Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Don't get me wrong, still celebrating, but I'm not out of football mode yet, so let's look at 2016 for the Pikeville Panthers. Returning will be players such as: Wyatt Battaile at QB; Blake Charles, Evan Rhodes, Jonathan Ray, and Jesse Sparks at RB; Clay Slone, Tyler Elkins, Andrew McNamee, and Cody Dials at WR/CB; Linemen Nathan Campoy, Gunner Edmonds, Braden Kendall, and Austin Salyer. And my pick for next superstar (beside Blake Charles, of course): Mikey McDonald. And don't forget Denton Heffington. He broke two Pikeville kicking records (points) this season and he'll be back next year. PLUS - the development of this year's freshmen class over the off-season AND the addition of this year's 8th grade class that almost won a Jr High State Championship. Sounds pretty exciting to me. What say you?
Excited to see this team. Everyone talked about how 1 dimensional this year's team was after they played Paintsville. After the Belfry game though everyone said that they could run and pass, a lot of credit to Battaile. Next year I think they'll come out 2 dimensional from the start. This senior class will be hard to replace but I think if anybody can do it, it's this year's juniors. I think with the off season training Pikeville offers the freshman will be ready to go and play
Pikeville is, respectively, as much of a returning champion favorite as there has been the last few years. They should have the best set of skill guys in the east, possibly across the entire class. With Pikeville, leadership is never an issue, they all live and breath what Coach Mac lives and breathes... PIKEVILLE FOOTBALL. Bataille is one of if not the most accurate QB, from any class, that I have seen in awhile. Given a year to work on his timing and arm strength/mechanics, you have all the makings of one of the best QBs to ever come out of Pikeville. Not quite as big as Maynard was, but has all the "uncoachable" factors that makes a dual threat QB. I look for Blake Charles to have a big year as well. Someone said he reminded them of Austin Hatfield from Belfry a few seasons ago. He is a little thicker and shorter, but runs in a similar way. If anyone remembers Chris Brewer from Fairviews glory days, I think this kid can be that type of back. Speed and strength. Different speed and strength than Pugh, but I think they will replace him by comittee and be more balanced offensively as well. Pikeville is goina be hard to beat next year.
Mentioned this on another thread.....another kid to watch for is Tyler Collins. He will be a senior next year. With an off season under his belt here, he can step in on the O-Line and at Linebacker for Issac Lucas. He's a little bigger than Issac but just as athletic. Two year/ Two way starter at Betsy Layne as a freshmen and sophomore so he already has game experience. Transferred in here right before the season started this year and still was able to contribute some on special teams Mid-way through the season. I've had my eye on this kid since he got here and I like his instincts and aggressiveness.
My brother was at the Y yesterday and nearly all the non-basketball kids were already lifting for next year. Blake Charles even had some of the incoming freshmen in there helping them. THIS BUNCH AINT DONE!!!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:My brother was at the Y yesterday and nearly all the non-basketball kids were already lifting for next year. Blake Charles even had some of the incoming freshmen in there helping them. THIS BUNCH AINT DONE!!!

That's why Pikeville is that good
Live Maroon Wrote:Don't get me wrong, still celebrating, but I'm not out of football mode yet, so let's look at 2016 for the Pikeville Panthers. Returning will be players such as: Wyatt Battaile at QB; Blake Charles, Evan Rhodes, Jonathan Ray, and Jesse Sparks at RB; Clay Slone, Tyler Elkins, Andrew McNamee, and Cody Dials at WR/CB; Linemen Nathan Campoy, Gunner Edmonds, Braden Kendall, and Austin Salyer. And my pick for next superstar (beside Blake Charles, of course): Mikey McDonald. And don't forget Denton Heffington. He broke two Pikeville kicking records (points) this season and he'll be back next year. PLUS - the development of this year's freshmen class over the off-season AND the addition of this year's 8th grade class that almost won a Jr High State Championship. Sounds pretty exciting to me. What say you?

Junior Kyle Martin started OT midway through the season, and did a fine job. Has good size for that position, strength, and footwork. He had some knee issues as the season progressed, but if he gets that corrected, should be a big contributor.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Pikeville is, respectively, as much of a returning champion favorite as there has been the last few years. They should have the best set of skill guys in the east, possibly across the entire class. With Pikeville, leadership is never an issue, they all live and breath what Coach Mac lives and breathes... PIKEVILLE FOOTBALL. Bataille is one of if not the most accurate QB, from any class, that I have seen in awhile. [B]Given a year to work on his timing and arm strength/mechanics, you have all the makings of one of the best QBs to ever come out of Pikeville.[/B] Not quite as big as Maynard was, but has all the "uncoachable" factors that makes a dual threat QB. I look for Blake Charles to have a big year as well. Someone said he reminded them of Austin Hatfield from Belfry a few seasons ago. He is a little thicker and shorter, but runs in a similar way. If anyone remembers Chris Brewer from Fairviews glory days, I think this kid can be that type of back. Speed and strength. Different speed and strength than Pugh, but I think they will replace him by comittee and be more balanced offensively as well. Pikeville is goina be hard to beat next year.

Wyatt Battaile has the physicality of Pikeville QB Matt Blair, who did a fine job in 1987 for the Panthers. Same slender , tall build, and throws the ball very similar to what Matt did. The only difference I see is Wyatt is loaded with speed for the run, and Matt would be the first to admit, he didn't have any speed. REALLY looking forward to see him playing next season !
Pikeville lost a lot but has a lot going for them in 2016.
1. Lots of excellent skill players all over the field.
2. People coming back who have won a state championship, know how to win and got to practice against this year's seniors.
3. Will be very balanced like this year's team evolved into, which will continue to give teams fits.
4. Playoffs at Pikeville as long as they take care of business.
5. Coach Sullivan's defenses are really becoming special.
6. Great Freshman class coming up next year.
7. Coaching.
8. Rejuvenated fan base that is really behind the program.
9. Etc lol...

Pikeville really has a ton of positives right now and the sky is the limit for the next several years.
As far as "The Marshall" Wyatt Battaile goes....None other than another great Panther QB, Doug Powers told me himself that Wyatt had all the tools to be the best QB who ever played here by the time he graduates if he keeps working and stays healthy.
I expect the game between Pikeville and Hazard next year to be an all out war. I think 1 of those 2 represent the east. Pikeville had a little better depth this year than I expected. They may have the same but I don't expect it. But Pikeville will miss Pugh and it will show against the better part of the schedule for Pikeville.
bac2369 Wrote:I expect the game between Pikeville and Hazard next year to be an all out war. I think 1 of those 2 represent the east. Pikeville had a little better depth this year than I expected. They may have the same but I don't expect it. But Pikeville will miss Pugh and it will show against the better part of the schedule for Pikeville.

Pikeville will no doubt miss Pugh, he was the best back in 1A. Hazard has to replace QB & RB the only two offensive threats they had. Pikeville brings back 10 that visited the endzone this year. Plus the game wont be officiated by the reach around crew as Hazard has to come to Pikeville. Just see a much steeper hill to climb for Hazard.
One of my favorite stories of this past season was that of Cody Dials. Started out the year as QB1 but lost the job. I'm sure he was disappointed. He could've quit, he could've pouted and not really cared what happened to the team after that. But he didn't do that. HE WENT TO WORK! He became a ball hawking safety that made several picks and did everything he could to help his team win. Including a HUGE pass break up in the State Title Game that stopped a Beechwood drive dead in its tracks. That show A LOT about that young mans character and commitment to this team. With that said, He's too good of an athlete to play just one side of the ball. I get that he's backup QB, but don't be surprised if Coach Mac and Both Coach Johnsons develop him into a Wide Receiver and yet ANOTHER weapon in this offense.
Gargamel Wrote:Pikeville will no doubt miss Pugh, he was the best back in 1A. Hazard has to replace QB & RB the only two offensive threats they had. Pikeville brings back 10 that visited the endzone this year. Plus the game wont be officiated by the reach around crew as Hazard has to come to Pikeville. Just see a much steeper hill to climb for Hazard.

Running back was a sophomore and will be back for 2 more years. Blair will be solid at QB.
^Still verrrrrrrrrrry steep mountain to climb. Not happening in 2016, but Hazard will get better and be back in the hunt at some point.
jetpilot Wrote:^Still verrrrrrrrrrry steep mountain to climb. Not happening in 2016, but Hazard will get better and be back in the hunt at some point.

Not that steep. You will be surprised how good hazard can be next year. Blair will be solid at QB , but let's get back to Pikeville and there team. Pikeville will miss there 2015 seniors and they will take a step back compared to 2015. If not I will be surprised.
bac2369 Wrote:Not that steep. You will be surprised how good hazard can be next year. Blair will be solid at QB , but let's get back to Pikeville and there team. Pikeville will miss there 2015 seniors and they will take a step back compared to 2015. If not I will be surprised.

Read the thread. Pikeville could take a step back and still win handily. Hazard has shown no signs of slowing Pikeville's offense down one bit the last few years. They aren't going to slow down the skill players in 2016 either. Did you not see Blake Charles this year? Add Battaile, Rhodes (speedster) 10 TDs and over 10 yds/carry last 2 years as backup, Sparks (stud) all in backfield, WRs Slone, McNamee, add McDonald and Dials...BIG #s going to be put up...Plenty of linemen coming back as well and a state championship caliber incoming freshman class...and Hazard is trying to make up a 1st half running clock? Maybe 2017, that's a maybe.
Another factor to consider is the players who will want to transfer in to Pikeville since we are a State Championship Caliber program again. No disrespect meant here, but if you're a good player on ANY area team not named Belfry....Why wouldn't you want to be here to play for a GREAT Coach and have a legitimate shot every year at a chance to go to state? For example, at this time last year, hardly anybody from Pikeville even knew who Chatlin Jarrell was.....See what I mean? Success attracts people who want to be successful....
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Another factor to consider is the players who will want to transfer in to Pikeville since we are a State Championship Caliber program again. No disrespect meant here, but if you're a good player on ANY area team not named Belfry....Why wouldn't you want to be here to play for a GREAT Coach and have a legitimate shot every year at a chance to go to state? For example, at this time last year, hardly anybody from Pikeville even knew who Chatlin Jarrell was.....See what I mean? Success attracts people who want to be successful....

Pikeville knew who he was. They've only played for the past few years now. I agree its untelling who will show up.
I'm gonna remember the last two posts the next time Jetpilot starts on our case Smile
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Another factor to consider is the players who will want to transfer in to Pikeville since we are a State Championship Caliber program again. No disrespect meant here, but if you're a good player on ANY area team not named Belfry....Why wouldn't you want to be here to play for a GREAT Coach and have a legitimate shot every year at a chance to go to state? For example, at this time last year, hardly anybody from Pikeville even knew who Chatlin Jarrell was.....See what I mean? Success attracts people who want to be successful....

Agree. Great players want to play for great programs that win championships on the field, and in the classroom as well.:1:
jetpilot Wrote:Read the thread. Pikeville could take a step back and still win handily. Hazard has shown no signs of slowing Pikeville's offense down one bit the last few years. They aren't going to slow down the skill players in 2016 either. Did you not see Blake Charles this year? Add Battaile, Rhodes (speedster) 10 TDs and over 10 yds/carry last 2 years as backup, Sparks (stud) all in backfield, WRs Slone, McNamee, add McDonald and Dials...BIG #s going to be put up...Plenty of linemen coming back as well and a state championship caliber incoming freshman class...and Hazard is trying to make up a 1st half running clock? Maybe 2017, that's a maybe.

Yes and quite a few playmakers are gone from the team that did that. Hazard took a step back from losing Jones and Pikeville will from losing Pugh, and Many others from that great Team.
bac2369 Wrote:Yes and quite a few playmakers are gone from the team that did that. Hazard took a step back from losing Jones and Pikeville will from losing Pugh, and Many others from that great Team.

Dream on Alice, Wonderland is just around the corner!
Belfry0304 Wrote:I'm gonna remember the last two posts the next time Jetpilot starts on our case Smile
I don't hold that against Belfry. If I lived over that way and had a choice that my son would play for Yogi or Haywood....NO BRAINER!!!
Big Five-0- Wrote:Junior Kyle Martin started OT midway through the season, and did a fine job. Has good size for that position, strength, and footwork. He had some knee issues as the season progressed, but if he gets that corrected, should be a big contributor.

I thought he quit midway through the year?
bac2369 Wrote:Pikeville knew who he was. They've only played for the past few years now. I agree its untelling who will show up.
Chatlin didn't play last year due to the fact that P-Burgs coach is such a Derossett.....
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Chatlin didn't play last year due to the fact that P-Burgs coach is such a Derossett.....

Chatlin did play for Prestonsburg in 2014.. His stats are on the score board.
Taking a look at Pikeville for next year from there Roster it shows they lose 5 starters basically from the Offense in 2015 and 1 senior who played in 3 positions in the middle on the Offensive line so its 6 Really.

Defense they lose 6 players. They lose 2 linebackers. 2 defensive ends and 2 from the secondary. Looking at stats all those kids made lost of tackles and other players who were seniors chipped in as well.

Stat wise looking at what Pikeville loses is 2781yards and 41 Touchdowns from the rushing stand point. They lose 1081 yards receiving and 14 Touchdowns.

Those numbers are impressive If I do say so myself.
^You picked Hazard to upset Pikeville in the playoffs this year so we don't expect you to understand. Pikeville's skill players are going to go up and down the field on Hazard again. They aren't going to be able to tackle B. Charles. They won't be able to stop Battaile. And the other sill players. What you refuse to see is the people getting the reps from the "losses" you keep referring to are going to put up similar numbers in 2016! You will see I am right in Week 0...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Chatlin didn't play last year due to the fact that P-Burgs coach is such a Derossett.....

Goble
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8