Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Thoughts on building a new UK basketball arena
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's something thats been talked about for a few years now, and I just thought it would be interesting to hear everyones views on this.

Personally, I would be sad to see Rupp go.
I think it's one of the greatest places to play, and one of the greatest to watch a game.
If they do build a new one, the only thing I hope for is that they don't take the fans away from the court, and maybe a bigger student section.
There is No place like Rupp
The fact that Louisville is getting a new arena is why I say UK won't be far behind....
Personally I would love to see it here as soon as possible but I think it will a long process to build it in the Current parking lot. Many thing will have to be done to prepare for events during the construction. It will happen and I will be sad to see Rupp change but I do feel as though the new arena will 100% be RUPP arena! Can't wait!
i will be sad to see Rupp go but things can always be built better.
I hate to see Rupp go, but if we do get a new arena i would like to see a bigger student section. Maybe have both ends of the court be student sections and a better sound system. Do you think they will auction off Rupp's floor if they build a new one?
UK has talked about building an new arena since the early 90's when I was in school there. It has nothing to do with Louisville.

Rupp needs to go. I have never liked it that well. Yes it is big and historic but it not a great place to watch a game. Rupp Arena is a dinosaur that needs to be extinct.
sports-fan08 Wrote:It's something thats been talked about for a few years now, and I just thought it would be interesting to hear everyones views on this.

Personally, I would be sad to see Rupp go.
I think it's one of the greatest places to play, and one of the greatest to watch a game.
If they do build a new one, the only thing I hope for is that they don't take the fans away from the court, and maybe a bigger student section.

Would love to see it on campus, but keep it big enough to still hold 23 to 24000. Let's put the students back on midcourt, it is the students team not rich alumni. Would also like to see the seats closer to the floor so the students are right on top of the action. I would still miss Rupp though! What would you want the new name of the court to be? Can we still call in Rupp or Rupp II?
I would miss rupp, but wouldnt mind seeing a new arena.
sstack Wrote:Would love to see it on campus, but keep it big enough to still hold 23 to 24000. Let's put the students back on midcourt, it is the students team not rich alumni. Would also like to see the seats closer to the floor so the students are right on top of the action. I would still miss Rupp though! What would you want the new name of the court to be? Can we still call in Rupp or Rupp II?

Someone said it would hold more than it does now. Possibly around 30,000.
And I agree 100% about putting the students on midcourt.

Haha, I would like it to still be called Rupp. Idk what else they would call it?
And if they changed the name, they couldn't be called the eRUPPtion zone anymore.
hmmm.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:Do you think they will auction off Rupp's floor if they build a new one?

Unless it says Rupp on the court, I'd say they'd keep it for a while... Unless they were going to completely revamp the look of the court.
If they make one they should pur Rick Pitinos name in it..like pitino palace..lol
No way, the fans would hate it, besides its named in honor of the greatest coach at UK (the one who pretty much put us on the map) and besides, their is no tradition like UK basketball at Rupp Arena.
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I hate to see Rupp go, but if we do get a new arena i would like to see a bigger student section. Maybe have both ends of the court be student sections and a better sound system. Do you think they will auction off Rupp's floor if they build a new one?

I'm pretty sure that just a little piece of the floor would be a king's ransom.
How long is the current contract with Rupp? I thought that Rupp, in the last contract re-up, had to do significant upgrades in order for UK to continue. I know that UK wanted to stay near campus when they entertained thoughts a few years back, but if they build, it will have to be someplace, us much as 10-20 miles away.

With the current economy, and the schools debt, I'd be surpirsed to see something soon. The school administrators took a beg hit with the cost of the practice facility, the economy certainly may keep them from thinking about it in the near future.

It's not UK's Basketball money, which there is a lot of. the Basketball $ are the schools money which also takes care of many other items that have been significantly impacted by the economy problems.

A new arena would be a "nice to have", but not a "must have".
I wouldn't mind seeing Rupp Arena replaced. It is a terrible place to watch a sporting event. The aisles are narrow, seats are too close. As much as I like UK and the tradition of Rupp, I would not miss it at all
Well Georgia still plays in there old arena, but when SEC tourney comes then it is on to the Georgia Dome. I think we can still keep Rupp Areana, but we do need a new one to attract SEC tourney, NCAA tourney with sweet 16, and final four. That would generate great revenue. It can also host woman's basketball, volleyball, state high school tournament with basketball, wrestling, and volleyball. Why should frankfort, and louisville get all the money.
king360 Wrote:If they make one they should pur Rick Pitinos name in it..like pitino palace..lol

GREAT POST
cougarpride08 Wrote:Well Georgia still plays in there old arena, but when SEC tourney comes then it is on to the Georgia Dome. I think we can still keep Rupp Areana, but we do need a new one to attract SEC tourney, NCAA tourney with sweet 16, and final four. That would generate great revenue. It can also host woman's basketball, volleyball, state high school tournament with basketball, wrestling, and volleyball. Why should frankfort, and louisville get all the money.

SEC is in TAMPA
The new arena will be done by 2015. It will be named after a company, will seat 24000, but will be larger than Rupp because it will have box seats to put the old people in.

This is just some of the info I've read from the LHL through the past year or so.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The new arena will be done by 2015. It will be named after a company, will seat 24000, but will be larger than Rupp because it will have box seats to put the old people in.

This is just some of the info I've read from the LHL through the past year or so.

^ this guy is right.. thats whats been reported..
cougarpride08 Wrote:Well Georgia still plays in there old arena, but when SEC tourney comes then it is on to the Georgia Dome. I think we can still keep Rupp Areana, but we do need a new one to attract SEC tourney, NCAA tourney with sweet 16, and final four. That would generate great revenue. It can also host woman's basketball, volleyball, state high school tournament with basketball, wrestling, and volleyball. Why should frankfort, and louisville get all the money.

SEC tourney is to be played on a neutral floor. So you can't "attract" the SEC Tourney. And give up ever getting a final four in Lexington. Lexington Metro isn't big enough to handle an NCAA final four.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The new arena will be done by 2015. It will be named after a company, will seat 24000, but will be larger than Rupp because it will have box seats to put the old people in.

BCA, I think that has been put on hold. UK is in the midst of a budget constraint, and though I have not heard anything definitive, I have heard that plans for the new arena, though not all funded by UK, but a pretty good portion, will be reviewed later.
mrfootball03 Wrote:SEC tourney is to be played on a neutral floor. So you can't "attract" the SEC Tourney. And give up ever getting a final four in Lexington. Lexington Metro isn't big enough to handle an NCAA final four.

They had it there in 85 i think. Of course the Final Four was not nearly the circus it is now.If they build a new arena I too would like to see it on campus.
I think the city is big enough but the downtown area isn't. They need it on the outter part of the city so they can build other things around it.
Stardust Wrote:BCA, I think that has been put on hold. UK is in the midst of a budget constraint, and though I have not heard anything definitive, I have heard that plans for the new arena, though not all funded by UK, but a pretty good portion, will be reviewed later.

Haven't read anything about this. All I know was that it was supposed to be private funding the build the new downtown arena.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:All I know was that it was supposed to be private funding the build the new downtown arena.

That is true. IMG College is still doing the research of this project and it is supposed to be completed sometime in April. The study is costing IMG about 2 Million per year for the last two years, so the plans are still going foward and the arena will be built with private funds and will not cost the taxpayers of Lexington-Fayette County.
I would also hate to see Rupp go, but I think our program deserves a much nicer Basketball ONLY arena to play in. I hate tha fact that truck pulls and garden shows are in in Rupp in the off season...it cheapens our Basketball Palace.

I have come up with a few names for the new facilities & court

Possible Arena Names:

1. Rupp Memorial Coliseum
2. The Mecca
3. Wildcat Den

Court:

1. Cawood Court
2. Keightly Court
I thought that the project of a new court was going to be privatly paid for by boosters.
since they built the craft center what will happen to it?
cougarpride08 Wrote:since they built the craft center what will happen to it?

Nothing...It will remain as the practice facility.
Pages: 1 2