Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Proposal to End Spring Practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
8 AD's in Louisville have put a proposal to KHSAA to end Spring Practice.
Why?
Why not?
Spring Practice is a great time to re-engage kids and begin the process anew. Obviously, kids who play spring sports typically are not participating...but IMO it's an invaluable tool to begin laying the groundwork for the upcoming season.
Spring practice is the best thing for Kentucky football. If you cancel that they must cancel summer basketball and fall baseball.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Why not?

Because we have numerous college coaches coming in to watch our kids practice.

That's why.
If they cancel the ability to pad up I won’t be that mad- if they cancel the ability to be on the field I will be mad. Players should be able to be in helmets year round.
wow shocking news
hchs fan Wrote:wow shocking news

It's very shocking because the 8 AD's who proposed it tried to keep it a secret, several didn't tell their own coaches and one actually lied to his face when confronted about it.
wow
If they don't want to have spring practice, OK, don't! It should not be an all or none decision. I would encourage those AD's to go talk to the young men that actually put in the work and ask them. I can't speak for any other team but I KNOW what our boys would say and do because they are driven and have a passion. They would be on he field.
I am also interested and would love to know the schools that proposed that.
Waggener
Central
DeSales
Manual
Moore
Seneca
Valley
Trinity
I love spring practice. IMO, this would be a mistake canceling it. I agree with someone's post earlier, let it be up to the head coach. If you want to then fine, if you don't that'll be fine to. Just don't punish everyone because a few dont like it.
Than don't have spring practice those schools. Is it mandatory?
Iam4thecats Wrote:Waggener
Central
DeSales
Manual
Moore
Seneca
Valley
Trinity

Btw, thanks for letting me know.
Iam4thecats Wrote:It's very shocking because the 8 AD's who proposed it tried to keep it a secret, several didn't tell their own coaches and one actually lied to his face when confronted about it.

sounds like a bunch of sneaky politicians.
My son is a sophomore soon be junior. His passion and greatest joy is being with his team, being with his brothers. He runs his routes in off season with his sophomore QB for timing and to get better. He is driven and has his goals as many do. He loves spring practice because he loves not only the brotherhood but the work he puts in. I have watched our spring practice from my car since they are closed practices. They may have pads and helmet on but nobody gets tackled and hit like someone from an opposing team would. They get hit but all stay on their feet. Should not rid a kid of his drive and passion because 8 schools dont wanna do it!!
pjdoug Wrote:sounds like a bunch of sneaky politicians.

No matter their flavor, are there any other kinds of politicians?:biggrin:
:trolldad:

I enjoy going out and watching the kids popping pads in the spring. It would be a shame if this became policy.
And most kids do as well
papagrit Wrote:No matter their flavor, are there any other kinds of politicians?:biggrin:
:trolldad:

I enjoy going out and watching the kids popping pads in the spring. It would be a shame if this became policy.

sneaky snakes slithering through the grass.:yikes:
Pretty soon these butt holes will regulate when the kids can go pee.
While I think spring practice is a good thing, I don't think it's the all important thing that so many people have made it out to be. I think it should be kept, but I am not prepared to go all in on it being the determining factor in a good or bad season.

If they eliminated spring practice and started the full contact a week earlier, instead of August 1, then I'd be on board with that. Allow for helmet and/or uppers spring ball for 10 days, and then start contact around July 20th or so, and I'm completely on board.
I don't see what it hurts to have kids out there doing things in the spring. Especially the ones that have a shot at playing college ball. I don't think this is anything that will get passed but it wouldn't shock me either. College coaches are so busy especially in the middle of season they don't get to just run down and watch a practice whenever they want. So spring is that time where they can really see you in person and see what you can do. Hopefully they will do whats best for the kids.
BCHSrebs Wrote:My son is a sophomore soon be junior. His passion and greatest joy is being with his team, being with his brothers. He runs his routes in off season with his sophomore QB for timing and to get better. He is driven and has his goals as many do. He loves spring practice because he loves not only the brotherhood but the work he puts in. I have watched our spring practice from my car since they are closed practices. They may have pads and helmet on but nobody gets tackled and hit like someone from an opposing team would. They get hit but all stay on their feet. Should not rid a kid of his drive and passion because 8 schools dont wanna do it!!

They want to bring back 7 on 7 for June and competition against other schools.

As it stands 10 days of practice or 24 days of 7 on 7 and other non-contact drills. It is not a secret. The proposal to change bylaw 23 and 24 is on the KHSAA website under Board of Control Agenda items for February.
No insurance, so you'd be crazy to go against other schools without insurance.
I Rule The World Wrote:No insurance, so you'd be crazy to go against other schools without insurance.

That is 100% the big catch in this. If we are eliminating spring ball just to allow you to throw against yourself in June, then that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Especially since most coaches don't put a ton of stock into anything that happens in 7v7 anyway.
I do not see the big deal I think the break from football is good. Start a weight lifting club in off season, complete in another sport, QB/WR's go to field on their own and practice throwing routes if they want to, why do they need the coaching staff there. There is plenty that can be done for those that want to practice year round.
sstack Wrote:I do not see the big deal I think the break from football is good. Start a weight lifting club in off season, complete in another sport, QB/WR's go to field on their own and practice throwing routes if they want to, why do they need the coaching staff there. There is plenty that can be done for those that want to practice year round.

Again......because some schools thrive on spring practice AND college coaches get a chance to see the kids.
FoSho Wrote:Again......because some schools thrive on spring practice AND college coaches get a chance to see the kids.

And based on what I have read and know from friends whose kids play in college, spring is when they have the time to do that.
Pages: 1 2 3