Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can a "good" basketball player be born in High School?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it too late once you're in highschool? Answers and opinions please.
I think if you work hard enough it is very possible to get a lot better in high school.
idk, if you dont got the talent to begin with, i dont see how you can get better.

u might get a little better, but not much.
I agree, you can improve some, but if you aren't born with talent, and dont develop it when you're young, i dont see much improvement in high school, JMO
i think if you work hard you can improve, but you have to have heart and the will power too. you can become great
No it is not to late once you get in high school, if you have the "gift" - talent, athleticism, ability to comprehend the tasks, etc. There are many players in the various pro leagues around the world who burst on the scene late in their high school careers. Ironically, there are very few who become "stars" early that actually continue to improve and become stars on the next level. It seems that when players "peak" early, everyone else seems to catch up later!
When you say work hard... explain a little better.
pickandroll Wrote:When you say work hard... explain a little better.

When I say work hard I mean giving 110% all the time. You have to have an attitude that you are going to get better every single day. You have to make a commitment to yourself to go the "extra mile". Be the first one to a workout and the last one to leave. That's what I mean by working hard.
Michael Jordan didn't even make the team in his first or second year of high school, and then worked all season and the off season to come back and make the team. He is now known as one of the "best" to ever play the game. So, no high school isn't to late to become a good player as long as you have the heart and right attitude you can become good at anything.
On_Fire Wrote:Michael Jordan didn't even make the team in his first or second year of high school, and then worked all season and the off season to come back and make the team. He is now known as one of the "best" to ever play the game. So, no high school isn't to late to become a good player as long as you have the heart and right attitude you can become good at anything.

:thumpsup: :thumpsup: Exactly. If you really want it you shouldn't have to have people there to push you towards getting better, you should be able to have enough pride in your self to get better. Sometimes it helps to kind of have an attitude of having a chip on your shoulder, an attitude of "hey, I'm going to get better no matter what anyone else thinks.
Michael Jordan didn't even make the team in his first or second year of high school, and then worked all season and the off season to come back and make the team. He is now known as one of the "best" to ever play the game. So, no high school isn't to late to become a good player as long as you have the heart and right attitude you can become good at anything

i agree 100%.. also what i mean by working hard is in the gym 4 or 5 hrs a day working on every phase of your game and showcasing it. to prove your better than the other guy not just settling for being apart of the team.
totally diffrent sport here but I play soccer and didn't begin playing until JR year and I got a scholarship to play for one of the best teams in the nation
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:totally diffrent sport here but I play soccer and didn't begin playing until JR year and I got a scholarship to play for one of the best teams in the nation
getting a scholarship, and getting better are 2 different things, besides you have alot more player in soccer.
Michael Jordan made the jv team and if I'm not mistaken did get varsity time.
No he didn't, Jordan was cut from the team his freshman AND sophomore year, and then made it his junior year. He wasn't even a part of the team at all until then
EyesInTheStands Wrote:getting a scholarship, and getting better are 2 different things, besides you have alot more player in soccer.

No matter what the sport is you have to be pretty good to get a scholarship to play a college sport.
All through the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and part way through the 90's it was unheard of for any Freshman or Sophomore to be a starter on a varsity sport. Over the last 15 - 20 years, for whatever reason (And I have mine) that has changed, you are seeing more and more underclassman in starting positions.
So, no...its never too late.
If a player decides to start doing steriods or HGH then the possiblities are endless. With the right nutrition and chemical enhancements a player can get a lot better. Almost turn into a different person in a years time. :1:
You got to have the heart to work hard.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Michael Jordan made the jv team and if I'm not mistaken did get varsity time.

Have you not ever read Michael Jordan's story? He joined the high school team as a freshman and was CUT from the team his sophomore year. He played his 1st high school game as a junior which he states as being his most memorable moment in high school basketball besides getting accepted to the University of North Carolina, according to USA today!
IMO about this, is that you have to be born with talent and the extra attiude to go along with it to be great and push yourself to your best every single day!, but as far as becoming good in High School, I will have say sure you can become good or maybe great IF you are around the right people and you have a desire to make yourself better its comes down to one thing "Do you want to be great? or do you want just to consider yourself good or average ball player
EyesInTheStands Wrote:getting a scholarship, and getting better are 2 different things, besides you have alot more player in soccer.

Well lets see up until JR. year I had never played soccer at all never even touched a ball. Then in two years I get a scholarship to a school that competes on the same level as Lindsey Wilson who if you do not know beat one of the top NCAA programs. I am pretty sure that is evidence that an athelte at any sport can be born in high school.
I think you are either born with the ability to run, jump, or be over 6'6 or not. Now, I know there are is some more to basketball than running and jumping, but you'll never see the court unless your'e tall if you can't run. There are some kids that will get by at the high school level and make the team, and maybe contribute some, but how many kids do you see at the college level that's under 6'3 that don't have exceptional speed? I know of several kids who love basketball and have great dribbling, passing, and shooting skills, but can't play on game night because they don't have the speed to play defense. "Speed Kills" and that's the bottom line in basketball. Not many kids play basketball at the elite level. Less than 1% of high school basketball players play some type of pro ball. This is just my opinion.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well lets see up until JR. year I had never played soccer at all never even touched a ball. Then in two years I get a scholarship to a school that competes on the same level as Lindsey Wilson who if you do not know beat one of the top NCAA programs. I am pretty sure that is evidence that an athelte at any sport can be born in high school.
I'm not sure playing soccer qualifies you as an athlete! No disrespect intended. It does produce good kickers for football though!
thepharmacist Wrote:Have you not ever read Michael Jordan's story? He joined the high school team as a freshman and was CUT from the team his sophomore year. He played his 1st high school game as a junior which he states as being his most memorable moment in high school basketball besides getting accepted to the University of North Carolina, according to USA today!
Michael Jordan is the exception to the rule. He's also 6'6 and has blazing foot and hand speed. I don't know, maybe he didn't grow any until his junior year. I havn't read his biography.
i think that is the person is athletic enough and has enough heart to work out to improve then yes they can..
Elwayfan Wrote:I'm not sure playing soccer qualifies you as an athlete! No disrespect intended. It does produce good kickers for football though!

Well i am going to take that as disrespect because it is very disrespectful actually. Just because i do not play basketball, football and so on doesn't mean crap. I began as a basketball player and football player and baseball but found out my junior year that Soccer was my sport to play. If you want to be like all the rest American's that bring soccer down then go right ahead but the last time I checked soccer is considered the worlds sport. Also the last time I checked any one who plays any sport is considered an athlete. In soccer you need to have the ability to run and jump just like in football and basketball so tell me why do you not consider soccer players athletes because you gave no reasoning.

Oppose to track and field athletes soccer players have the best endurance just to throw that out there. We run up at least 5 miles a game and still have the ability to do any athletic things a football player or basketball player does.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well i am going to take that as disrespect because it is very disrespectful actually. Just because i do not play basketball, football and so on doesn't mean crap. I began as a basketball player and football player and baseball but found out my junior year that Soccer was my sport to play. If you want to be like all the rest American's that bring soccer down then go right ahead but the last time I checked soccer is considered the worlds sport. Also the last time I checked any one who plays any sport is considered an athlete. In soccer you need to have the ability to run and jump just like in football and basketball so tell me why do you not consider soccer players athletes because you gave no reasoning.

Oppose to track and field athletes soccer players have the best endurance just to throw that out there. We run up at least 5 miles a game and still have the ability to do any athletic things a football player or basketball player does.

Yea IMO the only sport I really wouldnt count as a sport would be like bowling or billards or somethin like that, but the ppl that do play that for a sport are usually very very talented at it, but I do think that is disrespect towards you, I never played soccer or anything but I would have to say you have to be very good to recieve a scholly for it!
RedSeal Wrote:Yea IMO the only sport I really wouldnt count as a sport would be like bowling or billards or somethin like that, but the ppl that do play that for a sport are usually very very talented at it, but I do think that is disrespect towards you, I never played soccer or anything but I would have to say you have to be very good to recieve a scholly for it!

thanks Red Seal i am happy someone agrees w/ me
Yea way to late
Pages: 1 2