Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell vs. Simon Kenton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
kybaseball Wrote:Nothing meant to you FBALL but that's crazy.He has over 300 wins and 2 state championships and really should have 3. Has Russell even had a losing season on his watch?The only chink in his coaching armor is being able to beat Ironton more than once. Thats it. I know a lot of schools would love to have the success he has had.

I think that last losing season was '98 im pretty sure but not 100%
can anyone confirm this?
FBALL Wrote:Yeah Russell has had losing season's under McGlone. Every school has up and down cycles. Recently Russell has been up.

People have criticized Russell's schedule ever since realignment placed them with East Carter, West Carter, and Lewis County. It was even worse when Powell and Estill were in the district. But Russell used to play one of the toughest schedules around.

Remember the district that Russell played in until the late 80s consisted of Russell, Belfry, Johnson Central and Sheldon Clark. Only the district champion made the playoffs. Granted Sheldon Clark and Johnson Central weren't very good at that time.

Realignment in 1987 placed Russell, Ashland and Montgomery County in the same district along with East Carter, Lawrence County and Rowan County with the top two going to the playoffs.

The Russell schdule my senior year went something like this

Tates Creek
Greenup County
Ironton
Linsley Acadamy
Portsmouth
Boyd County
Harrison County
East Carter
Rowan County
Montgomery County
Ashland

Point being, when Russell has had more flexibility they have had a very difficult schedule most years.

Franklin-Simpson
Greenup
Boyd
Ashland
Man, WV
Milton, WV
Sheldon Clark
JC
Rowan
Belfry
Conner

Man I can not remember anymore.. thats bad........
russelldevils54 Wrote:I think that last losing season was '98 im pretty sure but not 100%
can anyone confirm this?

3-7 in the 1997 season. 98 was a winning season I believe 6-4 regular season.

Jr year. 1999 season
Greenup
Ashland
Boyd
West Carter
Parkersburg, WV 2nd best team I ever played against
Lloyd Memorial
Bath Co.
Mason Co.
Fleming Co.
Newport
Garrard Co. 1st rd
Boyle Co. - Best team Ive ever played against, they were for real.

Sr. year 2000 season
Greenup
Ashland
Boyd
West Carter
Wheelersburg, Oh
Lloyd Memorial
Bath Co.
Mason Co.
Fleming Co.
Newport
1st rd don't remember
Lex Cath OT loss

Order of some games may be off but thats roughly it
Beetle01 Wrote:I just want to see from this team what I saw from them in the first half of the GC game. If everyone remembers back to that, you had no idea where the ball was going, Abrams, AJ on a boot, pass, Bailey or Rice. Every play was different. We also nearly gained a first down on every play. Granted GC is not a great team, but why did we ever get away from that offense? Where did that intensity go?
I whole heartedly agree. That was the only game of the season where I thought the team looked in sync and completely focussed. I also did like the balance in that game. At that time Greenup was being talked up as a contender. Hopefully after 6 games in a row where Russell thought in their minds "this game is an easy win" that intensity comes back for these tough final three games and on into the playoffs.
Right no more give Me's . A win tonight will give this team a lot of respect & the momentum it needs for the coming weeks. If they can come back home & spank Raceland anything else is just frosting.
Russell 28

Simon Kenton 21
Beetle01 Wrote:3-7 in the 1997 season. 98 was a winning season I believe 6-4 regular season.

Jr year. 1999 season
Greenup
Ashland
Boyd
West Carter
Parkersburg, WV 2nd best team I ever played against
Lloyd Memorial
Bath Co.
Mason Co.
Fleming Co.
Newport
Garrard Co. 1st rd
Boyle Co. - Best team Ive ever played against, they were for real.

Sr. year 2000 season
Greenup
Ashland
Boyd
West Carter
Wheelersburg, Oh
Lloyd Memorial
Bath Co.
Mason Co.
Fleming Co.
Newport
1st rd don't remember
Lex Cath OT loss

Order of some games may be off but thats roughly it

The loss to Lex Cath was by 1 point and we should have won by 1 point because on the opening kickoff we took down the guy in the endzone and the ref maked the ball down at the half yard line.
Beetle i think you are right on this it was 1997 when Russell went 3-7
Pages: 1 2 3