologetic and you take the bait of certain big mouth fish that swim around on here enticing you with maroon colored lures. Let it go.

After we pull off the upset come Thursday night it will silence the envious posters.
This is not bait, so don't take it as such. Most of the stuff I saw in there was dated way back. They had more success in the first 40 years than they have had in the last 40. Take a closer look for yourself and check the dates. The last 40 are comparible to many in the 16th. As for your upset, good luck with that.:zzz:
devil's advocate Wrote:This is not bait, so don't take it as such. Most of the stuff I saw in there was dated way back. They had more success in the first 40 years than they have had in the last 40. Take a closer look for yourself and check the dates. The last 40 are comparible to many in the 16th. As for your upset, good luck with that.:zzz:

Don't worry I am much older and wiser, I understand what you are saying. Let me present to you some facts concerning both the Kittens and the Tomcats:

Regional Winners
Kittens 1977 over Russell Confusedhh:
Kittens 1978
Kittens 1983
Kittens 1986
Kittens 1987
Kittens 1990
Kittens 1992
Kittens 1995
Kittens 1997

So we have had a little drought, but Bradley has brought them back to Regional contenders once again.

Regional Winners since 1969 (Last 40 years)
Tomcats 1969
Tomcats 1970
Tomcats 1971
Tomcats 1976
Tomcats 1977
Tomcats 1978
Tomcats 1979
Tomcats 1980
Tomcats 1992
Tomcats 1993
Tomcats 1996
Tomcats 2001
Tomcats 2002

Dont worry Skip Pass this not an apologetic overview of Ashland Tradition.

Now on to the mighty Red Devils over the last 40 years.
Lady Devils 75, 76, 1994, that is a total of 3 Regional Titles compared to Ashland Kittens 9 Regional Titles.

Let me also add that Russell could have 3 more titles plus a State Championship team if the former coach would have kept 2 players at Russell. One might be arguably the best Point Guard to play in the Region, but thats another story.

Now the Russell Boys. The boys team has compiled only 2 Regional titles in the last 40 years. All that talent at Russell...and only 2 Titles.

There is little if no comparison with the dominance of Ashland's tradition versus the rest of the 16th Region. Now these are just mere historical facts. If you can prove me wrong by backing up your evidence with facts then there will certainly be no rebuttal on my behalf.

The gym at Morehead, not Weatherby but the other one. Who is it named after and where did he play High School Ball? No other school in the State can really compare with the overall success at Ashland. By the way the bait was tasteful. :biggrin:

Tomcat Great has typed!
Tomcat Great Wrote:Don't worry I am much older and wiser, I understand what you are saying. Let me present to you some facts concerning both the Kittens and the Tomcats:

Regional Winners
Kittens 1977 over Russell Confusedhh:
Kittens 1978
Kittens 1983
Kittens 1986
Kittens 1987
Kittens 1990
Kittens 1992
Kittens 1995
Kittens 1997

So we have had a little drought, but Bradley has brought them back to Regional contenders once again.

Regional Winners since 1969 (Last 40 years)
Tomcats 1969
Tomcats 1970
Tomcats 1971
Tomcats 1976
Tomcats 1977
Tomcats 1978
Tomcats 1979
Tomcats 1980
Tomcats 1992
Tomcats 1993
Tomcats 1996
Tomcats 2001
Tomcats 2002

Dont worry Skip Pass this not an apologetic overview of Ashland Tradition.

Now on to the mighty Red Devils over the last 40 years.
Lady Devils 75, 76, 1994, that is a total of 3 Regional Titles compared to Ashland Kittens 9 Regional Titles.

Let me also add that Russell could have 3 more titles plus a State Championship team if the former coach would have kept 2 players at Russell. One might be arguably the best Point Guard to play in the Region, but thats another story.

Now the Russell Boys. The boys team has compiled only 2 Regional titles in the last 40 years. All that talent at Russell...and only 2 Titles.

There is little if no comparison with the dominance of Ashland's tradition versus the rest of the 16th Region. Now these are just mere historical facts. If you can prove me wrong by backing up your evidence with facts then there will certainly be no rebuttal on my behalf.

The gym at Morehead, not Weatherby but the other one. Who is it named after and where did he play High School Ball? No other school in the State can really compare with the overall success at Ashland. By the way the bait was tasteful. :biggrin:

Tomcat Great has typed!
I stand corrected. I must have only noticed the older trophy case. Why did you omitt the most noted wins? (the state tournament) Your Tomcats are also the winningest in state history. Pretty impressive ! But they also are the oldest member (1917)many schools didn't join until the 50's and 60's.(kinda got a head start there,but thats ok)
Boys state champs: 1928-1933-34-1961
Girls state champs:1921-22-1924-28-29
Also it's 93 years , not 80 (my mistake)
Will they ever get back to the state powers they once were?
I just didn't realize what a regional power you guys are.
I guess thats kinda like being the tallest Midjet in the Circus.
Rowan by 10.
LET EM PLAY Wrote:I have to agree with your assessment of the match up. Its a shame these two are in the same bracket, they appear to be the only teams capable of putting the ball in the hole. There have been some some really bad offensive performances so far from the rest of the teams. The winner of this one has to be the favorite for the rest of the way. Which group of officials are calling this game? One group seems to let it get a little rougher than the other group.

Did you forget about Elliott County's 80-54 win over the Kittens
devil's advocate Wrote:I stand corrected. I must have only noticed the older trophy case. Why did you omitt the most noted wins? (the state tournament) Your Tomcats are also the winningest in state history. Pretty impressive ! But they also are the oldest member (1917)many schools didn't join until the 50's and 60's.(kinda got a head start there,but thats ok)
Boys state champs: 1928-1933-34-1961
Girls state champs:1921-22-1924-28-29
Also it's 93 years , not 80 (my mistake)
Will they ever get back to the state powers they once were?
I just didn't realize what a regional power you guys are.
I guess thats kinda like being the tallest Midjet in the Circus.

Thats funny, seriously, I got a good chuckle from that.

I was only going back the last 30-40 years. I will state one thing about Ashland that has concerned me for about 20 years, they have athletes in the school that will not play basketball that could really help both of the gender sports. We will not get back to being state powers anytime soon, maybe never but on the regional level the girls program has really picked up the last couple of years. Wish I could say the same about the boys.
tracebandit Wrote:Did you forget about Elliott County's 80-54 win over the Kittens

Elliott is very good, but going by 1st round performances they will have to play much better to compete with Ashland and Rowan IMO. I have nothing but respect for what Elliott has accomplished, good luck the rest of the way.
Rowan Co by 17
Rowan co. by 12
Pages: 1 2