Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best High School Teams To Never Win State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Joneslab Wrote:I always thought the Paintsville team of 97 and 98 failed to live up to expectations after winning in 96 but that was a dominant run. John Plephrey's Paintsville team in 87 was a good team but ran into Allan Houston and Ballard.

The 98 Paintsville team was a great team. The problem for Paintsville that was one of those years when the state was loaded with great teams. Lex Cath was #3 in the Nation, Scott County was #13 in the Nation, Highlands had a great team too.
Bob Seger Wrote:I remember back in about 1973 or '74, we were playing at Lee Co. and Larry Stamper was there watching Lee Co. play. I remember going up and talking with him while our JV was playing. Seemed like a really nice guy at the time.

Larry's a super nice guy. I've known him a long time. He lives in Winchester now, retired, and plays golf in the summer and goes to all the UK games during the season. He and his wife always attend the state tournament every year too.
Lleyton21 Wrote:The old folks used to talk about Breathitt Co. having some good teams when Fairce Woods was around back in the day, but I don't believe they ever won it...anyone got any stories for this old Breathitt boy who is now in Pike?

The 1967 Breathitt County team came very close to winning the state. They made it to the semifinals and lost a heartbreaker to Earlington, who went on to win the championship later that night. Breathitt led the whole ball game and Earlington didn't catch them till late in the 4th quarter. I don't remember if it went into overtime but it was a narrow loss. One of the players told me it was the only time he had seen Fairce Woods cry, but after the game he was very emotional and told them he felt they had got a raw deal from the refs. He said Fairce was not one to blame officials but he wasn't happy with a lot of the ref's decisions in the game.

Breathitt's players were the talk of the tournament and their pictures were all over the Lexington newspapers. B.G. Lovins was particularly popular. If memory serves me correctly the Bobcats wore floppy socks and kept their uniform shirts not tucked in. They were a crowd favorite.
Other players were 6'4 Larry Noble, who went on to star at Austin Peay. Eugene Cundiff played the middle. Lefty Freddie Combs was one guard. Goldie Salyers was a forward. That was the starting 5. Charles Turner was a sophomore reserve. He went on to play at Berea College.
I think Breathitt's record was something like 30-2 that season. I believe their only loss that year was to #1 CovCath in the Ashland Invitational until they lost to Earlington that Saturday morning in Freedom Hall.

One of the players said Fairce kept the boys on campus as much as possible. He fed them great meals and took care of them, but he expected 100% effort and didn't tolerate anything that distracted from the game. He had them in excellent shape (had to because only played 6 in anything but a blowout). He liked to bring in his former players to practice against--like Henry B. Combs, Doug Allen, Cecil Clair (6'7 who had played for Morehead), and many others. He felt practicing against seasoned veterans of the game was the best to get them ready. And he must have been right. He took Breathitt through it "Golden Years", winning the region 5 straight years from 1958-1962 and then again in 1967. And the region wasn't exactly chopped liver back then. Hazard had won the state in 1955. Carr Creek had won it in 1956. Hazard, Hindman, Carr Creek, were always tough competition, not only in the 14th region but around the state. The year Hazard won the state they barely beat Hindman in the region finals. The region was no cakewalk.

Just a few rambling thoughts. I'm not from Breathitt but I do remember some of their great teams.
easy the 81-82 Virgie Eagles with Todd May!!!
2006 South Laurel. South Laurel won the state championship in 2005 and returned 4 starters and also returned their key players off the bench.
Elliot County had a fun team to watch several years make short lived runs in Rupp Arena.
North Hardin had a heck of a team in 80 and 81. Brett Burrow (Vandy) Jeter(louisville) Valentine (louisville) But the state was loaded then.Simon Kenton with McKinley Myer and Company won it in 81 and they are one of the strongest teams I have scene since Lafayette in 78.
Originally Posted by J. R. VanHoose
University Heights 1996 - Lamont Barnes (Temple), Isaiah Victor (Tennessee), Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame), and Andre Buckner (Duke). Won the Belk Beach Ball Classic (Myrtle Beach) and was ranked nationally. Lost in the 1st game of the District Tournament!!!

I wonder who won it that year? I think someone had 28 points and 22 rebounds in the semifinal game. I could be off a little on those stats. By the way, congrats.

Paintsville won it in 96.
Pages: 1 2 3