Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best High School Teams To Never Win State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
1992- Clay Co.
1996- UHA
1999- Scott Co.
Those teams had a boat load of talent.
1998 Paintsville Tigers. Crazy amount of talent.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:What about the 94' Allen Central team who lost to eventual state champs Fairdale, a game in which they were in and could have eaisly won had Jermey Hall not been injured. I think they had a team that could have won it that year.

Jermey Hall,Thomas Jenkins,Phillip Patton,Jayson Martin, were 4 of the 5 starters I can't remember the 5th at this point but they were tough.

Hall was in range the second he stepped into the gym. Great player and a great team.
I gotta be bias but one of the best has to be the 1968 Lee County Bobcats that had Larry Stamper(played at UK) and made it all the way to the Semifinals of the Sweet 16!!
delete.
The 1978 Cawood Trojans were one of the strongest teams of the decade, only to be upset by the Pineville Mt Lions in the 1st round of the 13th Region, still considered to be the biggest upset in 13th Region history. this team was like 24-3 an ranked all season in the top ten.
1976 Louisville Male with Darrel Griffith and Bobby Turner.
rojas Wrote:Here are a few:

1998 Lexington Catholic. Ranked #3 in the nation. Upset in semifinals by Scott co.

1999 Scott County. #6 in the nation. Beat 8 state champions. Won the most prestigious tournament in USA (City of Palms), beaten by Ballard in state finals.

2000 Ballard. Ranked in top 10 in nation. Also won the City of Palms. Didn't make it out the region.

2001 Male. Ranked nationally. Upset by Lexington Layfayette in Sweet 16.

2007 Ballard. One of the all time great teams in Ky. Had the misfortune of having this great team the same year as the 2007 Scott Co team.

And....Scott County shouldn't have even been in the finals against Ballard in the 1999 tournament---not Scott County's fault but imo Paducah Tilghman got jobbed by the refs in their semifinal loss to the Cardinals. The only time I've seen a Rupp crowd stand and boo that long after a game was when Hazard was ref-ripped vs PRP in the semi's in 1986.
leecoukfan Wrote:I gotta be bias but one of the best has to be the 1968 Lee County Bobcats that had Larry Stamper(played at UK) and made it all the way to the Semifinals of the Sweet 16!!
All they had to do was hit 1 free throw to seal the victory over Seneca. With about 5 seconds on the clock and a 2 point lead for Lee County, a Lee guard went to the line for a 1 and bonus. All he had to do was make one of them and the game was more than likely over (no 3 point shot in those days). But he missed the first shot, Seneca rebounded and scored to tie the game and put it in overtime, where they went on to win.

Many people thought that if Lee could have gotten to the championship game they would have defeated Glasgow, who won it later that night. Larry Stamper was 6'8 with a big, strong built. Glasgow would have had their hands full trying to contain him.

But that ONE free throw derailed the Bobcats dream.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:University Heights 1996 - Lamont Barnes (Temple), Isaiah Victor (Tennessee), Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame), and Andre Buckner (Duke). Won the Belk Beach Ball Classic (Myrtle Beach) and was ranked nationally. Lost in the 1st game of the District Tournament!!!
How on earth did they lose with a team like that??? A college team.
Who beat them and did they win the region that year?
Memorial Gym #5 Wrote:Yes, that was the Hazard team with Carl Wallace, Terry North, Willie Combs, Greg Napier, Todd Blanton, Keith Deaton, and Dwayne Cornett. Jim Leveridge did not play in the state tourney with this team, but do remember him playing for Hazard, but can't remember the year!! M.C. Napier's great team that played well in state was I believe in 1984, not sure but think that was the year. Anyway they were a tough team and should have played for the title!! :rockon:
That was a good Hazard team but still might take a back seat to the Hazard team of 1965. That team should have won the state. Flat gave one away to Butch Beard and Breckenridge County in the semi's. The Bulldogs were loaded with future WKU great Jim Rose (whose Hilltoppers made it to the Final Four one year), Houston Hogg (who starred at UK in football), Chester Rose, etc. They were a deep and talented team.
nky Wrote:1978 Holmes High School led by Mr. Basketball Doug Schloemer
In the state Finals his layup would have won the game, but future UK star Charles Hurt swooped in to block it. The play later was shown in photos to be goal-tending. The bulldogs had one stolen from them.
The ball actually had gone down through the net and Hurt's hand can be seen (in the photo in the newpaper the next day) going up through the bottom of the net and knocking the ball back out.
I agree, Holmes should have been the state champions that year.
What about the 1982 Virgie Eagles?
Rodney Rowe and Todd May. Believe they got beat in the semi's to the team that won it all. But only beat them by 1. Correct me if im wrong.
1984 M.C. Napier team that if they had made a freethrow or two, they would have won the state tournament that year... They had several great players and a great coach in Denny Fugate...
The 2000-2001 Bowling Green Team.... Started 6'2 Brandon Wardlow (Southern University), 6'5 Josh Carrier (University of Kentucky, 6'6 Terrez Dewalt (Eastern Kentucky University) 6'7 Jason Stonebreaker (Western Kentucky University), 6'10 Tyler Ray (Went division 1 somewhere in Alabama, Samford or Troy) Five division 1 starters on that team.

This team couldn't get past Russellville, which in 2000 thought Russellville was the best team in the state, choked against ETOWN, Russellville had Maurice Hampton, Tony Key, Teco Dickerson and others.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:All they had to do was hit 1 free throw to seal the victory over Seneca. With about 5 seconds on the clock and a 2 point lead for Lee County, a Lee guard went to the line for a 1 and bonus. All he had to do was make one of them and the game was more than likely over (no 3 point shot in those days). But he missed the first shot, Seneca rebounded and scored to tie the game and put it in overtime, where they went on to win.

Many people thought that if Lee could have gotten to the championship game they would have defeated Glasgow, who won it later that night. Larry Stamper was 6'8 with a big, strong built. Glasgow would have had their hands full trying to contain him.

Yes! They were truly one of the best teams to never win state! It's sad to say but that it probably the closest Lee County will ever come to winning the Sweet 16 but I hope I a, wrong.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:All they had to do was hit 1 free throw to seal the victory over Seneca. With about 5 seconds on the clock and a 2 point lead for Lee County, a Lee guard went to the line for a 1 and bonus. All he had to do was make one of them and the game was more than likely over (no 3 point shot in those days). But he missed the first shot, Seneca rebounded and scored to tie the game and put it in overtime, where they went on to win.

Not meaning to be picky , but Stamper was 6'6".
Bob Seger Wrote:1976 Louisville Male with Darrel Griffith and Bobby Turner.

Failed to mention that Male was the '75 state champs, and had the core of Turner and Griffith back for the '76 season, and were ranked #1 in the country for the most part of the '76 season.

They were beaten by the up and coming PRP super duo of Jeff Lamp and Lee Raker.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:And....Scott County shouldn't have even been in the finals against Ballard in the 1999 tournament---not Scott County's fault but imo Paducah Tilghman got jobbed by the refs in their semifinal loss to the Cardinals. The only time I've seen a Rupp crowd stand and boo that long after a game was when Hazard was ref-ripped vs PRP in the semi's in 1986.
2009 Elliott Vs Holmes in a semi final game Elliott got jobbed half way through the 4th when they had came back to tie.. One call was missed and another was dumped right on top of it... I've never heard refs be booed like that.. Lasted from when it was called, through the first free throw, a full time out, and the second free throw. Until Elliott got the ball out of bounds.
Bob Seger Wrote:Not meaning to be picky , but Stamper was 6'6".
That's what Rupp listed him on the UK roster. Rupp always listed his players an inch or two shorter than they actually were. He thought it had a phychological effect on the opponents. He listed Dan Issel as 6'8 but he was every bit 6'9 and maybe 6'10.
I've stood beside Larry many times. He's very close to 6'8, maybe 6'7 1/2.
Bob Seger Wrote:Failed to mention that Male was the '75 state champs, and had the core of Turner and Griffith back for the '76 season, and were ranked #1 in the country for the most part of the '76 season.

They were beaten by the up and coming PRP super duo of Jeff Lamp and Lee Raker.
I remember them well, but I thought they played for Ballard. Both signed with Virginia and were stars for that team. Might have played there when Ralph Sampson was there, I'm not sure. Seems like a player from Apollo signed with Virginia at the same time too.
1988 Clay Co. who lost to Ballard in the finals. Clay Co. had won the state tournament in 1987 with the same team.
1934 carr creek high.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I remember them well, but I thought they played for Ballard. Both signed with Virginia and were stars for that team. Might have played there when Ralph Sampson was there, I'm not sure. Seems like a player from Apollo signed with Virginia at the same time too.

You are exactly right . It was Ballard rather than PRP. Had PRP on the brain.

And you are right as well on the Apollo teammate at UVa. That was Jeff Jones. As far as Sampson, that's probably right. I think he went into the draft in '83. So they would have played together.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:That's what Rupp listed him on the UK roster. Rupp always listed his players an inch or two shorter than they actually were. He thought it had a phychological effect on the opponents. He listed Dan Issel as 6'8 but he was every bit 6'9 and maybe 6'10.
I've stood beside Larry many times. He's very close to 6'8, maybe 6'7 1/2.

I remember back in about 1973 or '74, we were playing at Lee Co. and Larry Stamper was there watching Lee Co. play. I remember going up and talking with him while our JV was playing. Seemed like a really nice guy at the time.
The old folks used to talk about Breathitt Co. having some good teams when Fairce Woods was around back in the day, but I don't believe they ever won it...anyone got any stories for this old Breathitt boy who is now in Pike?
Bob Seger Wrote:I remember back in about 1973 or '74, we were playing at Lee Co. and Larry Stamper was there watching Lee Co. play. I remember going up and talking with him while our JV was playing. Seemed like a really nice guy at the time.

Yes, he is a very nice person! I knew him very well when I was a child!
Lleyton21 Wrote:The old folks used to talk about Breathitt Co. having some good teams when Fairce Woods was around back in the day, but I don't believe they ever won it...anyone got any stories for this old Breathitt boy who is now in Pike?
I don't have any real stories for you but if Breathitt was ever close it would have held two names in the middle of the mix;Faircie Woods and Big Earl Stevens. I can tell you that Big Earl and another player(from Meade Memorial)got pretty physical under the basket at a PIT game one year. One of the Players ended up in the snow after going through the door. Guess which player was still in the gym. Coach woods took our team to a little restaurant called the Lonsome Pine? I think . It was of cource in Jackson. To play against BC in those days was like playing against an NFL team and you had no pads. I think Earl would have a bunch of stories if he is still around. He used to have a bunch of coal trucks and I believe he may have been in a movie.
rojas Wrote:Here are a few:

1998 Lexington Catholic. Ranked #3 in the nation. Upset in semifinals by Scott co.

1999 Scott County. #6 in the nation. Beat 8 state champions. Won the most prestigious tournament in USA (City of Palms), beaten by Ballard in state finals.

2000 Ballard. Ranked in top 10 in nation. Also won the City of Palms. Didn't make it out the region.

2001 Male. Ranked nationally. Upset by Lexington Layfayette in Sweet 16.

2007 Ballard. One of the all time great teams in Ky. Had the misfortune of having this great team the same year as the 2007 Scott Co team.

The 2007 Cards won state tourn. also beat O.J. Mayo and Patrick Patterson from Huntington High...didnt miss a game...:Thumbs:
letthebighogroot Wrote:2009 Elliott Vs Holmes in a semi final game Elliott got jobbed half way through the 4th when they had came back to tie.. One call was missed and another was dumped right on top of it... I've never heard refs be booed like that.. Lasted from when it was called, through the first free throw, a full time out, and the second free throw. Until Elliott got the ball out of bounds.

I was getting ready to mention that Elliott County team. Some amazing talent there and great chemistry too. It seemed like those 6-7 players always knew where one another was on the court at all times
Pages: 1 2 3