Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley County Hires Matt Rhymer As New football Coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-27-2023, 11:15 AM)jamesdeane Wrote: [ -> ]That was quick. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=621392466658971&set=a.474770124654540

That's what I figured.
Politics at work, feel bad for the previous coach.
Worst decision ever there.
Wow that was quick! makes you think that was already decided months ago..
Gave up 36 points a game as the dc this past year and got hired as head coach? Man I wish whitley didn’t drop to 4a.
Congratulations!!
(01-27-2023, 12:18 PM)waughdaddy59 Wrote: [ -> ]Worst decision ever there.

What makes it the worst decision ever?
(02-01-2023, 07:55 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations!!

Thanks, My friend. I hope you're doing ok  I've been thinking about you.
I'd heard of Rhymer. Did he used to coach at South Laurel?
Before he went to Cumberlands?
(02-03-2023, 03:38 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know if it's the worst decision ever but Rhymer will be gone in a couple of years, like the coaches before him. I don't know what's up at Whitley. They have good facilities, good financial backing and  everyone leaves !!
(02-05-2023, 08:13 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-03-2023, 03:38 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know if it's the worst decision ever but Rhymer will be gone in a couple of years, like the coaches before him. I don't know what's up at Whitley. They have good facilities, good financial backing and  everyone leaves !!

I fully agree with you, and it's extremely frustrating for a life long fan and alumni, but a coach that had some success coaching a college probably ain't the worst ever.
Whitley won't get out of their own way and let coaches coach.
(02-05-2023, 06:44 PM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]I'd heard of Rhymer.  Did he used to coach at South Laurel?

Yes. I think he coached there for one season, about 10 years ago. He also coached at Oneida,TN, and was on Cumberlands staff before that. He was at at Tennessee High School for a short time, and was defensive coordinator for Whitley County last season.
I'd like to see Coach Rhymer give the fans updates on what's happening with the team. Who is on his staff? I didn't even know he was on the staff last year until after they played a few games. Hopefully he will have full control and get support from the community.
Honestly, this is an impressive hire. If you get a guy who coached college for any length of time, and this guy was the HC at Cumberlands. Pretty sure he recruited a buddy of mine.
(02-08-2023, 08:28 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, this is an impressive hire. If you get a guy who coached college for any length of time, and this guy was the HC at Cumberlands. Pretty sure he recruited a buddy of mine.

If the political clique would stay out of everything, it wouldn't bother me one bit to hire a man like this. He has plenty experience at a young age. He played for University of the Cumberlans for 4 years before becoming an assistant there, and he was head coach for 8 years? He talks to kids about jesus. I think that's pretty impressive... I hopehe has full control of the program and stays for a while.
I think this a great hire! I think he is a good godly man. He was successful at UC. I hope he does great there. Who knows, he might be the next Phillip Haywood.
(02-07-2023, 11:51 AM)Waitaminute Wrote: [ -> ]Whitley won't get out of their own way and let coaches coach.

The whole story in this will determine if this will work or not and I suspect we will know quickly. If the old coach was forced out for politics by this coach I imagine the new coach will struggle with the kids. I'll be the first to admit that's a HUGE IF, but the optics of it aren't good.  I mean who would want to play for a coach that helped force out one of his former players to get the job?
(02-09-2023, 02:51 AM)watcher Wrote: [ -> ]I think this a great hire!  I think he is a good godly man.  He was successful at UC.  I hope he does great there.  Who knows, he might be the next Phillip Haywood.

I’m pretty certain Rhymer while at University of the Cumberland held Bart Elams offense at Union College to a 98-0 final score. Elams offense goose egg against Rhymers defense. Now head coach at Whitley against Bart Elam at Corbin. Some say Rhymer has Elam’s number and I don’t mean phone either. The Colonels just don’t have the horses to run with the Hounds.
(02-09-2023, 01:48 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2023, 02:51 AM)watcher Wrote: [ -> ]I think this a great hire!  I think he is a good godly man.  He was successful at UC.  I hope he does great there.  Who knows, he might be the next Phillip Haywood.

I’m pretty certain Rhymer while at University of the Cumberland held Bart Elams offense at Union College to a 98-0 final score. Elams offense goose egg against Rhymers defense. Now head coach at Whitley against Bart Elam at Corbin. Some say Rhymer has Elam’s number and I don’t mean phone either. The Colonels just don’t have the horses to run with the Hounds.

Bart was only at Union for 1 single season when they had came off of several bad years in a row. I wouldn't read anything in to that year.
(02-07-2023, 12:20 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-05-2023, 06:44 PM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]I'd heard of Rhymer.  Did he used to coach at South Laurel?

Yes. I think he coached there for one season, about 10 years ago. He also coached at Oneida,TN, and was on Cumberlands staff before that. He was at at Tennessee High School for a short time, and was defensive coordinator for Whitley County last season.
I thought I remembered a Rhymer leaving S. Laurel to coach down there.  Thanks for helping assure me that my old memory isn't completely shot Dougie.
(02-09-2023, 02:19 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2023, 01:48 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote: [ -> ]

Bart was only at Union for 1 single season when they had came off of several bad years in a row. I wouldn't read anything in to that year.

I’m not knocking Elam at all I’m a fan. I was trying to give Rhymer a good word on here as he’s a good coach. Elam coached at Pineville for 13 seasons and had a 63-82 record during his tenure as Head Coach of the Mountain Lions. The Union College stent was very different 0-11 and lost all five home games and six away games. Immediately to Corbin next season and for three seasons he’s 8-2, 12-1, 14-1 (34-4) but as the Offensive Coordinator not Head Coach. If Whitley leaves Rhymer alone for three years he’ll have the program competing on a much higher level than past four years and in my opinion Elam replaces Greer next season at the Head Coach of the Hounds. Elam kept Pineville relevant during the days Bell County was getting it done every year.
Why isn't Rhymer still at UC?
(02-08-2023, 11:56 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2023, 08:28 PM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, this is an impressive hire. If you get a guy who coached college for any length of time, and this guy was the HC at Cumberlands. Pretty sure he recruited a buddy of mine.

If the political clique would stay out of everything, it wouldn't bother me one bit to hire a man like this. He has plenty experience at a young age. He played for University of the Cumberlans for 4 years before becoming an assistant there, and he was head coach for 8 years? He talks to kids about jesus. I think that's pretty impressive... I hopehe has full control of the program and stays for a while.
They may not but sounds like if they leave him alone he will at least make better men and players. If Whitley started seeing success they might not lose their better kids to Corbin, etc.. Coaches like that need to be held onto and given under the table money or a very good A.D. job, etc..
(02-09-2023, 07:02 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote: [ -> ]Why isn't Rhymer still at UC?

I don't know. Maybe he will answer
who on the coaching staff
(02-15-2023, 10:09 PM)hchs fan Wrote: [ -> ]who on the coaching staff

I wish I knew Smile
Hopefully Matt will stay at this job longer than he did at his previous coaching job (about six weeks).
(02-03-2023, 03:39 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2023, 07:55 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations!!

Thanks, My friend. I hope you're doing ok  I've been thinking about you.

I tried some new chili mix PJ. Wild West Chili Mix. You have to try it. Appreciate you friend. I was down for a few weeks for sure.
Pages: 1 2