Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Whitley Co 61 Corbin 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Corbin...
Close game!! Congratulations Whitley County!!
The 50th is going to be a great district tournament.
Congrats to Whitley.
Just may have to watch the 50th Dist tourney this year.
Was no upset the 50th will send A team to Rupp this year. Good job Whitley
50th will not send a team to rupp...sorry
Nice win for the Colonels, but the win that will really count will be the first game of the 50th district, regardless of who it's against. I think I'll have to check that first round out!
Congrats on an exciting game by both teams!!!

I thought Corbin gave Whitley problems early with their defense, but Whitley adjusted and Corbin never adjusted to Whitley once they adjusted. Corbin seemed to start the 1st and 3rd quarters better than Whitley but Whitley finished every quarter better. Whitley looked confident and played well, but not great. Probably have not played a really good game in a while, but they find ways to win. Corbin had a chaser on Johnson but why? Or course you could chase Sasko or Crisologo or Barton or Woods and you still might be cutting your own throat. Corbin has some good kids who need to get more shots than they are getting and it showed tonight.

Another streak broken tonight.......more to come.
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:Congrats on an exciting game by both teams!!!

I thought Corbin gave Whitley problems early with their defense, but Whitley adjusted and Corbin never adjusted to Whitley once they adjusted. Corbin seemed to start the 1st and 3rd quarters better than Whitley but Whitley finished every quarter better. Whitley looked confident and played well, but not great. Probably have not played a really good game in a while, but they find ways to win. Corbin had a chaser on Johnson but why? Or course you could chase Sasko or Crisologo or Barton or Woods and you still might be cutting your own throat. Corbin has some good kids who need to get more shots than they are getting and it showed tonight.

Another streak broken tonight.......more to come.
What streak was broken?
Flash154 Wrote:What streak was broken?

20 year winning streak....I guess :igiveup:
It had been since 1994/95 since Whitley had won at Corbin.
Andrew Taylor didn't play the last 3 quarters of this game that was big. Whitley plays hard and goes after every ball and plays the best team ball of any 50th district team. South Laurel will be a hard out on their home floor in the district tournament. Williamsburg is the real deal and should make a great run in All A and will be a contender for the district and region. The shame will be 2 of these teams from the 50th will not make the region when all 4 deserve to be in the region.
Every team in this district is pretty dang good.

Williamsburg 12-0
Whitley 13-5
Corbin 10-6
South 9-6

44-17 combined records.....and against some good teams.......
What happened with the Taylor kid getting benched after the 1st qtr? Whitley plays very hard and when they are knocking down 3's, they can beat anyone in the 13th region!
BluegrassCat Wrote:What happened with the Taylor kid getting benched after the 1st qtr? Whitley plays very hard and when they are knocking down 3's, they can beat anyone in the 13th region!
No clue. That is the second game he was benched for no apparent reason. I know his parents were very upset. Coach P is playing with fire. I was very impressed with Whitley's coach and really like the way he coached his team instead of arguing every call with the officials.
BluegrassCat Wrote:What happened with the Taylor kid getting benched after the 1st qtr? Whitley plays very hard and when they are knocking down 3's, they can beat anyone in the 13th region!

Coach P. took him out with about a minute left in the 1Q and decided not to put him back in.
He called it a coaching decision on his post game interview. Curious.....
Whitley breaks a 20 year streak last year by beating Corbin at home and then breaks it this year by beating Corbin at Corbin.

My how things have changed. I must admit I offer my apologies to Overbey. I never thought he would have teams competing for district titles, but has used the school size to his advantage. Ive watched a dozen coaches over the past 20 years come to Whitley and fail horribly, even if they had better players. Whitley hires a girls assistant coach and hes turning the entire program around in less than 3 years. Its truly amazing what hes already accomplished.

Best coach Whitley has had since Prewitt and nobody seen it coming. If im not mistaken, the last teams to beat corbin in that 94/95 year was the year Siler, Powers, etc were all playing. I was still in elementary school at the time, almost in middle school. They drubbed Corbin twice that year and then lost in the district to Corbin if im not mistaken.

Anywho, congrats Whitley. Big showdown with Wburg looming.
To the best of my knowledge, Wburg and Whitley have never went to the region in the same year. Its very possible this year, but im afraid its so evenly matched that anyone could come out of this district.
jamesdeane Wrote:No clue. That is the second game he was benched for no apparent reason. I know his parents were very upset. Coach P is playing with fire. I was very impressed with Whitley's coach and really like the way he coached his team instead of arguing every call with the officials.

He's welcome at Whitley. We wont bench him :biggrin:
Dietpepsidrinker Wrote:He called it a coaching decision on his post game interview. Curious.....

There was a good reason. Tony is an excellent coach and wouldn't bench someone for nothing especially a big district game at home.
I dont know the reason for the benching but there had to be one. And if the kid is not doing what the coach asks then its deserved. I personaly think that theres not many coaches around who has enough...you know ...to bench there star. I wish it would happen more often if the kids deserve it.
Whitley has been there all year, that was no upset.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:He's welcome at Whitley. We wont bench him :biggrin:
Williamsburg will take him.
Yes they would
Very good BB player.
Flash154 Wrote:Williamsburg will take him.

There full on salary cap until 2020. To many big contracts the past two years :biggrin:
Exciting game win Whitley county keep em coming
brokenarrow Wrote:i dont know the reason for the benching but there had to be one. And if the kid is not doing what the coach asks then its deserved. I personaly think that theres not many coaches around who has enough...you know ...to bench there star. I wish it would happen more often if the kids deserve it.

rumor has it that the taylor kid said something to coach p and that was the reason for his benching. If that was the case, then i strongly support what coach p did. No one kid is bigger than your program and sometimes tough actions have to be done to send a message even if its your best player. No doubt the taylor kid can play and sometimes young guys lose focus with frustration. It happens all the time but i'm sure coach p will handle it and take it from there. Again, this is a rumor of what i heard happened.....not saying it as factual.
Corbin's AD emailed Whitley's AD before the game to let him know that Whitley's pep section would have to sit in the upper deck. They didn't make Williamsburg's kids sit up there. Strange...
Pages: 1 2