Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard @ Pikeville (Class A Region IV Championship) Thoughts & Predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
The Bulldogs will travel to Hambley for a 3rd straight year. The Two Schools met at Hazard October 2nd, PHS winning 56-28. The game was fairly close at point with Hazard having the ball inside the Pikeville 10 and a chance to tie in the 3rd quarter.

The last time the two met in the playoffs was the 2011 State Semis at Hazard, won by the eventual State Champion Bulldogs. Panthers have not won a Regional Title since 2011, Hazard since 2012.
I'll have to see the video before I can make a post :thatsfunn
Hazard is a good team, and CANNOT be over looked. They are well coached, and played a strong Harlan team tonight and won to move on. Imo, the Panthers have so many weapons, and one difference from last season to now is they are focused like they should be by taking care of business, and striking quickly to go up early, not taking the foot off the pedal. Will not make a prediction now, but Pikeville wins to move on.
This may be one of the most focused Pikeville teams I've seen in a long time. Chalk that up to hard lesson learned by this group last season. With that said, they have to bring that same focus next Friday night because Hazard is not to be taken lightly at all!
I agree 100% . Hazard is Hazard. They will come ready to play. With that said I think the Panthers roll in this one.
I will be pulling for hazard in this one even tho I see the light at the end of the tunnel in this one. Go Hazard :Cheerlead sorry about my predictions :Sad04:

Pikeville 49
Hazard 20
I predict adjustments. I remember once upon a time there was a really powerful, unnamed, 1a team that met with the dawgs. They crushed the dawgs and even shut them out. The next time they met the dawgs, they got upset. Adjustments
Pikeville
Pikeville 35 hazard 14 to much Pikeville in this one they are loaded
If Hazard is too win they can not turn ball over and they must get off the field on 3rd down and must keep Pikeville off balance on defense.
mysonis55 Wrote:I predict adjustments. I remember once upon a time there was a really powerful, unnamed, 1a team that met with the dawgs. They crushed the dawgs and even shut them out. The next time they met the dawgs, they got upset. Adjustments

This Hazard team isn't deep or talented enough to make many adjustments. Lot of injuries. They have a good QB, RB and WR. And their defense has no answer for Pikeville's offense. They may try to get the ball to some of their young guys through the air, but that's iffy at best. If Pikeville shuts down the QB on the run, this one could get ugly. And they have been playing GREAT run defense. I'm predicting another STATEMENT by this group of very focused Panthers who seem to be peaking at just the right time.:flame:

Pikeville 56
Hazard 21
But, no disrespect intended here, Pikeville has a recent history over the past 3 years or so of becoming overconfident and choking.
mysonis55 Wrote:But, no disrespect intended here, Pikeville has a recent history over the past 3 years or so of becoming overconfident and choking.

New year 55, new attitude. They are playing one game at a time and keeping the pedal on the gas. Very focused and hungry bunch.
I thought that last year. The proof is in the pudding. I will believe it when I see it. I'm not saying they can't but, geez.
mysonis55 Wrote:I thought that last year. The proof is in the pudding. I will believe it when I see it. I'm not saying they can't but, geez.
Like JP said, new year, new attitude. Last year is fresh on their minds and they won't be overlooking anyone.
mysonis55 Wrote:I thought that last year. The proof is in the pudding. I will believe it when I see it. I'm not saying they can't but, geez.

Don't know how you can even think about Pikeville when you are looking at O Cath, winner of DeSales/CAL and probably Danville. But by all means sit back and watch. Mayfield wasn't better than Williamsburg last year, I will believe a Mayfield 2A title when I see it.:biggrin:
Hazard's injuries have killed any chance they had. Panthers by 18. Mayfield chews up 2A like a box of cupcakes. Sprinkles please.
http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/st...558d9.html

Good article on Williamsburg game in the Corbin paper. Posting it here because this is what Hazard is dealing with. Note Herron said "Totally different team than they were earlier in the year."
Serious question here? Has Pikeville beat Hazard in the Post season under coach Dixon era?? I know they've beat Hazard before in the post season before Mark Dixion but how about since he's been coaching?
I don't think so bac. Only played a few times. Dixon had the horses then, Pikeville has the horses now. Pikeville has beaten Dixon 3 straight years while scoring 62, 49 and 56 on offense.
jetpilot Wrote:Don't know how you can even think about Pikeville when you are looking at O Cath, winner of DeSales/CAL and probably Danville. But by all means sit back and watch. Mayfield wasn't better than Williamsburg last year, I will believe a Mayfield 2A title when I see it.:biggrin:
Mayfield will choke away 2A like a cat on a hairball. Might get past O Cath, but I would say no title this year.
jetpilot Wrote:I don't think so bac. Only played a few times. Dixon had the horses then, Pikeville has the horses now. Pikeville has beaten Dixon 3 straight years while scoring 62, 49 and 56 on offense.

I thought so. Yes but the past two years those teams where close. This year the injuries have killed Hazard losing there best 2 of there 3 best defensive players early in the season has hurt tremendously and having the other sit out a few games and is still not 100%.
Pikeville will be the favorite again in this match up and be hungry to end the bulldogs season. Hazard has opened the play book a little more in recent weeks and throwing a little more than normal.
I would love to be in attendance but hopefully WYMT will air this one.
Time for Pikeville to get cocky again like they did last year..... Have to play one game at a time!!!!
BlueSky Wrote:Time for Pikeville to get cocky again like they did last year..... Have to play one game at a time!!!!

Don't count on it!
How is Mr Pugh? I seen in one of these threads that he left the game early?
bac2369 Wrote:How is Mr Pugh? I seen in one of these threads that he left the game early?
He's fine. Last I heard.
BlueSky Wrote:Time for Pikeville to get cocky again like they did last year..... Have to play one game at a time!!!!

Confidence and focused. :popcorn:
bac2369 Wrote:How is Mr Pugh? I seen in one of these threads that he left the game early?
Early as in 1st qtr early? Or early as in it was 37-0 early? :biggrin:

Pugh is as healthy as he has been since the Pike County Bowl. At 37-0, I believe they were trying to preserve that.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Early as in 1st qtr early? Or early as in it was 37-0 early? :biggrin:

Pugh is as healthy as he has been since the Pike County Bowl. At 37-0, I believe they were trying to preserve that.
That's the luxury of having multiple weapons at the skill positions. At the same stage as last year, Pugh entered this game with 41 less carries but almost the same number of yards. Mac and staff have done a great job this year spreading it around more, limiting the pounding he and the others have had to take, and made the offense a little harder to game plan against. Battaille's development at QB has played a large part in that success as well. The vertical game has to be respected with him under center, not just the screen game. I hate to just single him out because Dials did a good job too. It's been fun to watch this team grow this year.
PHSForever Wrote:That's the luxury of having multiple weapons at the skill positions. At the same stage as last year, Pugh entered this game with 41 less carries but almost the same number of yards. Mac and staff have done a great job this year spreading it around more, limiting the pounding he and the others have had to take, and made the offense a little harder to game plan against. Battaille's development at QB has played a large part in that success as well. The vertical game has to be respected with him under center, not just the screen game. I hate to just single him out because Dials did a good job too. It's been fun to watch this team grow this year.
So at this time last year he had carried the ball 41 times less than what he has now, but they're spreading it around more?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6