Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell vs. Simon Kenton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How's It Gonna Pan Out?????
Tough game here just like it was last year.

I'll take Russell 28-27
In a nail-biter. I say Russell by 3 with thier new record holder up there. 35-32
Simon Kenton picked apart that zone coverage last year in their comeback victory. If Russell can get pressure on the QB and tighten up the pass coverage they will win.
Derrick Fosson had a great night at Lewis. I think he had 2 or 3 sacks. Great pressure on thier QB.
jgrubby Wrote:Derrick Fosson had a great night at Lewis. I think he had 2 or 3 sacks. Great pressure on thier QB.
Big difference between Lewis County and Simon Kenton though. SK has one of the better running backs in the state in Simpson who happened to return a kick for a TD against Russell last year. They also return their QB Bustle from last year. Russell has alot of work to do if they want to avenge what was a game they really gave away to break their home winning streak.
FBALL Wrote:Big difference between Lewis County and Simon Kenton though. SK has one of the better running backs in the state in Simpson who happened to return a kick for a TD against Russell last year. They also return their QB Bustle from last year. Russell has alot of work to do if they want to avenge what was a game they really gave away to break their home winning streak.
Not only the team, but I hope the Fans come with some noise!
Wll if the Devil fans need to know how much their defense has improved since Ashland, here's your test.

I want Russell to win but just feel that SK has a little too much for Russell.

SK 28
Russell 24
Russell's D needs to tighten up a little but I will still pick the Devils.

17-12
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Wll if the Devil fans need to know how much their defense has improved since Ashland, here's your test.

I want Russell to win but just feel that SK has a little too much for Russell.

SK 28
Russell 24
Totally different animal. The biggest problem in the Ashland game was the defense was on the field to long. Not many sustained drives.

Where Russell must improve on defense is in tackling and wrapping up. Not just going for the big hit. Also with pressure on the QB. Ashland wasn't about to throw the ball. SK willl most likely spread the defense out and throw at least half of the time.
FBALL Wrote:Totally different animal. The biggest problem in the Ashland game was the defense was on the field to long. Not many sustained drives.

Where Russell must improve on defense is in tackling and wrapping up. Not just going for the big hit. Also with pressure on the QB. Ashland wasn't about to throw the ball. SK willl most likely spread the defense out and throw at least half of the time.
Rewatched the Ashland game several times, they got away with numerous holds on each score. Very noticable. But that isn't why we lost. Simon Kenton is a danger with the pass. Hopefully the deep backs will be schooled before this game.
Me wish they could play again
Russell.
FBALL Wrote:Totally different animal. The biggest problem in the Ashland game was the defense was on the field to long. Not many sustained drives.

So you don't think tackling and wrapping up are just as significant against a spread team when the tackles must be made in open field?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:So you don't think tackling and wrapping up are just as significant against a spread team when the tackles must be made in open field?
Yeah, don't you?
A.J. shines this week. The line will also. It all starts up front.
Russell in over time with a game winning field goal
Why is everyone worried about the pass? This SK team doesn't pass much, they depend on Simpson, so as long as we WRAP up and make tackles we will be fine.

Offensively we've seem to hit a rut, poor blocking, poor passing, but the backs are running as hard as they have all year, they need to keep that up and get on everyone else to elevate their play to the level they can perform at.

Most importantly Rice and Smith will have to have superb games and be wherever Simpson is, they have to get to him and wrap up. Defensively we depend on them to have great games, hopefully they can step their play up Friday and become leaders of this defense.
Beetle01 Wrote:Why is everyone worried about the pass? This SK team doesn't pass much, they depend on Simpson, so as long as we WRAP up and make tackles we will be fine.
Did you watch last years game with SK?

Granted that was last year but SK returns many of those players. SK wasn't a proficient passing team last year either but they looked like Texas Tech in that game. I would guess that the SK coaching staff remembers all of that soft zone coverage as well and that the slant patterns and crossing routes will be a big part of their game plan for this week.

Bustle had the game of his career against Russell last season. I'd say he remembers that as well.

Is that enough of a reason to be concerned considering Russell still prefers zone coverage and hasn't managed to get much pressure on the QB?
FBALL Wrote:Did you watch last years game with SK?

Granted that was last year but SK returns many of those players. SK wasn't a proficient passing team last year either but they looked like Texas Tech in that game. I would guess that the SK coaching staff remembers all of that soft zone coverage as well and that the slant patterns and crossing routes will be a big part of their game plan for this week.

Bustle had the game of his career against Russell last season. I'd say he remembers that as well.

Is that enough of a reason to be concerned considering Russell still prefers zone coverage and hasn't managed to get much pressure on the QB?

I was trying to remember if Russell has had a sack all year not counting the Lewis game?
I see this game as the turning point for Russell this year. Russell needs to play well and put it all together this week. I have this gut feeling that they will play very well control the clock and keep SK offense off the field. I see this game being decided at the line of scrimmage.

Russell 31

Simon Kenton 28
Jeepman Wrote:I was trying to remember if Russell has had a sack all year not counting the Lewis game?
Yeah they have.

They need to start getting some pressure from the three down guys hough. Dillon needs to pick up his game and play up to his potential every snap.
russell by 3 late!!!
FBALL Wrote:Yeah, don't you?

I was the one who said this would be a good evalutaion of how much the defense has improved and you said This is a completely different animal", it's Sunday... don't confuse me! Wink Smile
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I was the one who said this would be a good evalutaion of how much the defense has improved and you said This is a completely different animal", it's Sunday... don't confuse me! Wink Smile

Are we speaking the same language? I think we are disagreeing on the fact that we agree. It is a different animal. Ashland is much more of a power football team. SK will spread the field more. Two completely different offensive styles.
SK in a close one
FBALL Wrote:Are we speaking the same language? I think we are disagreeing on the fact that we agree. It is a different animal. Ashland is much more of a power football team. SK will spread the field more. Two completely different offensive styles.

Smile
Russell needs to play better defense than the Ashland game... settled...Smile
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Smile
Russell needs to play better defense than the Ashland game... settled...Smile
Absolutely.Big Grin

Seriously though. The defense wasn't terrible against Ashland. They were just out on the field to much.
Defense wasn't bad against Ashland, there was just no need for 4 DB's in the game and Ashland was just pulling backside G and T and overloading one side.
Not to mention it was criminal the amount of holding Ashland blatantly got away with. No excuses though, Ashland won.

I just don't know why it seems so hard for these guys to just make a solid tackle with proper technique and wrap up. Simpson will laugh at their arm tackles and make them look like fools if they go for big hits all night. he is for real and the best back we will play all year, maybe twice as good as Zac Wilson. Offense needs to pick it up too, way too many missed blocks coming from the left side of the line, and the guards need to get out there and turn the corner.
russell
Pages: 1 2 3