Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Did your team do as well as expected in 2022?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This isn't just about a team that was able to win a championship, this is for all the teams and the type of year they may have had. Your team may have won the title and you most definately can talk about that as well. Teams that competed above your expectations in your opinion this year from the start to the finish of the season. Let's hear some of the teams you are looking forward to seeing the improvement even more for 2023.
I watched plenty of football this year. I was impressed overall with the year that Leslie County had. I go back to the game against Clay County, I knew in that game that they had improved and the rest of there season, I think they did a very good job of continuing there success.

I also was impressed with Harlan. I thought Harlan pulled off some big wins and this is one of the teams that Leslie County beat as well. But Harlan backed up there year with that big win again in the playoffs against Sayre. So this is the type of stuff I am talking about. I think these two teams had very good year. IMO.
I would say my team, Breathitt Co, did about what was expected of them. They won their district and made it to region finals where they lost a close game on the road for the region title. They were very young this year that got better each week. If not for 33 penalties and some questionable calls they would have won the region title. I expect them to be much improved over next couple years as they have some stud freshmen and sophomores coming up especially if they can address the one weakness they have for next season which is QB.

Can they compete with Beechwood, Mayfield and LCA? Only time will tell but the future looks bright in my opinion.
To me 2024 is the year to watch out for Breathitt as they should field their best team since the glory days.
(12-10-2022, 11:24 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]I would say my team, Breathitt Co, did about what was expected of them. They won their district and made it to region finals where they lost a close game on the road for the region title. They were very young this year that got better each week. If not for 33 penalties and some questionable calls they would have won the region title. I expect them to be much improved over next couple years as they have some stud freshmen and sophomores coming up especially if they can address the one weakness they have for next season which is QB.

Can they compete with Beechwood, Mayfield and LCA? Only time will tell but the future looks bright in my opinion.
To me 2024 is the year to watch out for Breathitt as they should field their best team since the glory days.

Man, now that’s what I’m talking about! Thanks for posting! I remember Breathitt being a dreaded game!!
Middlesboro had a solid 7-4 year. Would have been 8-4 if Knott would not have dropped district play. Middlesboro battled injuries and a couple of players having to sit out games for several reasons. Lost to a very good Hazard team on the road early in a competitive game. Which we thought would be an uphill battle replacing 10 senior starters off the Semi Finalist team- and they had the Johnson kid at RB.

Went to Williamsburg and lost a heartbreaker by one - we had the ball going in to score and had a fumble ruled against us.

Played pretty solid the rest of the year. We went to Breathitt for a district championship game without Cayden Grigsby (QB/Db) due to concussion protocol and were in a 14-0 battle late in the fourth but just could not find a way to score. Lost 20-0. Then went on to the second round and battled a very good Shelby Valley team on the road to a one score loss in the rain.

Not the results we wanted but was another solid year given the injuries and absences. The best news is we have almost every contributor coming back for next year.

Vincent Smith and Jack Yoakum were nice surprises in the backfield this year.
Grigsby was as solid as ever 1500 yds passing 1000+ rushing. Absolute baller.
Kam Wilson returns. Very very nice WR I think will get some nice offers.
Many many more as well as most of the line back on both sides that improved each week. (Bowling, King,Hatfield, Coffey and Harold I think?) all return (several nice WR’s also in Bayless, Sheehan (so?) #3 Foster) - all very talented. Nice freshman class this year that can contribute also. Looking forward to 2023 and interested to see what the schedule looks like and what district we fall into in 1A! Go Jackets.
Raceland went as far as a team can go before running into the juggernaut of Pikeville. Although we didn’t win a title this was still a great year. We played a good game with Ft Thomas Highlands on the road and finished with a school record 13 win season. Coming into the season winning a championship was the goal but it wasn’t meant to be and the season was a success none the less.
Casey County went 8-4 and won their first district championship in the school’s 50 year history of playing football. Stonebraker was named district coach of the year and QB Ethan won district player of the year.

This season’s results by far exceeded any expectations I had. My hope was for us to go to the playoffs for the first time since 2019. We knew we had several good players, but I didn’t know if it would all come together, but it did. When we opened the season against Rockcastle Co and played so poorly, I thought this season was not gonna be good at all. In fact, about all enthusiasm for the season was lost. That quickly changed the next week and we seen the potential this team had. Maybe the most impressive stat recorded this season was the OLine only gave up 6 sacks in 278 passing attempts in 12 games. They may have been the best unit we’ve ever had at Casey.
(12-10-2022, 02:08 PM)Rip/Spin Wrote: [ -> ]Casey County went 8-4 and won their first district championship in the school’s 50 year history of playing football.  Stonebraker was named district coach of the year and QB Ethan won district player of the year. 

This season’s results by far exceeded any expectations I had.  My hope was for us to go to the playoffs for the first time since 2019.  We knew we had several good players, but I didn’t know if it would all come together, but it did.  When we opened the season against Rockcastle Co and played so poorly, I thought this season was not gonna be good at all.  In fact, about all enthusiasm for the season was lost.  That quickly changed the next week and we seen the potential this team had.  Maybe the most impressive stat recorded this season was the OLine only gave up 6 sacks in 278 passing attempts in 12 games.  They may have been the best unit we’ve ever had at Casey.

I like the trench wars! Very impressive!
CORBIN...Wow! What do I say?

I expected a winning regular season with maybe 1 loss( possibly Pikeville or Franklin). The team met and even exceeded my expectations in the regular season and were a lot of fun to watch. In the postseason, I expected two easy wins and two wins in competitive wins. That's what happened. The JC and FC games were two of the best I've seen in a long time. I expected that we would meet Boyle in the finals with a team that was very capable of winning the title but would not because Greer be unable to win the battle of wits with Haddix. That's what happened. So, overall, the season played out almost exactly the way I thought it would. Forty years and counting...
I wanna give a shout out to two area schools for having great seasons. Ashland started the season out by taking a few tough losses due to the youth on their team. It didn’t take Tacket long to right the ship. With the off-season transfers and new young talent he had a lot to deal with and the Tomcats finished the season with a strong playoff run. Greenup was another team that had a great season this year. The Musketeers don’t have the success very often like they had this year. Hopefully Greenup hires the right man for the job and he can build off this year’s success.
Boyle County of course they won the 4A state championship making it 3 in a row and I’m looking forward to Coach Haddix and the Rebels making it 4 in a row next year.
(12-10-2022, 01:04 PM)MHSJacketsFan Wrote: [ -> ]Middlesboro had a solid 7-4 year. Would have been 8-4 if Knott would not have dropped district play. Middlesboro battled injuries and a couple of players having to sit out games for several reasons. Lost to a very good Hazard team on the road early in a competitive game. Which we thought  would be an uphill battle replacing 10 senior starters off the Semi Finalist team- and they had the Johnson kid at RB.

Went to Williamsburg and lost a heartbreaker by one - we had the ball going in to score and had a fumble ruled against us.

Played pretty solid the rest of the year. We went to Breathitt for a district championship game without Cayden Grigsby (QB/Db) due to concussion protocol and were in a 14-0 battle late in the fourth but just could not find a way to score. Lost 20-0. Then went on to the second round and battled a very good Shelby Valley team on the road to a one score loss in the rain.

Not the results we wanted but was another solid year given the injuries and absences.  The best news is we have almost every contributor coming back for next year.

Vincent Smith and Jack Yoakum were nice surprises in the backfield this year.
Grigsby was as solid as ever 1500 yds passing 1000+ rushing. Absolute baller.
Kam Wilson returns. Very very nice WR I think will get some nice offers.
Many many more as well as most of the line back on both sides that improved each week. (Bowling, King,Hatfield, Coffey and Harold I think?) all return (several nice WR’s also in Bayless, Sheehan (so?) #3 Foster) - all very talented. Nice freshman class this year that can contribute also. Looking forward to 2023 and interested to see what the schedule looks like and what district we fall into in 1A!  Go Jackets.
I would have loved to have saw Middlesboro with Grigsby play Breathitt. That would have been a classic.
Think it would have been a dandy game to watch!!! Corbin had another season for the ages. Had every opportunity to be state champions. Boyle had another solid Boyle year. And Raceland as RamDad said did about everything they could. They had a nice ball club. Not many people can do much with Coach Mac and Pikeville right now.

Ready for August already!
(12-10-2022, 04:27 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]CORBIN...Wow! What do I say?

I expected a winning regular season with maybe 1 loss( possibly Pikeville or Franklin). The team met and even exceeded my expectations in the regular season and were a lot of fun to watch. In the postseason, I expected two easy wins and two wins in competitive wins. That's what happened. The JC and FC games were two of the best I've seen in a long time.  I expected that we would meet Boyle in the finals with a team that was very capable of winning the title but would not because Greer  be unable to win the battle of wits with Haddix. That's what happened. So, overall, the season played out almost exactly the way I thought it would.  Forty years and counting...
I was totally impressed with Corbin in 2022. As I broke down the film in the final game, I took my time and as you watch each play, I can see why this team had the season it did. These kids are well deserving. I'm going to miss our seniors. So proud of them!
(12-10-2022, 04:29 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]I wanna give a shout out to two area schools for having great seasons. Ashland started the season out by taking a few tough losses due to the youth on their team. It didn’t take Tacket long to right the ship. With the off-season transfers and new young talent he had a lot to deal with and the Tomcats finished the season with a strong playoff run. Greenup was another team that had a great season this year. The Musketeers don’t have the success very often like they had this year. Hopefully Greenup hires the right man for the job and he can build off this year’s success.

I agree! I thought Ashland coaches and team did a very good job!
(12-10-2022, 04:41 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: [ -> ]Boyle County of course they won the 4A state championship making it 3 in a row and I’m looking forward to Coach Haddix and the Rebels making it 4 in a row next year.

Jack, that in itself is just unreal to think about for any team. I would say that is one Christmas gift checked off the list for this year.
I was impressed with Harlan in my neck of the woods. I thought Clay was much improved as well.
(12-10-2022, 06:57 PM)runthepill Wrote: [ -> ]I was impressed with Harlan in my neck of the woods. I thought Clay was much improved as well.

I agree!! Clay may have had the best season in a while. Harlan as well!
Betsy Layne finished the year with a 5-6 record. The teams they beat had a combined record of 10-39. The teams they lost to had a combined record of 40-30. That is a bit misleading as one of the losses came to Floyd Central who was one of the better 1 win teams in the state, IMO. The Bobcats also had a shot at beating an 8-3 Prestonsburg team on the last play of the game on the road. Overall, I think in many ways the Bobcats over achieved last season. They lost a lot from the previous season's 8-3 team including quarterback Chase Mims who is now playing at UPIKE. The Bobcats did have the second leading rusher in all of 1A in Reece Music who set the school record in rushing. He finished the year with 1,935 yards and 23 TDs on 177 carries. Jarredd Jarrell and his staff are the first in school history to have an overall winning record after at least 1 season. Overall they are 13-9 after 2 seasons.
(12-10-2022, 06:42 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2022, 04:41 PM)Jack Lambert Wrote: [ -> ]Boyle County of course they won the 4A state championship making it 3 in a row and I’m looking forward to Coach Haddix and the Rebels making it 4 in a row next year.

Jack, that in itself is just unreal to think about for any team. I would say that is one Christmas gift checked off the list for this year.

Yes Sir!!!
Better than I could have imagined. Bullitt East had an outstanding QB and some skill guys that have been playing together for a long time. They've shown flashes before but never the discipline to do enough of the small things to take the program to another level. Before the season started I thought they would probably win 8-9 games and maybe give Male all they wanted in their district battle. With a hope of making it to the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs if all progressed like I hoped. There were high expectations for sure but I didn't honestly think they could capture the 6A state title.
(12-10-2022, 10:20 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]Better than I could have imagined.  Bullitt East had an outstanding QB and some skill guys that have been playing together for a long time.  They've shown flashes before but never the discipline to do enough of the small things to take the program to another level.  Before the season started I thought they would probably win 8-9 games and maybe give Male all they wanted in their district battle.  With a hope of making it to the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs if all progressed like I hoped.  There were high expectations for sure but I didn't honestly think they could capture the 6A state title.

Mighty glad they did. They were well deserving of that title. 

Note: Bull( I mean, Nostrabullit)  had BE as his darkhorse all along.
(12-10-2022, 10:42 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2022, 10:20 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]Better than I could have imagined.  Bullitt East had an outstanding QB and some skill guys that have been playing together for a long time.  They've shown flashes before but never the discipline to do enough of the small things to take the program to another level.  Before the season started I thought they would probably win 8-9 games and maybe give Male all they wanted in their district battle.  With a hope of making it to the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs if all progressed like I hoped.  There were high expectations for sure but I didn't honestly think they could capture the 6A state title.

Glad they did also.  Bull had some inside info.......
Boyle Did better than I expected with all the losses they got from last years state championship but if anything Boyle got better at several positions and did not take a single step back
(12-10-2022, 11:05 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]

I sure did! I know the man who knows the man! I’m just happy it worked out! After watching the coach when that 2 point conversion was successful to win the game, I couldn’t help but shed a few tears of joy watching this first year coach in his reaction to what had happened!! Priceless!! That’s what dreams are made of!
Danville’s season was a comedy of errors the plot of which continues to thicken with Luhman hiring his buddy who otherwise never would have been considered for the job.
(12-11-2022, 11:01 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2022, 11:05 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]

I sure did! I know the man who knows the man! I’m just happy it worked out! After watching the coach when that 2 point conversion was successful to win the game, I couldn’t help but shed a few tears of joy watching this first year coach in his reaction to what had happened!! Priceless!! That’s what dreams are made of!

You and me both buddy !!!
Mayfield actually exceeded my expectations.
kinda disappointing foe my Paintsville Tigers. Goddamighty we had talent but never understood why we didnt give the ball to that talent
Danville's season was a mess but they made it as far as I expected them to. I knew the district was down so I figured they would go 2-1 in district with a decisive loss to LCA. The sister district switch for the playoffs made it to where they had an easy first round opponent and then I gave them a good chance to win their round 2 game. At that point I thought they'd tap out and they did to Metcalfe, although it was a respectable effort that came close to getting the Ads into the final four.

What was the big disappointment was how undisciplined the team was throughout the season and how many penalties they racked up. It seemed like Peach just wanted out of there a few games into the season.

No idea what to expect next year with the coaching change. Numbers could be really down and some are speculating that Danville may be lucky to field anything close to a competitive program. I hope that's not the case.
Pages: 1 2