Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence Co - VS - Greenup Co. 1st round State Tourney
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So let the debates begin.
This is one year I wish the eastern teams didn't play each other. Both teams would have had a pretty decent chance of advancing to the semis if they had not played each other.
I don't know much about Greenup County, but I saw where they both split two games this season. Should be a great game! Congrats to both teams for advancing to Applebee's!!
It could be one of the best games of the tourney.
Just an eastern Ky boys thoughts.
I've looked forward to this rematch and have dreaded it at the same time. Both are very good teams and both have solid pitching. It will be one for the books and hopefully at the end of it all the Dawgs will be on top. Just wish I could be there to cheer them on! Good luck!!
What were the scores and circumstances surrounding the first two meetings?
Solid all around matchup with the 2 best pitchers in Eastern KY! Should be a great game!
bulldog42 Wrote:Solid all around matchup with the 2 best pitchers in Eastern KY! Should be a great game!

I have heard that Tyler will NOT be throwing but that is hear say
Im gonna say LC 2-1
Bosox Fan Wrote:I have heard that Tyler will NOT be throwing but that is hear say

I don't believe this for a minute.

Tyler throws.......... score 2-0. Both runs scored are unearned. Only question is which team make the error(s). Don't know. Gonna be a dandy game.
Bosox Fan Wrote:I have heard that Tyler will NOT be throwing but that is hear say

If they don't throw Tyler it will be a long night for Greenup. Greenup is a good ball club, but so is LC. Now is not the time to get cocky and think you can beat a good caliber team without throwing your best. I think if they want to advance they have to throw Tyler and if LC wants to advance they have to throw their best. I hate to quote Adam Sandler at this point, but you live to play another day. Regardless of what you have at the end of the tournament you must get their first. PRP had the best team in it last season, but they tried to hold their ace, and it backfired on them. If one of these two try to do the same thing it will backfire on them too.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:If they don't throw Tyler it will be a long night for Greenup. Greenup is a good ball club, but so is LC. Now is not the time to get cocky and think you can beat a good caliber team without throwing your best. I think if they want to advance they have to throw Tyler and if LC wants to advance they have to throw their best. I hate to quote Adam Sandler at this point, but you live to play another day. Regardless of what you have at the end of the tournament you must get their first. PRP had the best team in it last season, but they tried to hold their ace, and it backfired on them. If one of these two try to do the same thing it will backfire on them too.

Great post i totally agree with you on this one.
Batpuff Wrote:It could be one of the best games of the tourney.
Just an eastern Ky boys thoughts.
The PRP -vs- Apollo game will also be a great one to watch.
Both teams are loaded with talent. I personally think Lawrence County has the better team. This one comes down to two things, which team does not make costly errors and who has the best pitcher. Greenup will go with their best, you cannot look to game two if you do not win game one. The freshman Shephard from Lawrence throws extremely hard and hits his corners, but remember he is still a freshman and they can sometimes make mistakes. Both catchers are great, so stolen bases should not be a factor. I think you have to give the hitting edge to Lawrence County, but I seem to remember that they had a bad game or two this year at the plate. I know from reading about the earlier meeting between these teams Lawrence had several errors in the infield. They cannot afford these now if they are to win. Good luck to both teams, I hope to be at Applebees on Saturday to cheer you on.
I will give you all one more thing to think about, who has the better pitching for the next game should they get there? That is of the utmost importance in the state tourney. Regardless of who wins, both teams are top notch.
commonsense Wrote:Both teams are loaded with talent. I personally think Lawrence County has the better team. This one comes down to two things, which team does not make costly errors and who has the best pitcher. Greenup will go with their best, you cannot look to game two if you do not win game one. The freshman Shephard from Lawrence throws extremely hard and hits his corners, but remember he is still a freshman and they can sometimes make mistakes. Both catchers are great, so stolen bases should not be a factor. I think you have to give the hitting edge to Lawrence County, but I seem to remember that they had a bad game or two this year at the plate. I know from reading about the earlier meeting between these teams Lawrence had several errors in the infield. They cannot afford these now if they are to win. Good luck to both teams, I hope to be at Applebees on Saturday to cheer you on.
I will give you all one more thing to think about, who has the better pitching for the next game should they get there? That is of the utmost importance in the state tourney. Regardless of who wins, both teams are top notch.

In regards to this question I do think LC has the edge with the pitching staff. Shepherd is the obvious number 1, but both Michael and Cyrus are outstanding pitchers. I think Cyrus is their #3 and he throws mid-80's, so I think they have the best shot should they make it past the first round. I know they went with Michael in the first game, probably because of his composer that he brings with him to the mound, I just wonder if they may use the same approach in the state tournament?
If they do not pitch Shephard, they are taking Greenup way too lightly. I also agree with you that Lawrence has the better #2 and #3 pitchers. But, who knows who will win this game and who they will face. Most teams have an extremely good #1 pitcher at this level, great teams have excellent #2 and others to fill in as they advance in the state tourney. This is why normally the best team does win the state. The only exception is when the best team faces a pitcher who is head and shoulders above the rest, but that same team has no #2 pitcher. I guess with this year's format, you really have to agonize over pitching your #1 pitcher any more than five innings as you will not have him in the finals if you make it that far. You are a hero if you make the right decision and a zero if it backfires. A coach once told me his kids got all of the credit for the wins and he always got the blame for the losses. That puts it in perspective for me.
commonsense Wrote:If they do not pitch Shephard, they are taking Greenup way too lightly. I also agree with you that Lawrence has the better #2 and #3 pitchers. But, who knows who will win this game and who they will face. Most teams have an extremely good #1 pitcher at this level, great teams have excellent #2 and others to fill in as they advance in the state tourney. This is why normally the best team does win the state. The only exception is when the best team faces a pitcher who is head and shoulders above the rest, but that same team has no #2 pitcher. I guess with this year's format, you really have to agonize over pitching your #1 pitcher any more than five innings as you will not have him in the finals if you make it that far. You are a hero if you make the right decision and a zero if it backfires. A coach once told me his kids got all of the credit for the wins and he always got the blame for the losses. That puts it in perspective for me.

That is exactly how every coach should be! That is why I think there will be teams that may not make it in this tourny because they do have a dominant #1, but that's it. Every team will have to burn their #1 in the opening or second round. I can't see any of them advancing if they don't. It should come down to whomever has the better #3 pitcher.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That is exactly how every coach should be! That is why I think there will be teams that may not make it in this tourny because they do have a dominant #1, but that's it. Every team will have to burn their #1 in the opening or second round. I can't see any of them advancing if they don't. It should come down to whomever has the better #3 pitcher.

This is true but if you throw your 1 and I throw my 3 then it causes problems... Last year PRP threw their 3 Greenup threw their 1 and 3 and 4 and 5... It did not cause Greenup problems because PRP was a better team
Bosox Fan Wrote:This is true but if you throw your 1 and I throw my 3 then it causes problems... Last year PRP threw their 3 Greenup threw their 1 and 3 and 4 and 5... It did not cause Greenup problems because PRP was a better team
Well all I can say is that we have to great teams here that both of depth in pitching and both hit the ball really well. So there should be plenty of fire works come Thursday morning!!!!
I say Lawrence County.
goble'sgirl4040 Wrote:I say Lawrence County.

I think everyone has picked LC... I do not think this game is that lop-sided
Bosox Fan Wrote:I think everyone has picked LC... I do not think this game is that lop-sided

I dont think anyone person has said that it would be nothing but a great game.. I know LC has some unfinished business with them knocking us off at home. lol So time will tell...
Batpuff Wrote:I dont think anyone person has said that it would be nothing but a great game.. I know LC has some unfinished business with them knocking us off at home. lol So time will tell...

I know but everyone who has voiced their opinion has said LC... I am not saying that they wont win it just seems that people are saying that LC is better when I think it will be a game of straight out luck... they are VERY close in ability and heart
I am going to go with Lawrence County 4-3.
I just got conformation on who is pitching for Greenup but I am not able to say...
If they don't throw Heineman, they're one and done... and Coach Logan is a lot smarter than that, so they will throw Heineman.
No need for cloak-and-dagger stuff.
He will be the man for GC.
dbcooper Wrote:If they don't throw Heineman, they're one and done... and Coach Logan is a lot smarter than that, so they will throw Heineman.
No need for cloak-and-dagger stuff.
He will be the man for GC.

I do not think they are 1 and done with out Tyler but I am sure that everyone feels different
Im going to say LC will win this one but good luck to both teams.
Best of luck to both teams, I also think Lawrence will win, but it would not surprise me one bit if Greenup pulled it out. As I have said before, both teams are excellent, well coached, and have considerable talent. The error bug could bite either of them at the wrong time and things just fall apart. That is why we play the games....
I seem to remember reading about Beechwood being down several runs going into the sixth inning, (five runs as my memory serves me), PRP pulled their ace to save him for the finals. Beechwood came back, tied the game, PRP had to re-enter their ace, but the damage was done. The ace had cooled down and Beechwood hit him enough to win the game. That is the kind of thing that can happen to any team in this tourney.
I just hope all teams play well and Eastern Kentucky will be well represented by one of our teams getting into the finals....
commonsense Wrote:Best of luck to both teams, I also think Lawrence will win, but it would not surprise me one bit if Greenup pulled it out. As I have said before, both teams are excellent, well coached, and have considerable talent. The error bug could bite either of them at the wrong time and things just fall apart. That is why we play the games....
I seem to remember reading about Beechwood being down several runs going into the sixth inning, (five runs as my memory serves me), PRP pulled their ace to save him for the finals. Beechwood came back, tied the game, PRP had to re-enter their ace, but the damage was done. The ace had cooled down and Beechwood hit him enough to win the game. That is the kind of thing that can happen to any team in this tourney.
I just hope all teams play well and Eastern Kentucky will be well represented by one of our teams getting into the finals....

Good post

I do believe that who ever wins the first game will win the second game... and then face a not prepared team in the state finals
Pages: 1 2