Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County hires Justin Combs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Per Manchester Enterprise. Justin Combs new Tiger football coach. Good luck Coach Combs
Congrats to Coach Combs!
Congrats Justin !!! I know you will do welll!:flame:
Good luck Coach Combs!!

You sure need to do the Jackets proud!!!
what school was he at. and has he ever been a head coach before
I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Combs yesterday and was impressed. I know one thing, he's ready to go to work!
The Eagle has landed Wrote:what school was he at. and has he ever been a head coach before
Nope. no head coaching exp. Super has to get the budget under control couldnt afford to create a teaching position .But since Combs has background in teaching job that is already available and he does have exp. as an assistant coach then this was a nobrainer .Good luck coach and congratulations.
Kind of a let down from the early names, if they were going to go inexperienced route, wished it would have been Eddie, maybe he comes on as an assistant.
I was pulling for him all along. Kid was the head coach in two playoff games at Pike Central. Beat Breathitt at Breathitt then later lost to Belfry in the playoffs. This was a good move. He was ready to be a head coach and jumped out at Clay. One if not the only coach that applied that has a state title. Doesn't matter if it was as a player. He still has that championship mindset and will settle for nothing less. He will change the program of kill himself trying. Good call Clay. Good luck Coach Combs. Always be a bobcat at heart.
What school? What experience does he have?
Clay hired an assistant coach at Magoffin County.... That tells me all I need to know about the interest in the job from a top quality candidate level.
Coached at breathitt for 3 years as defensive coach then went to pike central. Could have went about anywhere this past season but chose magoffin because him and McCoy were good friends and he needed the help. Great kid from a championship background. Why dog magoffin when they beat breathitt and Clay didn't.
Looking forward to fresh new start with Coach Combs. It's done and now over and we all have to support him and the team for the program to work and I am confident it will work. He has a lot of good people behind him. A new day in tiger town.
Don't understand that one but it's not surprising I would have thought we could have got someone with a little more exp , should have went eddy if we wasn't going to get someone with head coaching exp. I'm sure asst coaches have already been picked also any word? good luck cc
Because it's Magoffin... Success or lack thereof is not measured by who has or has not beaten Breathitt County, They can't run a school district by themselves over there.
He will put heart into his players and make them believe. He's just that way. But I know him personally. He's an outsider to you guys. Give him a chance and you will see a rise in the program in a few years. Just give him a chance and have his back.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Because it's Magoffin... Success or lack thereof is not measured by who has or has not beaten Breathitt County, They can't run a school district by themselves over there.

:biglmao:
good luck to coach combs and you clay co boys need to get behind him.
So he's only been at it 4-5 years? I though the administration made a statement about experienced coach and possibly head coaching experience in turning programs around? Talking about putting a foot ankle deep in their mouth on that one. No offense to Coach Combs in sure he's a good guy but I'd be curious to see who else interviewed. Either way Good Luck!
Coach Combs was hired as the middle school coach in Breathitt in June of 2013, how did he do there? Any idea of his record?
Gotta start somewhere fellas. Holcomb assisted for only 4 years then was a head man.
DarthVader Wrote:So he's only been at it 4-5 years? I though the administration made a statement about experienced coach and possibly head coaching experience in turning programs around? Talking about putting a foot ankle deep in their mouth on that one. No offense to Coach Combs in sure he's a good guy but I'd be curious to see who else interviewed. Either way Good Luck!

If they chose a defensive guy who gave up 49 to Breathitt, after nearly a month of applications reviews. I wonder who they chose not to interview. I know Clay gave up 62 against Breathitt, so before you all go to telling me about it, that's why we are hiring. Hope it all works out but I feel the committee just hired someone they can manipulate.
Congratulations Justin Combs. :welcome: to Clay County.
What did u expect? This is the 2nd coach hired in a row with no experience worth mentioning, atleast ed and coach e was one of us. We got a sup from corbin and a coach from breathitt. That might be the problem ya think? I give it two seasons but I hope im wrong clay county needs to win but we got too many from a certain group of roundmen that want the limelight on them instead of the kids. Combs could prolly be a good coach but hes in over his head and will be ate up by those said men, Figuratively maybe literally..
I had the opportunity to work with Coach Combs this year. There is no doubt Clay County hired a great guy, and coach. He knows defense. He helped Magoffin win their first ever district title. His defensive knowledge helped this team win even after the team lost it's quarterback and top running back. He will make Clay County proud. There is no doubt that Magoffin hates to lose him.
Congrats to Coach Combs and Clay County.

As for those of you who are dissapointed, a couple things from someone who lives and has roots in a small community, who has also been around the game as a player and/or coach in some capacity until recently.

1) This is a dieing profession. As I stated in another thread, there has/is already been 24 schools across our state looking to find a new HFC so far this year and not a single one of them are due to coaches leaving for other coaching positions. Finding qualified people who WANT to coach HS Football in KY is hard enough just in and of itself.

2) It's Manchester/Clay County. Look around you. (Again, small town guy here, so let's not get in a tiz). How many proven coaches are going to uproot there families to come there, especially with no real tradition to speak of? Not many (or any from the sounds of who didn't apply).

Get behind Coach Combs and TOGETHER, see what can be done?! Sounds like a hell of an idea from the outside looking in.
Doing a little research, Combs was indeed a middle school football coach at Sebastian in 2013, I guess he was coaching at PCC and SMS at the same time. How did he end up back at Breathitt coaching baseball while he was supposed to be coaching Football at PCC? Someone said he was "forced" to coach baseball at breathitt.. how was he forced if he was working in pike county? Confusing to say the least. If a guy is getting forced to do something by administration sounds like you might be spot on Bird dog with Clay hiring somebody that can be manipulated.
Why do people get on here and continuously say Clay's superintendent is from Corbin? Amon Couch graduated from CLAY COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL!
Collins, Holcomb, Chapman, Gross and Noble were the only coaches I saw listed on the Breathitt County varsity roster going into the season in 2011. I thought combs was the defensive coordinator from 2010-2012, must have forgot him on that list.
Congratulations Justin! Wishing you great success....but most of all....respect and peace!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7