Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The '90s, Top 10 Mountain Guards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I remember one, Hurley Combs that played at Napier. He was good and so was Tim Couch.
I can name several from the 13th region alone who could make that list.

Charles Thomas- Harlan
Shannon Hoskins- Clay Co.
Tony Petrowski- Corbin
Michael Jones- Harlan
Chris Mckissic- Clay Co.
Keith Slone- Cumberland
Bo Rhoden- Corbin
He was a tall (6'4") guard that could shoot the lights out. I think he lit up Knott Central for 40 some odd points in the Sweet 16 in 91.
some of the top guards in the 14th from the 90's are:
Tad Brewer-Cordia
Dj Sims-Perry Central
James Hurley-Buckhorn, M.C. Napier
Heston Beverly-Dilce Combs
Richard Ritchie-Cordia
Kevin Campbell-Dilce Combs
Chad Meade-Hazard,Leslie Co
Jon Olinger-Hazard
Johnny Ray Williams-Jenkins (the best I ever saw in the 14th)
I was just wording is anone remembered Michael Hall that was playing at tis time as a middle school pleyery. He was the 6th man 8th grade on a team that made it to the region. just a thought
Norm Stewert Wrote:some of the top guards in the 14th from the 90's are:
Tad Brewer-Cordia
Dj Sims-Perry Central
James Hurley-Buckhorn, M.C. Napier
Heston Beverly-Dilce Combs
Richard Ritchie-Cordia
Kevin Campbell-Dilce Combs
Chad Meade-Hazard,Leslie Co
Jon Olinger-Hazard
Johnny Ray Williams-Jenkins (the best I ever saw in the 14th)

Tim Couch was the best guard in any mountain region, including the 14th.
My Top five would be...

1. Charles Thomas - Harlan
2. Tim Couch - Leslie Co.
3. Tony Petrowski - Corbin
4. J.J. Hylton - Belfry
5. Michael Jones - Harlan
What about the combo of Hurley Combs, and Benji Combs.
I Rule The World Wrote:Tim Couch was the best guard in any mountain region, including the 14th.

Couch wasn't even the best guard on his team during his senior year, Chad Meade was. Scott Moore (guard from Breathitt Co.) lit them up in the first round of the regional tournament in '96. Moore also put up 50+ points at Clay County that same year.
A top 10 will be very hard to come up with although I'll attempt a top 5. If I leave someone out please forgive me. Anyway....

1a.Charles Thomas-Harlan
1b.Jermey Hall-Allen Central
3.Tony Petrowski-Corbin
4.Todd Tackett-Paintsville
5.Henry Webb-McDowell
Warriors23RJ Wrote:A top 10 will be very hard to come up with although I'll attempt a top 5. If I leave someone out please forgive me. Anyway....

1a.Charles Thomas-Harlan
1b.Jermey Hall-Allen Central
3.Tony Petrowski-Corbin
4.Todd Tackett-Paintsville
5.Henry Webb-McDowell

Webb graduated in 89 if I am not mistaken.
bball fan Wrote:Webb graduated in 89 if I am not mistaken.
Yeah your right, but if not him I'm not sure who I'd put in there, I guess James Hurley could fit in there.
I Rule The World Wrote:Tim Couch was the best guard in any mountain region, including the 14th.

Maybe the 14th but not in any mountain region. Todd Tackett, Matt Ratliff, Tim Pelphrey. all were exciting to watch in High School. But I do go to agre Tim Couch was a good guard.
This is my top 10

1. Charles Thomas- Harlan
2. Shannon Hoskins- Clay Co.
3. Tony Petrowski- Corbin
4. Michael Jones- Harlan
5. Jeremy Hall- Allen Central
6. Heston Beverly- Dilce Combs
7. JJ Hylton- Belfry
8. Chris Mckissic- Clay Co.
9. Todd Takett- Paintville
10. Tim Couch- Leslie Co.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Yeah your right, but if not him I'm not sure who I'd put in there, I guess James Hurley could fit in there.
Not even close!
Brandon Elam - Knox central
Alan Sharp - Knox central

Patrick Smith-Barbourville
Derick Collins- Barbourville

Todd Pridmore-Clay co
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:Maybe the 14th but not in any mountain region. Todd Tackett, Matt Ratliff, Tim Pelphrey. all were exciting to watch in High School. But I do go to agre Tim Couch was a good guard.

Tim Pelphrey?
:1:

Sorry i will also go with Jonny Ray Williams
Tim Couch
What exactly are we looking for in a guard spot? The name or title of a great guard takes in alot of territory in how they play the game instead of just scoring points. This of course not saying that all of these names appearing here were not good players and deserving of being mentioned.
I would put both JJ Hylton AND Shawn Hager from Belfry in there. They won 3 regional titles in a row.:loveya:
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:I would put both JJ Hylton AND Shawn Hager from Belfry in there. They won 3 regional titles in a row.:loveya:

JJ Hylton, Shawn Hager, and Steven Staton all need to be mentioned somewhere
NIKE2010 Wrote:Tim Couch
Tim Couch over Charles Thomas?
Jeremy Hall.
Jeremy Hall - AC

Thomas Jenkins - AC

JJ Hylton - Belfry

Shawn Hager - Belfry

Steven Staton - Belfry

Jared Hager - Belfry

Todd Conley - Elkhorn City

Jody Thompson - Feds Creek

Todd Tackett - Paintsville

Matt Ratliff - Paintsville

Jamie Hamilton - Pike Central

That is just some guys off the top of my head from the 15th.
hoot owl Wrote:Couch wasn't even the best guard on his team during his senior year, Chad Meade was. Scott Moore (guard from Breathitt Co.) lit them up in the first round of the regional tournament in '96. Moore also put up 50+ points at Clay County that same year.

No doubt Scott Moore could ball. But to say Chad Meade was better than Tim Couch? No. Chad just took some of the scoring pressure off of Tim. Tim averaged 36 a game when he was a junior. Would have done the same if Chad hadn't come along. Tim wasn't checking Scott in that game either. Breathitt also had some good bigs that year. Including John Rader.

Charles Thomas was good, but no way he was beter than Tim.
I Rule The World Wrote:No doubt Scott Moore could ball. But to say Chad Meade was better than Tim Couch? No. Chad just took some of the scoring pressure off of Tim. Tim averaged 36 a game when he was a junior. Would have done the same if Chad hadn't come along. Tim wasn't checking Scott in that game either. Breathitt also had some good bigs that year. Including John Rader.

Charles Thomas was good, but no way he was beter than Tim.

:confused: We are talking about the same Charles Thomas (Mr. Basketball). Thomas averaged 26 on a team that went to the final 4 of the sweet 16.
I Rule The World Wrote:Charles Thomas was good, but no way he was beter than Tim.

You have to be talking about football. Thomas was Mr. Basketball, played in two state tournaments and was the sixth man on an NCAA Final Four team at Minnesota. Couch would have had to play forward at Harlan with a backcourt that had Thomas, Jones and Lester.
Not to mention Todd Cox at Center.

Anywho... I thought that Charles started for Minnesota.
NEXT Wrote:Jeremy Hall - AC

Thomas Jenkins - AC

JJ Hylton - Belfry

Shawn Hager - Belfry

Steven Staton - Belfry

Jared Hager - Belfry

Todd Conley - Elkhorn City

Jody Thompson - Feds Creek

Todd Tackett - Paintsville

Matt Ratliff - Paintsville

Jamie Hamilton - Pike Central

That is just some guys off the top of my head from the 15th.

Not for sure that I would classify Todd or Jody as guards. But both should go down as two of the better players in the history of the 15th region...
Pages: 1 2