Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Can a "good" basketball player be born in High School?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Elwayfan Wrote:I'm not sure playing soccer qualifies you as an athlete! No disrespect intended. It does produce good kickers for football though!

Why would soccer not be considered a sport?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well i am going to take that as disrespect because it is very disrespectful actually. Just because i do not play basketball, football and so on doesn't mean crap. I began as a basketball player and football player and baseball but found out my junior year that Soccer was my sport to play. If you want to be like all the rest American's that bring soccer down then go right ahead but the last time I checked soccer is considered the worlds sport. Also the last time I checked any one who plays any sport is considered an athlete. In soccer you need to have the ability to run and jump just like in football and basketball so tell me why do you not consider soccer players athletes because you gave no reasoning.

Oppose to track and field athletes soccer players have the best endurance just to throw that out there. We run up at least 5 miles a game and still have the ability to do any athletic things a football player or basketball player does.
Not only would I be willing to be that he never watched a soccer game. But I bet he wouldnt get on the field with a so-so soccer player for more than 5 minutes. It would be fun to watch though.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Not only would I be willing to be that he never watched a soccer game. But I bet he wouldnt get on the field with a so-so soccer player for more than 5 minutes. It would be fun to watch though.

lol ur so correct lol
pickandroll Wrote:Is it too late once you're in highschool? Answers and opinions please.

Nowadays it helps to have a ball put in your crib as soon as possible. lol But you could become a good player if you did everything the coach told you plus work in gym on your own two or three hours a night. Do pick up games on weekends with superior players. keep tremendous attitude. It would help if you are over 6'8" too, and very quick. Going to be much, much harder if you want to be a point guard. I would recommend becoming a defensive demon. Coaches love them and will play a good defensive player even if they don't have offense.
amare stoudamire ( how ever spell his last name) didnt even touch a basketball until he was 14 look how good he is...Michael jordan was a very good high school player even as a freshmen and sophomore...Go look at his average on the J.V. team... His high school team was very good also...
pickandroll Wrote:Is it too late once you're in highschool? Answers and opinions please.
I don't believe that for a minute. The best player the world has ever seen couldn't even make his high school team as a 10th grader. He was also not offered a scholarship to UNC untill another kid changed his mind and went to a different school.

I have known local kids who were starters when they were seniors and never made their middle school teams.
Henry Webb from McDowell. His sophomore year was the difference. He went from no minutes as a freshman to a starter as a sophomore and did well at Alice LLoyd. He is one of the main reasons I do not give up on kids in elementary or middle school. I have heard coaches tell kids that they will never make it. He was told this at Allen Central. I didn't think that Henry would. But, I admit I was wrong about him.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well i am going to take that as disrespect because it is very disrespectful actually. Just because i do not play basketball, football and so on doesn't mean crap. I began as a basketball player and football player and baseball but found out my junior year that Soccer was my sport to play. If you want to be like all the rest American's that bring soccer down then go right ahead but the last time I checked soccer is considered the worlds sport. Also the last time I checked any one who plays any sport is considered an athlete. In soccer you need to have the ability to run and jump just like in football and basketball so tell me why do you not consider soccer players athletes because you gave no reasoning.

Oppose to track and field athletes soccer players have the best endurance just to throw that out there. We run up at least 5 miles a game and still have the ability to do any athletic things a football player or basketball player does.
:Thumbs:
Personally I don't think it is ever too late to be a top basketball player as long as: (1) you have the size and athletic ability to play, (2) you have the motivation to play, and (3) you don't wait until you are too old to play! lol

With that said, the earlier you start the better because the experience and skills development will put you a little further ahead than the late bloomers.

But I think a kid with the right size, determination and athletic ability could technically wait until they were a senior and still be good!
Its hard to do... but possible i guess.
For with GOD NOTHING shall be impossible!!!!!(Luke 1:37)!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim Duncan started playing Basketball in High School, and look at him.
Pages: 1 2