Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville at Grundy (VA) 10/19
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Might as well start it. Who ya got? Pikeville coming off a good win injury free at a sloppy Phelps field (I say good win because despite the conditions, no injuries and they shut Phelps out).

Pikeville enters 5-2 with wins over Covington Holy Cross, Lexington Christian, Paintsville, Hazard, and Phelps and losses versus Belfry and Point Pleasant (WV) who is currently 6-0 and one of the top ranked 2A WV teams.

Grundy also enters 5-2 with losses to Ridgeview and Burton. I know next to nothing about VA football so I’m not sure how those losses look.
Panthers by 12
I look for this game to be a physical battle. Last year it got kind of chippy with a lot of personal foul penalties and say it won’t be no different this year. Look got this to be a close game but do see Pikeville winning
Ridge view is pretty good, not sure about JI Burton. Either way Golden Wave are not what they used to be in the 2000/90s
Real Badman Wrote:Ridge view is pretty good, not sure about JI Burton. Either way Golden Wave are not what they used to be in the 2000/90s
From what I can gather reading online, Burton is on a surprising uptick compared to recent history for them. As well, the newspaper article I read on the game indicated that Grundys QB (Endicott) got hurt vs Burton. Not sure about their depth, but I know they're obviously a run heavy team with decent size and the passing threat Endicott presented helped their run game. If he's out, not sure what to expect, as I've not seen any film on them at all.
Ridgeview is the top 2A team in SW Va - D. gives up under 7 ppg.
Burton shoulda been a win, but losing the QB at the end of the 3rd in a trading-scores game threw a ... well... wrench in the works.
I'd say K-cats by 3-4 scores if he's out, 1-2 if he starts.
We've had 2 road games after 2 @ home, so field should be in good shape.
VHSL-helper Wrote:Ridgeview is the top 2A team in SW Va - D. gives up under 7 ppg.
Burton shoulda been a win, but losing the QB at the end of the 3rd in a trading-scores game threw a ... well... wrench in the works.
I'd say K-cats by 3-4 scores if he's out, 1-2 if he starts.
We've had 2 road games after 2 @ home, so field should be in good shape.
Thank you for contributing! Always nice to have someone with insight into other states. Hopefully the QB is ok and nothing too serious. Always hate to see injuries no matter which team it is. I do remember from watching film last year, even late in the season, the grass still seemed to be really good there, even if a little brown (which is to be expected at that point in season honestly), so it seems to be a well maintained field. Looking forward to my first ever trip to a VA football field/game.
Plymal did a great job with it for years, considering it gets so little sun.

If you need to know anything, like eats or location, let me know. You'll be going right by my house. I'm used to the curves, and it takes me 45 minutes-ish to get to Hb Days, so I'd put the drive for a newbie at 1:10 from HS to HS.

We have a "3-story" WalMart downtown on the right that's actually on the top floor of a parking bldg., just like the community center/theater on the left.
Does Greg Rowe do anything with football anymore?
Pikeville 49
Grundy VA 17

:Cheerlead
I don't think Rowe is involved anymore, but haven't talked to anyone this season.
This game won't be close no matter who is playing for Grundy. They just aren't very good.

neutral field
[2018] Pikeville (KY) 42, [2018] Grundy (VA) 7

The teams Grundy beat are equivalent to Phelps, Middlesboro, Magoffin Co, Sheldon Clark and Fairview in KY. Ridgeview is a really good team they got blown out by, and Burton who just beat them is the equivalent of Frankfort or Shelby Valley in KY.

Pikeville called off the dogs early last year after going up 33-0 I believe, I see a similar result this year. I'll go with Pikeville 42, Grundy 13.
looks like some of y'all think we're using Ky. refs Fri night.
MaxPreps has Grundy ranked a little below Shelby Valley, a tad above Pike & Floyd Central
Tiger Blues is meeting me at Belcher's Market in Big Rock for a few brewskis and we are coming to the game to make sure the refs don't cheat.TongueirateSho
jetpilot Wrote:Tiger Blues is meeting me at Belcher's Market in Big Rock for a few brewskis and we are coming to the game to make sure the refs don't cheat.TongueirateSho
Probably why Floppy don’t get on here anymore. You keep drinking other peoples alcohol. Lol
PHSForever Wrote:Probably why Floppy don’t get on here anymore. You keep drinking other peoples alcohol. Lol

If they had a Floppy Mart on 460 we would be all over it!:truestory:
jetpilot Wrote:If they had a Floppy Mart on 460 we would be all over it!:truestory:

Hey jp, if there was a floppy mart on 460 there would be a humongous crate of gargantuan melons greeting everyone as they pulled up.Confusednicker:

Pikeville -38
Grundy - 12 Btw.
PHS DYNASTY Wrote:Hey jp, if there was a floppy mart on 460 there would be a humongous crate of gargantuan melons greeting everyone as they pulled up.Confusednicker:

Pikeville -38
Grundy - 12 Btw.

:hilarious::1:
but really, the Italian restaurant in Grundy is better than the Italian restaurant in Pikeville
Real Badman Wrote:but really, the Italian restaurant in Grundy is better than the Italian restaurant in Pikeville

How much better? The one in Pikeville is just ok IMO.
jetpilot Wrote:How much better? The one in Pikeville is just ok IMO.
Agreed.
And that depends on which one you mean, because we don't have one IN Grundy anymore.
Gino moved Italian Village a mile past the Vansant light to the shopping center in a food truck (trailer, actually) and has no seating. Just past the Vansant light is Morgan's (the old Rainbow), which I think was a "sister" to Alfredo's, which was named Best in Bristol a couple of years back. Both are great. Gino's salads are awesome, but Morgan's has more choices.
AND, at the far end of town, across the river at the light, is Peking. I LOVE their chicken, and they have shrimp & crab legs on Fridays. Good salad and dessert bars, too. Pep. pizza is avg. at best. I always get the buffet when I dine in.
What in the hell happened to Bellichinos(I think was what it was called)
Bellacinos is still there and still make a really good pizza.
First off, real classy of you VHSL-helper for coming on here and joining the discussion, especially keeping your cool with some of these sharks, lol, and giving your take on your team and places to eat. Your first class buddy. As far as the game, I'm going to have to bet against you in this one. Pikeville is one of, if not the best, team in 1A this year. Battle tested and loaded to the gills. I think it'll be kinda close for one quarter but that's it. Panther JV plays the second half. Not at all a knock on your team though. Pikeville is just that good. BUT, as I always say, anything can happen in high school football on a Friday night. Good luck my friend in this game and the rest of the season. For my score, I say 21-7 Pikeville at the end of the 1st Qtr. Final score, Pikeville 49 Grundy 14.
I've been around for years and get a kick out of the great banter.

As for Bellacino's - I don't consider that an Italian rest. for some weird reason, (guess I think of them as a pizza place) but I DO love to eat there; they make the BEST chicken alfredo pizza. And they changed owners last year... former Hurley head coach Greg Tester & his wife run it now. They have banners of all the county schools up, along with some big screen TVs
I too appreciate VHSL-helper's suggestions and advice for Panther fans. The closer we get to Friday, the more excited I get for this game. Grundy may be w/o their starting qb, but you know they remember last season getting beat rather handily at Hambley. Imo, they're going to give it all they got, and that's great, because that's just going to make a very competitive game. Just hope for an injury free game, and good luck to both teams. HAIL PIKEVILLE!!
Still going with my Panthers.

PIKEVILLE - 38
GRUNDY - 12
Pikeville should win this one easily.
Pages: 1 2