Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 58th District Fee for Streaming District Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don’t think iit is the board I seen Jamey post that and Darryl posted in support of Anna Shepherd. So reading between lines it was a Ricky Thacker decision. Hope everyone that goes filmss this game and show them we have the power. I will not go in support of Jamey and d and d if I watch I will on a parents phone. WPRG is really bad commentary, they have pushed the small man out, I promise Adam Gearheart don’t care about the kids, or our County he like Ricky Thacker sends there kids to Pike County. Ricky deserves to be fired if he don’t allow them to film for a low price. I for one Hope Keathley brings his kid to play for Mike I think he his original from here
#Bobcat4Life
I think this decision is from Anna Sheppard telling Ricky Thacker what to do but I think Ricky is in agreement with his boss for sure.

But to be devil’s advocate for a moment.

Why can WMDJ not afford to pay the $1,500 fee it now has been reduced to? They have some big sponsors they I guarantee pay them a good amount of money to broadcast with their names advertised on it.
(02-24-2024, 04:30 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think iit is the board I seen Jamey post that and Darryl posted in support of Anna Shepherd. So reading between lines it was a Ricky Thacker decision. Hope everyone that goes filmss this game and show them we have the power. I will not go in support of Jamey and d and d if I watch I will on a parents phone. WPRG is  really bad commentary, they have pushed the small man out, I promise Adam Gearheart don’t care about the kids, or our County he like Ricky Thacker sends there kids to Pike County. Ricky deserves to be fired if he don’t allow them to film for a low price. I for one  Hope Keathley brings his kid to play for Mike I think he his original from here
#Bobcat4Life

Can you blame Adam for doing what was best for his kids?  The Floyd County School System is in horrible shape.  Pikeville Independent Schools are far superior.  I don't blame Adam one bit.  My question is do Floyd County Schools care about the kids?
They don’t moves like this show it I’ve seen what these people drive Adam is only one with a care newer then 10 years old. WMDJ should have the money but I think it’s more principal of it. Does Thacker think this is the NBA it’s High School basketball in a very poor area. Man is greedy and he’s not only one, can’t wait to Jamey drops his bombs a lot of heads will roll. Thacker may want to make it right with them just saying. May be some illegal stuff goin on that don’t want out. Hire crooks you get what ya got, hire preachers you get what we got at Betsy Layne.
(02-24-2024, 06:41 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]They don’t moves like this show it I’ve seen what these people drive Adam is only one with a care newer then 10 years old.  WMDJ should have the money but I think it’s more principal of it. Does Thacker think this is the NBA it’s High School basketball in a very poor area. Man is greedy and he’s not only one, can’t wait to Jamey drops his bombs a lot of heads will roll.  Thacker may want to make it right with them just saying. May be some illegal stuff goin on that don’t want out. Hire crooks you get what ya got, hire preachers you get what we got at Betsy Layne.

What bombs does Jamey?
Didn’t say but Jamey’s friend said he knew a lot on Prestonsburg and a Floyd County middle school he said Jamey said if they didn’t do right he would expose them I want to see what it is to
(02-24-2024, 07:01 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]Didn’t say but Jamey’s friend said he knew a lot on Prestonsburg and a Floyd County middle school he said Jamey said if they didn’t do right he would expose them I want to see what it is to

I don’t think blackballing is the way to handle this if he actually did say that. His company he works for has the oppurtunity to pay the fee to stream the game.
Not road iid take but have my popcorn ready just in case.
Holbrook is the best announcer in the county!!
We tellin jokes now? Jamey is hundred times better. d and d has best besides Jamey cause they seem to know the kids better, learn lot from them, Mountain atop has horrible announcer but best to look at. The newsome guy on d and d is really good to. Holbrook is best WPRG has I’ll give you that.
Why is everyone so up in arms about this, It's an event held at the school and if they want to charge a fee so be it. I guess Dumb and Dumber are upset because it cuts into the money they make from the sponsors they are making on the name of our kids when they go and ask for money in the communities. I guess getting unemployment while making all cash on that has caught up to them but who knows. Kudos for Pburg and any other school that wants to charge for live streaming in their building. If you don't like it pay the fee or just go to the game in person and quit being a free loader trying to watch it for free.
(02-24-2024, 04:54 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this decision is from Anna Sheppard telling Ricky Thacker what to do but I think Ricky is in agreement with his boss for sure.

Why can WMDJ not afford to pay the $1,500 fee it now has been reduced to? They have some big sponsors they I guarantee pay them a good amount of money to broadcast with their names advertised on it.

This is coming from someone in the media but someone who isn't necessarily in-the-know when it comes to WMDJ's financials.
Every radio station does this differently, but I can promise you when radio stations started streaming games live they do not make a ton more money but end up spending more money because now they have to pay people to run the camera and the video broadcast.

So they don't make much more money, they have to pay more people to do it, and then the schools ask them to pay a fee (which they are already paying a KHSAA fee to do postseason games to begin with).

There's a misconception going around that radio stations make out like Scrooge McDuck swimming around in all their big sponsor money and cost schools thousands and thousands of dollars at the gate. It's simply not true. Once the radio stations pay for the man hours spent on these games they don't make a ton of money and some of them do the postseason games as a public service and lose money.

Would love to see everyone pick one night and just listen to the games on the radio in protest of this nonsense.
(02-24-2024, 11:14 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2024, 04:54 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this decision is from Anna Sheppard telling Ricky Thacker what to do but I think Ricky is in agreement with his boss for sure.

This is coming from someone in the media but someone who isn't necessarily in-the-know when it comes to WMDJ's financials.
Every radio station does this differently, but I can promise you when radio stations started streaming games live they do not make a ton more money but end up spending more money because now they have to pay people to run the camera and the video broadcast.

So they don't make much more money, they have to pay more people to do it, and then the schools ask them to pay a fee (which they are already paying a KHSAA fee to do postseason games to begin with).

There's a misconception going around that radio stations make out like Scrooge McDuck swimming around in all their big sponsor money and cost schools thousands and thousands of dollars at the gate. It's simply not true. Once the radio stations pay for the man hours spent on these games they don't make a ton of money and some of them do the postseason games as a public service and lose money.

Would love to see everyone pick one night and just listen to the games on the radio in protest of this nonsense.

These guys aren’t making Chevy High Country money by any means I know that but they also ain’t doing it out of the kindness of their heart. I know some sponsors that pay for screen time and it ain’t cheap to get their ads ran on these programs.
(02-24-2024, 06:41 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]They don’t moves like this show it I’ve seen what these people drive Adam is only one with a care newer then 10 years old.  WMDJ should have the money but I think it’s more principal of it. Does Thacker think this is the NBA it’s High School basketball in a very poor area. Man is greedy and he’s not only one, can’t wait to Jamey drops his bombs a lot of heads will roll.  Thacker may want to make it right with them just saying. May be some illegal stuff goin on that don’t want out. Hire crooks you get what ya got, hire preachers you get what we got at Betsy Layne.
What the hell is wrong with you, son? You've went on for a month straight about "Mike". "Mike" who is 15-14. "Mike" who you keep repeating that would love to have this player an that player "on the hill".
"Mike" is the best coach in the district.  
Public Service Announcement.... you and "Mike" should worry about getting you graduated from the 3rd grade at John M. Sumbo.  WTF is wrong with you?
I don’t know about WPRG I seen a sheet two years ago they gave out to advertisers it was 700 or 750. I know my cousin owns a buisness near Pikeville and both Jamey and d and d has been by there in last year I was interested and I ask her what they charge. she said she thinks d and d was 100 but had to higher packages but basically was 100 a game I think Jamey was only like 300 that’s cheap compared to the 750 2 years ago. They are all valuable but I know them all enough to have conversations with them. They are not rich in any means, WPRG worst work truck is nicer then Jamey’s car. People will regret it when both them companies stop covering sports if you had a kid you’d understand what they mean to the kids. My Mom watches my kids on television I guess she’s a free loader you speak of. So is my handicapped uncle.
(02-24-2024, 05:40 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2024, 04:30 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think iit is the board I seen Jamey post that and Darryl posted in support of Anna Shepherd. So reading between lines it was a Ricky Thacker decision. Hope everyone that goes filmss this game and show them we have the power. I will not go in support of Jamey and d and d if I watch I will on a parents phone. WPRG is  really bad commentary, they have pushed the small man out, I promise Adam Gearheart don’t care about the kids, or our County he like Ricky Thacker sends there kids to Pike County. Ricky deserves to be fired if he don’t allow them to film for a low price. I for one  Hope Keathley brings his kid to play for Mike I think he his original from here
#Bobcat4Life

Can you blame Adam for doing what was best for his kids?  The Floyd County School System is in horrible shape.  Pikeville Independent Schools are far superior.  I don't blame Adam one bit.  My question is do Floyd County Schools care about the kids?
And borrowing a quote from Westy, you know Adam could buy the next 3 generations of your basketball offspring if he wanted, right?
(02-25-2024, 12:43 AM)Ring'Em Up Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2024, 05:40 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]
#Bobcat4Life

And borrowing a quote from Westy, you know Adam could buy the next 3 generations of your basketball offspring if he wanted, right?

Without a doubt he could.
Adam could because he rips all our families off, his services are horrible, My moms internet went 3 weeks without working onc and they still charger her praying on a woman on fixed income. I rally like WMDJ but never have like what Adam Gearhart stands for.. He ask my family to advertise but her internet at her buisness never works, but what can you do when he the only provider? ?‍♂️
(02-25-2024, 01:24 AM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]Adam could because he rips all our families off, his services are horrible, My moms internet went 3 weeks without working onc and they still charger her praying on a woman on fixed income. I rally like WMDJ but never have like what Adam Gearhart stands for.. He ask my family to advertise but her internet at her buisness never works, but what can you do when he the only provider? ?‍♂️

You use their internet to make a post complaining about their services.
I use At&T but do have to use them not by choice. Bobcats looked good against Jackson City, Floyd Central will go down and we’ll beat Lawrence in the Championship. Carter and Tanner looked well today #Bobcat4Life
(02-24-2024, 11:20 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2024, 11:14 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]

These guys aren’t making Chevy High Country money  by any means I know that but they also ain’t doing it out of the kindness of their heart. I know some sponsors that pay for screen time and it ain’t cheap to get their ads ran on these programs.

No, just like the coaches don't do it for free and the schools don't do it without charging admission and selling concessions.
They provide a service for the community and the advertisers pay to have their commercials and logos on there because they feel there is value to their business by doing that. No one holds a gun to a sponsors head and demands the money.

I can only speak to what things are like over here in Perry County, but they have a list of advertisers and everyone pays ~$400/month to be in the sports rotation (high school and UK sports). Say you get 12 sponsors, that's 4800/month but we'll just round up to $5k. The sales agent who makes their living off of ad sales and such will get a cut for their salary. That's $1000 accounted for and we have $4000 profit. Let's pay for two audio/video guys and two broadcasters per game. Let's say they get $50 each for $200/game total. We'll just do district tournament. For boys and girls that's 6 games and you're down another $1200 and you are at $2800 profit. KHSAA fees - provided you let them link to your stream on NFHS - are $60/game. You're down $360 there to $2440 profit. The $3000 fee would put you in the red. $1500 takes you down to $940 and then you still have to pay rights to UK-IMG to air UK games and you still have region where KHSAA is going to charge $100/game instead of $60 like they do at district plus pay your workers.

So when radio stations say, "We won't pay the fee, we'll just do radio," it's really because many of them will be losing money to do it.
Now, take into account the other months of the season where you aren't paying KHSAA fees and school fees (although there are schools like Letcher Central and Perry who charge outlets a fee per game) and you make some money each month, you may be able to recoup some of what you are spending in the postseason there.

Like I said, I can only speak to how things work over in my neck of the woods. Now, if you think there are more sponsors or they can pay more money, get me a list of em and we'll make this thing work lol. I'm not in sales. I have a day job and commentate a handful of games each month because I enjoy doing it and think I'm pretty good at it (at least that's what my mom thinks). But there's nobody getting rich doing this. We've got a handful of people doing it and being compensated (pretty poorly) for their time, but I think that's fair.
(02-24-2024, 02:52 PM)15thRegionScoop Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2024, 12:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is what Junior Newsome, Floyd County board member wrote on his personal Facebook and Jamey Johnson commented on that post.

He said “no cheerleaders or players have to pay to get in these games” lol

They never have and why should they ever have to? That was pointless.

Someone posted on Facebook they "heard" cheerleaders would have to get in the district tournament at the Fieldhouse. Guess he was just trying to clear that up.
do any of you all really believe these media companies are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and not because they make money????
It's obviously all about the money. There can be no games without the players. They are the one's putting their bodies on the line. Maybe they should refuse to play without being compensated. I am pretty sure technically they couldn't do that, but they could refuse to play. Maybe that would get the attention of the powers that be
I also think its laughable to suggest Jamey Johnson would do anything like "drop bombs" in some sort of revenge scheme that some on here have alluded to. He stated facts and nothing more. Jamey's character means a lot to him and he's earned the reputation as a good man, who puts a lot of work and time into promoting the kids of Floyd County, and the mountains in general. He is a lot like another great mountain broadcaster, the late Big Dipper. Like Dipper, Jamey does it out of love for the kids, game and broadcasting in general.
Frontier Behavioral Health just sponsored every student in Floyd county to be admitted free to the district tournament games.
That is really neat thing by Frontier Health, congratulations to them for being great people but I hate to feel this way but just more money for Ricky Thacker. If it was out administration I would feel the same way . So now that means he don’t have to charge the cheerleaders
(02-25-2024, 05:34 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]That is really neat thing by Frontier Health, congratulations to them for being great people but I hate to feel this way but just more money for Ricky Thacker. If it was out administration I would feel the same way . So now that means he don’t have to charge the cheerleaders

He wasn't going to charge them anyway. Junior Newsome put a post out on Facebook that wasn't true about charging cheerleaders to get in the Fieldhouse. Having said that, that's a very generous thing Frontier Health did.
WMDJ just posted on Facebook that you could listen and watch the 58th district tournament through them.  So, did they pay the fee?
(02-25-2024, 09:13 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]WMDJ just posted on Facebook that you could listen and watch the 58th district tournament through them.  So, did they pay the fee?
The blackmail worked.
Pages: 1 2 3