Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2022/2023 16th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(09-22-2022, 08:11 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Ashland
2. Boyd county
3. Rowan county
4. Elliott county
5. Fleming county
6.  Morgan county
7. Bath county
8.  Rowan county
9. West Carter
10. Wolfe county

Powell county, Greenup county & ????

Wolfe County and Powell County not in 16th region.
Top 10 in the Region
1. Ashland
2, Boyd
3. Bath
4. Rowan
5. Morgan
6. Fleming
7. Russell
8, Fairview
9. Raceland
10. Toss up for 10.

Top 10 players in the 16th Region. No particular order. Listening and reading a lot about some of these kids on twitter, scouting forums, summer ball and AAU. Some are projected to have great seasons. It will be a great year in the 16th. No dominate team out there. It will come down to who is playing well as a team with some of these match ups.

1. Otis
2, Griffith
3. Spurlock
4, Carter
5. Deboard
6. Wilburn
7. Ellis
8. Wilburn
9. Patrick
10. Day
1 Ashland Blazer
2 Boyd County
3 Bath County
4 Rowan County
5 Russell
(09-22-2022, 05:15 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]1 Ashland Blazer
2 Boyd County
3 Bath County
4 Rowan County
5 Russell
I think the Top 3 are/or would be about on everyone's list.  I do think 4 through 10 could be as open as it has ever been in the 16th region.
(09-23-2022, 10:30 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-22-2022, 05:15 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]1 Ashland Blazer
2 Boyd County
3 Bath County
4 Rowan County
5 Russell
I think the Top 3 are/or would be about on everyone's list.  I do think 4 through 10 could be as open as it has ever been in the 16th region.
I agree. It’s anyone’s guess how 4-10 would rank.
Word is Bath has some new players from north of the border.
The more I consider this upcoming season, the more I think the serious sleeper is Morgan County. They got the 3 best players from Elliott County and added them to the top 7 players on the existing Morgan County team who all returned. All 10 of these players will return for the next 2 seasons, too.

Collectively, the 2022-2023 Morgan County team returns an average of 93 points per game. They also have 4 shooters who shot over 37% from 3, 2 of which shot in the 40's.

Couple of things here to note...

1) Morgan County is still on the Elliott schedule for the upcoming year. Teams closer to the tri-state cry about their players even trying to be taken away. Elliott's manning up and playing Morgan this season when they took pretty much their entire starting lineup. Kudos to Elliott.

2) It's easy to be a Morgan County fan this season as schools like Ashland, Boyd, Raceland, and even Russell if they did it right have such an inherent recruiting advantage based on location alone. I'd love to see Morgan win the region the next 2 years and silence both of the parties in the Jason Mays call fiasco. I bet Dicky Martin would be crying about the transfers to Morgan County if it happened.
(09-24-2022, 11:07 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]The more I consider this upcoming season, the more I think the serious sleeper is Morgan County.  They got the 3 best players from Elliott County and added them to the top 7 players on the existing Morgan County team who all returned.  All 10 of these players will return for the next 2 seasons, too.

Collectively, the 2022-2023 Morgan County team returns an average of 93 points per game.  They also have 4 shooters who shot over 37% from 3, 2 of which shot in the 40's.

1) Morgan County is still on the Elliott schedule for the upcoming year.  Teams closer to the tri-state cry about their players even trying to be taken away.  Elliott's manning up and playing Morgan this season when they took pretty much their entire starting lineup.  Kudos to Elliott.

2) It's easy to be a Morgan County fan this season as schools like Ashland, Boyd, Raceland, and even Russell if they did it right have such an inherent recruiting advantage based on location alone.  I'd love to see Morgan win the region the next 2 years and silence both of the parties in the Jason Mays call fiasco.  I bet Dicky Martin would be crying about the transfers to Morgan County if it happened.
I agree, Morgan will be a tough out for anyone. Especially when it comes tournament time. The Elliot/Morgan transfers is more of a disagreement putting it lightly between coach Adkins and the Griffith’s.  That match up will be as heated as the one between Ashland and Boyd. 

Did you see Tomcats filed a report with OHSAA on Aris Pittman.  We can’t make this up!  Our administration has to go!
If that is really true, I agree with you 100%.  To file a complaint about a player leaving who went across the river to play for a better football program and who got an offer from UK within a week of being there is pretty low.  This would be buffoonery and lack of self-awareness of the Ashland administration on full display.
(09-24-2022, 11:19 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2022, 11:07 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]The more I consider this upcoming season, the more I think the serious sleeper is Morgan County.  They got the 3 best players from Elliott County and added them to the top 7 players on the existing Morgan County team who all returned.  All 10 of these players will return for the next 2 seasons, too.

Collectively, the 2022-2023 Morgan County team returns an average of 93 points per game.  They also have 4 shooters who shot over 37% from 3, 2 of which shot in the 40's.

1) Morgan County is still on the Elliott schedule for the upcoming year.  Teams closer to the tri-state cry about their players even trying to be taken away.  Elliott's manning up and playing Morgan this season when they took pretty much their entire starting lineup.  Kudos to Elliott.

2) It's easy to be a Morgan County fan this season as schools like Ashland, Boyd, Raceland, and even Russell if they did it right have such an inherent recruiting advantage based on location alone.  I'd love to see Morgan win the region the next 2 years and silence both of the parties in the Jason Mays call fiasco.  I bet Dicky Martin would be crying about the transfers to Morgan County if it happened.
I agree, Morgan will be a tough out for anyone. Especially when it comes tournament time. The Elliot/Morgan transfers is more of a disagreement putting it lightly between coach Adkins and the Griffith’s.  That match up will be as heated as the one between Ashland and Boyd. 

Did you see Tomcats filed a report with OHSAA on Aris Pittman.  We can’t make this up!  Our administration has to go!

Yes, him and Thacker both had to sit Friday. Unlike Rose Hill and Fairview though, I don't think anything will be done. 1. OHSAA was in dire straits when COVID hit and had serious money issues so they had to expand the playoffs to create a greater revenue stream. Because of the money issues, the wonder in Ohio is when a team recruits players, if any serious inquires will be done. 2. Ironton has big boosters themselves. Totally different animal than going after Fairview or Rose Hill who didn't have that same influence to protect against KHSAA. 3. Because of the first two factors, nothing will be done anyway.

I hate it for Pittman and Thacker. Both players have a chance to play college football somewhere, especially Pittman. He has really developed his body and put in the work. All Ashland is doing, when they do this petty stuff, is hurting the kids. I hope they both ball out. Thacker could probably play NAIA ball in the Mid-South Conference based on what I see, if he improves, and Pittman is a D-I caliber guy with his length, although I think he needs to be tried out at corner or safety as I think he could really be a player defensively with his length. He looks like he's around 6-1 or 6-2 which would be great size for a corner.
(09-24-2022, 12:50 PM)KColley Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-24-2022, 11:19 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, him and Thacker both had to sit Friday. Unlike Rose Hill and Fairview though, I don't think anything will be done. 1. OHSAA was in dire straits when COVID hit and had serious money issues so they had to expand the playoffs to create a greater revenue stream. Because of the money issues, the wonder in Ohio is when a team recruits players, if any serious inquires will be done. 2. Ironton has big boosters themselves. Totally different animal than going after Fairview or Rose Hill who didn't have that same influence to protect against KHSAA. 3. Because of the first two factors, nothing will be done anyway.

I hate it for Pittman and Thacker. Both players have a chance to play college football somewhere, especially Pittman. He has really developed his body and put in the work. All Ashland is doing, when they do this petty stuff, is hurting the kids. I hope they both ball out. Thacker could probably play NAIA ball in the Mid-South Conference based on what I see, if he improves, and Pittman is a D-I caliber guy with his length, although I think he needs to be tried out at corner or safety as I think he could really be a player defensively with his length. He looks like he's around 6-1 or 6-2 which would be great size for a corner.
I totally agree with you on this!  I hope they get to play and not ruin their season. I would like to say that I am in disbelief but this isn't our first rodeo for reporting other schools.  Now here we sit looking like the big hypocrites with Mays audio. I wish our administration would make sure our house is in order before we go trying to ruin kids in another state!!!  I am sure Dickey Martin will be calling out the kids old school at Morgan or any other school we play this year.  I am just glad he doesn't do to us.  Can you imagine, we only have a few kids from Ashland left on our team.  All you would hear is the Transfer from Boyd...Greenup...Bath....Huntington..etc.   We literally have no oversight here in our program.
Top 6 Players Class of 2023? Give me a list...

Morgan has been recruiting for years.  Their record over the past 20 years would be even more atrocious without all the foreign exchange kids, etc.

Previous model was:  convince these poor local people to lay in a basketball gym and spend money on tickets, camps, concessions…..then, when they got to HS run them off by being cruel and relentless with personal attacks.  At this point, insert foreign kids from the foreign exchange pipeline!
(10-25-2022, 10:01 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]

Morgan has been recruiting for years.  Their record over the past 20 years would be even more atrocious without all the foreign exchange kids, etc.

Previous model was:  convince these poor local people to lay in a basketball gym and spend money on tickets, camps, concessions…..then, when they got to HS run them off by being cruel and relentless with personal attacks.  At this point, insert foreign kids from the foreign exchange pipeline!
Now Bath has a kid confirmed that was recruited in by the new Bath Co. coach, with two more recruits coming in from up north supposed to report this week or next.  Coach Wright picking up right where he left off. I do know Flemming Coach has refused to play him. I am sure the Bath faithful really loved this hire and him bringing in 3 or 4 recruited kids. KHSAA is going to have to hammer these coaches or it will never stop. 
It works best when you have a whole network of support. Get the parent of a 5th grader to get a job as a foreign exchange student placement coordinator; then, you get a principal’s mom to provide free or low rent apartments for surrogates. Then, have bought and paid for board members bully and intimidate anyone who questions you or your toadies. Finally, control all the money; free use of school gyms and facilities to run your fat camps while you also incorporate the cafeteria staff to provide the food. So, parents look at it as cheap babysitting…..meanwhile you make more as the basketball czar than you do as a teacher and/or asst admin.

(10-26-2022, 10:24 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]It works best when you have a whole network of support.  Get the parent of a 5th grader to get a job as a foreign exchange student placement coordinator; then, you get a principal’s mom to provide free or low rent apartments for surrogates.  In exchange for this safety net guarantee said board members’ children or grandchildren aren’t made to come to school, are given A’s, and always make the cheer squad.  Then, have bought and paid for board members bully and intimidate anyone who questions you or your toadies.  Finally, control all the money; free use of school gyms and facilities to run your fat camps while you also incorporate the cafeteria staff to provide the food.  So, parents look at it as cheap babysitting…..meanwhile you make more as the basketball czar than you do as a teacher and/or asst admin.

(10-26-2022, 10:24 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]It works best when you have a whole network of support.  Get the parent of a 5th grader to get a job as a foreign exchange student placement coordinator; then, you get a principal’s mom to provide free or low rent apartments for surrogates.  In exchange for this safety net guarantee said board members’ children or grandchildren aren’t made to come to school, are given A’s, and always make the cheer squad.  Then, have bought and paid for board members bully and intimidate anyone who questions you or your toadies.  Finally, control all the money; free use of school gyms and facilities to run your fat camps while you also incorporate the cafeteria staff to provide the food.  So, parents look at it as cheap babysitting…..meanwhile you make more as the basketball czar than you do as a teacher and/or asst admin.

(10-26-2022, 10:50 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]Now Bath has a kid confirmed that was recruited in by the new Bath Co. coach, with two more recruits coming in from up north supposed to report this week or next.  Coach Wright picking up right where he left off. I do know Flemming Coach has refused to play him. I am sure the Bath faithful really loved this hire and him bringing in 3 or 4 recruited kids. KHSAA is going to have to hammer these coaches or it will never stop. 

If true, I am glad Bath has some players coming in to play with Otis.  It's good to see schools like Bath and Morgan in these remote locations be able to bring in some players to help compete with Ashland and Boyd County.
(10-29-2022, 10:33 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-26-2022, 10:50 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]Now Bath has a kid confirmed that was recruited in by the new Bath Co. coach, with two more recruits coming in from up north supposed to report this week or next.  Coach Wright picking up right where he left off. I do know Flemming Coach has refused to play him. I am sure the Bath faithful really loved this hire and him bringing in 3 or 4 recruited kids. KHSAA is going to have to hammer these coaches or it will never stop. 

If true, I am glad Bath has some players coming in to play with Otis.  It's good to see schools like Bath and Morgan in these remote locations be able to bring in some players to help compete with Ashland and Boyd County.
So you are glad coach at Bath recruiting kids? Bath kids that are there just get pushed aside? You advocate for that in the name of trying to win a high school basketball game?
That’s the sickness that people have now and the small petty desperation to win a HS ball game.
(10-30-2022, 06:42 PM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2022, 10:33 AM)16thregioner Wrote: [ -> ]

So you are glad coach at Bath recruiting kids? Bath kids that are there just get pushed aside? You advocate for that in the name of trying to win a high school basketball game?
Recruiting rules are dictated by the KHSAA.  Whether or not anyone that posts on thes message boards are pro or against is truly irrelevant.  Coaches should adhere to existing rules so all are on an even playing field.  When a coach steps outside what the KHSAA has set forth then serious punishments should be implemented.
I WISH it were the old days where players didn't transfer. It was more fun seeing school spirit and loyalty. Players playing for the name on front of the jersey rather than the name on the back. Those days ended over a decade ago, though, when Lebron made his decision and formed a super team in Miami. It became more acceptable for parents and kids to seek out a school where they could WIN rather than play for one where they might lose.

We in the 16th region have now devolved to a point where virtually NO team wins without transfers. That is the sad reality. Check out every fall team sport in our region just this year. EVERY winner is led by players from other schools, areas, or even states.

While most recruiting battles are waged within the same county, the schools in Boyd and Greenup stand at an advantage because 7 of the 16 schools in the region are in these 2 counties and because you can get to Ohio and West Virginia quickly from these 2 counties. Boyd and Ashland schools are at an even bigger advantage because they are in a district with Rose Hill and Fairview, both which were intentionally athletically decimated by Ashland via the KHSAA.

For these reasons, I find it particularly fun to see a Bath, Fleming, Elliott, Lewis, Menifee, Carter, or Morgan pop up and contend for the region in some sports sometimes. They are SEVERELY disadvantaged underdogs.
If the kids from Bath are eligible it takes them to a favorite. One kid 6’6 from Canada and another 6’6 from Texas. I’m sure just a coincidence they show up in Owingsville same time as Coach Wright.
(10-31-2022, 10:27 AM)TribeTime Wrote: [ -> ]If the kids from Bath are eligible it takes them to a favorite. One kid 6’6 from Canada and another 6’6 from Texas. I’m sure just a coincidence they show up in Owingsville same time as Coach Wright.
What if you are 6’6” and can’t dribble or shoot?  Are you still the favorite?  Height doesn’t win games.  Height + a basketball skill set does win games.  I’m sure there is a long line of players trying to come to Bath Co. from over 10 hours away.  Pretty brave move by Steve Wright to try and pull this off in year 1!
(11-04-2022, 11:17 PM)Appalachian Cat Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2022, 10:27 AM)TribeTime Wrote: [ -> ]If the kids from Bath are eligible it takes them to a favorite. One kid 6’6 from Canada and another 6’6 from Texas. I’m sure just a coincidence they show up in Owingsville same time as Coach Wright.
What if you are 6’6” and can’t dribble or shoot?  Are you still the favorite?  Height doesn’t win games.  Height + a basketball skill set does win games.  I’m sure there is a long line of players trying to come to Bath Co. from over 10 hours away.  Pretty brave move by Steve Wright to try and pull this off in year 1!

He's never seemed to worry about tearing down a program.  Ask Montgomery County if he was worth the reward.  No red flags being raised in Owingsville the last few seasons are there?  6'10" kid from the Congo, 6'7" kid from Baltimore, now 2 kids from Canada and Texas?  Be willing to bet that those kids do not have one family member living in the glamorous, bright lights of the big city of Owingsville with them.   Wink Big Grin
If the Bath kids are eligible, and have any shred of basketball ability, I agree they become the favorite. The Otis kid is a stud, put a couple 6'6" kids with him, then they are gonna be tough.

But......SHAAAAAAAADY lol.
Ashland or Bath?
(11-10-2022, 10:59 PM)TribeTime Wrote: [ -> ]Ashland or Bath?
Bath now has a 4 kid from out of state coming in since wrights hire! I’m sure they are legit. SMH. No place for guys like Mays or Wright in high school basketball.
(11-11-2022, 10:48 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]
Bath now has a 4 kid from out of state coming in since wrights hire! I’m sure they are legit. SMH. No place for guys like Mays or Wright in high school basketball.
Lol. Yeah. Mays is such a heavy recruiter. 4 transfers in his first 4 years of coaching. That’s really getting with it. Here’s the problem with you: You have a personal agenda against Mays, probably because you want him gone because his teams have won 4 straight regional banners. And the first banner was with zero transfers. An average of 1 transfer per year. I don’t know the statistics on it but I’d say that is about average for most teams in the state, girls and boys. Players are moving all over the regions throughout the state. 
You’ve lambasted Mays on here since you joined BGP in September. You didn’t like him before the phone call and you don’t like him afterwards. But that’s on you. If you are trying to say that he’s the only coach in the state that would have talked to the parent of an 8th grade player who called and was insinuating that he might transfer to their school you are badly mistaken. Something like 99% of all other coaches would have talked to that parent and answered his questions and told him about their school and program, and he was welcome at their school if that’s what he wanted. Do you honestly think the hundreds of kids transferring all around the state have not spoken with the coach or staff in advance of their transferring??? Mays made a mistake and he has apologized. He should have simply referred the dad to the principal and guidance office (which he did) and then said thanks for calling and goodbye. But he got drawn into a chitchat conversation of which he has apologized and I’m sure has learned from the episode. I think a probation period and acknowledgement that it will not happen again is sufficient. At most maybe a couple games suspension. But that’s not good enough for you. You want the max, completely suspended for the entire season or fired. Because it’s personal with you. Mays is in your way of watching someone else succeed and by grabs if he’s out of the way that’s no longer a problem. So you play the game of swallow a gnat and spit out a camel. You want this to be as big as Watergate and if it’s not you’re not going to be satisfied. 
Hopefully the KHSAA doesn’t react on personal dislikes and hatred. Hopefully they will use good judgement and handle it that way. Mays probably deserves some kind of sanction but nothing like what you would administer if you had the power. Thank goodness you don’t.
If you think a couple games suspension is what he should get, (from what I am hearing) you're not going to like what is about to happen.
(11-14-2022, 05:05 PM)Fanman Wrote: [ -> ]If you think a couple games suspension is what he should get, (from what I am hearing) you're not going to like what is about to happen.
I guess we’ll see. I don’t know and have no sources.
(11-14-2022, 04:50 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2022, 10:48 AM)16thregionballer Wrote: [ -> ]
Lol. Yeah. Mays is such a heavy recruiter. 4 transfers in his first 4 years of coaching. That’s really getting with it. Here’s the problem with you: You have a personal agenda against Mays, probably because you want him gone because his teams have won 4 straight regional banners. And the first banner was with zero transfers. An average of 1 transfer per year. I don’t know the statistics on it but I’d say that is about average for most teams in the state, girls and boys. Players are moving all over the regions throughout the state. 
You’ve lambasted Mays on here since you joined BGP in September. You didn’t like him before the phone call and you don’t like him afterwards. But that’s on you. If you are trying to say that he’s the only coach in the state that would have talked to the parent of an 8th grade player who called and was insinuating that he might transfer to their school you are badly mistaken. Something like 99% of all other coaches would have talked to that parent and answered his questions and told him about their school and program, and he was welcome at their school if that’s what he wanted. Do you honestly think the hundreds of kids transferring all around the state have not spoken with the coach or staff in advance of their transferring??? Mays made a mistake and he has apologized. He should have simply referred the dad to the principal and guidance office (which he did) and then said thanks for calling and goodbye. But he got drawn into a chitchat conversation of which he has apologized and I’m sure has learned from the episode. I think a probation period and acknowledgement that it will not happen again is sufficient. At most maybe a couple games suspension. But that’s not good enough for you. You want the max, completely suspended for the entire season or fired. Because it’s personal with you. Mays is in your way of watching someone else succeed and by grabs if he’s out of the way that’s no longer a problem. So you play the game of swallow a gnat and spit out a camel. You want this to be as big as Watergate and if it’s not you’re not going to be satisfied. 
Hopefully the KHSAA doesn’t react on personal dislikes and hatred. Hopefully they will use good judgement and handle it that way. Mays probably deserves some kind of sanction but nothing like what you would administer if you had the power. Thank goodness you don’t.
It doesn’t matter how much disinformation you put out. How many times you continue to lie about the entire situation. It is a recording. Mays recruiting. The recording takes personal preference out of it. He has recruited numerous kids. Obviously you are not around the program. Your head is in the sand. The khsaa letter the administration received from the khsaa spells it out with multiple violations by our beloved Mays. From what I have heard. He will be lucky to coach in ky again. Fines for sure. Possibly erasing wins and post season bans. Just keep your thoughts we’re they are at. You won’t know the difference anyway. Your head is in the clouds.
Pages: 1 2 3