Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville Vs Raceland (KHSAA 1A State Championship)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
The Rams came out tight against Hazard and played tight all night. They never seemed to get into a groove until Hazard took the lead. When that happened we dropped the hammer and marched down the field without any problems and played like we should’ve the whole game. Raceland even started the game last night a little tight. When we connected on a pass over the middle that went for a big gain our kids bony language changed and we started playing free and loose. I said all of that to say this…..Raceland has to find a way to start the game playing loose and fast. If not we will look up and it will be 21-0 real quick.
Raceland just needs to show up and play football. You don’t make it to the state finals with a 13-1 record if you aren’t good. I know a lot of you are saying offense is our main area of weakness and I get what you are saying when we get into a rhythm our offense can be very potent . That being said, this Pikeville defense will be the best one we’ve seen since the Highlands game. We just need to show up and play poised and do what has worked all year. Win or lose, I am proud of this team for making it to the finals and having a special season. Good luck boys and get that ring!
(11-26-2022, 12:11 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]Raceland just needs to show up and play football.  You don’t make it to the state finals with a 13-1 record if you aren’t good.  I know a lot of you are saying offense is our main area of weakness and I get what you are saying when we get into a rhythm our offense can be very potent .  That being said, this Pikeville defense will be the best one we’ve seen since the Highlands game.  We just need to show up and play poised and do what has worked all year.  Win or lose, I am proud of this team for making it to the finals and having a special season.  Good luck boys and get that ring!
I have to agree with this but I believe these 2 teams are by far the best in the class and this will be a war and who ever makes the least mistakes wins. In mistakes I don’t actually mean turnovers but missed assignments or missed tackles could seal the deal for the other team. I want Pikeville to win and hope they do but I could see this game going either way but it’s definitely going to be a great game if both teams play up to their standards
Really the only question you gotta ask yourself is IS Pikeville 35 points worse then they were last year? Is Raceland 35 points better? Also Pikeville has experience at Kroger Field. Gonna be a fun one.
(11-26-2022, 12:44 PM)Hambley Wrote: [ -> ]Really the only question you gotta ask yourself is IS Pikeville 35 points worse then they were last year? Is Raceland 35 points better? Also Pikeville has experience at Kroger Field. Gonna be a fun one.

The addition of Webb from Symmes Valley and Lykins from Russell has made Raceland significantly better.  Webb has made a huge impact on the defense.  That along with the fact the Rams graduated no one of significance from last season’s team tells me they’re far better than last season.

From the sounds of it on here, Pikeville may not be at full strength.  That could spell doom for the Panthers.
Not that it matters but Hazard was clearly 3rd. To Racelands defense they did get Hazard at full strength while pikeville did not. Smith went down in the first or second series against pikeville and they had a couple more starters already out before the game. Not saying it would have made a difference because pikeville is obviously way too good. I do see them winning Friday without too much resistance, but I would be shocked if they put a running clock on the Rams.
(11-26-2022, 12:44 PM)Hambley Wrote: [ -> ]Really the only question you gotta ask yourself is IS Pikeville 35 points worse then they were last year? Is Raceland 35 points better? Also Pikeville has experience at Kroger Field. Gonna be a fun one.
I think everyone knows how good Pikeville is and what they bring to the table.  Raceland is much better than they were last year and I can’t see is getting a running clock put on us again.I think Pikeville will be the favorite based on past history between the teams and the Panther’s experience in title games. Raceland also remembers the sting from getting stomped last season at Hambley and I think they will come out and fight hard and if Pikeville wins they will have to earn it.  Either way I look forward to taking the trip to Kroger and watching a good weekend of football!
I want to say thank you to both teams players and staffs. Football in KY as a whole is really pretty bad. I really wish they would go back to 4 classes or at least go with 5. But that’s for another discussion. I just want to say what a joy it has been watching this years Rams. Not just on the field, but off the field. I’ve never seen a group like this. They are so close with each other. But most of all, they give back. The JFL kids see them as super heroes and each and every Hs player goes out of their way to set the example. I’m sure it is the same in Pikeville. You don’t accomplish all they have without that type of culture. Only problem I have is JP going into the hanger this week. Figured he would be dropping bombs lol
Would love to see the Rams take this, RRR
Was hoping all year that Raceland had closed the gap, but I watched their game against Highlands and I watched them last night and I just don't think they've gotten there. Hoping for a good game but I think Pikeville takes it by at least 2 scores.
I will say this Pikeville / Raceland rivalry is a healthy one. I have met a few folks from Raceland that I now call friends. Two really good teams meeting up in a championship game and I can’t wait to watch this one.
My prediction in the preseason was that this was Raceland's year. I have watched both teams play online a few times and all I have to say is, boy was I wrong. Pikeville put another running clock on their opponent in this one.
Do either of these teams have any players going to play in college?

Raceland is 9 TDs better than last year! Everybody knows it, didn’t you get the memo?
(11-26-2022, 02:34 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly haven’t seen raceland except for highlights, have seen pikeville though. If racelands D is good enough to shut down the run, they could possibly win. But Pikes D isn’t a pushover. So even if you can shut down the panthers run, you still might have trouble scoring if offense is your weakness.

Honestly I think the weakness will be the physical level it takes to win a title. Pikeville has played some good teams, and knows what it takes to beat them, raceland might have it in them, but they haven’t played a team at that level.

Dang it Hound Corbin fans are very smart and savvy. That was August. You would hardly recognize December Pikeville
Raceland doesn’t have to be 35 points better than last year. Idk why that is the logic in order for them to win. 3 of those 5 scores graduated. So that would tell me Raceland only has to be able to stop Pikeville 2 or 3 times from a defensive standpoint. Offensively they are without question 3 scores better than they were last year. Put those two things together and you have a ball game.
My prediction
Pikeville Prep Sports Academy - 35
Raceland Public School - 20
Pikeville has been my pick all year long winning 1A give them a ballgame Raceland.

Pikeville 42
Raceland 14
(11-26-2022, 02:05 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]I want to say thank you to both teams players and staffs. Football in KY as a whole is really pretty bad. I really wish they would go back to 4 classes or at least go with 5. But that’s for another discussion. I just want to say what a joy it has been watching this years Rams. Not just on the field, but off the field. I’ve never seen a group like this. They are so close with each other. But most of all, they give back. The JFL kids see them as super heroes and each and every Hs player goes out of their way to set the example. I’m sure it is the same in Pikeville. You don’t accomplish all they have without that type of culture. Only problem I have is JP going into the hanger this week. Figured he would be dropping bombs lol

The Rams wouldn’t sniff a title in a 4 class system so keep it the way it is.

My prediction is this is the game of the weekend. Lundy has a good game and the Rams get their first ring.
Scotty I’m actually rooting for the Panthers. They have a great set up over there and who can blame kids and parents for wanting to be a part of Pikevilles culture. I was just ribbing Jet a little. Go Panthers
I’m all for it. Thing is, kids want to go where they can win. Parents want them to be happy and have an opportunity at the most opportunities and highest education possible. Imo, these two school’s embody that very ideology. Anyone saying otherwise is eating sour grapes. There was a woman from HC last night complaining that our facilities were nowhere near what a 1A schools facilities should be and in some way that added us to up cheating somehow lol. Said we looked like a 5A school. Guess 1A schools in EKY shouldn’t have nice things…
What Raceland has done is great. Schools, facilities, and a dedicated sports-minded community that are second to none in the area. The only rival at this point would be Ironton in Ohio. Both wear orange and black. Separated by only 5 miles. Ironically, both play for a state title Friday morning, Ironton at 10:30 and Raceland at noon. The only difference I see is that Raceland has an easier path to a state title game and Ironton seems to have more connections if players want to play at the next level. Depends on what you’re looking for, but those 2 have lapped the other football programs in the area. Those watching the off the field “arms race” as Ram-a-Devil called it will be watching the results of those 2 state title games as the results could influence some of the next generation of parents and players in our area.

I assume Pikeville has a similar “arms race” that they’ve been winning in their area for years.
I hope they both lose, lol
(11-26-2022, 04:41 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]I’m all for it. Thing is, kids want to go where they can win. Parents want them to be happy and have an opportunity at the most opportunities and highest education possible. Imo, these two school’s embody that very ideology. Anyone saying otherwise is eating sour grapes. There was a woman from HC last night complaining that our facilities were nowhere near what a 1A schools facilities should be and in some way that added us to up cheating somehow lol. Said we looked like a 5A school. Guess 1A schools in EKY shouldn’t have nice things…
Lol at someone from a private school in a major city complaining about another school having nice facilities.  I guess she was expecting us not to be able to afford cleats and play on a dirt field while the coaches sipped moonshine haha.
(11-26-2022, 05:26 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 04:41 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]I’m all for it. Thing is, kids want to go where they can win. Parents want them to be happy and have an opportunity at the most opportunities and highest education possible. Imo, these two school’s embody that very ideology. Anyone saying otherwise is eating sour grapes. There was a woman from HC last night complaining that our facilities were nowhere near what a 1A schools facilities should be and in some way that added us to up cheating somehow lol. Said we looked like a 5A school. Guess 1A schools in EKY shouldn’t have nice things…
Lol at someone from a private school in a major city complaining about another school having nice facilities.  I guess she was expecting us not to be able to afford cleats and play on a dirt field while the coaches sipped moonshine haha.

Raceland’s facilities would be shocking to an out-of-towner who doesn’t pass by on 23 every day.  They’ve done something right with their finances that other schools in the area other than Boyd haven’t figured out.
(11-26-2022, 05:33 PM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]

Raceland’s facilities would be shocking to an out-of-towner who doesn’t pass by on 23 every day.  They’ve done something right with their finances that other schools in the area other than Boyd haven’t figured out.
I agree with all of that.  I was simply referring to how people from other parts of the state have little respect for the culture of EKY and think we are all a bunch of dumb hillbillies that are all poor.
(11-26-2022, 05:40 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2022, 05:33 PM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with all of that.  I was simply referring to how people from other parts of the state have little respect for the culture of EKY and think we are all a bunch of dumb hillbillies that are all poor.
I lived just outside of Louisville for 11 years and worked about one or two miles outside of downtown Louisville for 7 years. Their attitude towards Eastern Kentucky was very negative when I was there. I heard a lot comments such as "You don't look like you're from Eastern Kentucky " or "You don't talk like you're from Eastern Kentucky." Someone even compared EKY to a third world country. 
It would have been worth the drive from Eastern North Carolina to stand Holy Cross' side to listen to what they would say about Raceland.
Back to this game, I believe Raceland has all of the tools to win this game but Pikeville has something that we have always lacked and that is the confidence to know that they are going to win. I don’t mean this as our kids and coaches not believing in themselves because they do but what I am talking about is a swagger that you carry with you all the time. We want to win but they see winning as an expectation. I can’t really put my finger on it but a team that has won a title will always have a layer of knowing they expect to win that can’t be explained. As I stated, Raceland has all of the tools to win but Pikeville has that “it” factor that gives them a mental edge that will make them harder to beat.
Rams need to play loose as well. When our offense is mixing things up, man we are fun to watch. This game could turn into a shootout with all the play makers on the field. Or it could turn into a slow paced dog fight bc both defenses are so damn stout.
(11-26-2022, 06:35 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]Rams need to play loose as well. When our offense is mixing things up, man we are fun to watch. This game could turn into a shootout with all the play makers on the field. Or it could turn into a slow paced dog fight bc both defenses are so damn stout.
Our special teams may break us as well.  We have had teams get momentum after a special teams blunder and we can’t afford that in this game.  The punt return from Noon from Highlands stands out as that started a 21 point hole that we couldn’t dig out of.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8