Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry @ Johnson Central 10/26
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Both teams are 8-1 with competitive losses to a WV school. Belfry owns a big lead in the overall series, but only 6-5 since the renewal in 2007. In this series, the visiting team has more than held their own winning in 08,09,11,12, 13 and 16. Who ya go and why? Belfry has won the last 3 after JC had a 5/6 advantage and Belfry winning the first two in 2007 and 2008.
Should be a great game, i'm pulling for Belfry.
I think JC wins 42-28.
Going to be a good one but I am going with Belfry, just hope everyone stays healthy.
Patriot1 Wrote:Going to be a good one but I am going with Belfry, just hope everyone stays healthy.

Tough game to call. Belfry is nursing some significant injuries IMO, Haywood holds those kids back until playoffs. Interesting to see what happens. This game is more about pride than anything. A win or loss either way hasn’t had any bearing on either’s ultimate success/failure in the postseason. Being at JC should give the Eagles the initial edge. Belfry has struggled in stopping the run game. That could be problematic against a run heavy team like JC. Conversely, Belfry’s offense is very, vey good. Hard for me to imagine a better 3A O-Line than Belfry’s. Should be interesting.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Tough game to call. Belfry is nursing some significant injuries IMO, Haywood holds those kids back until playoffs. Interesting to see what happens. This game is more about pride than anything. A win or loss either way hasn’t had any bearing on either’s ultimate success/failure in the postseason. Being at JC should give the Eagles the initial edge. Belfry has struggled in stopping the run game. That could be problematic against a run heavy team like JC. Conversely, Belfry’s offense is very, vey good. Hard for me to imagine a better 3A O-Line than Belfry’s. Should be interesting.

Got to agree their offense line is really good and there is why I think Belfry wins. Give their backs a hole and they are dangerous. I think getting the other linebacker back helps but it will be a war. Turnovers in this game is the key I think. I don’t believe it will be a high scoring game either but I have been wrong before.
Beginning of the year I would have went with JC. But my how things have changed. JC hasn’t gotten worse in my opinion, but belfry has found an identity. They aren’t your traditional belfry team that will put running clocks on about everyone. But a dangerous team, that probably still has a sour taste from last year. That’s not someone you want to face. I’m going with belfry 32-21 in an all out ground and pound game that will probably go very fast.
I don’t know what it is about me and Belfry, I just like Belfry and my beer. Confusedhh: Confusedhh: Confusedhh:
64SUR Wrote:I don’t know what it is about me and Belfry, I just like Belfry and my beer. Confusedhh: Confusedhh: Confusedhh:

Well duh. I like anyone when I have beer!! Hahah. I’ve come to like belfry as well. There was one poster a couple years ago I absolutely HATED. But I’m sure we have a couple they hate too, probably me. I just love that “old mountain” football style they play. Always physical and they have some kids that can’t fly. If it wasn’t so far away I’d love to watch one of their potential matchups about 4 weeks away. But this week, I think they are suited best of defense to stop the run. I watched their LBs against whichever WV school it was, and they really impressed me. Their ability to shed blocks against that HUGE Oline was great. Very well coached. Their passing game I think could probably still use some work, but I don’t think this week it will matter much. Good luck to both either way.
Can't ❔ their their results and if you like good 🏈 you must like their program. Now that is not saying that you have to like how they got there and all that stuff but they do win and play really good football.
Johnson Central 42-21
64SUR Wrote:I don’t know what it is about me and Belfry, I just like Belfry and my beer. Confusedhh: Confusedhh: Confusedhh:

Hahaha! This is great!
Hound05 Wrote:Well duh. I like anyone when I have beer!! Hahah. I’ve come to like belfry as well. There was one poster a couple years ago I absolutely HATED. But I’m sure we have a couple they hate too, probably me. I just love that “old mountain” football style they play. Always physical and they have some kids that can’t fly. If it wasn’t so far away I’d love to watch one of their potential matchups about 4 weeks away. But this week, I think they are suited best of defense to stop the run. I watched their LBs against whichever WV school it was, and they really impressed me. Their ability to shed blocks against that HUGE Oline was great. Very well coached. Their passing game I think could probably still use some work, but I don’t think this week it will matter much. Good luck to both either way.

There's a couple in every fan base my friend. Just one of those things. And to be honest, there's a couple I don't care much for myself from Belfry! There's a few that are really good friends of mine that post on here though. All of us are not arrogant, snotty pricks believe it or not. But I've come to enjoy talking with some of you guys on here about football. Like yourself, 64, pjdoug (believe it or not, Lol), FoSho, Pulp, Granny, just to name a few but there's many more that I really enjoy talking to. Would love to meet some of you at the games and really talk some football. But there are some on here that absolutely gets on my damn nerves and are just on here to start arguments. Because you can tell from some of their posts that they no nothing about football. And Hound, if your ever down this way for a game, brother you let me know. Be a blast to get up with some of you guys from Corbin and talk a little smack and maybe a little football! Lol! I've always respected Corbin and have come to really enjoy following them and cheering them on here lately. First class program. You guys have something special going on down there.
#55PirateFan Wrote:There's a couple in every fan base my friend. Just one of those things. And to be honest, there's a couple I don't care much for myself from Belfry! There's a few that are really good friends of mine that post on here though. All of us are not arrogant, snotty pricks believe it or not. But I've come to enjoy talking with some of you guys on here about football. Like yourself, 64, pjdoug (believe it or not, Lol), FoSho, Pulp, Granny, just to name a few but there's many more that I really enjoy talking to. Would love to meet some of you at the games and really talk some football. But there are some on here that absolutely gets on my damn nerves and are just on here to start arguments. Because you can tell from some of their posts that they no nothing about football. And Hound, if your ever down this way for a game, brother you let me know. Be a blast to get up with some of you guys from Corbin and talk a little smack and maybe a little football! Lol! I've always respected Corbin and have come to really enjoy following them and cheering them on here lately. First class program. You guys have something special going on down there.

Will do! Remember what I told you if your bunch comes down this way in a couple weeks. Anything at all!
As for the game, I think this will be an old school, rough, knock down drag out, smash mouth football game. That's why this is always my favorite game of the year! These games are almost always like that. And I respect Johnson Central as much as I do any other program. Real classy. And I love me some Devin Johnson! Besides being a great football player, he's an even better young man and person. Got to meet him and his dad on a couple of recruiting trips that my son went on and they were there. Great people. I was really hurt and saddened when I heard the news about his dad. Heartbreaking! I think both teams will be running 95% of the time in this game with a few passes here and there. I really believe its going to come down to whichever defense can hold up the longest. Scoring isn't going to be an issue for either team. And it just may come down to whoever has the ball last to decide the outcome in this game. I look for a fairly high scoring game. But I do believe my Pirates go to Johnsonville this Friday night and pull out the win 42-35. But it could very easily be the other way around. Like I said, I believe it'll come down to whoever has the ball last. I'm just hoping and praying for a great, injury free, classy game for both sides. God knows neither of us can afford anymore injuries going into the playoffs. Pulp Fiction, I'd like to here your thoughts about this one. I think you're one of the best at posting recent history, matchups, and strength and weaknesses for both teams during the week before big games like this. What's your thoughts my friend?
Hound05 Wrote:Will do! Remember what I told you if your bunch comes down this way in a couple weeks. Anything at all!

I sure will my good friend. And me and my family really appreciate that. Keep an eye on my #55 for me if we make it that far and he comes that way.
Belfry’s LBs are suited for this kind of game

But the D Line... is not.
Pulling for Belfry here.. I think they can and will win if they limit turnovers.
I haven’t seen anything really about JC this year. I’m sure they have a big O-Line as usual, i do know Belfrys D-Line is smaller this year for the exception of one pretty good sized kid. JC runs the ball just like Belfry and both are darn good at it. Belfrys linebackers will have to play one heck of a game. My heart says Belfry but my mind says JC. I’m gonna go with the emotional pick this time and say Belfry in a down to the wire game that could be a shootout, because one thing remains, that’s belfrys backs can take it to the house every time they touch the ball. Dixon and Bentley both have blinding speed and with that very talented O-Line its a challenge for any team to stop them. I think if the pirates keep the ball off the turf, they win.

Belfry 38
JC 35
On paper, Johnson Central should be a solid favorite in this home game - but the visiting team and underdogs in this series have had pretty good success in the past. Overall, this is may be Johnson Central's most talented and experienced backfield ever. I don't think any team in the state is capable of shutting down JC's running game.

I predict a 1-2 touchdown win for the Golden Eagles this week over the Pirates, but since Jim Matney took over the program, this has become a difficult to predict rivalry game every season. No outcome would shock me.
The Belfry starters will get 4 quarters of work in and they need it before the playoffs.

I think this will be a close game and the winner wins by 7 or less.
Belfry by 3. Playoff type football from two top notch programs.
Going with Belfry in this one should be an all out knock down drag out
BelfryPride Wrote:The Belfry starters will get 4 quarters of work in and they need it before the playoffs.

I think this will be a close game and the winner wins by 7 or less.

Should be fairly tight either way. Gonna be a challenge for Belfry’s defense no doubt. I think JC gets the edge because they’re at home.
Not to change the subject to the thread but just wondering if anyone watched the Purdue and Ohio State game last night and what Rondel Moore did, it was fantastic.
Belfry28
JC 21
#55PirateFan Wrote:As for the game, I think this will be an old school, rough, knock down drag out, smash mouth football game. That's why this is always my favorite game of the year! These games are almost always like that. And I respect Johnson Central as much as I do any other program. Real classy. And I love me some Devin Johnson! Besides being a great football player, he's an even better young man and person. Got to meet him and his dad on a couple of recruiting trips that my son went on and they were there. Great people. I was really hurt and saddened when I heard the news about his dad. Heartbreaking! I think both teams will be running 95% of the time in this game with a few passes here and there. I really believe its going to come down to whichever defense can hold up the longest. Scoring isn't going to be an issue for either team. And it just may come down to whoever has the ball last to decide the outcome in this game. I look for a fairly high scoring game. But I do believe my Pirates go to Johnsonville this Friday night and pull out the win 42-35. But it could very easily be the other way around. Like I said, I believe it'll come down to whoever has the ball last. I'm just hoping and praying for a great, injury free, classy game for both sides. God knows neither of us can afford anymore injuries going into the playoffs. Pulp Fiction, I'd like to here your thoughts about this one. I think you're one of the best at posting recent history, matchups, and strength and weaknesses for both teams during the week before big games like this. What's your thoughts my friend?

That's class. I know the family appreciates the kind words.
This game should be a knock down drag out for 1 reason and 1 reason only it is Belfry and Jchs , the 2 toughest teams in the Mountains. Going with the gut on this one Jchs in a tight one. Good luck to both teams stay healthy and bring home 2 more State Titles. Go Mountain Teams!!
This one is going to be a slobberknock, the weak need not apply to this one. This game will be Eastern ky personified to hard nose teams with great coaches and excellent traditions going after it Friday night. They should start playing for an annual trophy every year because this game always is a dandy. I’ll take the Eagles in a tight one!

JC- 21
Belfry-16
JC vs. Belfry All-Time record; Belfry leads 29-5

1971: Belfry 59-6
1972: Belfry 54-6
1973: Belfry 14-0
1974: Belfry 38-0
1975: Belfry 47-8
1976: Belfry 14-13
1978: Belfry 24-14
1979: Belfry 40-0
1980: Belfry 28-6
1981: Belfry 28-0
1982: Belfry 26-0
1983: Belfry 12-0
1984: Belfry 35-6
1985: Belfry 28-14
1986: Belfry 45-18
1987: Belfry 41-6
1988: **Belfry (14-45)** Belfry had an ineligible player; JC is credited with the 1-0 win, but this doesn't count. Gotta win it on the field.
1989: Belfry 33-0
1990: Belfry 42-6
1995: Belfry 30-15
1996: Belfry 28-0
1997: Belfry 36-8
1998: Belfry 21-11
2007: Belfry 28-12
2008: Belfry 21-13
2009: Johnson Central 25-19
2010: Johnson Central 42-7
2011: Johnson Central 21-14
2012: Belfry 17-12
2013: Johnson Central 54-28
2014: Johnson Central 35-0
2015: Belfry 41-0
2016: Belfry 21-16 (Both teams won the 3A& 4A state championships.)
2017: Belfry 35-19
Pages: 1 2 3 4