Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Birth Control and Abortion - what are you for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Recent discussion has prompted me to ask this question.

Those of you who say you are pro-life and that "life begins at conception."

What are your thoughts on the birth control pill? Are you for it? Against it?

The reason I ask is because if you believe that life begins at conception, then it is possible to cause an abortion while on the pill. The pill works in two different ways. One way is by preventing fertilization of the egg and the other way is by changing the lining of the uterus in such a way that if an egg is fertilized, it will not be able to be implanted onto the uterine wall, thus causing an abortion or loss of a fertilized egg.
I'm for the birth control, but against abortion.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm for the birth control, but against abortion.
Same here.
Jshort5 Wrote:Same here.

Do you both believe life begins at conception?

If so, please read my statement above.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Do you both believe life begins at conception?

If so, please read my statement above.

The difference to me is with the pill your trying to prevent pregnancy, even if it does cause death of the baby it wasn't done deliberately. Abortion on the other hand is done deliberately.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:The difference to me is with the pill your trying to prevent pregnancy, even if it does cause death of the baby it wasn't done deliberately. Abortion on the other hand is done deliberately.

But you take the pill deliberately, knowing that this could possibly happen.
ComfortEagle Wrote:But you take the pill deliberately, knowing that this could possibly happen.

Yeah, but I'd also know that this wasn't what I wanted to happen, even if it did happen.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, but I'd also know that this wasn't what I wanted to happen, even if it did happen.

It wasn't supposed to happen, but that is the same thing some of these people say when they get pregnant.

I don't know, I think this is such a muddy area.
ComfortEagle Wrote:It wasn't supposed to happen, but that is the same thing some of these people say when they get pregnant.

I don't know, I think this is such a muddy area.

This really is a tough situation to discuss, that why I'm going to stick with the sports talk.
I am agianst both the pill and abortion. The pill kills innocent children and abortion also kills innocent children. And even if your christian or not it is still wrong to kill an innocnet child. Think about abortions have killed more people than WWI, WWII, KOREAN WAR, CIVIL WAR, AMERICAN REVOLUTION, VIETNAM, AND THE GULF WARS COMBINED. That is just insane. Why kill children. Only 1% of women kill there child because they were raped. And 1% because the child has a defect.
sherman14 Wrote:I am agianst both the pill and abortion. The pill kills innocent children and abortion also kills innocent children. And even if your christian or not it is still wrong to kill an innocnet child. Think about abortions have killed more people than WWI, WWII, KOREAN WAR, CIVIL WAR, AMERICAN REVOLUTION, VIETNAM, AND THE GULF WARS COMBINED. That is just insane. Why kill children. Only 1% of women kill there child because they were raped. And 1% because the child has a defect.
Doesn't sound like an epidemic to me, so why does Palin support banning these practices?
I do believe life begins at fertilization. I am against birth control and strongly against abortion.
I'm for the pill but against abortion.

Just because the egg is fertlized means nothing, until cell reproduction begins it is just a mass of dna, its like saying masturbation is murder.
DevilsWin Wrote:Doesn't sound like an epidemic to me, so why does Palin support banning these practices?

There isn't any point of arguing with you.
The only way abortions should be aloud is if the woamn would die.
I'm confused- maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the birth control pills I know of prevent the egg from ever being fertilized, which then it's not killing anything that's life.

If you mean the morning after pill, then yes, it's abortion because it can kill a fertilized egg.

Abortion is wrong except in the case of rape or if the mother is in danger.
BFritz Wrote:I'm confused- maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the birth control pills I know of prevent the egg from ever being fertilized, which then it's not killing anything that's life.

If you mean the morning after pill, then yes, it's abortion because it can kill a fertilized egg.

Abortion is wrong except in the case of rape or if the mother is in danger.

Let me try to explain better.

The birth control pill works two ways.

1) it tries to prevent the egg from ever being fertilized

but also

2) changes the way the lining of the uterine wall works....so in case an egg does get fertilized, it doesn't allow the egg to attach itself to the uterine wall. This only happens about 1% of the time, but it does happen.

Clear as mud?
Beetle01 Wrote:I'm for the pill but against abortion.

Just because the egg is fertlized means nothing, until cell reproduction begins it is just a mass of dna, its like saying masturbation is murder.

Not quite. "Conception" is when an egg becomes fertilized.

Within a few hours of conception, tiny hair-like structures called cilia (found in the oviduct) push the zygote towards the uterus. During this, the zygote starts the process of cell division.

At around 4 days, the zygote is a 16-cell mass and it enters the uterus where it floats freely for about 2 days.

The fertilized egg can still be "aborted" or passed through the body at this point.

At around 6 days, the zygote has become mass of more than 100 cells called a Blastocyst.

The zygote implants (attaches) to the wall of the endometrium at around 10 days. After implantation, the zygote is officially known as an embryo. (It is this step that the birth control pill can stop, it can stop a zygote from becoming an embryo)
I'm for Birth Control but have varies on Abortion.

If your 14 in the 8th grade getting pregnant when your life hasnt even started, you live with your parents, and your a good athlete who could possibly make it somewhere someday, consider it. But regret it.

Say your 21, have a job, a car, and a home. Old enough to nurse it, then abortion shouldnt even pop into your mind
If...Then Wrote:I'm for Birth Control but have varies on Abortion.

If your 14 in the 8th grade getting pregnant when your life hasnt even started, you live with your parents, and your a good athlete who could possibly make it somewhere someday, consider it. But regret it.

Say your 21, have a job, a car, and a home. Old enough to nurse it, then abortion shouldnt even pop into your mind

Why not put the baby up for adoption?
If...Then Wrote:I'm for Birth Control but have varies on Abortion.

So if you're not an athlete or don't have a sure thing for a future you should have the baby and try to make it work?

Doesn't make sense and it's not fair.
BFritz Wrote:So if you're not an athlete or don't have a sure thing for a future you should have the baby and try to make it work?

Doesn't make sense and it's not fair.

If a person goes to a conservative, evangelical, pentecostal church, the deacons or pastor or whatever should pass a rule saying, "Absolutely no abortions for any reason at any time." Then, they should leave everybody else alone to exercise their right under Roe V. Wade.
My only argument is who is protecting the rights of the unborn baby? Are they not human just because they are inside their mother? What makes you think that the mothers are the only ones who should be be allowed to decide if their child lives or dies?
Beetle01 Wrote:My only argument is who is protecting the rights of the unborn baby? Are they not human just because they are inside their mother? What makes you think that the mothers are the only ones who should be be allowed to decide if their child lives or dies?
I don't hink you should have any say so because it's not your baby, your body or your future. It's her baby, her future, her life, her salvation. Only she will have to answer to her maker.

So its none of your business.
DevilsWin Wrote:I don't hink you should have any say so because it's not your baby, your body or your future. It's her baby, her future, her life, her salvation. Only she will have to answer to her maker.

Agreed.
DevilsWin Wrote:I don't hink you should have any say so because it's not your baby, your body or your future. It's her baby, her future, her life, her salvation. Only she will have to answer to her maker.

Its not just HER baby. Yes she carries the baby. So noone is concerned of the baby's life, future, or body?

You act so concerned for the mother but are willing to flush the baby down the toilet, seems hypocritical.
Beetle01 Wrote:My only argument is who is protecting the rights of the unborn baby? Are they not human just because they are inside their mother? What makes you think that the mothers are the only ones who should be be allowed to decide if their child lives or dies?

Roe v. Wade is the law of the land. It segments pregnancy into trimesters. That may or may not be logical, but it is the law of the land.
Beetle01 Wrote:Its not just HER baby. Yes she carries the baby. So noone is concerned of the baby's life, future, or body?

You act so concerned for the mother but are willing to flush the baby down the toilet, seems hypocritical.

I am not sure a fertilized egg and "baby" makes for equal terminology. The fertilized egg develops into "baby." I am not particularly comfortable with "fetus" and "baby" distinctions, but, again, Roe v. Wade is the law of the land.
Beetle01 Wrote:Its not just HER baby. Yes she carries the baby. So noone is concerned of the baby's life, future, or body?

If it's not her baby than whose is it?

Are you gonna buy its diapers? Feed it? Nurture it? Teach it about the world?

If not than you shouldn't have any say in the matter.

If you want to have a baby go for it!

But others business is not your business.

Abotion is a terrible practice and no one in their right mind would endorse Abortion.

The Freedom of Choice is what I endorse. The freedom to go to a DR rather than a backwoods trailer and a coat hanger.
Why do they say "pro choice? Shouldn't it be "pro abortion". Isn't it funny how everyone who is pro abortion, has already been born? Should the government provide abortions on demand?
lawrencefan Wrote:Why do they say "pro choice? Shouldn't it be "pro abortion". Isn't it funny how everyone who is pro abortion, has already been born? Should the government provide abortions on demand?
Pro-Abortion is a misrepresentation that always ticks me off.

You probably didn't live in the time before Roe vs Wade when teenage girls visited backwoods Dr's to get abortions. Many times the mother was killed as well as the baby.

All Roe vs Wade did was make it safe for a woman to have an abortion. They're gonna have them anyway so why not make it a safe practice.

I don't support Abortion in any fashion and I resent the suggestion that Pro-Choice = Pro-Abortion.

We may never agree on the right to choose but we do agree that Abortion is a terrible thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8