Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Looking ahead: Class 2A 2023
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Anybody heard anything about how Betsy Layne is looking for this year?
Bump
One team returning a lot that may be ready to take that next step with tons of playmakers back is Owensboro Catholic.
(06-21-2023, 08:14 AM)Nations Elite Wrote: [ -> ]One team returning a lot that may be ready to take that next step with tons of playmakers back is Owensboro Catholic.
Their QB in my opinion is as good as most in the state in my opinion, and I’m including the LCA QB. At last years LCA vs Mayfield game, one of LCA’s coaches told me that the OC QB outplayed their QB the week prior, yep he did say that, not hearsay!
(04-04-2023, 02:13 PM)KySportsfan74 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-04-2023, 10:00 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2023, 11:31 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt will be much improved next year. They return the vast majority of the team. The only major loss is at QB which I felt held them back at times this year. If they can get a good transfer in at QB they could make some noise. Not saying they will compete with the Big 3 but with the power running game they have coming back in Combs and Gibson plus that big O line that returns 4 starters they should be able to move the ball on anyone. Defense should be much improved as well as they return 8 or 9 starters on D as well.
Wolfcat, do you have the new schedule? I heard Breathitt added Belfry, Johnson Central, and Prestonsburg.

I just saw Breathitt Schedule on twitter:

Belfry (Home)
Perry Central (Away)
Lewis County (Home)
Johnson Central (Away)
Hazard (Away)
Letcher Central (Home)
Somerset (Home)
Leslie County (Home)
Danville (Away)
Prestonsburg (Away)

Dang, that is a tough schedule. Props to them.
Breathitt has the pieces to take the #4 spot among the “Big 3”…and honestly, if the Bobcats host a semi-final game in the appropriate weather conditions, they’ll perhaps have a slugger’s chance, depending on the opponent. ?
Breathitt 3-4 TDs from sniffing the top of 2A
(07-06-2023, 06:45 PM)Gitback Coach Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt has the pieces to take the #4 spot among the “Big 3”…and honestly, if the Bobcats host a semi-final game in the appropriate weather conditions, they’ll perhaps have a slugger’s chance, depending on the opponent. ?

The weather is going to need to blow in some more transfers for Breathitt to be anywhere near the top in 2A.
(07-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2023, 06:45 PM)Gitback Coach Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt has the pieces to take the #4 spot among the “Big 3”…and honestly, if the Bobcats host a semi-final game in the appropriate weather conditions, they’ll perhaps have a slugger’s chance, depending on the opponent. ?

The weather is going to need to blow in some more transfers for Breathitt to be anywhere near the top in 2A.
I think they only need one piece and that a solid QB. They have lots of skill players and depth. If they can find a quarterback I think they have a chance of beating anyone in 2A
Really excited with Owen county seeing their practices they look like they got some speed in the off-season that new rb can flat fly
I was impressed with Somersets QB. He had a tuff task of throwing against a Boyle defense that wasn’t giving up much but I liked what I saw. Buy your Somerset stock now.
(04-27-2023, 10:49 AM)Panther88 Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody heard anything about how Betsy Layne is looking for this year?
not hearing many positives from the friends i have there
Breathitt County needs a lot of help. They are not in the discussion. They could sneak into a regional finals or so. The last time they were supposed to be for real, it showed when they played the level of top tier at War Memorial. Transfers are not the answer. The system needs changing.

Beechwood lost too much and I’m sure that had a lot to do with why Rash retired. They will still be a force but, won’t make it back to the big dance this year.

LCA should make the finals this year to face Mayfield. As far as talk of starters leaving Mayfield, haven’t heard it and hear that we are going to be light years ahead of where we were last year at this time. And finally we have huge linemen coming up. The son of one of the coaches (who played line for Ole Miss) is a freshman. He is 6’2” and I have been told he isn’t the biggest of the freshmen linemen.
(07-15-2023, 01:42 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt County needs a lot of help. They are not in the discussion. They could sneak into a regional finals or so. The last time they were supposed to be for real, it showed when they played the level of top tier at War Memorial. Transfers are not the answer. The system needs changing.

You about to be badly fooled my friend!!! Breathitt is really good!!! They have not had this much talent in long long time!!!! There is a reason for tough scheduling I promise!!! The QB is big question but talent and depth is best I have seen since 2002. This year defense is stacked!!! People will realize how good they are pretty quickly out gate!!! I promise 
(07-06-2023, 05:25 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2023, 08:14 AM)Nations Elite Wrote: [ -> ]One team returning a lot that may be ready to take that next step with tons of playmakers back is Owensboro Catholic.
Their QB in my opinion is as good as most in the state in my opinion, and I’m including the LCA QB. At last years LCA vs Mayfield game, one of LCA’s coaches told me that the OC QB outplayed their QB the week prior, yep he did say that, not hearsay!
Mayfields qb out played cutter boley and MHS got the win Zane Cartwright out played him in the semi finals!!!!
Heard LCA looked good in there 7x7 this past week. But I still think Mayfield is setup nicely in 2A for 2023 with a potential to bring home the main prize. I can't rule out Beechwood because they do use toilet paper up there on Thursdays......LOL.
(07-15-2023, 01:42 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt County needs a lot of help. They are not in the discussion. They could sneak into a regional finals or so. The last time they were supposed to be for real, it showed when they played the level of top tier at War Memorial. Transfers are not the answer. The system needs changing.

#55 Breathitt has never played at War Memorial
My top three are:
#1 Mayfield - If they can keep the RPI advantage, they will be a tough out at home. I think LCA learned that last year. It was a back-and-forth game until just before the half and Mayfield jumped on a few key mistakes. Overall they have proven from last year to be the best team going into this year with what they have returning.
#2 LCA - They have to negotiate the toughest first 5 games of anyone in 2a. If they can make it without a loss, and that is a big if, could they still be overtaken in the RPI due to their very weak new district? The addition of Hensley from Madison Central really gives them a one-two bunch. It's going to make it very hard for teams to empty the box to defend Boyley. If you have not watched film on Hensley, google him. He is a dynamic player.
#3 Beechwood - Beechwood is Beechwood. I would never rule them out. They have had a lot of changes but their culture will have them in the hunt. They can take a loss or maybe two early on and still be home through the semis, giving them some time to build chemistry.

Sleeper team - Owensboro Catholic - I have seen them improve over the last 3 to 4 years. They have the pieces but the problem is they have to get through the West.
My bad, I was thinking of Green Co instead of Breathitt. But, they are one of the teams that were hyped up a year or two ago that we watched. They had a lot of fundamental issues with the style they played. I forgot they didn’t make it as far as Green though.
(07-18-2023, 06:47 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]My bad, I was thinking of Green Co instead of Breathitt. But, they are one of the teams that were hyped up a year or two ago that we watched. They had a lot of fundamental issues with the style they played. I forgot they didn’t make it as far as Green though.

They played Somerset a few years ago when Somerset went on to win the title and I feel like they were pretty hyped that season as well. I was at that game and I think Somerset was surprised at first that they didn't just immediately steamroll over Breathitt and found themselves down a couple scores early. From what I remember though, Somerset settled down after getting punched in the mouth and went on something like a 40-10 run to close out the game. Breathitt had the Collins kid who was one of the best players on the field, but didn't have the horses in any other position to play with that Somerset team.
(07-16-2023, 01:13 PM)barnabus_c2001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2023, 05:25 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]
Mayfields qb out played cutter boley and MHS got the win Zane Cartwright out played him in the semi finals!!!!
I agree Zane had a good game

Beechwood lost too much and I’m sure that had a lot to do with why Rash retired. They will still be a force but, won’t make it back to the big dance this year.

LCA should make the finals this year to face Mayfield. As far as talk of starters leaving Mayfield, haven’t heard it and hear that we are going to be light years ahead of where we were last year at this time. And finally we have huge linemen coming up. The son of one of the coaches (who played line for Ole Miss) is a freshman. He is 6’2” and I have been told he isn’t the biggest of the freshmen linemen.
This will be the best team Breathitt has fielded in over a decade. Just watch
(07-18-2023, 09:01 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-18-2023, 06:47 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]My bad, I was thinking of Green Co instead of Breathitt. But, they are one of the teams that were hyped up a year or two ago that we watched. They had a lot of fundamental issues with the style they played. I forgot they didn’t make it as far as Green though.

They played Somerset a few years ago when Somerset went on to win the title and I feel like they were pretty hyped that season as well. I was at that game and I think Somerset was surprised at first that they didn't just immediately steamroll over Breathitt and found themselves down a couple scores early. From what I remember though, Somerset settled down after getting punched in the mouth and went on something like a 40-10 run to close out the game. Breathitt had the Collins kid who was one of the best players on the field, but didn't have the horses in any other position to play with that Somerset team.
Breathitt county’s 1st and 2nd string QB both had injuries that should’ve held them out of that game but they still competed with the eventual state champions in a season where actual all considered it a rebuild year.
Simple adjustments will determine who wins the Class 2A State Championship this year.

In all seriousness, Mayfield is the favorite in my eyes. LCA has Boley obviously and their offense will put up points on anybody, but overall, I believe that the Cardinals have the more well-rounded team in all three phases of the game. They have some losses at wide receiver to replace but with two freshmen and a junior among their top seven receivers, they should be okay there -- and they are super deep at quarterback and running back.
(07-30-2023, 07:26 PM)KColley Wrote: [ -> ]Simple adjustments will determine who wins the Class 2A State Championship this year.

In all seriousness, Mayfield is the favorite in my eyes. LCA has Boley obviously and their offense will put up points on anybody, but overall, I believe that the Cardinals have the more well-rounded team in all three phases of the game. They have some losses at wide receiver to replace but with two freshmen and a junior among their top seven receivers, they should be okay there -- and they are super deep at quarterback and running back.
I’m positive that the 3 time defending state champion beechwood tigers will have something to say about that!!!!! Rash or no Rash ,beechwood is beechwood and will always be in the conversation!!! Until someone knocks them off the throne beechwood is tops in 2A
(07-30-2023, 07:45 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-30-2023, 07:26 PM)KColley Wrote: [ -> ]Simple adjustments will determine who wins the Class 2A State Championship this year.

I’m positive that the 3 time defending state champion beechwood tigers will have something to say about that!!!!! Rash or no Rash ,beechwood is beechwood and will always be in the conversation!!! Until someone knocks them off the throne beechwood is tops in 2A

Don't mean to slight them. They'll certainly be in the conversation as always. Top two QBs back will certainly put them there. Naturally, however, it's tough with a coaching change. Not to mention Beechwood lost its top three receivers and six defensive backs who combined for 17 of the 23 interceptions that they had last year.

Then, to add on to that, the coach that is replacing Rash -- while he did coach at the OHSAA Division II level in Ohio and also has impressive coaching credentials as the DC at Moeller -- is 3-16 as a head coach so far in his career.

Now, that's not to say that Jay Volker won't pull a Kevin Wallace and just tear it up at Beechwood. He very well could do that. But eventually, dynasties do come to an end at some point and the above numbers aren't favorable.

Speaking of numbers, their overall depth, in terms of players out, are down this year as well, which is to be expected. With 42 guys listed on their roster, that's still a very solid 2A roster count. But when you compare that to 62 boys for LCA and 72 for Mayfield, it's just going to be difficult to compete against teams like that who can keep bringing guys at you.

They have a very well-respected program and should be in the hunt in 2A for a long time to come. However, a championship this year would indicate a great coaching job by Volker. If they do win their fourth straight, I'll eat my crow with a side of BBQ sauce, but I just don't see it.
Like I said beechwood is beechwood and until someone knocks them off the throne they are the kings of 2A ….. period
(07-30-2023, 09:57 PM)Deuce8 Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said beechwood is beechwood and until someone knocks them off the throne they are the kings of 2A ….. period

And like I said, I think Mayfield is the favorite this year as last year is history at this point. We can agree to disagree; I certainly understand your logic and it is reasonable as is mine. That's the beauty of what the USA was founded on!
Beechwood
LCA
Mayfield
Owensboro Catholic
Top 4 in 2A …
Rash always got everything from his players. He was an amazing coach. It's also ingrained in Beechwood's culture, so I don't expect that to change.

I do think the number of players on a roster at 2a is critical, late in the season. You will always have a few critical injuries. It's football. The question though is how many players in those big rosters can fill the gap.

Also, on a 2a team, teams that can play kids on one side of the ball do tend to have an advantage. As long as there is not a talent drop. It just depends on how talented and deep those rosters are.
Pages: 1 2 3