Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Owensboro Catholic @Mayfield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
CS17 Wrote:Having played for Mayfield, and winning 3 championships... I can say that there is some weird switch that happens when the calendar changes from October to November... You can look at all the regular season games you want, but in the playoffs, coach Dew and the (starting) defense seem to become impenetrable.(in 2014, gave up a lot of points in the regular season, not a touchdown in the playoffs)...I don't see OCATH doing much with this Defense... especially the front seven... and the offense is hitting it's stride. So unless OCATH can muster up 40 points or more, they don't come close.

So to back up my prediction, OCATH MIGHT be able to bust open a big play to get 7 on the starters, and Mayfield is clicking on offense...

IF I'm wrong, then hopefully everyone who goes to the game will not waste their money and be in for a treat... but I still think the real playoffs for Mayfield don't start until next week.

If your right, your right. I will say I was wrong, but Friday will tell everything for us. I'm excited as I know other Mayfield fans are too. We are not Hancock or Todd Co or Caldwell Co. or McCracken Co. I think you guys know you will be in a fight. Here's where you guys win, in the 4th quarter and that's a credit to you guys.
I'm willing to eat crow, if need be... and for the sake of people going to the game, i hope i have to eat a healthy dose of it. When its all said and done, a W in the playoffs is a W... as long as Mayfield gets to the next round, so I can come home and watch, I'll be happy.
You are right about not being Caldwell County. Caldwell has actually beaten Mayfield. LOL
Ghostofjoey Wrote:You are right about not being Caldwell County. Caldwell has actually beaten Mayfield. LOL

There's a first time for everything Ghost. I'm talking about this year. OC's OL and defense are better then Caldwell's. Also Mayfield's D took 2 back for a TD and I think one on special teams. Catholic's D will not allow you to get big plays on them. They will make you work for sure. You may score but it will take awhile.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:You are right about not being Caldwell County. Caldwell has actually beaten Mayfield. LOL

OCath has beaten Mayfield as well.
I hope OCath's defense is as good as advertised as I worry about Mayfield's punt team. That poor punt team hardly ever gets on the field and rarely sees any action Sad.
I just hope we dont see Mayfield start pooch kicking the ball our coverage has been prety good for our kicker but lets not help them with a short field.
No disrespect to OC. I'd love for them to get the win. But I just don't see it happening. I see Mayfield winning by about 3 td's.
OCath has no chance. The score may be closer than the Caldwell game because OCath will try to slow it it down, but it will be at least a 21 pt game. When is the last time OCath has beaten Mayfield? Just wondering.
Mayfield 42-14 Mayfield is to big of a powerhouse
Well, since someone brought up the Murray game. I think since both teams played Murray let's compare.

Murray didn't score on Catholic til 8:00 minutes in the 4th qtr.
According to the box scores of Paducah Sun. They scored on Mayfield in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. Very interesting.

Also, if you look at the scores from the previous two meetings. Going into the 4th qtrs. 2015- 7-7 2016 14-7.

Catholic just needs to finish.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:OCath has no chance. The score may be closer than the Caldwell game because OCath will try to slow it it down, but it will be at least a 21 pt game. When is the last time OCath has beaten Mayfield? Just wondering.

Catholic has never beaten Mayfield in 7 meetings. Actually this is the 7th.
Time Will Tell Wrote:Well, since someone brought up the Murray game. I think since both teams played Murray let's compare.

Murray didn't score on Catholic til 8:00 minutes in the 4th qtr.
According to the box scores of Paducah Sun. They scored on Mayfield in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. Very interesting.

Also, if you look at the scores from the previous two meetings. Going into the 4th qtrs. 2015- 7-7 2016 14-7.

Catholic just needs to finish.

The Mayfield/Murray game was over after the 1st qtr. MF had already started pulling starters during the 2nd qtr. Kyle Hurt, the best linebacker in 2A, only played the first two or three defensive possessions of the game.

Mayfield has a pretty potent passing attack. Murray struggles to complete a forward pass. I wouldn't use Murray's offense as the benchmark for how your defense will fair against MF's offense. Likewise, I don't think how Murray performed against MF's JV will tell you much either.

I'm with you that I don't see this being a blowout, but I do think MF is a comfortable 14 points better.
Kracken Wrote:The Mayfield/Murray game was over after the 1st qtr. MF had already started pulling starters during the 2nd qtr. Kyle Hurt, the best linebacker in 2A, only played the first two or three defensive possessions of the game.

Mayfield has a pretty potent passing attack. Murray struggles to complete a forward pass. I wouldn't use Murray's offense as the benchmark for how your defense will fair against MF's offense. Likewise, I don't think how Murray performed against MF's JV will tell you much either.

I'm with you that I don't see this being a blowout, but I do think MF is a comfortable 14 points better.

I can agree with you on that. This running clock crap just isn't going to fly with me. To be honest with you. Neither team could beat their previous team. Example, 2017 Mayfield could not beat 2016 or 2015 Mayfield. Owensboro Catholic 2017 could not beat either 2016 or 2015 teams either. Mayfield is the favorite, but not 35pts.
I'm going with Mayfield in this one. But I too don't think it'll be by a running clock.
Mayfield 35
Owen. Cath 14
Time Will Tell Wrote:Catholic has never beaten Mayfield in 7 meetings. Actually this is the 7th.

According to Mayfield stat book done by Lanny Lancaster in 2011 Mayfield was 11-1 vs Owensboro Catholic at that time so now they are 13-1 against them, and 4-0 in the playoffs. They must have played some in regular season years ago, but I have no clue what year they lost to OCath.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:OCath has no chance. The score may be closer than the Caldwell game because OCath will try to slow it it down, but it will be at least a 21 pt game. When is the last time OCath has beaten Mayfield? Just wondering.

I wish I could answer that, but just know they lost to them 1 time don't know year.
Take a while... ?? I got 5 bucks we score with in 3 min of having the ball... !! I wanna see a good game just as much as the next guy.. so I hope oc can keep up... we have more offensive depth then we did last year... scoring won't be a issue.. 52-14 type of game
killbilly usmc Wrote:I wish I could answer that, but just know they lost to them 1 time don't know year.

If you will look back a bit, a OC fan already answered this. He said they are 0-7 versus the Cards.
It looks like this will be the first meeting between these two since MHS came back to 2a that rain won't be an issue. We won both the rain games. Does this help OC?
55, is that a real question? If anything, it makes it more lopsided
CS17 Wrote:55, is that a real question? If anything, it makes it more lopsided

Well, I don't know. Will it make that great OC defense too strong for us? I just read about how we won't get any big plays against them. I'm looking for them to roll out Ed Too Tall Jones, Deon Sanders, Ken Norton Jr, Russell Maryland and a few more of the Dallas Cowboys that they recruited on that defense.
Mayfield wins by 28 then they lose next week
Time Will Tell Wrote:I can agree with you on that. This running clock crap just isn't going to fly with me. To be honest with you. Neither team could beat their previous team. Example, 2017 Mayfield could not beat 2016 or 2015 Mayfield. Owensboro Catholic 2017 could not beat either 2016 or 2015 teams either. Mayfield is the favorite, but not 35pts.

I'm not sure I can go there on the whole not being as good as previous years thing. For MF, I would give 2017 a slight edge over 2015 in a very competitive game. As to 2016, which version are we debating? Version a) with their 1st team all-state linebacker, best defensive player, and heart and soul of the defense or b) without him? 2017 would give version (b) all they wanted. It would probably be a shootout and come down to had the ball last.
Kracken Wrote:I'm not sure I can go there on the whole not being as good as previous years thing. For MF, I would give 2017 a slight edge over 2015 in a very competitive game. As to 2016, which version are we debating? Version a) with their 1st team all-state linebacker, best defensive player, and heart and soul of the defense or b) without him? 2017 would give version (b) all they wanted. It would probably be a shootout and come down to had the ball last.

With All State LB.

Say what you want about the 2015 MF team. They got a ring. 2016 didn't. Blame it on not play LB. Catholic played without their best RB and WR last year. That's life. Next man up.
From 2009-2014, (if OCATH and Mayfield met every year), OCath would have been waxed every year... the closest games would have been 2011, and 2014... and even those wouldn't have been close.
Oh God You on score predictor?
Nope... played on 2010-13 Mayfield teams... but I'm interested now to see how bad they would be....
Now that I've looked that up... I was correct with the 2011 prediction... it was the closest with Mayfield winning 35-14... (all games played at OCATH)
mysonis55 Wrote:If you will look back a bit, a OC fan already answered this. He said they are 0-7 versus the Cards.

Guess Mayfield is not really 4th winningest football team in nation if Lanny Lancaster is padding the wins like that. His book says Mayfield is now 13-1. If I see Lanny Lancaster I'll tell him 55 says you are wrong.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5