Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Western Kentucky best option for Slone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think Landon should look at Western Kentucky. They have a great basketball program and a huge fan base. Darrin Horn is known for taking guys that are not highly recruited out of high school and turning them into stars. Just look at Courtney Lee who is projected to go mid to late first round in the NBA Draft.
straitupballin Wrote:I think Landon should look at Western Kentucky. They have a great basketball program and a huge fan base. Darrin Horn is known for taking guys that are not highly recruited out of high school and turning them into stars. Just look at Courtney Lee who is projected to go mid to late first round in the NBA Draft.
IDK if I would compare Landon to a player that is projected to be a 1st round draft pick, but Western would be a good choice.
If Landon wishes to contribute early as a fresh or sophomore he should consider NAIA. I dont see him playing much @ a D1 school. The level of quickness and talent even @ Pikeville or Georgetown and other schools such as the Cumberlands or Lindsey is unreal. Anyway, I wish him well where ever he ends up.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:If Landon wishes to contribute early as a fresh or sophomore he should consider NAIA. I dont see him playing much @ a D1 school. The level of quickness and talent even @ Pikeville or Georgetown and other schools such as the Cumberlands or Lindsey is unreal. Anyway, I wish him well where ever he ends up.

But you gotta think, MOST NAIA schools players came from D-1 schools cause they couldn't make the grades or for other reasons. Landon has the talent to play at any level IMO. He can hit from anywhere on the floor and most of all he can create his own shot. A redshirt year with a good strength and conditionin program would do him wonders with his speed and quickness.
Redneck Wrote:But you gotta think, MOST NAIA schools players came from D-1 schools cause they couldn't make the grades or for other reasons. Landon has the talent to play at any level IMO. He can hit from anywhere on the floor and most of all he can create his own shot. A redshirt year with a good strength and conditionin program would do him wonders with his speed and quickness.

You are correct, there are quite a few D1 Transfers in NAIA. There are also several JuCo players coming into NAIA. I just hope Landon gets to play where ever he ends up. The redshirt idea at either level would probably make sense.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:You are correct, there are quite a few D1 Transfers in NAIA. There are also several JuCo players coming into NAIA. I just hope Landon gets to play where ever he ends up. The redshirt idea at either level would probably make sense.
Speakin of JuCo, that wouldn't be a bad choice either.
Redneck Wrote:Speakin of JuCo, that wouldn't be a bad choice either.

True
How does these prepatory schools work. I know in football they give the outgoing senior a real good preparation for college. Is it considered as JuCo as well?
Western would be a great option for Slone, but I'd love to see him wearing the big blue. The fan base in Eastern Kentucky hasn't been as passionate for UK basketball in a long time, and its because the Richie Farmers and John Pelphreys are no longer recruiting options for them. Yes, I'd love to see UK do great, and get back to being a regular name mentioned as national title favorites every year, but I'd also love to see more recruiting, even if its one or two players a year, in the East Ky area. But Landon could fit in at UK. Even if not Eastern Kentucky, theyve missed the boat on several statewide players in recent past, Ross Neltner and Scott Huntley at Vandy, Lofton at Tennessee, JR VanHoose could have had a great career in Lexington. All Im saying, is if Chris Harrison, Brandon Stockton and Sheray Thomas can play there, then Landon Slone definitely could. And be twice the contributor that any of the three above-mentioned were. But, Western is a great school, with a very good basketball tradition, and I could see him having a great career there too..all in all, I wish him the best of luck, he's a great player, and seems to be a good kid, and I'm sure he'll have a good career wherever he goes.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Western would be a great option for Slone, but I'd love to see him wearing the big blue. The fan base in Eastern Kentucky hasn't been as passionate for UK basketball in a long time, and its because the Richie Farmers and John Pelphreys are no longer recruiting options for them. Yes, I'd love to see UK do great, and get back to being a regular name mentioned as national title favorites every year, but I'd also love to see more recruiting, even if its one or two players a year, in the East Ky area. But Landon could fit in at UK. Even if not Eastern Kentucky, theyve missed the boat on several statewide players in recent past, Ross Neltner and Scott Huntley at Vandy, Lofton at Tennessee, JR VanHoose could have had a great career in Lexington. All Im saying, is if Chris Harrison, Brandon Stockton and Sheray Thomas can play there, then Landon Slone definitely could. And be twice the contributor that any of the three above-mentioned were. But, Western is a great school, with a very good basketball tradition, and I could see him having a great career there too..all in all, I wish him the best of luck, he's a great player, and seems to be a good kid, and I'm sure he'll have a good career wherever he goes.

Great post :Thumbs:
Id say Western or a smaller school is more reasonable for him. Look at Pettigrew last year, he is at Western now. And he was a great high school play ball player.
Sounds like a good fit. I think he could actually get to see the court with WKU instead of going to UK like a thread was talking about a while back...
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Western would be a great option for Slone, but I'd love to see him wearing the big blue. The fan base in Eastern Kentucky hasn't been as passionate for UK basketball in a long time, and its because the Richie Farmers and John Pelphreys are no longer recruiting options for them. Yes, I'd love to see UK do great, and get back to being a regular name mentioned as national title favorites every year, but I'd also love to see more recruiting, even if its one or two players a year, in the East Ky area. But Landon could fit in at UK. Even if not Eastern Kentucky, theyve missed the boat on several statewide players in recent past, Ross Neltner and Scott Huntley at Vandy, Lofton at Tennessee, JR VanHoose could have had a great career in Lexington. All Im saying, is if Chris Harrison, Brandon Stockton and Sheray Thomas can play there, then Landon Slone definitely could. And be twice the contributor that any of the three above-mentioned were. But, Western is a great school, with a very good basketball tradition, and I could see him having a great career there too..all in all, I wish him the best of luck, he's a great player, and seems to be a good kid, and I'm sure he'll have a good career wherever he goes.
Great post man...
I heard Marshall named last night.
After watching the Pikeville-Georgetown game last week, IMO Landon slone would be lucky to play at a school like that. The gaurds for both of those schools are so fast and athletic, the would be all over him. Western is a good basketball school, so I belive it would be tough for him to play at D1 level.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:After watching the Pikeville-Georgetown game last week, IMO Landon slone would be lucky to play at a school like that. The gaurds for both of those schools are so fast and athletic, the would be all over him. Western is a good basketball school, so I belive it would be tough for him to play at D1 level.

Yep, I agree.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:After watching the Pikeville-Georgetown game last week, IMO Landon slone would be lucky to play at a school like that. The gaurds for both of those schools are so fast and athletic, the would be all over him. Western is a good basketball school, so I belive it would be tough for him to play at D1 level.

What you don't realize is that the only kids on Pikeville's team (that were recruited) that get to play is the Hicks boy from Hazard and Robbie Spears from East Ridge. The rest of the kids either played a level of D1 or were JuCo transfers. I spoke to Coach Williams from Pikeville and he hold me when Landon has the ball in his hands that he is the quickest guard in the region and is very tough to defend because of his ability to drive and create a shot.
IRISH4 Wrote:What you don't realize is that the only kids on Pikeville's team (that were recruited) that get to play is the Hicks boy from Hazard and Robbie Spears from East Ridge. The rest of the kids either played a level of D1 or were JuCo transfers. I spoke to Coach Williams from Pikeville and he hold me when Landon has the ball in his hands that he is the quickest guard in the region and is very tough to defend because of his ability to drive and create a shot.

I have watched in person almost every Pikeville College game this year, you are accurate about Justin Hicks from Hazard. Robbie Spears from ER is a Junior and only gets in the game after it is decided and the same for Brandon Kidd from BL. But there are a couple of recruited Players that does get quality minutes-one is Jared Litzinger from Mason County, Simmons from Huntington, and Dan Pinick from Ludlow. Most of the others are transfers D1 or other. There are about three or four redshirts, Kane Belcher-Pendleton County recruit, Trevor Patton-Pburg recruit and a couple more I dont know the names. Pikeville is loaded this year and next because they only have two current seniors. Also, I dont recognize who coach Williams is-not at PC to my knowledge. This is my opinion only-if Landon goes to Pikeville then he would possibly see very limited playing time next year. He would have to improve his quickness and ball handling over the summer.

I know Lando, and I know how passionate he is about playing ball. Whatever school he ends up at, he will try his absolute hardest and I think he will be able to step up to the competition. Yes, I realize I go to Paintsville and my opinion is probably biased, but I truly believe Lando can step it up to play D-1 ball if he puts his mind to it.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I have watched in person almost every Pikeville College game this year, you are accurate about Justin Hicks from Hazard. Robbie Spears from ER is a Junior and only gets in the game after it is decided and the same for Brandon Kidd from BL. But there are a couple of recruited Players that does get quality minutes-one is Jared Litzinger from Mason County, Simmons from Huntington, and Dan Pinick from Ludlow. Most of the others are transfers D1 or other. There are about three or four redshirts, Kane Belcher-Pendleton County recruit, Trevor Patton-Pburg recruit and a couple more I dont know the names. Pikeville is loaded this year and next because they only have two current seniors. Also, I dont recognize who coach Williams is-not at PC to my knowledge. This is my opinion only-if Landon goes to Pikeville then he would possibly see very limited playing time next year. He would have to improve his quickness and ball handling over the summer.

The Pikeville I was referring to was Pikeville High School. I've been to several games this semester and haven't seen Litzinger touch the floor, don't know about the others. All I see play and hear over the P.A. is Hicks, Linton from Jamaica, Xavier Yates from Louisiana, Bo Harris from GRC but went somewhere before PC, Jeff Ferguson from Canada and Haakim Johnson from N.J.
Let's all just see where he goes.....how 'bout that?
IMO Slone is not even close to the quickest gaurd in the region. But like I said before Slone might have the drive and determination to play D1 ball, but when you are playing against boys who don't have to work that hard and are still better than you, you wont have a chance.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:IMO Slone is not even close to the quickest gaurd in the region. But like I said before Slone might have the drive and determination to play D1 ball, but when you are playing against boys who don't have to work that hard and are still better than you, you wont have a chance.

All I'm doing is telling you what came straight from the man's mouth, he's coached against him and definately has definately had to scout and make a gameplan regarding him so I'll take his evaluation on the matter. IDK where the kid is going to go but as a fan of Paintsville and the 15th region when a player gets a lot of recognition and an oppertunity to play at the next level then it's a great thing. This will lead to more recruitment from this area which has been written off as of late.
No, the recruiting hasnt been written off, this region just cant produce high caliber basketball players. Why? IDK, bad genetics or something. Im sure if there was an outstanding ball player in this region he would get recruited. But theres not, but if there is anyone close Landon Slone would be it.
Watchful Eye Wrote:Let's all just see where he goes.....how 'bout that?

Please don't be one of those idiots that has a problem with him because he's white and from Eastern Kentucky. They have wore that excuse out on Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey and Derek Feldhouse. Why not just be proud of someone from your area......unless your from Louisville?
IRISH4 Wrote:The Pikeville I was referring to was Pikeville High School. I've been to several games this semester and haven't seen Litzinger touch the floor, don't know about the others. All I see play and hear over the P.A. is Hicks, Linton from Jamaica, Xavier Yates from Louisiana, Bo Harris from GRC but went somewhere before PC, Jeff Ferguson from Canada and Haakim Johnson from N.J.

Look at the stats on PC website and you will see that Litzinger has played in every game- some more than others. Also Anthony Idgadaro plays a ton off the bench. Anyway, Thursday night at PC they play Lindsey Wilson- it should be a war!! I hope whatever choice Landon makes it proves to be the right one for him. But, it is hard to be sure until he actually gets there and starts to practice...wish him only the best.
Actually I remember back in the 90's it wasn't uncommon if every team had a player that was 6'5" or taller. Kids in this area can play, but a lot of them don't get looked at because of their paper stats...too many colleges are relying on them now instead of looking at the level a kid can perform and I'm not saying this just for basketball but for all sports. If they don't run a 4.4 40 or have a 37in vertical they can't play.
I don't know why WE you quoted yourself and asked if you were from Louisville, you tell us. lol, just funning with you. I think I know where that comment was directed.
i just hope wherever he goes its makes "him" happy and doesn't base his choice on people around him whispering in his ear every five minutes...
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:Look at the stats on PC website and you will see that Litzinger has played in every game- some more than others. Also Anthony Idgadaro plays a ton off the bench. Anyway, Thursday night at PC they play Lindsey Wilson- it should be a war!! I hope whatever choice Landon makes it proves to be the right one for him. But, it is hard to be sure until he actually gets there and starts to practice...wish him only the best.

I've only seen Anthony play but not got a lot of minutes at the games I've been at, I still don't remember J. Lit but there is probably a good reason for that....lol. Hopefully the Bears can gain momentum going into the conference tournament....as for Landon, I agree....hopefully he'll make the right one and wish him nothing but the best.
Pages: 1 2