Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Capt. DH Wrote:You want hardnosed football and Ben Howard. He runs a finesse spread offense. Nothing very hardnosed about that. His defense may be hardnosed but half hardnosed is not what you seem to be saying.

Just for the record you can have a hardnosed football team if you run a spread offense. If I'm not mistaken WVU is a very tough team and what offense do they run? But anyway the offense you run has nothing to do with your team being hardnosed. I was suggesting that B. Howard might make the kids tougher and make them want to play hard for him. Look who his dad is, that has to rub off somewhat.
jetpilot Wrote:The kids would run their head through a wall for Jason when he was at Pikeville. He is a VERY good teacher as well. As for baggage, no one on this board hasn't made mistakes in their life that they have hopefully learned from as they grew older and wiser.:mad: If the goal at Pikeville is to hire a coach who hasn't made any mistakes, they are in for a very long search, lol.

Agree 110%............
My son came to me and cried, and wants to ONLY PLAY for Coach Copley. He will not play for anyone else and will switch schools if needed. He said more kids are comming out this year because they want Copley. The dedication and the love for the students and the game that Copley has, the overtime that he's put in he deserves it. They are a PANTHER FAMILY and they will ALL stick together to make sure the Head Coach is COPLEY. I suggest that our community needs to express there opinions, and look what the coach has done for all of our kids. WE WANT COPLEY!!!!! COME ON PIKEVILLE!! SAY it with me WE WANT COPLEY!!!!! WE WANT COPLEY!!!!!

All The Football Players Want Copley
From what Im hearing the principal has already put together a search and selection commitee and a choice will be made in 30 to 40 days. Anyone else heard this???
jetpilot Wrote:The kids would run their head through a wall for Jason when he was at Pikeville. He is a VERY good teacher as well. As for baggage, no one on this board hasn't made mistakes in their life that they have hopefully learned from as they grew older and wiser.:mad: If the goal at Pikeville is to hire a coach who hasn't made any mistakes, they are in for a very long search, lol.

Thank you!
Beef Wrote:No need to go there.

I assume that you are pointing out the fact that past RUMORS and INNUENDO of a destructive nature does not need to be brought into a public forum. If so, KUDOS!
Phoenix Panther Wrote:I wouldn't want my son playing for either of these gentlemen, due to past track record.

Not the kinds of Role Models he needs at this point in life.
Maybe Pikeville should hire Jesus Christ.

Wonder if anyone there has contacted him yet, sounds like they are looking for the perfect man.

Remind me not to walk near the windows at PHS, sounds like some glass home dwellers are throwing stones.
master the universe Wrote:My son came to me and cried, and wants to ONLY PLAY for Coach Copley. He will not play for anyone else and will switch schools if needed. He said more kids are comming out this year because they want Copley. The dedication and the love for the students and the game that Copley has, the overtime that he's put in he deserves it. They are a PANTHER FAMILY and they will ALL stick together to make sure the Head Coach is COPLEY. I suggest that our community needs to express there opinions, and look what the coach has done for all of our kids. WE WANT COPLEY!!!!! COME ON PIKEVILLE!! SAY it with me WE WANT COPLEY!!!!! WE WANT COPLEY!!!!!

If the whole community expresses their opinion, Copley won't be in the top 3. Nothing against him, but there simply are more qualified candidates out there. If your son is crying about the coaching situation and will only play for Copley and will change schools if necessary, well....Smile
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Maybe Pikeville should hire Jesus Christ.

Wonder if anyone there has contacted him yet, sounds like they are looking for the perfect man.

Remind me not to walk near the windows at PHS, sounds like some glass home dwellers are throwing stones.

Great post.
PHS95 Wrote:Past track record of WHAT? Excellent teaching? (Which is, after all, the reason these people are hired in the first place!) Past record of coaching with intensity? Loyalty to a school? Sounds like a pretty good role model to me... not perfect, but pretty good! Where can I sign my kid up to play for Coach Howell??
After thinking I would like either Howell or Copley, I think they would both do a fine job. And as for the hire: What about teaching positions? I know Jackson taught some kind of history so what will that have to do with the hire?
jetpilot Wrote:If the whole community expresses their opinion, Copley won't be in the top 3. Nothing against him, but there simply are more qualified candidates out there. If your son is crying about the coaching situation and will only play for Copley and will change schools if necessary, well....Smile
Very true. The Pikeville alum will try to get the best coach they can find.
PHS95 Wrote:Past track record of WHAT? Excellent teaching? (Which is, after all, the reason these people are hired in the first place!) Past record of coaching with intensity? Loyalty to a school? Sounds like a pretty good role model to me... not perfect, but pretty good! Where can I sign my kid up to play for Coach Howell??

Football experience.....how many years.....Head coaching experience.......how many years

Not trying to step on toes, but whomever takes Jackson place must have experience under their belt.
Jason Howell was an assistant at Pikeville for 10 years and has been an assistant at Tates Creek for 3 years! Is that enough experience?

Also, As far as the teaching positions, he also teaches history.

Fox Sports: I'm not saying Jesus Christ.... I think he's pretty busy coaching the team he already has.

I didn't want to start a riot....
PHS95 Wrote:Jason Howell was an assistant at Pikeville for 10 years and has been an assistant at Tates Creek for 3 years! Is that enough experience?

Also, As far as the teaching positions, he also teaches history.

Thank you

for the informative answer

Not throwing stones...Just saying it's a hard place to coach and whomever gets the position better be ready to make things happen.
1911 Wrote:Look who his dad is, that has to rub off somewhat.
That statement right there is IMO why I dont see Ben even trying to get this job. Everyone is going to expect him to be his dad and do everything the way his dad did it. Every coach that has been here since coach Howard left has been criticized and ridiculed for the simple reason that they werent coach Howard and didnt do everything the way he did it. I just think that type of scrutiny would be even worse on his own son. Im not saying I dont think Ben would be a good coach because I think he would be. I just think he might be putting himself in a situation where the expectations from the community would be hard to live uo to. Bens awful rough on VolksWagens too LOL!!!Wink
Phoenix Panther Wrote:Fox Sports: I'm not saying Jesus Christ.... I think he's pretty busy coaching the team he already has.

I didn't want to start a riot....

Riot??? There will be no such on this thread. It will be closed so quickly it would make your head spin. NOW.....

There are MORE than the above mentioned names I assume who are going to be considered for the position. Please, keep it on topic and quit bashing other coaches. What they do on their own time has NOTHING to do with their coaching ability. NO MORE BASHING!!!!
BTW, I am finished with this thread before I say something I shouldn't or make someone mad....my apologies if I have offended anyone...just stating my opinion, nothing personal intended toward anyone.
What kindve offense does he run? LOL!!!Smile Smile Smile
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:What kindve offense does he run? LOL!!!Smile Smile Smile

The "holy" I....
We can see from this thread, one small problem with a small community.

Everyone knows everyone else's business, and usually not the whole story but parts of it, with other parts embellished.

Do you not think that Copley made some mistakes when he was younger?

What about Hillard Howard? I bet he did some things in the past that wouldn't look so good now.

The good thing about hiring outside of the area, is that the Pikeville community has NO CLUE what the guy did in the past...and that's a good thing. It's not their business.

As for Ben Howard or Jason Howell, this community needs to "let him without sin cast the first stone."
ComfortEagle Wrote:We can see from this thread, one small problem with a small community.

Everyone knows everyone else's business, and usually not the whole story but parts of it, with other parts embellished.

What about Hillard Howard? I bet he did some things in the past that wouldn't look so good now.

The thing about hiring out of the district, outside of the region, is that the Pikeville community has NO CLUE what the guy did in the past...and that's a good thing. It's not their business.

As for Ben Howard or Jason Howell, this community needs to "let him without sin cast the first stone."

Nice Post CE!!! :Clap:
jetpilot Wrote:If the whole community expresses their opinion, Copley won't be in the top 3. Nothing against him, but there simply are more qualified candidates out there. If your son is crying about the coaching situation and will only play for Copley and will change schools if necessary, well....Smile
I guess the kids have voiced there opinion being that 5 kids who have quit in the past 2 years have came back since tuesday. From what some of the kids told me there are more where that came from. So apparently you dont have your finger on the pulse of this program as well as you think you do. If Copely can get the kids out that weve lost which hes already proven he can do then I believe he deserves to be looked at pretty hard by the selection commitee. Im sure not every kid on the team or in the community likes Copely. But name me a place where the that happens? You dont have to like a coach, but you do have to respect him. Between Capt. DH and Myself weve talked to the entire team since Jackson quit and theve ALL said theyd love to play for Copely. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt be opposed to Ben Howard coming here to coach but I honestly just dont see him leaving the situation hes in at LCC.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I guess the kids have voiced there opinion being that 5 kids who have quit in the past 2 years have came back since tuesday. From what some of the kids told me there are more where that came from. So apparently you dont have your finger on the pulse of this program as well as you think you do. If Copely can get the kids out that weve lost which hes already proven he can do then I believe he deserves to be looked at pretty hard by the selection commitee. Im sure not every kid on the team or in the community likes Copely. But name me a place where the that happens? You dont have to like a coach, but you do have to respect him. Between Capt. DH and Myself weve talked to the entire team since Jackson quit and theve ALL said theyd love to play for Copely. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt be opposed to Ben Howard coming here to coach but I honestly just dont see him leaving the situation hes in at LCC.

It doesn't matter if the kids like the coach. That obviously has no bearing on the decision. I don't know a single kid that played under Coach McNamee that wanted him to leave or didn't respect him. Like-ability doesn't determine who the coach will be. But it was the administrations feeling that Pikeville needed a new direction that led to him going back to Pike Central.

I believe that even more so than they did at that period of time, they want this program to go in a different direction again.
ComfortEagle Wrote:We can see from this thread, one small problem with a small community.

The good thing about hiring outside of the area, is that the Pikeville community has NO CLUE what the guy did in the past...and that's a good thing. It's not their business.

Very true and factor in high expectations to the equation and it never ends up good.
PantherPro Wrote:No they dont.

I shouldn't have to explain that.

Also, with Jason Howell. It won't happen

With record (and I don't mean football) he has at PHS, many high standing members in the community would roll over and die twice before he or Howard for that matter took that field, as a head coach or as a water boy.

That wont happen.

Also, there is a HIGH chance that they will go out of district on this one, but if by some chance they do stay inside the district, Copley will be most apt to get the position. But like I said, it wont be an inside thing, then you just have to replace Copley, and so on. Pikeville really dosen't like doing that.

Also, The athletic committee is who decides who the coach will be, presents it to the principal, and he hires. Thats the way it works, Kind of an unwritten code. I do believe Mayo has the ''final say'' in it, but I'd bet my house that he would not go away from the committee. Its unheard of.

The principal has to consult with the SBDM council before making his/her recommendation. This is law. But even after consulting it is still the principal's call.
ComfortEagle Wrote:It doesn't matter if the kids like the coach. That obviously has no bearing on the decision. I don't know a single kid that played under Coach McNamee that wanted him to leave or didn't respect him. Like-ability doesn't determine who the coach will be. But it was the administrations feeling that Pikeville needed a new direction that led to him going back to Pike Central.

I believe that even more so than they did at that period of time, they want this program to go in a different direction again.
I too am one of the ones who want this program to change directions as far as getting it back to where it used to be. I also think that we here at Pikeville are in the desirable position of going in a different direction and having a coach who already knows these kids and has these kids respect. Just becuase Copley coached under Jackson doesnt mean they have the same coaching philosophies (the opposite is true in this case.) Copely is an old school type of coach in a young mans body and that is IMO exactly what this program needs. Another thing is we need a coach who will stay around for a while and not bolt out of here after a few years. Copelys has had plent of oppurtunities to leave over the past 3 years for good HC postion but has turned all of them down because he wants to stay here.
I played at pikeville when Howell was there and then i played when Copley and Jackson where there. The best thing that ever happend for me and my football career was for Copley and Jackson to get the job. If Howell would have gotten the job then when he applied for it they wouldn't have had enough football players to dress out a team. Howell is a good assistant coach and as far as i think he should stay at tates creek i here they really like him down there. As for Copley I think that it is best that he gets the job. Because he has ran the same deffense now for three years and it keeps getting better and better every year. The offense will finally be the same in consecutive years thats good and plus all the kids love him. Honestly When i played for him i would have done anything the man asked me to do he meant alot to me and i played my best for him. He got people into college that maybe shouldnt really havent been playing college ball although i dont think any of them are playing now but at least he did his job by helping them get the cahnce to play.

Thats my 2 sense and if Copley doesnt get it I hope the person that does get it is just as quallified as he is.

GO PANTHERS
ComfortEagle Wrote:It doesn't matter if the kids like the coach. That obviously has no bearing on the decision. I don't know a single kid that played under Coach McNamee that wanted him to leave or didn't respect him. Like-ability doesn't determine who the coach will be. But it was the administrations feeling that Pikeville needed a new direction that led to him going back to Pike Central.

I totally agree. Just because players like a certain coach it does not mean that they would not like another coach. For example what if Petrino (sounds funny but its time for him to change jobs again lol) wanted to coach at Pikeville. And we ask the players if they liked Petrino. Maybe they would all say they want to play for Petrino.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15