Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 58th District Fee for Streaming District Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just saw in a Facebook post by WMDJ FM 100 that the 58th District host school (Prestonsburg) was charging a fee of $2,500 for streaming rights of the tournament this year, up from $500 in previous years. Does anyone have any similar situations around the state? First I had heard of a price tag this high for a district tournament.
Phone gonna be ringing off the hook at PHS and FCS
(02-23-2024, 05:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Phone gonna be ringing off the hook at PHS and FCS

Good news is someone will probably be in the office late in the evening at PHS interviewing football coaches

Update: the original price was $3,000 and is now down to $1,500 after discussions. Misread the post the first time through.
(02-23-2024, 05:17 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: [ -> ]Just saw in a Facebook post by WMDJ FM 100 that the 58th District host school (Prestonsburg) was charging a fee of $2,500 for streaming rights of the tournament this year, up from $500 in previous years. Does anyone have any similar situations around the state? First I had heard of a price tag this high for a district tournament.
We don’t have to worry about it in the 57th cause the communists over in Martin County won’t allow live streaming at their events  Big Grin
(02-23-2024, 05:36 PM)Colonel4Life1999 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2024, 05:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Phone gonna be ringing off the hook at PHS and FCS

Good news is someone will probably be in the office late in the evening at PHS interviewing football coaches

Update: the original price was $3,000 and is now down to $1,500 after discussions. Misread the post the first time through.
Big Grin Woah SMH. I hate that situation for those kids at Pburg so bad.
from WMDJ....
PUBLIC NOTICE CONCERNING 58TH DISTRICT TOURNAMENT
If you are expecting to watch your child or grandchild play in next week’s 58th District Tournament at the Prestonsburg Fieldhouse, WMDJ would like to apologize in advance, as we will not be able to provide live streaming coverage to social media for the event.
Prestonsburg High School Principal Ricky Thacker and Floyd County Schools Superintendent Anna Shepherd made the decision to raise the fee for live streaming 500% from last year.
That’s an increase from $500 to $3,000.00 to provide live stream service for 6 district tournament games.
Outside of the 57th District Tournament at Martin County High School which does not permit any live streaming, NO other district in the 15th Region charges a fee to media for live streaming. Matter of fact, no district in the 14th Region charges a fee for district tournament live streaming.
Only Floyd County Schools and the 58th District require a fee.
During COVID, we made the decision to expand our coverage of high school sports to provide live streaming via Facebook. Since then, we have provided live stream service of the 58th District Tournament for past two years. During that time, according to public records submitted to the KHSAA, the 58th District Tournament schools have seen their profits increase and attendance increase.
2020 Net Profit: $5,526.16
Attendance at Prestonsburg High: 1,766
2021 Net Profit: $8,662.84
Attendance at Betsy Layne High: 2,029
2022 Net Profit: $12,353.42
Attendance at Floyd Central High: 2,242
2023 Net Profit: $13,382.09
Attendance at Lawrence Co. High: 2,409
Profits made by schools in the 58th District last season were the highest in six years and despite live streaming, so is attendance, thus the narrative of “having the game on Facebook” is hurting the tournament is frankly false.
A decision was made today by Principal Thacker and Superintendent Shepherd to reduce the fee to a 250% increase over last year. We feel that because profits and attendance are up, the fee should remain the same, yet we’re at an impasse.
For over 40 years, WMDJ has strived in being a community partner with our local schools. We’ve always felt that our most precious natural resource, our children, is a top priority.
WMDJ will provide radio coverage of each game and audio streaming on WMDJFM.com and via the WMDJ Mobile App.
Thank you for your understanding.
Have to pay for a new football coach somehow
I did see that WPRG is streaming the games. So either they paid the money or got a discount. Also they probably have the extra money to pay the fee, we’re as wmdj or D&D do not.
(02-23-2024, 07:21 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]I did see that WPRG is streaming the games. So either they paid the money or got a discount. Also they probably have the extra money to pay the fee, we’re as wmdj or D&D do not.

Well the Gearhearts have Gearheart money so no fee would be too high for them.
WPRG went to Prestonsburg or the board asking for a high price that they could pay so they’d be the only company streaming the tourney so then Ricky Thacker and the board I’m assuming decided to say if they paid that price then it’s only fair to make everyone else pay that price if they want to stream the games. WPRG has the money from intermountain cable
(02-23-2024, 09:51 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]WPRG went to Prestonsburg or the board asking for a high price that they could pay so they’d be the only company streaming the tourney so then Ricky Thacker and the board I’m assuming decided to say if they paid that price then it’s only fair to make everyone else pay that price if they want to stream the games. WPRG has the money from intermountain cable

WMDJ's coverage is second to none with no disrespect to D&D and WPRG. I don't think you could find another broadcaster that is for all the kids and the schools like Jamey Johnson is. He's one of the best people you could meet, and so are Byron Hall and Josh McKinney. The time they put into promoting these kids is also second to none as they do a weekly podcast/Facebook live about the local sports scene. Those guys should be treated like royalty anywhere in Floyd County.
(02-23-2024, 10:24 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-23-2024, 09:51 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]WPRG went to Prestonsburg or the board asking for a high price that they could pay so they’d be the only company streaming the tourney so then Ricky Thacker and the board I’m assuming decided to say if they paid that price then it’s only fair to make everyone else pay that price if they want to stream the games. WPRG has the money from intermountain cable

WMDJ's coverage is second to none with no disrespect to D&D and WPRG. I don't think you could find another broadcaster that is for all the kids and the schools like Jamey Johnson is. He's one of the best people you could meet, and so are Byron Hall and Josh McKinney. The time they put into promoting these kids is also second to none as they do a weekly podcast/Facebook live about the local sports scene. Those guys should be treated like royalty anywhere in Floyd County.

Jamey Johnson not calling a 58th district tournament is criminal
(02-23-2024, 10:24 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: [ -> ]

Jamey Johnson is awesome.  I don't know Byron Hall.  Whenever I think of Josh McKinney I think of his hot mic incident involving Johnson Central.
Jamey and WMDJ will be at the tournament broadcasting for the radio and their website/mobile app, just wont be video streaming it over their Facebook page. I am glad they are at least still going to broadcast it over the radio.

What was the hot mic incident with McKinney? I haven't heard of that incident.
Jamey is likely the best shot caller in this entire area.. Just my opinion.. Hes fun to listen too
(02-23-2024, 11:37 PM)Blacksmith Wrote: [ -> ]Jamey is likely the best shot caller in this entire area.. Just my opinion.. Hes fun to listen too

JD Hughes who does Pikeville’s stuff is top notch too
This is awful I really like Jamey and d and d is definitely the biggest thing in sports so would love see all them. I ask our coaches and they said Rick Thacker doesn’t like the other two outlets, so he stuck it to them is what it was over. I will watch d and d over anyone they are definitely the most knowledgeable and have scoop over anyone but WMDJ is second. The WPRG companies has announcers that are like their internet they both suck. Did here from a parent that they may be some stuff come out bout Prestonsburg and Jamey has told the principal it will come out. That’s here say tho. I don’t know why having 3 companies do the game isn’t best thing for kids, I hope what happens is nobody shows up and the parents that do go all go live so the elderly can still watch without Ricky Thacker getting rich. So glad we have good leadership #Bobcat4Life
Martin Coutny does broadcast their games. They have a journalism class which broadcast the games on hudl for a fee of 7$.
(02-24-2024, 03:44 AM)IntheZone Wrote: [ -> ]Martin Coutny does broadcast their games. They have a journalism class which broadcast the games on hudl for a fee of 7$.

And it’s not great. They doesn’t follow the ball half the time and don’t every hardly show the scoreboard. Or at least that was my experience when Betsy Layne girls played there this past week.
(02-23-2024, 11:22 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: [ -> ]Jamey and WMDJ will be at the tournament broadcasting for the radio and their website/mobile app, just wont be video streaming it over their Facebook page. I am glad they are at least still going to broadcast it over the radio.

https://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showth...pid1801333
I want to know what kick back the board is getting from it? I saw they posted for bids on replacing the turf at Prestonsburg so I’m willing to bet this is part of the reasoning. The Board has never done anything to help Prestonsburg so it was surprising to me to see them post for bids on the turf. The city has always covered these expenses because the board is so anti-Prestonsburg.
(02-23-2024, 11:22 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: [ -> ]Jamey and WMDJ will be at the tournament broadcasting for the radio and their website/mobile app, just wont be video streaming it over their Facebook page. I am glad they are at least still going to broadcast it over the radio.

https://bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showth...pid1800448
Here's the scoop....The schools have to either restrict or charge a prices or do whatever because if they didn't there'd be 20 "outlets" with cell phones proclaiming themselves media networks demanding to bring 8 people in to do the live broadcast, everyone wants to be Dick Vitale looking for Facebook fame. I think if the schools say we're picking one network over another they'll get sued by someone claiming freedom of the press, that's the reason for the fee. Real press with advertisers usually have a dedicated phone line, their own wifi installed at these venues who broadcast and will pay the fee.

13th region has at least a dozen of these "Media Networks" with a new one popping up every week.

Someone above mentioned a broadcast/technology/media class, that's exactly what every school should do, create a class and designate kids to do the broadcast, anyone with a cell phone can do it it's not rocket science. Then when you get to the district and region you charge a fee. These "Media" guys want free admission, hospitality, reserved parking and all the perks, they're not stupid.

There is a reason behind this madness FYI
The Martin County feed is really bad, I tried it when we went there and beat them earlier this year biggest waste of money ever. WMDJ and d and d is the best I’ve watched. The WMDJ has better scoreboard but they are very biased when Floyd is playing, d and d has the most knowledgeable people and when I watcher Prestonsburg games I never felt they was biased, surprising with the two guys having kids on team. The one always talks about his kid and finds away to mention him even if he’s on bench but rather listen to them any day over Jamey, if made to choose but both are good. WPRG Iis clearly the worst option in Floyd County. That principle needs fired for this decision. Can’t wait to see what this news is Jamey is saying he’s going to release on Prestonsburg, could be getting a lot of kids on the hill
(02-24-2024, 10:58 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the scoop....The schools have to either restrict or charge a prices or do whatever because if they didn't there'd be 20 "outlets"  with cell phones proclaiming themselves media networks demanding to bring 8 people in to do the live broadcast, everyone wants to be Dick Vitale looking for Facebook fame.  I think if the schools say we're picking one network over another they'll get sued by someone claiming freedom of the press, that's the reason for the fee.  Real press with advertisers usually have a dedicated phone line, their own wifi installed at these venues who broadcast and will pay the fee.

13th region has at least a dozen of these "Media Networks" with a new one popping up every week.

Someone above mentioned a broadcast/technology/media class, that's exactly what every school should do, create a class and designate kids to do the broadcast, anyone with a cell phone can do it it's not rocket science.  Then when you get to the district and region you charge a fee.  These "Media" guys want free admission, hospitality, reserved parking and all the perks, they're not stupid. 

There is a reason behind this madness FYI
The original $500 fee would have prevented that.
WPRG is my favorite.  I think they do an outstanding job.  I also like Jamey a lot.  As far as WMDJ being biased for Floyd Central, they should be.  The radio station is located in Martin.
Are you an idiot with this crazy fee they clearly picked one network over other, from my understanding these networks still have to pay fees to the state, it takes a special person to do that for the kids. Heard Ricky Thacker’s kids don’t even go to Floyd County guys a joke, glad we passed him down the road. My son was looking forward to being seen on d and d they are the only ones ever mention him cause he don’t play a lot. my cousin was excited because the dance team gets covered by them too guys. Change fee and Let Jamey or d and d in or step down from your job Ricky Thacker. All people that let this pass should be ashamed of yourself
Here is what Junior Newsome, Floyd County board member wrote on his personal Facebook and Jamey Johnson commented on that post.
Well it is Martin county high school students putting the broadcast on so I’m sure it is not professional. I have not watched it myself I just see them advertising it on Facebook.
(02-24-2024, 12:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what Junior Newsome, Floyd County board member wrote on his personal Facebook and Jamey Johnson commented on that post.

He said “no cheerleaders or players have to pay to get in these games” lol

They never have and why should they ever have to? That was pointless.
Pages: 1 2 3