Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boyle Belfry Central Corbin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Belfry is the key to all of the games. If they do not turn it over and are able to get a lead it's over. If you can trade scores with them and maybe turn them over you have a shot.
We shut them completely down for a half last year. And they only had one turnover. They did blow it open later on though. Containment is the key. Keep them between the tackles and stop the big plays from busting open is key. But there’s more than one way to skin a rabbit I guess
Hound05 Wrote:We shut them completely down for a half last year. And they only had one turnover. They did blow it open later on though. Containment is the key. Keep them between the tackles and stop the big plays from busting open is key. But there’s more than one way to skin a rabbit I guess

There’s more there to contain this year than there was last year the offense is much better the defense is right on schedule if you take one thing away we have two more and we can throw the ball this year
I’m not to worried about the passing game, I think we’ve faced better passing teams and our DB’s did very well. Rushing teams is a different story. The big play ability is still what scares me about you all. I’d orobably bet beechwood had more overall speed than you, but they were almost a finesse team somewhat, nothing like belfry. I’d srill say take away the big busted plays and containment and it’ll be a good game
Hound05 Wrote:We shut them completely down for a half last year. And they only had one turnover. They did blow it open later on though. Containment is the key. Keep them between the tackles and stop the big plays from busting open is key. But there’s more than one way to skin a rabbit I guess

The turning point in last years game came when Belfry decided to go to the huddle. At that point, Corbin couldn't read the signals and then it was over from there on.
It was still big busted plays on the outside. I might be wrong but I think you were very limited in first downs and redzone appearances. Goes to show the speed and big play ability you guys had. But somewhat a testament to our defense as well
Hound05 Wrote:It was still big busted plays on the outside. I might be wrong but I think you were very limited in first downs and redzone appearances. Goes to show the speed and big play ability you guys had. But somewhat a testament to our defense as well

Again the offense is much better than last year it’s probably the best we’ve ever had but we had to let our defense come along it’s there now I think you’ll be surprised
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:There’s more there to contain this year than there was last year the offense is much better the defense is right on schedule if you take one thing away we have two more and we can throw the ball this year

You think Belfry’s offense this year is “much better” than last year???
Let's not confuse "more complex" with "better". Belfry had one play last year that was unstoppable. They ran it to perfection. Pulling two division one lineman on a counter play makes it a whole lot easier to run that play to perfection. I'm pretty sure they ran it about six times and had four touchdowns off of it. I don't think there is any way that belfry' offense is "better" than last year. They may threaten more areas of the field, but there is no way they execute as well as last season. They just don't have the same talent level. That's not to say they aren't talented I still think they're the typical belfry offense. Huge linemen, backs that run as hard as possible and block till the whistle. They'll be tough to stop, I'm really hoping that we both take care of business so I get to watch it on thanksgiving weekend.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:They just don't have the same talent level. .

Have to put an asterisk here.

Belfry is more talented at the skill positions IMHO.

Browning has been almost an one for one replacement for Corbett. Wellman and Hunter are better versions of themselves, Hunter by a large margin. Hensley is an upgrade over Fletcher as the backup FB they spell Wellman with.

Catron was a big loss, but Belfry got Justin Adkins back after missing essentially all of last year due to injury.

Throw in improvement from Jessie at SE and I think it is safe to say Belfry is a little more talented at the skill positions.

Now when we are talking about the line that's a different story. This OLine is playing at a Championship level but I am not about to say they are better or more talented than last year's OLine with 3 D-1 starters.

The gap isnt as noticable as most expected, but in my humble opinion you can't compare this to one of the most dominant OLines to come through EKY.
Hound05 Wrote:It was still big busted plays on the outside. I might be wrong but I think you were very limited in first downs and redzone appearances. Goes to show the speed and big play ability you guys had. But somewhat a testament to our defense as well

There was no bust to it... it was numbers mis-matches due to Corbin's scheme. A bust would insinuate someone missed an assignment or wasn't where they were supposed to be, that wasnt the case at all.

Belfry killed Corbin with the straight counter and a counter option. They scored 5TD's off those two plays, four by Hunter and one by Catron.

Belfry had a blocker for every Defensive man on the counter and the Belfry backs simply outran the pursuit or made a move in the open field to break it longer. When you are swapping your safety for an extra man at the LOS this was the risk you run...

The reason Corbin shut down Belfry's Offense for a Half had more to do with Corbin's Offense more than anything.

Belfry had 4 possessions in the First Half. One was a TD run, the other was a fumble on the first play. In essence Belfry only had two true possessions otherwise and they were both 3 and outs. The first series they had was three runs to the fullback for 9 yards. The second posessions started with a huge loss on First Down that belfry couldn't recover from.

The story of the Half was how Corbin played keep away. The Hounds had easily over 80% of the First Half T.O.P
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Have to put an asterisk here.

Belfry is more talented at the skill positions IMHO.

Browning has been almost an one for one replacement for Corbett. Wellman and Hunter are better versions of themselves, Hunter by a large margin. Hensley is an upgrade over Fletcher as the backup FB they spell Wellman with.

Catron was a big loss, but Belfry got Justin Adkins back after missing essentially all of last year due to injury.

Throw in improvement from Jessie at SE and I think it is safe to say Belfry is a little more talented at the skill positions.

Now when we are talking about the line that's a different story. This OLine is playing at a Championship level but I am not about to say they are better or more talented than last year's OLine with 3 D-1 starters.

The gap isnt as noticable as most expected, but in my humble opinion you can't compare this to one of the most dominant OLines to come through EKY.

They lost 4 d-1 linemen and a d-1 back. They may very well be more talented at the skill spots, but I don't think it's enough to cover the difference in talent on the line. I think the over all team talent level has fallen quite a bit even if the skill players are more talented than last year. Again, that's not throwing off on the kids that are currently playing on the line. They're top their players and a top teir unit. They'll be tough to do anything with. Best of luck to the pirates, hope to see you all on thanksgiving weekend!
I think it’s really time to stop comparing teams to last year or year before or whenever because teams are different and this Belfry team is really good and developing its own identity. They may not win it this year, but it’s gonna take a real good team IMO to knock them out. One that can hang for 48 minutes and not just a half or 3 quarters.
Our O-Line is going to surprise alot of people come playoff time. These young men have been overlooked all year and it has cost opposing teams dearly! By the time these linemen graduate, a few of them may be playing on Saturday's to.
bucslover68 Wrote:I think it’s really time to stop comparing teams to last year or year before or whenever because teams are different and this Belfry team is really good and developing its own identity. They may not win it this year, but it’s gonna take a real good team IMO to knock them out. One that can hang for 48 minutes and not just a half or 3 quarters.

I agree it don’t really matter what we say what matters is who picks that big gold trophy up in December and we still got a couple more left before we give up on this run we on and it may be longer than that
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Let's not confuse "more complex" with "better". Belfry had one play last year that was unstoppable. They ran it to perfection. Pulling two division one lineman on a counter play makes it a whole lot easier to run that play to perfection. I'm pretty sure they ran it about six times and had four touchdowns off of it. I don't think there is any way that belfry' offense is "better" than last year. They may threaten more areas of the field, but there is no way they execute as well as last season. They just don't have the same talent level. That's not to say they aren't talented I still think they're the typical belfry offense. Huge linemen, backs that run as hard as possible and block till the whistle. They'll be tough to stop, I'm really hoping that we both take care of business so I get to watch it on thanksgiving weekend.

To be honest it wasn’t one play that got Corbin what happen was everything went perfect for them the first half there offense kept the ball just about the whole time we had a few three and outs and then the 2nd half happen the first sign of adversity the wheels came off for them and regardless of what you think when we went to the huddle and they didn’t know our plays then that made a difference but there’s a good chance we will get round three I guess we will see what happens good luck until then
Then why did Corbin continue to shut down everything but the counter in the second half? Corbin was in control until the end of the third quarter too, not till the start of the second. I guess it was the wind that made belfry go three and out in the first half, and fumble the ball too. I'll give credit where it is due. Belfry was a great football team last season, and they did what great teams do. They finished strong. You can accuse Corbin of cheating or stealing signals or whatever you want. The facts of it is that Corbin took it to belfry for three quarters and then belfry responded and did what great teams and coaches do. They made adjustments and won the game. We'll see if it's as easy when Haywood doesn't have a crap ton of senior d-1 talent.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Then why did Corbin continue to shut down everything but the counter in the second half? Corbin was in control until the end of the third quarter too, not till the start of the second. I guess it was the wind that made belfry go three and out in the first half, and fumble the ball too. I'll give credit where it is due. Belfry was a great football team last season, and they did what great teams do. They finished strong. You can accuse Corbin of cheating or stealing signals or whatever you want. The facts of it is that Corbin took it to belfry for three quarters and then belfry responded and did what great teams and coaches do. They made adjustments and won the game. We'll see if it's as easy when Haywood doesn't have a crap ton of senior d-1 talent.

Honestly last year is over we won 3 and a half TD’s it was a good game but they couldn’t finish it’s over.
Now for this year everybody knows what we’re going to do just see if you can stop us sounds easy but it’s not I hope to see the puppies at the end of November and I’ll tell you again they did have our signs and he’ll try it again this year Haddix didn’t make that trip to Cabell just to see us in person he can see all he wants on hudl but if i was him I’d probably do the same thing I guess it’s just a part of it good luck hopefully we’ll meet in November
To be such a great team and program, you guys up at belfry sure do love a good excuse.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:To be honest it wasn’t one play that got Corbin what happen was everything went perfect for them the first half there offense kept the ball just about the whole time we had a few three and outs and then the 2nd half happen the first sign of adversity the wheels came off for them and regardless of what you think when we went to the huddle and they didn’t know our plays then that made a difference but there’s a good chance we will get round three I guess we will see what happens good luck until then

I’d have to disagree, it was one play. A counter. We had a good game plan. But that counter killed us with your speed and our lack of containment on the outside. You say the offense is better, and I have no reason not to believe you, but our defense is way better than last years. Should be a good game again. Hopefully. Good luck
Single Wing 77 Wrote:To be such a great team and program, you guys up at belfry sure do love a good excuse.

I don’t know what your talking about I’m not giving a excuse we won
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Corbin was in control until the end of the third quarter too

The Belfry comeback started with 9:55 left in the 3rd quarter. Corbin had NO ANSWER for Belfry in the second half. The score was 17-3 at the half, 42-17 at the end of the game.
Hound05 Wrote:I’d have to disagree, it was one play. A counter. We had a good game plan. But that counter killed us with your speed and our lack of containment on the outside. You say the offense is better, and I have no reason not to believe you, but our defense is way better than last years. Should be a good game again. Hopefully. Good luck

Once again just to be clear... IT WAS TWO PLAYS LOL

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5563016/583...01a429d826

Counter Option and Counter.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Then why did Corbin continue to shut down everything but the counter in the second half? Corbin was in control until the end of the third quarter too, not till the start of the second.

Not entirely accurate

Belfry got the ball to start the Second Half at started at their 30. They did not score but they actually moved the ball well (three first downs) with the FB getting established after having no success in the first Half. Corbin got the stop in their own territory. A TFL on the option, a penalty, and a busted play on 4th Down is what killed the drive after a few First Downs.

Belfry's 2nd possession Wellman had one carry for a sizeable gain before Taveon broke the long TD

Belfry's 3rd possession was a 3 play drive, Wellman gained two, Corbett ran for 33, then Hunter broke another long one.

Fourth possession was a one play drive with Catron scoring.

Fifth possession was a one play drive with Hunter scoring from 35 yards out.

Defensive TD

Sixth possession started inside the Corbin 20 after a Wellman INT. Belfry gains 10 with the FB Fletcher, gains 3, then takes a knee inside the 10.

Long story short, 2nd Half Belfry established the FB much better and averaged probably 5 yards a carry at that position. Corbett had a long run.. and those Counter and Counter Options were unstoppable.
I was wondering if they forgot about the option...the option led the comeback and the counter finished it off....I’m sorry but 42-17...we don’t have excuses, but we do have another really good team with a bunch of future college players. Maybe not all D1, but some really good players...if I was Corbin, I would be worried about that O line Belfry has and you better account for mister Hunter cause he’s back and better than ever!
The turning point in the game was when Corbin tried to get fancy on the goal line and turns it over. If they score and go up 24-3 with the momentum the game is likely iced.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I don’t know what your talking about I’m not giving a excuse we won

That's why I don't understand it. You're making excuses for why you were down at all. Accusing Corbin of stealing signals. You literally cannot admit that Corbin had a better game plan to start the game. Have to make an excuse as to why you were down at halftime. I'm not making any excuses as to why you all came storming back and won handily. You had the better team and made the adjustments you needed too. You won and deserved to do so.
I’ve said on more than one occasion that the Corbin game plan for the first half or 3 quarters was as good and executed as good as anyone Belfry has faced, but I have also said that it won’t be good enough this year if the Hounds just show up for a half or 3 quarters.
I guarantee I know that Haywood and his bunch are thinking of only Pike Central with a possible brief look ahead to JC next week. Belfry has played really well for the most part this year IMO, but they still haven’t peaked yet.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:That's why I don't understand it. You're making excuses for why you were down at all. Accusing Corbin of stealing signals. You literally cannot admit that Corbin had a better game plan to start the game. Have to make an excuse as to why you were down at halftime. I'm not making any excuses as to why you all came storming back and won handily. You had the better team and made the adjustments you needed too. You won and deserved to do so.

I will admit it for sure.

That was a beautifully executed game plan in the First Half.

It was designed to get a couple early stops before Belfry could adjust, to get Corbin in the lead, and to use Belfry's Offensive style and ball control against them by limiting possessions. Very well thought out.

If Haywood and his staff didn't make the perfect adjustments and Corbin doesn't fall part late it may have worked too.

Kind of like the villains on Scooby Doo, "Yeah we had a great gameplan... and we would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for that meddling Haywood and his fast RB"
Pages: 1 2 3