Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jbs Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am guessing I will read about this over
the next few days, but who exactly was
June Buchanan? I am assuming this person
was of some renown in the Hindman/Alice
Lloyd communities?
I think alot of people care in the fact that JB was part of the community that established Alice LLoyd College. Search around the state and country and there will be plenty of professional people that care about who she was and what she did in the area. I don't think she would care very much that JBS defeated Hazard or anyone in basketball but would be interested in knowing the players from any of these teams were going to improve their lives by getting a solid education. I really doubt if she would have been upset if her team had lost.
http://www.alc.edu

Go to the ALC website and you can read all about June Buchanan and Alice Lloyd....
Or just take Leadership at ALC. Kennedy will teach the class, Horrible
Miss June was still living when i attended ALC, she came to Caney from New york with Miss Lloyd and helped establish the college. The school is named in her honor.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Miss June was still living when i attended ALC, she came to Caney from New york with Miss Lloyd and helped establish the college. The school is named in her honor.
Of course my friend this was prior to Big Nose Kate I assume.
Interesting thread! Knew Doc would pull through for ya!
Ms. June almost had more to do with Alice Lloyd College than Alice herself. June came two years after Alice came to Kentucky. Alice Lloyd College is solely based on donations from graduates of ALC and other people around the United States. When Alice Lloyd came from Boston in 1915 to Caney she was giving a piece of land from a local farmer to educate the childern of the mountains. To get started Alice wrote 40 orginal letters asking for donations, one going to Ms. June Buchanan. Ms. June fell in love with the idea and she had to come down to Caney and take a look. When she came around 1917 she fell in love with Alice's goal of educating the kids of the mountains. Ms. June never went home. Alice Lloyd College was first know as Caney Creek Coummunity Center, then later to Caney Junior College, to modern day Alice Lloyd College. Alice Lloyd never wanted the college named after her, after her death Ms. June named the school in her honor. After Mrs. Lloyd's death Ms. June went on to take over the rein of Caney Community College, which lead to Alice Lloyd College. Smile
BTW.. lol not that it matters and nobody cares. Alice Lloyd is in Pippa Passes, and not Hindman.
ALC was a good school,according to my grandma but not anymore. If you have been a student there in the last 10 years you would know why.
Arbys Man Wrote:ALC was a good school,according to my grandma but not anymore. If you have been a student there in the last 10 years you would know why.
Justin Hick's grandmother lives in Pippa Passes, maybe they know each other.
I find it interesting that it can be said that ALC is not a good school for the last ten years. Has anyone been going that entire time period to establish such a statement? If it has taken that long to finish then I can understand why someone would think maybe it was not so good. I know of graduates that are working in the teaching profession and they have continued to give high marks to the college. I also realize that some probably feel otherwise and that is understandable also. Everyone has the right to their opinions but we should have the data to enforce our statements and show the facts. I simply have a problem in the evaluation of a school for one time period and how it can be reflective to certain tenure in time.
I have been to drama plays at ALC and have taken tours of the College and it has great surroundings and I dont think theres anything wrong with it at all.
I enjoyed my time at Alice Lloyd. Its defiently not for everyone but if you want to meet some good people and get an education for a somewhat low price then I'd recommend it.

uk96

Arbys Man Wrote:ALC was a good school,according to my grandma but not anymore. If you have been a student there in the last 10 years you would know why.

Alc educates about 600 kids a year at basically no cost to the student. They have they lowest debt per student after they graduate of any college in the whole United States. I saw on the Ira Combs talk show tonight that the GPA of the JBS team is 3.5% and that is very impressive. That is the thing about JBS that is the most important because these kids are students first and atheletes second.
I think the fact that you can go there and get a degree for very little money compared to other college,s is just great I just dont know why more kids dont go there.I know why,,,THEY WANT TO PARTY AND SPEND MOM AND DADS MONEY
Old school Dawg Wrote:I think the fact that you can go there and get a degree for very little money compared to other college,s is just great I just dont know why more kids dont go there.I know why,,,THEY WANT TO PARTY AND SPEND MOM AND DADS MONEY

That is one of the big reasons so many people that start out leave. They dont like the rules. While its not perfect it does help prepare you for the real world.
uk96 Wrote:Alc educates about 600 kids a year at basically no cost to the student. They have they lowest debt per student after they graduate of any college in the whole United States. I saw on the Ira Combs talk show tonight that the GPA of the JBS team is 3.5% and that is very impressive. That is the thing about JBS that is the most important because these kids are students first and atheletes second.

I don't know about that statement , if there are just 80 kids in school and say 25 play ball (jr high, jv, hs) and then you have another 10 or so cheering , this doesn't leave many to concentrate on studies does IT? One question, do the students in JBS work also or do they just pay for the private school?Rolleyes I had my children in private school and paid out the Pocketbook. But this was down state.
uk96 Wrote:Alc educates about 600 kids a year at basically no cost to the student. They have they lowest debt per student after they graduate of any college in the whole United States. I saw on the Ira Combs talk show tonight that the GPA of the JBS team is 3.5% and that is very impressive. That is the thing about JBS that is the most important because these kids are students first and atheletes second.

I am sorry, I dont see it as being students first and athletes second. To me if a school lets a player with a 3.5 GPA stay back for sports, then it seems like it is athletics first and school second.

If like Kentucky97 stated, if there are 80 students, 25 play basketball and 10 cheer. That leaves 45 students. If one of those 45 was wanting to be held back with a 3.5 GPA, would they be allowed to? Is a girls basketball program offered at JBS? Would the title 9 apply to them where they are a private school?
They have had a girls program in the past, softball etc

uk96

They actually have 73 kids in high school and the Herald leader article from today shows that the gpa of the team is 3.5% ,and the kids do pay to go to school there...

uk96

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am sorry, I dont see it as being students first and athletes second. To me if a school lets a player with a 3.5 GPA stay back for sports, then it seems like it is athletics first and school second.

If like Kentucky97 stated, if there are 80 students, 25 play basketball and 10 cheer. That leaves 45 students. If one of those 45 was wanting to be held back with a 3.5 GPA, would they be allowed to? Is a girls basketball program offered at JBS? Would the title 9 apply to them where they are a private school?

This is a mute point because you can not stay back in high school and play sports. You have 4 years from the time you enter high school to complete your athletic career. There is a girls program at JBS and title 9 does apply to any school that is a member of the KHSAA>
uk96 Wrote:This is a mute point because you can not stay back in high school and play sports. You have 4 years from the time you enter high school to complete your athletic career. There is a girls program at JBS and title 9 does apply to any school that is a member of the KHSAA>

So when they hold them back in the 7th or 8th grade with a 3.5, that makes them still students first and athletes second? If someone who didnt play sports there wanted to be held back with a 3.5, would they be allowed to do that with the limits on class sizes?
It is just the thing to do anymore for a High School team to be competitive is to have hold backs! Most schools push this with the Middle School athletes parents!
Exactly! They do it just like every other team does it. So how is it considered academics first and athletics second? JBS isnt the academic school they want people to think they are. I can think of other schools in the mountains that does better than them in the state testing.
Private schools don't do cats testing.

uk96

BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So when they hold them back in the 7th or 8th grade with a 3.5, that makes them still students first and athletes second? If someone who didnt play sports there wanted to be held back with a 3.5, would they be allowed to do that with the limits on class sizes?

Grade school is not what the post was about. That is a totally different subject that has been argued for years. What I meant about students first is that you have to maintain good grades or you are not allowed to play. I have seen a couple of kids leave there because they couldnt make the grades.
That is the same at private, public, and independent schools, if you dont make the grades, you dont play.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Exactly! They do it just like every other team does it. So how is it considered academics first and athletics second? JBS isnt the academic school they want people to think they are. I can think of other schools in the mountains that does better than them in the state testing.

You are correct. Athletics first and academics a far second. I know.
Benchwarmer Wrote:You are correct. Athletics first and academics a far second. I know.
I guess it's academics first and athletics last at KCC and Pikeville. YELL RIGHT
Pages: 1 2 3