Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Proposal to End Spring Practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Spring Practice is a great time to re-engage kids and begin the process anew. Obviously, kids who play spring sports typically are not participating...but IMO it's an invaluable tool to begin laying the groundwork for the upcoming season.

Therein lies part of the problem. Some football coaches "insist" that their players attend (at least here locally). Many of the best athletes, especially in small schools, are the best players in multiple sports. Players are"forced" to choose spring practice or spring sports. Some have tried to do both, which is not really practical. ie. a QB showing up to pitch a baseball game after he has thrown plenty of passes at spring football practice.... or running in a track meet after you've run pass patterns for 90 minutes. It would be great if cooperation and understanding would prevail. How do other schools deal with this problem?
I think in the small schools the best players should play them all. Missing spring ball wont hurt them.
mandan Wrote:Therein lies part of the problem. Some football coaches "insist" that their players attend (at least here locally). Many of the best athletes, especially in small schools, are the best players in multiple sports. Players are"forced" to choose spring practice or spring sports. Some have tried to do both, which is not really practical. ie. a QB showing up to pitch a baseball game after he has thrown plenty of passes at spring football practice.... or running in a track meet after you've run pass patterns for 90 minutes. It would be great if cooperation and understanding would prevail. How do other schools deal with this problem?

Now we have 80ish kids on the team at Boyle Co. so that helps, but only kids that don't play spring sports comes to spring football practice. If there is enough kids (which usually isn't a problem) we even have a black/gold scrimmage in the last couple of days.

It was invaluable to our team last year and paved the way to a great season.

There are several D1 schools planning on visiting this Spring. Can't wait!! 😎🏈
When does Boyle County start spring practice.
footballfever Wrote:When does Boyle County start spring practice.

Sometime in April?!?!
BCHSrebs Wrote:My son is a sophomore soon be junior. His passion and greatest joy is being with his team, being with his brothers. He runs his routes in off season with his sophomore QB for timing and to get better. He is driven and has his goals as many do. He loves spring practice because he loves not only the brotherhood but the work he puts in. I have watched our spring practice from my car since they are closed practices. They may have pads and helmet on but nobody gets tackled and hit like someone from an opposing team would. They get hit but all stay on their feet. Should not rid a kid of his drive and passion because 8 schools dont wanna do it!!

Well said. I agree with everything in your post. My son to is a Sophomore going in to his Junior year. And after the season is over he and I both count down the days until Spring practice. And I'm there everyday after work watching. Take Spring practice away and that makes for a very very long time without football. Terrible idea in my opinion.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Well said. I agree with everything in your post. My son to is a Sophomore going in to his Junior year. And after the season is over he and I both count down the days until Spring practice. And I'm there everyday after work watching. Take Spring practice away and that makes for a very very long time without football. Terrible idea in my opinion.

Not everyone has the same attitude about football as Belfry and Boyle Co.

I can't wait to come to Pond Creek next year in the playoffs. Typically I am defensive and on edge about games vs great programs. But I'll be honest, I've met some great people from Belfry and I look forward to experiencing the game atmosphere down there and let the chips fall where they may. I'll have no ill will toward the game/fans and just look forward to having a good time and great experience.
Zero knowledge on this, but is 7on7 footballs version of AAU for basketball?
Explorer Wrote:Zero knowledge on this, but is 7on7 footballs version of AAU for basketball?

Kind of. Sort of. Maybe.

There are a lot of places that essentially have travel 7v7 teams that aren't affiliated with any schools. But, from what I can gather, that hasn't really caught on in Kentucky. I know some states are having HUGE issues with it, but I haven't seen any of that here. If you have a 7v7 tournament in California, there would be 7v7 AAU equivalents there. If you have a 7v7 tournament in Kentucky, from everything I have ever encountered, it's just high school teams.

So, yeah. It kind of is. Maybe.
What’s the premise behind the Louisville area ADs wanting to eliminate spring practice? Injuries? Kids in other sports???
Also I agree, if you take that away from football then all other sports should be only allowed to play within their designated seasons.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Kind of. Sort of. Maybe.

There are a lot of places that essentially have travel 7v7 teams that aren't affiliated with any schools. But, from what I can gather, that hasn't really caught on in Kentucky. I know some states are having HUGE issues with it, but I haven't seen any of that here. If you have a 7v7 tournament in California, there would be 7v7 AAU equivalents there. If you have a 7v7 tournament in Kentucky, from everything I have ever encountered, it's just high school teams.

Im sure there are KY "AAU" 7v7 teams that travel and play out of state.
FoSho Wrote:Im sure there are KY "AAU" 7v7 teams that travel and play out of state.

I honestly haven't seen one, yet. I may have missed it, because I'm not really into 7v7 at all, but I haven't seen or heard anything.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I honestly haven't seen one, yet. I may have missed it, because I'm not really into 7v7 at all, but I haven't seen or heard anything.

From what I've heard, there are some Boyle Co kids on one.
get rid of it!
thsrocks Wrote:They want to bring back 7 on 7 for June and competition against other schools.

As it stands 10 days of practice or 24 days of 7 on 7 and other non-contact drills. It is not a secret. The proposal to change bylaw 23 and 24 is on the KHSAA website under Board of Control Agenda items for February.

Why not do both? Oh yea it is all about basketball in KY that is why. Do what they do in the South, DO BOTH!!!! If i am not mistaken I believe the south has the best football in the country. And if someone wants to argue that just look at the players coming out of the south and how many of those kids play as true freshman. They are more advanced in there overall football skill because of the time put in during their high school days. And by the way how many kids from KY play basketball for the cats?
[quote=mandan]Therein lies part of the problem. Some football coaches "insist" that their players attend (at least here locally). Many of the best athletes, especially in small schools, are the best players in multiple sports. Players are"forced" to choose spring practice or spring sports. Some have tried to do both, which is not really practical. ie. a QB showing up to pitch a baseball game after he has thrown plenty of passes at spring football practice.... or running in a track meet after you've run pass patterns for 90 minutes. It would be great if cooperation and understanding would prevail. How do other schools deal with this problem?[/QUO

Those coaches that force kids to quit a sport should be fired. But if we did that you would be looking at about 80% of your basketball coaches. Again look what the south does and do that PERIOD!!!! If you were a QB and you could go get knowledge from only 1 QB in the world would it be the QB at UK or lets say maybe Rogers, Manning or Brady! Go south see what they do for high school football!!!
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Kind of. Sort of. Maybe.

AAU is a joke. Dont make football like basketball where the head coach doesnt matter anymore and the colleges start paying off AAU coaches to get players.
Sorry guys i am on a roll
I'm confused as to what Rodgers, Manning and Brady all have to do with this.....
Here is my take on spring practice, fall baseball, and "open gym" (the concept of which is laughable).

GET RID OF ALL OF THEM.

These are high school kids, let them be kids. And like someone else stated, most small schools and even the biggest schools, have their most athletic kids playing multiple sports.

Let them have a break if they aren't playing a sport during that season.

I see no benefit to contact football in the spring, bouncing a ball in June, or taking ground balls in October as a team organized event.
Spring practice has basically two benefits for the school I am most familiar with. It provides some fun after a dreary winter and a chance to get kids started working on individual skills through the spring and summer. Also, most of the best athletes may be running track or playing baseball, so it is an opportunity to spend more time coaching that next tier of kids. Lots of indy work for the future sophomores and juniors who didn't play much varsity the previous year. By the way, contact is extremely limited.
We have had a ton of college coaches the past two years watching spring ball and talking to kids. That's a rats ass move by AD's that will kill some of the exposure to coaches that are on the fence about a kid. Gives the student athlete some up front and personal time with recruiters and coaches. It's not mandatory so why try to ruin it for everyone else. If you don't like a tv show or radio broadcast don't complain change the darn channel... Same concept here. Multi sport athletes are not required to be there. The coaches do try to work around each other. Baseball kids are rarely at spring ball and track kids use track practice for conditioning. They participate in spring practice but do not have to do the running conditioning. There are alot of kids who get the opportunity to get reps and earn some playing time also. Once the season starts most of those reps go the the starters for game prep. Its hard to get 80 kids live reps during the season.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I'm confused as to what Rodgers, Manning and Brady all have to do with this.....

Ah if you are a QB and you want to learn where would you go to learn? Would you go to a bad QB and learn or would you go to the best? If you are a basketball state that doesnt produce ANY if maybe 1 or 2 D1 hoopers and you want to learn about how football should be governed you go to a football state!!!! I typed that very slow hope you got it.
Its called a Metaphor.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:Its called a Metaphor.

Ahh, yeah. Silly me.

I thought metaphor meant secret.

I haven't figured out the level of subtle insults someone could get by with on here, but I'm working on it.
These people are pretending that there is an either or choice here. There is not. If they want to do 7on7 in June they can do so without touching spring practice. Its a false problem designed to create division and get us to accept their premise that its a zero sum game and its not. Stop falling into the trap.
Get rid of it!
Explorer Wrote:Here is my take on spring practice, fall baseball, and "open gym" (the concept of which is laughable).

GET RID OF ALL OF THEM.

These are high school kids, let them be kids. And like someone else stated, most small schools and even the biggest schools, have their most athletic kids playing multiple sports.

Let them have a break if they aren't playing a sport during that season.

I see no benefit to contact football in the spring, bouncing a ball in June, or taking ground balls in October as a team organized event.

We've got the dead period. That's enough time away. The kids are lazy enough already. Staying active is good for them.
HCS Wrote:We've got the dead period. That's enough time away. The kids are lazy enough already. Staying active is good for them.

2 weeks in June isn't enough of a dead period either.

Kids aren't as lazy as people think, not even close. This isn't a job. A small percentage of kids are going to play college athletics and even smaller amount are going to get money to play.

The last guy off the bench is up and at practice at 6am for basketball in September. He isn't lazy, he just ins't talented. No matter how much work that kid puts in he still doesn't have talent.

That's the overwhelming majority of student athletes.
FoSho Wrote:Im sure there are KY "AAU" 7v7 teams that travel and play out of state.

Never hear or seen one. High school football coaches I know are thankful AAU has not crept into their lives.:Thumbs:
thsrocks Wrote:Never hear or seen one. High school football coaches I know are thankful AAU has not crept into their lives.:Thumbs:

They exist and mainly made up of Louisville kids.
Pages: 1 2 3