Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 4 State Champs= 3 PRIVATE SCHOOLS again.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We all know that some kids go to private schools not for academics but for sports. If they weren't that athletic they wouldn't be at these private schools. Why do some kids pick a private high school because they don't agree with the education that a public school gives them. Then they graduate and go to public university and set by the side of the same students they seperated themselves from. graduate college with those same kids. Most of these kids choose these private schools for athletics not academics.
Benchwarmer Wrote:We all know that some kids go to private schools not for academics but for sports. If they weren't that athletic they wouldn't be at these private schools. Why do some kids pick a private high school because they don't agree with the education that a public school gives them. Then they graduate and go to public university and set by the side of the same students they seperated themselves from. graduate college with those same kids. Most of these kids choose these private schools for athletics not academics.

Don't think its the kids that choose most of the time. Its the Parents who see dollar signs if the kid succeds in that program.
(NOT GRADES BUT SPORTS).Usually, the ones who really cannot afford it and find special ways to make it. Case and point look at OJ Mayo. Look where he is right now. With another kid who is nationally know for B-Ball. I heard they were ranked fifth in the nation. GO FIGURE!
So my question is...Is it a cover up to make 6A classes to get the spotlight off of Private schools?
jgrubby Wrote:So my question is...Is it a cover up to make 6A classes to get the spotlight off of Private schools?

The boc were presented with a great opportunity to do what is right for the children and they failed. This six classes is just something to take the spotlight off the real problem. PRIVATE SCHOOLS AND RECRUITING. All this will accomplish is to cost school more money in increased travel. Another failure by the good ol boy network.
So much cluelessness, not enough time in the world to try and fight it...

Soon enough we will create enough classes and seperate enough that you all can win.

No one has still answered my original question.

Also, if you Public school lovers are crying about districts. Why are those there? The state doesn't set them. If you don't like the district boudaries take them away, they are set by your district, not the state.
98 Wrote:So much cluelessness, not enough time in the world to try and fight it...

Soon enough we will create enough classes and seperate enough that you all can win.

Also, if you Public school lovers are crying about districts. Why are those there? The state doesn't set them. If you don't like the district boudaries take them away, they are set by your district, not the state.

First, what makes you think its easy to prove? We know it happens. Its too obvious. Second; You were the first to be so defensive and screamed the loudest, so what is it that you have to prove to us so convincingly that we are wrong? With such strong words as ignorance, surely you jest in the fact that you have stooped to this level to prove your worthiness as a sports critic. How, about an approach that is in regards to sportsmanship and competitiveness and not degrading. IMO, it sounds like you don't get the last word at home unless you are on here? Guess we don't get to be blessed with your wisdom until you hear what we really want to say about Private schools and how it has really affected the sports of so many communties. Private Schools do not depend on taxes to survive, they depend on thier tuition and extra contrabutions.

In other words I don't think you can change the way I think. But feel free to bless my ignorance.
jgrubby Wrote:First, what makes you think its easy to prove? We know it happens. Its too obvious. Second; You were the first to be so defensive and screamed the loudest, so what is it that you have to prove to us so convincingly that we are wrong? With such strong words as ignorance, surely you jest in the fact that you have stooped to this level to prove your worthiness as a sports critic. How, about an approach that is in regards to sportsmanship and competitiveness and not degrading. IMO, it sounds like you don't get the last word at home unless you are on here? Guess we don't get to be blessed with your wisdom until you hear what we really want to say about Private schools and how it has really affected the sports of so many communties. Private Schools do not depend on taxes to survive, they depend on thier tuition and extra contrabutions.

In other words I don't think you can change the way I think. But feel free to bless my ignorance.
You, like the others, didn't answer any of the things I said above.

I'll help you boys out. Independent public school districts can take students from anywhere, charge tuition and still get tax money, what makes them ANY different from private schools?
98 Wrote:You, like the others, didn't answer any of the things I said above.

I'll help you boys out. Independent public school districts can take students from anywhere, charge tuition and still get tax money, what makes them ANY different from private schools?

Sorry Charlie, ind. School districts are controlled by the great KDE and have boundaries. If a child attends an ind. school district and lives in in another system, then for the ind. district to get ada the other district must agree .
About all the other rules set by the KDE that private schools do not have to adhere. Take a little time and look at the many rules the public must follow. Again, what was your schools cats scores?
two color blue Wrote:Sorry Charlie, ind. School districts are controlled by the great KDE and have boundaries. If a child attends an ind. school district and lives in in another system, then for the ind. district to get ada the other district must agree .
About all the other rules set by the KDE that private schools do not have to adhere. Take a little time and look at the many rules the public must follow. Again, what was your schools cats scores?
The KDE does nto set those boundaries.

Jefferson County has no boundaries. They have open enrollment anywhere.

Explain how they get away with it.
two color blue Wrote:ind. School districts are controlled by the great KDE and have boundaries
If they have boundaries, they set them. Not the KDE.
98 Wrote:If they have boundaries, they set them. Not the KDE.

I did not say that the KDE set boundaries, I know that the local school board set boundaries, but do not have to set them and can have open enrollment if they wish. Publis districts must abide by KDE rules and reg. Private are free to do as they please, pretty much.
I tried to edit my 2:35 post, but could not so I will add this. District boundaries are set by the boundaries of the entity. This is pretty much the rule, but sometimes areas of a county system are in a city system and some areas of a city may be in a county system. This is probably set by the legislature in most part. Some disputes are settled by the KDE. Some examples are a part of perry county is in the Hazard school district and some annexed area of Pikeville city limits are in the county system.
we are going to see this happin more often than not. private schools have a obvious uperhand
Somerset_Football Wrote:Private schools do have an advantage over public schools. THEY CAN RECRUIT THEIR PLAYERS and public schools cannot. Not saying anything bad about the private schools out there because they have excellent football programs most of the time like NewCath or Trinity, but the fact of the matter is that they do have an advantage over the publics because they are allowed to recruit. If public schools were allowed to recruit then it would be a much more level playing field.
That is a big advantage
98 Wrote:I will grace the ignorance of this thread when one person in here will tell me how independent (PUBLIC) school districts do not have the same "advantages" as private schools??

Anyone ??

Anyone??

Bueller?

98 has a point. Who do you think had the advatage in the Mercer vs. O. Cath. game, the independent or the private school? I'd say Merger Co.
I just don't consider Merger Co. being on a level playing field with the other public schools.
It's not just the private schools that recruit, public schools do it to, everyone does, they just don't get the outcomeas much, I think that having private v.s. public schools play is great, it makes the public want to work harder at trying to beat the ones are who supopsedly better. But I have no problem with independent schools, if I had a kid I would send him to one, because traditonally it is better.
In the last two years private schools have won 6 out of the 8 championships. In the last two years there have been 8 private schools out 16 teams playing for state championships. There only what 40 provate schools in the state and not that many play football. Do private schools have an advantage? That is a big yesssssss. If you can't see that they do you are either blind or in denial.
I don't believe it should matter. If you have a good team you should be ready to play anyone, public or private. I'm not gonna go into recruting or any of that because I don't know anything about the things that everyone is going on about and I don't argue about things I know nothing about. But I do know this..if I was on a team and won a state championship I would wanna know that I was on the best team in the state and that we beat the 2nd best team to win. I would wanna be on top of the mountain by myself. If they seperate the public and private schools to make seperate champions it would make me feel like I'm not on the best team in the state. Belfry defeated a private school twice in the state championship game and it was a wonderful feeling. If we would've only beatin a public team and then told we couldn't play the private schools because they were too good..it just woulda left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't like the feeling of winning a state championship and then told I won against a public school but could not have beatin whoever would win the AA private school championship. If I win the championship I wanna be the only one. The best.
Benchwarmer Wrote:In the last two years private schools have won 6 out of the 8 championships. In the last two years there have been 8 private schools out 16 teams playing for state championships. There only what 40 provate schools in the state and not that many play football. Do private schools have an advantage? That is a big yesssssss. If you can't see that they do you are either blind or in denial.

Number of public schools (Does not include dependent districts Ft. Campbell and Ft. Knox, alternative schools or the Kentucky School for the Deaf and Kentucky School for the Blind)

Number of private schools (Only those that go to the 12th grade)

*cited from the ky dept. of education*
Heres more to show you something is wrong, privates have an advantage.
Baseball last 5 years, Three states championships for private schools
Fast pitch softball last five years- two state championships for private
slow pitch softball last five years-four state championships for private
Boys Basketball last five years-one state championship for private
Girls Basketball last five years-five state champioships
Cross Country Boys last five years 1A schools five championships private
2A schools two champ private
3A schools two championships private
Cross Country Girls last five years 1A schools three champioships private
2A Schools No private
3A Schools three champioships private
Boys soccer last five years three champioships for private
Girls soccer last five years three champioships for private
Boys swimming private schools have won 18 state champioships in a row
Girls swimming in the last 27 years privates have won 23 state championships
tennis boys last five years private four state championships
Tennis girls last five years private three state championships
Boys Track last five years 3A private four state Championships
2A private none
1A private one state championship
Girls Track last five years 3A private two champioships
2A private none
1A private four state championships
Golf Boys Private schools have won the champioships the last five years in a row
Golf Girls One state champioship in last five years.
Volleyball was intoduced in 1979 26 years. Private schools have won all 26 of them.

With only a few private schools in this state, they have an advantage over public schools. Numbers don't lie.
Football 4A last five years private five champioships
3A last five years private two champioships
2A last five years private none
1A last five years private two champioships
Also, Combine all the possible state champions in all sports for the last five years. Boys have won 45 champioships out of 80
Girls have won 44 champioships out of 70
It is left up to each county.

But the counties can make an agreement with a surrounding Co. to accept students who live just across a county line, most counties in east ky do this. This agreement allows the dist to receives those state funds when a child goes to a neighboring Co.

The county that I live in and work in, does have boundries and if a child "transfers" then they have to get the stamp of approval from the KHSAA for a change.

98 Wrote:The KDE does nto set those boundaries.

Jefferson County has no boundaries. They have open enrollment anywhere.

Explain how they get away with it.
Private schools defetitnely have advantages over public high schools in kentucky. They can not recruit players, but can "recruit" students to come to their schools and give them scholarships. THIS may not be illegal by khsaa, but it is defititnely not fair.
I have a rather unique outlook on this subject. 1) I move from Ohio (public schools) to KY in 02. I researched all the schools in the area both public and private and determined that Ashland and Russell had the best academic schhols. At the same time, I won't lie, I paid attention to the sports and music programs, how the fans behaved at games, and lastly looked at the overall size of the school. I then found a house in the district that I felt was the best fit for all five of my children In 05 I moved to Louisville, went through the same exercise and chose private schools. When it was clear that 3 of my five children were having trouble adjusting to the academic/social/overall experience of the private schools, I chose to move 5 miles to a public school district that I considered good enough for my three children. By the way, all my children now attend a public school (Russell) because the tuition and lifestyle wasn't what I wanted in Louisville. My point is twofold. #1) Life is not fair. Corporations merge/improve/recruit top talent all the time. In doing so, they force their competition to evolve. Maybe, we should spend less time trying to create a level playing field and actually challenge ourselves to raise our standard of expectation to equal that of the private schools. #2) We all have a choice. Maybe we have to send our kids to a nearby district or move. If it's that important to you, you'll find a way. OR, you'll become more involved in your school to make it better.

I just don't agree with saying something is not fair and trying to create so many champions that eventually they mean nothing. I think the KHSAA did a good job of taking the pure numbers advantage away by saying classes would be determined by the number of boys in a school. I also think they did a good job by establishing boundaries. Thay won't stop recruiting but that's another long post.....
Listen to the man ^^^^^ He knows.
I think the rules in the classroom at private schools help them on and off the field it helps them be more disepline.
I think they have different rules about when they can practice too.( they can stay later or come in on saturdays)
I feel that we dont need seperate championships for public or private.....it may not be fair but that just raises the level of competition.. without these private schools there would be no reason to set higher goals...you play to be the best and beat the best...if that school "recruits" and has good players and your a public school and you win against them would you be complaining then???i dont think anyone would say anything about it then......the playing field is level....just they can get sometimes better players than what public schools can keep around....
Doc Holliday Wrote:Yes, that is now in affect, they cannot participate for one year if they transfer.

Unless they move into the schools area.
98 Wrote:So much cluelessness, not enough time in the world to try and fight it...

sorry i for one don't think that you all need to seperate cause this public school beat a privite school last year Russell 27-Ace's 14 thank you all have a great day
Pages: 1 2 3