Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Looking ahead: Class 2A 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Class 2A
West
1- Caldwell County, Crittenden County, Mayfield, Murray
2- Edmonson County, Fort Campbell, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central
3- Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County
4- Fort Knox, Lexington Christian, Shawnee, Washington County, WEB DuBois
East
5- Beechwood, Bracken County, Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Walton-Verona
6- Breathitt County, Danville, Leslie County, Somerset
7- Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
8- Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Pike County Central, Shelby Valley

Is this Mayfields year? Who is the top teams in 2A?
I say the usual 3. LCA returns their qb and got some transfers. Mayfield returns just about everybody from last season. Beechwood well it’s Beechwood, so they will contend regardless.
(02-17-2023, 07:32 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Class 2A
West
1- Caldwell County, Crittenden County, Mayfield, Murray
2- Edmonson County, Fort Campbell, Owensboro Catholic, Todd County Central
3- Clinton County, Green County, Metcalfe County, Monroe County
4- Fort Knox, Lexington Christian, Shawnee, Washington County, WEB DuBois
East
5- Beechwood, Bracken County, Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County, Walton-Verona
6- Breathitt County, Danville, Leslie County, Somerset
7- Floyd Central, Knott County Central, Martin County, Prestonsburg
8- Betsy Layne, East Ridge, Pike County Central, Shelby Valley

Is this Mayfields year? Who is the top teams in 2A?
Mayfield, Owensboro Cath, Lex Christian, Beechwood- Beechwood and Lex Christian will have a RC in every district game, Wow!
They will not be ready for a post season run this year but look for a big improvement from last season for Somerset. 

Clevenger will have them where they need to be, it may take a couple of seasons.
(02-24-2023, 09:25 AM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]They will not be ready for a post season run this year but look for a big improvement from last season for Somerset. 

Clevenger will have them where they need to be, it may take a couple of seasons.
Yep the moment I saw they hired him I knew that he'd turn the program around. He was getting kids that should've been playing at Boyle during his time at Danville.

(Vancleave, Harris, Dampier, Ray and a bunch more.) Thru 2015-2017 Danville was a force. 

Pulaski County has a deep talent pool, I see him taking full advantage of that and kids will want to play for him.
Beechwood will open the season at Archbishop McNicholas in Cincinnati it was announced yesterday.
Outside of Beechwood, the East is down for now. I do expect Somerset to be competitive in the next few years as other posters have pointed out. In my opinion, 3 out of the final 4 spots will be occupied by Beechwood, LCA, and Mayfield for the foreseeable future, so it really comes down to that last spot. I could see that changing every year.
How does Beechwood change with the retirement of The HC?
(02-24-2023, 04:29 PM)Buffs19 Wrote: [ -> ]Outside of Beechwood, the East is down for now.  I do expect Somerset to be competitive in the next few years as other posters have pointed out.  In my opinion, 3 out of the final 4 spots will be occupied by Beechwood, LCA, and Mayfield for the foreseeable future, so it really comes down to that last spot.  I could see that changing every year.

Somerset always seems to go through cycles. 2009-2013ish they were always at the top of 3A or 2A then fell off for a few years. Then they went on their run from 2018-2020 and now have been on another down cycle. As soon as Clevenger gets settled in and they get another crop of talent come through they'll be back.
(02-24-2023, 03:17 PM)Irwin20 Wrote: [ -> ]Beechwood will open the season at Archbishop McNicholas in Cincinnati it was announced yesterday.

hmm that’s funny I’m a Beechwood grad I haven’t heard that. I can’t find it anywhere. 
(03-01-2023, 01:01 AM)Sportsfan4646 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2023, 03:17 PM)Irwin20 Wrote: [ -> ]Beechwood will open the season at Archbishop McNicholas in Cincinnati it was announced yesterday.

hmm that’s funny I’m a Beechwood grad I haven’t heard that. I can’t find it anywhere. 
You wouldn’t happen to know Sophia Rosing would you. Was she a peach in high school?
(03-01-2023, 01:35 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2023, 01:01 AM)Sportsfan4646 Wrote: [ -> ]

You wouldn’t happen to know Sophia Rosing would you. Was she a peach in high school?

no I have no clue who she is. She probably graduated in the early 2000’s. 
I have a good friend on the McNick staff. They had been looking for a week 1 game since Indian Hill bailed on them. You are right I having seen anything official anywhere. Perhaps the coaching change has put things on hold?
Don’t know the name. My kids went there 2011 thru 2017
(03-06-2023, 01:20 PM)Irwin20 Wrote: [ -> ]
I have a good friend on the McNick staff. They had been looking for a week 1 game since Indian Hill bailed on them. You are right I having seen anything official anywhere. Perhaps the coaching change has put things on hold?

I doubt Beechwood plays any out of state teams with how messed up the RPI is. 
(03-07-2023, 12:52 AM)Sportsfan4646 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2023, 01:20 PM)Irwin20 Wrote: [ -> ]

I doubt Beechwood plays any out of state teams with how messed up the RPI is. 
McNick played Highlands two years ago so it’s not unheard of.
I was told this weekend that Mayfield has lost 3 starters that have left the program to other schools. Does that now move them out as the favorite?

Besides the big 3 (LCA, Mayfield, Beechwood) does anyone else make noise in 2A?
(03-22-2023, 06:59 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]I was told this weekend that Mayfield has lost 3 starters that have left the program to other schools.  Does that now move them out as the favorite?

Besides the big 3 (LCA, Mayfield, Beechwood)  does anyone else make noise in 2A?
Who is it, and what starters would want to leave Mayfield to play somewhere else?
https://twitter.com/BeechwoodA/status/16...92/photo/1

Beechwood 2023 Schedule. It’s on Beechwood’s Twitter page now. @McNick 3rd week.
Breathitt will be much improved next year. They return the vast majority of the team. The only major loss is at QB which I felt held them back at times this year. If they can get a good transfer in at QB they could make some noise. Not saying they will compete with the Big 3 but with the power running game they have coming back in Combs and Gibson plus that big O line that returns 4 starters they should be able to move the ball on anyone. Defense should be much improved as well as they return 8 or 9 starters on D as well.
(04-03-2023, 11:31 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt will be much improved next year. They return the vast majority of the team. The only major loss is at QB which I felt held them back at times this year. If they can get a good transfer in at QB they could make some noise. Not saying they will compete with the Big 3 but with the power running game they have coming back in Combs and Gibson plus that big O line that returns 4 starters they should be able to move the ball on anyone. Defense should be much improved as well as they return 8 or 9 starters on D as well.
Wolfcat, do you have the new schedule? I heard Breathitt added Belfry, Johnson Central, and Prestonsburg.
(04-04-2023, 10:00 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2023, 11:31 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt will be much improved next year. They return the vast majority of the team. The only major loss is at QB which I felt held them back at times this year. If they can get a good transfer in at QB they could make some noise. Not saying they will compete with the Big 3 but with the power running game they have coming back in Combs and Gibson plus that big O line that returns 4 starters they should be able to move the ball on anyone. Defense should be much improved as well as they return 8 or 9 starters on D as well.
Wolfcat, do you have the new schedule? I heard Breathitt added Belfry, Johnson Central, and Prestonsburg.

I just saw Breathitt Schedule on twitter:

Belfry (Home)
Perry Central (Away)
Lewis County (Home)
Johnson Central (Away)
Hazard (Away)
Letcher Central (Home)
Somerset (Home)
Leslie County (Home)
Danville (Away)
Prestonsburg (Away)
(04-04-2023, 02:13 PM)KySportsfan74 Wrote: [ -> ]

Belfry (Home)
Perry Central (Away)
Lewis County (Home)
Johnson Central (Away)
Hazard (Away)
Letcher Central (Home)
Somerset (Home)
Leslie County (Home)
Danville (Away)
Prestonsburg (Away)

It looks like Moore is beefing up the schedule! It can only make the young Bobcats better prepared for a playoff run. 
Belfry at home is going to be a big challenge for the Bobcats, but if they pull off the W it would be sweet.

Especially the first game of the season
(04-04-2023, 02:25 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2023, 02:13 PM)KySportsfan74 Wrote: [ -> ]

Belfry (Home)
Perry Central (Away)
Lewis County (Home)
Johnson Central (Away)
Hazard (Away)
Letcher Central (Home)
Somerset (Home)
Leslie County (Home)
Danville (Away)
Prestonsburg (Away)

It looks like Moore is beefing up the schedule! It can only make the young Bobcats better prepared for a playoff run. 
Love the schedule. Now we just need a good QB
(04-05-2023, 08:38 PM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]Love the schedule. Now we just need a good QB
Won't Bryant be returning?
The big three are Beechwood, LCA and Mayfield but this RPI system can leave the door wide open for someone to sneak in that shouldn't be there. I mean, it is possible that LCA and Mayfield could meet in the quarterfinals, and the winner draw Beechwood in the semi-finals. If that happens, Breathitt, Owensboro Cath and Somerset could sneak in. I'll throw out another team that could surprise people, Shelby Valley. Danville has to prove to me they can win, not sold on the coaching hire after watching him at Berea and seeing his record at Station.
I am hearing that a lot of great student- athletes are joining a already very good LCA team.
As long as elite kids want to be at LCA, the road Kroger Field and 2A will start there. Beechwood will still be elite but you cannot discount what Coach Rash meant to the program.
LCA has had tons of talent the last 10+ years, yet they have not won a title in 2A and are almost 14 separated from their only title in 1A, post 6 class split. No doubt they are always a great team and have the talent to win most years, but they don't do it, so yeah, not going to crown them as kings of 2A. Beechwood will still be there, Mayfield will still be there, and other competitors will rise and fall over time.
Pages: 1 2 3