Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 4 State Champs= 3 PRIVATE SCHOOLS again.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Go figure !!!!!
Should have been 3 non-private school's instead of one!
Just wondering what would happen to a school if they chose just not to play in the championship.....
Like saying... NNAAAHHHHH!! we are happy where we are and what we've done..
Deal or No deal...... I think we will take the deal a n d you guys have fun.....
^^^^^ I Love It!!!!!!!!
Don't you think it is time for the good ol boy network did something for the kids? The way the system is now there is not a level playing field for the public school who do not recruit and private school and those who recruit.Those who have some say that this does not happen, but they only want to protect their own little kingdom. When a school adds just a few high quality players it make them better, enough to beat a home town school. Take in point, the Russel and Mercer county game in which a legal addition was made to the number of student available to participate in the game had a profound effect on the game. Anytime you have rules, there is always unforeseen occurrences that are not covered correctly. I don't know how to solve an incident like this one, but the issue of private and public is easy solved, separate playoffs. The recruiting should be addressed by bypassing the khsaa hierarchy.
In pennsylvania the state athletics association has a whole nother playoff system for private schools, so there is a public state champ and private..khsaa needs to think about adopting something like that.
I wish it would happen but it never will, split. I maybe wrong or a fool but the way I see it is something needs to be done. The public schools are not good enough to eductate these children but they are good enough to play against, thats not right. The picked to seperate themselves on the edducation front but want to play the public schools in sports.
I never thought of that! That would be a pretty good idea, but I don't think there are that many private school's in each class to actually have playoffs?
Panther#42 Wrote:I never thought of that! That would be a pretty good idea, but I don't think there are that many private school's in each class to actually have playoffs?

yea does anyone know the numbers of each class???
I will grace the ignorance of this thread when one person in here will tell me how independent (PUBLIC) school districts do not have the same "advantages" as private schools??

Anyone ??

Anyone??

Bueller?
98 Wrote:I will grace the ignorance of this thread when one person in here will tell me how independent (PUBLIC) school districts do not have the same "advantages" as private schools??

Anyone ??

Anyone??

Bueller?
BylawsBylaws
2006-2007 KHSAA HANDBOOK
Bylaw 10. Recruitment
Sec. 1) Foreword

Pupils (both domestic and foreign) at any grade level shall

not be recruited to a member school of the KHSAA for the

purpose of participating in athletics, including recruitment

under the guise of academics.

Sec. 2) Definition

a) Recruiting is defined as an act, on behalf of or for

the benefit of, a school, which attempts to influence a

student to transfer to a member school for the purpose

of participating in athletics. Such also includes influencing

a student to remain at a school. A school official utilizing

an intermediary, such as, but not limited to a peer,

another school employee, a student, a parent or a

citizen, for the purpose of recruiting a student athlete

shall be in noncompliance.

b) An athletic coach or any other member of the school

staff shall not influence a student even if the student,

his/her parents or any intermediary from another school

makes the initial contact. In this situation, a coach or

staff member (paid or unpaid) should immediately refer

the person(s) to the school principal.

c) Influencing a student shall include, but shall not be

limited to the promise or instilling the expectation of

an athletic advantage, playing time, employment of the

student or his/her parents or relatives, housing for the

student or his/her parents, scholarships or financial

aid for which other members of the student body are

not generally eligible, or any other material or athletic

reward for which other members of the student body

are not generally eligible.

Sec. 3) Penalty

Any representative of a member school knowingly allowing

the recruitment of a student for the purpose of participating

in athletics or who should have known of such recruitment

shall be guilty of willful neglect of duty, misconduct, and/or

breach of contract. Such shall apply not only to coaches,

but also to personnel supervising coaches, such as, but

not limited to an athletic director, an assistant principal,

a principal, an assistant superintendent, a superintendent

or a school board member. This regulation shall also apply

to students or their parents.
(Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19

through 43 of this Handbook)
jgrubby Wrote:
BylawsBylaws

2006-2007 KHSAA HANDBOOK

Bylaw 10. Recruitment

Sec. 1) Foreword

Pupils (both domestic and foreign) at any grade level shall

not be recruited to a member school of the KHSAA for the

purpose of participating in athletics, including recruitment

under the guise of academics.

Sec. 2) Definition

a) Recruiting is defined as an act, on behalf of or for

the benefit of, a school, which attempts to influence a

student to transfer to a member school for the purpose

of participating in athletics. Such also includes influencing

a student to remain at a school. A school official utilizing

an intermediary, such as, but not limited to a peer,

another school employee, a student, a parent or a

citizen, for the purpose of recruiting a student athlete

shall be in noncompliance.

b) An athletic coach or any other member of the school

staff shall not influence a student even if the student,

his/her parents or any intermediary from another school

makes the initial contact. In this situation, a coach or

staff member (paid or unpaid) should immediately refer

the person(s) to the school principal.

c) Influencing a student shall include, but shall not be

limited to the promise or instilling the expectation of

an athletic advantage, playing time, employment of the

student or his/her parents or relatives, housing for the

student or his/her parents, scholarships or financial

aid for which other members of the student body are

not generally eligible, or any other material or athletic

reward for which other members of the student body

are not generally eligible.

Sec. 3) Penalty

Any representative of a member school knowingly allowing

the recruitment of a student for the purpose of participating

in athletics or who should have known of such recruitment

shall be guilty of willful neglect of duty, misconduct, and/or

breach of contract. Such shall apply not only to coaches,

but also to personnel supervising coaches, such as, but

not limited to an athletic director, an assistant principal,

a principal, an assistant superintendent, a superintendent

or a school board member. This regulation shall also apply

to students or their parents.

(Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19

through 43 of this Handbook)

Nice try. Neither Public, nor Private schools are permitted to recruit.

So you lose.

Anyone else?
All members of the KHSAA abide by the same set of rules.

If you think that Private schools are permitted to recruit, you're obviously misinformed.

Not only that, you're answer shows you didn't even read my post.

Independent public schools have absolutely no difference from private schools.
i dotn really see an advantage either but i guess they can say the academic level is the reason they choose the school which could be said for any school so really i dont see any problems
i think some ppl use it as an excuse for losing
Panther Thunder Wrote:i think some ppl use it as an excuse for losing
You just hit the nail on the head Panther! :thumpsup:
Belfry dont care we have beaten them anyway!!!!!
Now i do have to say that a certain parent can, for a certain amount of dollars, put there child in a private school! And (The cost can be lessened a great deal by the Coach (If he is in the right part of the Admin to do so!) And a Private school has a much more dedicated service to the Student than a public school has!!! (That means they have more to offer)
Public school folks dont have the money to do that(For the most part)!!! Im not saying that every wealthy parent has a Fantastic athlete!!!, But money plays a role in the whole thing, As far as public school recruiting, Not a chance,,All they have to give is, a Nice facility and Tradition!!
98 Wrote:Nice try. Neither Public, nor Private schools are permitted to recruit.

So you lose.

Anyone else?

Who said the school was the one recruiting?
Hypothetically speaking: Lets say you go for an interview for a job as an Attorney. And you have to give your history of education. Lets say you went to DeVry Law School(Ficticious) and made straight A's. And the person who interviewed before you wanted the job and went to Harvard Law barely passed. Who would you hire?

Layman's terms: You went to a single A school deep in the Appalachian areas of america. You were a great athelete and the grades were decent. No resources, just rely on a paper that comes out every other day, word of mouth, 6 O'clock News at one or two games the whole season. A coach who doesn't know the college recruiting system..(the list goes on)
OR, your at a Private school in a major city and with decents grades...Have the resources to get your name known. What School would you send your kid to? Some don't have that choice. Others would spend every dime to get thier kid into a program like that. One, that has risen to a level of recognition by name alone. Its kinda like a reverse recruitment. They don't have to recruit.

I don't lose! The kids do!
jgrubby Wrote:Hypothetically speaking: Lets say you go for an interview for a job as an Attorney. And you have to give your history of education. Lets say you went to DeVry Law School(Ficticious) and made straight A's. And the person who interviewed before you wanted the job and went to Harvard Law barely passed. Who would you hire?

Layman's terms: You went to a single A school deep in the Appalachian areas of america. You were a great athelete and the grades were decent. No resources, just rely on a paper that comes out every other day, word of mouth, 6 O'clock News at one or two games the whole season. A coach who doesn't know the college recruiting system..(the list goes on)
OR, your at a Private school in a major city and with decents grades...Have the resources to get your name known. What School would you send your kid to? Some don't have that choice. Others would spend every dime to get thier kid into a program like that. One, that has risen to a level of recognition by name alone. Its kinda like a reverse recruitment. They don't have to recruit.

I don't lose! The kids do!

good point if u look at it that way
Public schools are bound by rules that private school don't have to abide with. You can get bent out of shape, but the simple truth is the this is not fair to the children. We need to first eliminate the khsaa board of controls and get a bettter over sight by the citizens.
two color blue Wrote:Public schools are bound by rules that private school don't have to abide with. You can get bent out of shape, but the simple truth is the this is not fair to the children. We need to first eliminate the khsaa board of controls and get a bettter over sight by the citizens.
Name me one rule that private schools do not have to abide by that public schools do and until you do that you are breaking site rules by posting false information.

I'll help you, we all abide by the same set of rules, ALL member schools of the KHSAA do.

Post a correction or find me a rule that you are referring to above. You won't be able to.
How Did Your School Do On Cats Test.
I really don't have a dog in the fight but I think that there is a perception that all programs and schools are equal and that they "abide" by all rules.

Public schools have districts, if you live here you play here. This issue was addressed this past year by setting up boundries.

To say that recruiting doesn't take place is at best Idealist.

Last year 80% of the state's AD's voted for seperate championships, the BOC decided to create a blue ribbon committee to address the issues concerning boundries and recruitment as opposed to having seperate championships. 95% of litigation with the KHSAA concerning elligibility due to transfers.

This would lead one to think that if the AD's from over 3/4 of the schools think that there is an issue, then there could be something going on.

Im guessing that OJ Mayo went from Huntington to Rose Hill because they had a great fine arts program, and then tranfered Ohio to improve his social studies skills.
Private schools do have an advantage over public schools. THEY CAN RECRUIT THEIR PLAYERS and public schools cannot. Not saying anything bad about the private schools out there because they have excellent football programs most of the time like NewCath or Trinity, but the fact of the matter is that they do have an advantage over the publics because they are allowed to recruit. If public schools were allowed to recruit then it would be a much more level playing field.
dfblackcat53 Wrote:In pennsylvania the state athletics association has a whole nother playoff system for private schools, so there is a public state champ and private..khsaa needs to think about adopting something like that.

Yeah I totally agree. Would be alot more fair to the public schools b/c they cant go out and recruit like the big private schools can.
Doc Holliday Wrote:I really don't have a dog in the fight but I think that there is a perception that all programs and schools are equal and that they "abide" by all rules.

Public schools have districts, if you live here you play here. This issue was addressed this past year by setting up boundries.

To say that recruiting doesn't take place is at best Idealist.

Last year 80% of the state's AD's voted for seperate championships, the BOC decided to create a blue ribbon committee to address the issues concerning boundries and recruitment as opposed to having seperate championships. 95% of litigation with the KHSAA concerning elligibility due to transfers.

This would lead one to think that if the AD's from over 3/4 of the schools think that there is an issue, then there could be something going on.

Im guessing that OJ Mayo went from Huntington to Rose Hill because they had a great fine arts program, and then tranfered Ohio to improve his social studies skills.

Ok, I didn't want to bring him into this, being in basketball, but isn't thier a rule about 7th graders being aloud to play in varsity in public schools?
None-the-less, he did start for Rose Hill as a 7th Grader.
-STAT- Wrote:Yeah I totally agree. Would be alot more fair to the public schools b/c they cant go out and recruit like the big private schools can.
Stat, they hide in the fact that they call it recruitment for acedemic purposes. Believe it or not it does happen. Put it to you this way, how many acedemic awards had Rose Hill recieved in the last 10 years?( ie: Governors Cup etc....)
Money Breeds Money.
Yes, that is now in affect, they cannot participate for one year if they transfer.

jgrubby Wrote:Ok, I didn't want to bring him into this, being in basketball, but isn't thier a rule about 7th graders being aloud to play in varsity in public schools?
None-the-less, he did start for Rose Hill as a 7th Grader.
Pages: 1 2 3