Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Truth about JBS and the Stepps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been listening to what people have been saying about JBS and their fans and I have witnessed with my own eyes what has happened in their games. I am a JBS fan, and I have no regrets about that, but I do have a problem with what many say about us JBS fans, and with the Stepps. First of all, you say that all we care about is the promotion of the Stepp brothers and to see who can score the most, you say that we are smart elects, and that we like to brag. For a small number of JBS fans, these statements might be true, but that is NOT what the vast majority JBS fans are about. I think the Stepps are some of the most arragant and heartless people that I have ever met, and when I say Stepps, I am referring to Gary, Jim, and Joe. This year, JBS IMO has one of the most talented squads in the mountains and in the state for that matter, but they will never be a championship team if the Stepps continue to steer this program into the direction that it is headed. Tonight as I witnessed JBS fall to Hazard, congrats to the Bulldogs by the way, it just made me sick to my stomach to watch the pathetic coaching and stratagy displayed by Gary and Jim. All they care about is Clark and Clint, who have both been brainwashed to follow the lead of their dad Joe, and their uncles. This is really sad to me, they care nothing about the success of the team and the other boys, just their nephews. JBS has so many other talented boys on the bench that get no chance to show what they can do and it is an embarrassment to the ones that do get to play, because all they can do is stand and watch Clark and Clint make compete fools of themselves, and the team as a whole. Tate Cox, is one of the greatest basketball players that I have seen in a long time, and his cool and calm nature just adds to his great game play, and decision making. I feel so sorry for him and for his father Jim Cox, because Tate is being robbed of a chance to showcase his talents for scouts and others to see. IMO Tate Cox is a tie with Justin Hicks for 14th Region player of the year for 2007, and if he makes it to another high school or if the Stepps allow him to continue playing at JBS, he will be a candidate for Mr. Basketball in his senior year, wherever that may be. The Stepps hate this however and are so jealous and just use Tate to better glorify Clark and Clint. The vast majority of JBS fans share similar views as I do. Every game, win or lose, we can see the corrupt politics of the Stepps at work and it sickens everyone. I can only hope for the day that the Stepps are ousted from Alice Lloyd College and JBS, but I know that this is a dream that will probably never come true. It is an injustice what the JBS boys have to go through because of the Stepps, and I think that thier morale is being drained from them each time they are wrongly sat on the bench or not aloud to play or have equal participation on the floor which occurs every night JBS takes the floor. This IMO is also a major factor in why JBS fell to Hazard, and again I say congrats to Hazard and the best of luck in Richmond next week. I would just like the public to see this message, as it is the opinion in most all JBS fans.
i agree with this. alot of people from jbs (parents and children) are good people. and i get along with a lot of them. but the small amount of fans that like to brag seem to be most of the ones on this site, so it gives the jbs fans and students a bad name. and as for the rest of your little story i think you hit the nail on the head.
wiseman Wrote:I have been listening to what people have been saying about JBS and their fans and I have witnessed with my own eyes what has happened in their games. I am a JBS fan, and I have no regrets about that, but I do have a problem with what many say about us JBS fans, and with the Stepps. First of all, you say that all we care about is the promotion of the Stepp brothers and to see who can score the most, you say that we are smart elects, and that we like to brag. For a small number of JBS fans, these statements might be true, but that is NOT what the vast majority JBS fans are about. I think the Stepps are some of the most arragant and heartless people that I have ever met, and when I say Stepps, I am referring to Gary, Jim, and Joe. This year, JBS IMO has one of the most talented squads in the mountains and in the state for that matter, but they will never be a championship team if the Stepps continue to steer this program into the direction that it is headed. Tonight as I witnessed JBS fall to Hazard, congrats to the Bulldogs by the way, it just made me sick to my stomach to watch the pathetic coaching and stratagy displayed by Gary and Jim. All they care about is Clark and Clint, who have both been brainwashed to follow the lead of their dad Joe, and their uncles. This is really sad to me, they care nothing about the success of the team and the other boys, just their nephews. JBS has so many other talented boys on the bench that get no chance to show what they can do and it is an embarrassment to the ones that do get to play, because all they can do is stand and watch Clark and Clint make compete fools of themselves, and the team as a whole. Tate Cox, is one of the greatest basketball players that I have seen in a long time, and his cool and calm nature just adds to his great game play, and decision making. I feel so sorry for him and for his father Jim Cox, because Tate is being robbed of a chance to showcase his talents for scouts and others to see. IMO Tate Cox is a tie with Justin Hicks for 14th Region player of the year for 2007, and if he makes it to another high school or if the Stepps allow him to continue playing at JBS, he will be a candidate for Mr. Basketball in his senior year, wherever that may be. The Stepps hate this however and are so jealous and just use Tate to better glorify Clark and Clint. The vast majority of JBS fans share similar views as I do. Every game, win or lose, we can see the corrupt politics of the Stepps at work and it sickens everyone. I can only hope for the day that the Stepps are ousted from Alice Lloyd College and JBS, but I know that this is a dream that will probably never come true. It is an injustice what the JBS boys have to go through because of the Stepps, and I think that thier morale is being drained from them each time they are wrongly sat on the bench or not aloud to play or have equal participation on the floor which occurs every night JBS takes the floor. This IMO is also a major factor in why JBS fell to Hazard, and again I say congrats to Hazard and the best of luck in Richmond next week. I would just like the public to see this message, as it is the opinion in most all JBS fans.

I agree 100%. The Stepps is what is wrong with JBS Cox is great:Cheerlead
wiseman Wrote:I have been listening to what people have been saying about JBS and their fans and I have witnessed with my own eyes what has happened in their games. I am a JBS fan, and I have no regrets about that, but I do have a problem with what many say about us JBS fans, and with the Stepps. First of all, you say that all we care about is the promotion of the Stepp brothers and to see who can score the most, you say that we are smart elects, and that we like to brag. For a small number of JBS fans, these statements might be true, but that is NOT what the vast majority JBS fans are about. I think the Stepps are some of the most arragant and heartless people that I have ever met, and when I say Stepps, I am referring to Gary, Jim, and Joe. This year, JBS IMO has one of the most talented squads in the mountains and in the state for that matter, but they will never be a championship team if the Stepps continue to steer this program into the direction that it is headed. Tonight as I witnessed JBS fall to Hazard, congrats to the Bulldogs by the way, it just made me sick to my stomach to watch the pathetic coaching and stratagy displayed by Gary and Jim. All they care about is Clark and Clint, who have both been brainwashed to follow the lead of their dad Joe, and their uncles. This is really sad to me, they care nothing about the success of the team and the other boys, just their nephews. JBS has so many other talented boys on the bench that get no chance to show what they can do and it is an embarrassment to the ones that do get to play, because all they can do is stand and watch Clark and Clint make compete fools of themselves, and the team as a whole. Tate Cox, is one of the greatest basketball players that I have seen in a long time, and his cool and calm nature just adds to his great game play, and decision making. I feel so sorry for him and for his father Jim Cox, because Tate is being robbed of a chance to showcase his talents for scouts and others to see. IMO Tate Cox is a tie with Justin Hicks for 14th Region player of the year for 2007, and if he makes it to another high school or if the Stepps allow him to continue playing at JBS, he will be a candidate for Mr. Basketball in his senior year, wherever that may be. The Stepps hate this however and are so jealous and just use Tate to better glorify Clark and Clint. The vast majority of JBS fans share similar views as I do. Every game, win or lose, we can see the corrupt politics of the Stepps at work and it sickens everyone. I can only hope for the day that the Stepps are ousted from Alice Lloyd College and JBS, but I know that this is a dream that will probably never come true. It is an injustice what the JBS boys have to go through because of the Stepps, and I think that thier morale is being drained from them each time they are wrongly sat on the bench or not aloud to play or have equal participation on the floor which occurs every night JBS takes the floor. This IMO is also a major factor in why JBS fell to Hazard, and again I say congrats to Hazard and the best of luck in Richmond next week. I would just like the public to see this message, as it is the opinion in most all JBS fans.
Cox should show his talent elsewhere and let the Stepps continue to fall.
i love you.....this is the best post on BGR that i've ever seen....major props to you
Please put this post in the Hall of Fame on BGR. This is the perfect post and it came from one of the Crusaders. Now you know why most dislike JBS it is really only the Stepps
Larry Bird Wrote:i love you.....this is the best post on BGR that i've ever seen....major props to you

likewise
Larry Bird Wrote:i love you.....this is the best post on BGR that i've ever seen....major props to you

Thanks a lot!
Very good post!!! I actually feel sorry for the JBS team and I wish that Tate Cox would come to Hazard and be a Bulldog. I don't see how he puts up with all that but he just plays his heart out and never says a word. I also know the Slone boy and you won't find a finer young man anywhere but he never gets to play and I think this is a shame. From what I have heard the older Stepp brother were all good basketball players when they were younger and I think they are trying to relive that thru the younger Stepps. I'm sure the younger Stepps have been pressured to play ball since the time they were old enuf to walk. I can understand Clark's dad trying to make Clark a star and trying to keep him in the public's eye in the hopes that he will get a good scholarship somewhere but I don't think it's fair to the other boys on the team. Anyway, Congrats to JBS...14th Region All A Runners-Up!
I have read many post tonight and I have not seen JBS play so I wont comment about there style or anything else.
I only want to ask a question or two and I am hoping that with the vast amount of knowledge of our members they can be answered.

Does Alice Lloyd own JBS?

Is a Stepp still president of ALC?

Do students families still pay to attend JBS?

If they do and they are not satisfied with the coaching, and the direction of the team, and they feel as though their child is being treated unfairly, then why don't they transfer their child to a different school?

Wouldn't this solve every ones problem?

If I am paying for my childs education and welfare then i would never allow him to mistreated would you?

Now to me common sense would remove this problem, if it is a problem with the families of the parents.

Piarist, and Wesley Christian are not that far from JBS transfer your child.
By the way i watched the Stepps play when they were in high school and saw Irvin, and Gary try to play in college. So I am very familiar with their family tradition.
Doc Holliday Wrote:I have read many post tonight and I have not seen JBS play so I wont comment about there style or anything else.
I only want to ask a question or two and I am hoping that with the vast amount of knowledge of our members they can be answered.

If they do and they are not satisfied with the coaching, and the direction of the team, and they feel as though their child is being treated unfairly, then why don't they transfer their child to a different school?

If I am paying for my childs education and welfare then i would never allow him to mistreated would you?

Now to me common sense would remove this problem, if it is a problem with the families of the parents.

JBS is a branch of ALC, and yes Joe Stepp, Clark and Clint's father is the President, and Jim, associate head coach of JBS is one of the Deans at ALC, families to pay tuition and it is based on the income of the individual families, JBS is a great school, but their boys high school basketball is what is being hurt by the Stepps
Doc Holliday Wrote:I have read many post tonight and I have not seen JBS play so I wont comment about there style or anything else.

No, Alice Lloyd College does not own JBS.

Yes, Joe Stepp, Clark and Clints father is the president of the college.

Yes, students do pay to go there, although how much they pay can be determined on how much their parents income is.

The thing about it is, is that most of these children have been going to school there since pre-school, and dont want to leave. And besides the Stepp part, JBS is a very good school.

On another note...Awsome post! Love it!
Im not trying to stir the pot, I watched Irvin jack up shots from everywhere and he was a great scorer but I wouldnt have said he was a great player. Saw him score 66 and get beat by 20. I understand the system, and I know the way things work, and I always wondered what would have happened at Phelps, if on say homecoming Irvin and Gary would have shown up and the rest of the team had not. How many points would he have got, with out the picks and the rebounds.

I watched my cousin play in a similar sitituation, and he walked off the court in the middle of a district tourney his senior year because he had more points at half than the star and the coach made a comment that they didnt need him to score and his roll was to rebound, not put it back, but to kick it out for the STAR, they went from up 5 to getting upset and I laugh about it everytime I see his coach.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Im not trying to stir the pot, I watched Irvin jack up shots from everywhere and he was a great scorer but I wouldnt have said he was a great player. Saw him score 66 and get beat by 20. I understand the system, and I know the way things work, and I always wondered what would have happened at Phelps, if on say homecoming Irvin and Gary would have shown up and the rest of the team had not. How many points would he have got, with out the picks and the rebounds.

I watched my cousin play in a similar sitituation, and he walked off the court in the middle of a district tourney his senior year because he had more points at half than the star and the coach made a comment that they didnt need him to score and his roll was to rebound, not put it back, but to kick it out for the STAR, they went from up 5 to getting upset and I laugh about it everytime I see his coach.

I like this story. I have a feeling this may happen to Tate Cox someday.
I noticed a deline in fan momentum on the JBS side tonight, even though many were present. It was brought to my attention that there must be some disapproval in the coaching and player selection by the Stepp coaches and that maybe some fans just were there because "they were suppose to be".
Interesting story and points made! I could care less either way and agree with Doc, if the parents don't like the way things are ran there, then put your kid where you want him! As a fans perspective, I don't think we can argue with the success that they are having there. Small school who breathes basketball and who is winning. If it takes Clark Stepp shooting the ball 25 times a night, then who cares..BECAUSE WHY? THEY ARE WINNING! And me as a coach, I am going to do what is best to put my team in a position to win and Coach Stepp is doing so and doing a good job at it!~ Now IMO I don't think there is a finer player in the mountains as what JBS has in Tate Cox, but if you watch Cox, he is a role player who just plays. He doesn't care if he gets 15 shots off a night and carries himself the way everyone knows he will. After JBS won the WYMT, you see Tate just walking while everyone else is celebrating and I do believe he likes his position not having the light on him because that is the type of person he is. Now everyone can dislike the Stepps or JBS and like I said, I could care less either way because I am from Jenkins..But you can't argue success, and like them or not, JBS is having it, and will continue to have it because they are doing it with UNDERCLASSMEN! Best of Luck to JBS the rest of the way!
PLAYBOY5
Wiseman i am a jbs fan to! This is the greatest post and everyone probably would not hate jbs as bad if this didnt go on. I feel sorry for tate cox that is imo the best ball player on jbs team and maybe the 14th region. But great post wiseman. Thank you for making this post!
Very good post, told that one like it is.
Which post -STAT-? The opening?
the post is correct, when the coaches do not have enough sense to come out of a zone when they are behind and go man to man to try to win. there is something wrong with thier logic. you son't sit in a zone when you are behind!! the stepps do not know how to coach team basketball, anyone else could take that team to state.
as for tate cox, a freshman, he could turn out to be one of the best since king kelly coleman to come out of the mountains. any other school would kill for this talent and the talent they have amassed. but alas jbs stands for just be a stepp, the only way to get in the game!!!! just watch a game and you will see
My point is a simple one, I have nothing against the Stepps if anything I think that over all they have improved many things at ALC since I went there. They have moved JBS into the media spotlight with their basketball program. When the lights and cameras come on people start disecting each and every movement that a program does.
I saw many negative posts about Rose Hill when they were in their Mayo period. The Rose Hill bashers were upset for several reasons, the doormat was no longer a doormat. Anytime a team shifts the power, and moves from being counted as a sure win to being one of the favorites to win the region, with the glory and the spotlights comes the complaints.
I have seen it happen time and time again, I experienced it when I was in school, some 30 years ago I saw my high school lose its coach, because of the pressure that was applied by boosters, fans, and a administrator who thought he could "take that team to state" if he were the coach. What the bashers didn't understand then was that the coach had the team clicking, he had their pulse, and when he left so did the team, players quit and we fell from being the favorite to and also ran.

I not saying that they are doing the right thing or the wrong things at JBS, I am only saying that they are now in the spotlight, and the kids given the chance by all envolved will decide how far the team really goes.

If they really want to spotlight the kids today, you don't do it by staying in the mountains, you have to get them a much larger platform. To do that you have to win, the WYMT was a great start, the All A is now out, so they need to refocus and get ready to start taking the steps to Rupp.

I would hope that everyone associated with JBS or any team would understand it's what happens at Richmond, and Rupp that gets you noticed.
Well how about this one wiseman, you say you're upset to see JBS Basketball go this direction, but what has it ever been? What would it be if it weren't for the Stepps? Tate Cox is a great player and he may be over shadowed by Clark but if his family doesn't like it I'm sure they could take him somewhere else. So, what I'm saying is that the Stepps have been very good for JBS by simply keeping Clark there, he is an excellent player and without him, the Crusaders are not the same.
WOW, Sounds like a soap opera!
If you can't win with any dignity, what good is winning. It is sad with all the talent on the JBS team they are tryin to promote only two players.
clark is a decent player, good shot and ball handler, but has not been taught the idea of defense by his coaches and dad, if he doesn't score 25 or more a game he gets in trouble at home. the stepps are destroying what the previous coach built, they are destroying it by emphasizing their boys, the stepps as the only players there. basketball is a team game, not a showcase for one person. without the stepps and the turnovers, and lack of team ball, that team would be better, it is easy to stop 1 person, but harder to stop a team! so no i disagree the stepps are not good for jbs, after their boys are gone, they will not coach anymore there.
reaper Wrote:clark is a decent player, good shot and ball handler, but has not been taught the idea of defense by his coaches and dad, if he doesn't score 25 or more a game he gets in trouble at home. the stepps are destroying what the previous coach built, they are destroying it by emphasizing their boys, the stepps as the only players there. basketball is a team game, not a showcase for one person. without the stepps and the turnovers, and lack of team ball, that team would be better, it is easy to stop 1 person, but harder to stop a team! so no i disagree the stepps are not good for jbs, after their boys are gone, they will not coach anymore there.

I agree 100%... You can have Cox as PG and remove the Stepps, and with the talent jbs still has... and the team ball that Cox would make them play ... they would be an even BETTER team... I hate to blame this on Clark because he has enough pressure from his parents, but the coaching staff is the real problem... GREAT POST!!!! DEF. BGR Hall of Fame!!!
Great post. JBS has went from one of the highest academic schools to basketball and they dont even do that well.
*Coeus* Wrote:Well how about this one wiseman, you say you're upset to see JBS Basketball go this direction, but what has it ever been? What would it be if it weren't for the Stepps? Tate Cox is a great player and he may be over shadowed by Clark but if his family doesn't like it I'm sure they could take him somewhere else. So, what I'm saying is that the Stepps have been very good for JBS by simply keeping Clark there, he is an excellent player and without him, the Crusaders are not the same.
I hear from a coaching friend this is in the works. So maybe you andthe Stepp lovers will get thier wish. no competition for the spotlight.
I think if any parent should complain about the program at JBS is Hall's Short's Collin's and the rest...Cox gets his playing time and recognition for his plays and he is a great player,
Pages: 1 2