Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County hires Justin Combs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D coordinator may be coming from Belfry!!!!not for certain but that's who Combs is meeting up with tomorrow.
Tiger eye I do agree with you to a certain extent. I know at pike central the defense didn't improve but the schedule was brutal. Henry Clay in game 1 who averaged 50 points a game in 6A, then you had Williamsburg who averaged about 50 a game, belfry who averaged around 48 points a game. I see where your comin from. But in some games he helped the defense find a way to stop teams enough to win the game. Held Lawrence to 20 points at PC. Held Pburg to a lower average than usual. He finds ways. Sometimes it's Jimmy's and joes and not X s and O s. Thacker is suppose to be a big defense guy and a pike central this year with a weaker schedule gave up just as many points and didn't play the regional finals game. I understand you and where your coming from. At magoffin he had what 2 athletes. Hard to win with 2 athletes but he found ways to stop people enough. Held Lawrence to 28 points in a playoff when they were averaging 48. Stats are something I never really look at. I look at how well they motivate and make the kids believe that they can win every game even though they may lose by 40. That's what I look at. But again I agree with you in some aspects but he helped find ways to win.
I think it's a great hire!! He needs great people around him which they are in Clay county!!
Football in Clay Is getting exciting again. Just heard a Big Press conference and meet and greet is planned. Also gonna introduce him to the crowd at ballgame tomorrow night.
Hearing so many good things happening. Gotta chance to talk to him and he is perfect and has a lot plans for our program. Has a lot of ideas to get community and parents involved in program. Big change.
Clay Co. deserves to have A good football program, I believe this is A good start.
IMO this is about as good a hire as they could have made. There's no big name coaches wanting to come here. At least Combs seems like he wants to be here and build a program.
Really cant believe they didnt hire Tim Shickell.. Kids love him at LC.. Knows football front and back. Lives in Clay Co. a Clay football hero.... Just really beyond me. For a guy who gave his all to Clay Co., they've sure pissed on him, more than once..
It's hard to hire someone when you check references and they don't really refer the person. Your hiring more than a coach, your hiring a teacher too. He is a great man but clay would have eaten him alive. Too nice a guy.
The man best for the job was hired so let's all get behind him and make this year a great one to be a tiger fan.
I think people are more excited now than they have been in a long time.
Sounds like a great start!! Good luck Tigers!!
TheTigersEye Wrote:Thats exactly the things I am saying Bossman, look at who he is "Highly Recommended" by:
Mike Holcombs - His Former Coach, Justin Haddix - Went to High School with him, Dudley Hilton - lived in Breathitt for 10 years or so and coached Holcomb and Chapman in school and probably several of the kids family members, John Paul Chapman - another of his high school coaches.

Not to mention that Dudley and Holcomb are so well connected they could get a few other guys to call, The guy is a "rising star" but he's been to three different school districts in 3 years.

This guy fits non of what Mr. Couch said he was looking for in his press releases.

Apparently, he was hired as a Coordinator at Breathitt with 0 years of experience, only thing is people in Breathitt have no clue about him being the DC in 2011 right in the middle of his tenure. Breathitt Defense showed no improvement under his watch, Pike Central Defense got worse, Magoffin County Defense improved by 2 points per game average. The guy has been coaching for I guess 5 years, has show 0 marked improvement on any team he has coached on looking at the Before Combs and After Combs statistics and is considered a rising star HOW?

I am sorry guys, he may be a football god but FACTS and STATISTICS just don't back it up, Which is what I am basing my opinion on. Just his bunch of his homeboys online back him up, and I know bobcatsfan is going to get all tore up at me but thats okay. People get all upset when you pull out facts, and your opinion differs from theirs. I am not trying to dog your guy at all, he may be great, but facts don't back up this hire. The only positive he can show on his coaching tenure is that he improved Magoffins D by 2 pts a game from 2013 to 2014.
This is a rising star?
TrueTigerfan Wrote:It's hard to hire someone when you check references and they don't really refer the person. Your hiring more than a coach, your hiring a teacher too. He is a great man but clay would have eaten him alive. Too nice a guy.
The man best for the job was hired so let's all get behind him and make this year a great one to be a tiger fan.
I think people are more excited now than they have been in a long time.

SMH, man, I am glad this was the criteria used to determine coaching ability, I was almost scared they were going to hire based on experience, a plan, a knowledge of the game etc. Too nice of a guy, lol, it's coaching high school football, not joining the NWO and Hollywood Hogan Brother, a good guy can still have success. The last guy was too mean and Shick is too nice, I've heard it all. I wonder if some of you guys read what you type before pressing enter. You won't find a nicer guy than the basketball coach and he's doing a heck of a job. From what I hear there was 0 references checked from the IRON SHICK, no call for an interview, no call to say we aren't considering you etc. kinda bad way to do a guy like Shick.
Coach them young men up
Awesome turnout tonight to welcome the new coach. It was so nice to have that many people supporting this new program. Boy it was sure a nice set up food and everything.
Shick wouldn't have been a bad hire but again you fellas are griping because combs was a coordinator with no head coaching experience. Has shick been a head guy anywhere. I think Combs has already met with some guys putting his freshman and JV in a conference. So he's working hard right now to get things going. Combs is a good guy too. He's already got the playbooks done and weight program in place. I think you've got a guy that will fight like he** to get the program going. Just needs your backing. I know there are always those people that wanted someone else. I wanted John Chapman at Breathitt besides Kyle Moore. But I back Moore because he is the head man. Kyle does a wonderful job with those kids. Their record doesn't show it but the talent is down here right now. Just get behind him and good thing are liable to happen. I know some assistants and some are from Clay and some are not. You guys have gained a tigers fan here. Just until you play breathitt.
Anyone know the schedule yet?
He was actually recommended by Mark Dixon at Hazard and Phillip Haywood also. Guess you forgot to mention that tiger eye. You also forgot to mention he is 1-1 as a head coach actually if you want to get fact technical. 1 win at Breathitt 26-20 in 13 playoffs when chapman was ejected early in 1st quarter and loss at Belfry 43-6. If you want to get technical. Just saying. Still love ya tho buddy. We can be friends...lol
DarthVader Wrote:I would like to know how Breathitt forced him to coach Baseball if he was working at Pike County Central? I know he's your guy man but come on, inquiring minds want to know.

He was employed at PC and being forced to coach baseball at Breathitt. Hmmm that explains why he never showed up to do his teaching job at PC. He was only part-time, I guess, or else he thought he was.

Good Luck, CC got themselves a real wiener, just don't ask him for the truth or to do his job as a teacher. You won't get it either. And I hope CC don't think that he'll be moving to that community, think again....LOL. He has worn that tale out.
Oldtiger Wrote:Nope we're keeping him,

I spoke with a couple committee members last night at the WYMT and Combs blew them away in the interview process, furthermore he wants to move to Clay County and become a member of our community. They said some of the other applicants had no intention of moving to Clay, didn't even have teaching credentials, had no current experience as a football coach, or they had so many foolish demands you'd have thought they were being interviewd for the Bengals job. The committee members said not a single negative word or implication of an issue could be found in the vetting process of Coach Combs, everyone spoke with confirmed his character and work ethic when it comes to his life, teaching and coaching. I sure wouldn't want anybody to get in my past and start digging around looking for a speck of dirt. HA

Everyone needs to understand at this point in time Clay County has a tiny handful of individuals who are stinging from the dismissal of the previous staff, and will say or do anything to diminish the significants of this hire which is completely understandable. These are the same individuals who were sure the committee would hire from within the infamous Clay County Good Old Boy Network. The committee was made of an eclectic group of individuals. I never dreamed in a million years those guys would end up on the same page. I figured it'd be a war; each member with his own agenda, but they chose Coach Combs in a unanimous decision, which to me was the most miraculous aspect of this whole process.

Oh, how funny. You will live to eat the first sentence of your post. Interview and moving.....LOL:hilarious:
Spuds Wrote:He was employed at PC and being forced to coach baseball at Breathitt. Hmmm that explains why he never showed up to do his teaching job at PC. He was only part-time, I guess, or else he thought he was.

Good Luck, CC got themselves a real wiener, just don't ask him for the truth or to do his job as a teacher. You won't get it either. And I hope CC don't think that he'll be moving to that community, think again....LOL. He has worn that tale out.

You'll get ran out of this thread and nasty private messages talking like that here man. Lol
bobcatsfan Wrote:He was actually recommended by Mark Dixon at Hazard and Phillip Haywood also. Guess you forgot to mention that tiger eye. You also forgot to mention he is 1-1 as a head coach actually if you want to get fact technical. 1 win at Breathitt 26-20 in 13 playoffs when chapman was ejected early in 1st quarter and loss at Belfry 43-6. If you want to get technical. Just saying. Still love ya tho buddy. We can be friends...lol

It's all in good fun! I'll eat my crow if need be!
TrueTigerfan Wrote:Awesome turnout tonight to welcome the new coach. It was so nice to have that many people supporting this new program. Boy it was sure a nice set up food and everything.

All anyone must do in order to excite TrueTigerfan is set up a food buffet!!

Confusednicker:
Spuds Wrote:He was employed at PC and being forced to coach baseball at Breathitt. Hmmm that explains why he never showed up to do his teaching job at PC. He was only part-time, I guess, or else he thought he was.

listen you people on here talking about teaching and all that crap lets get real here no head coach gets fired because of his teaching so knock that crap off!!!!!! you want a head ball coach or an scientist? if he was a great teacher and bad football coach you would fire his butt in a heart beat, BUT if he was a bad teacher and won 10 games he would be the greatest thing since sliced bread so ENOUGH WITH THE TEACHING CRAP that some of you holier than thou on here are saying. GET BEHIND THE GUY AND GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!! and don't come back with some bs about teaching and all that, the day you keep a head coach that wins 4 games in 3 years but is the best teacher in the building THEN YOU CAN TALK THAT SMACK!!!! I have 2 friends that are head coaches and they chase there tales 16 hours a day with ball much less having to teach to. until you have been a head coach you have no idea what it takes so knock the crap off.
In all honesty, whether you like Combs or not, doesn't matter. If the guy you wanted as head coach was hired or not, doesn't matter.

The fact is that Justin Combs is the new head coach of the Clay County Tigers. You have one of two options......1) Get behind him and support him and the kids or 2) Don't get behind him and support the kids.

If you're smart, you will support this program 110% because your efforts as parents and/or fans WILL have a trickle down effect to your local high school and the players on the team. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't support your local high school and ultimately the kids involved, then you really aren't worth a damn.

You can always get shed of a coach if he isn't working out, but at least give him an opportunity. Sounds to me as if he has already started trying to improve the system, and work on his football program.

Personally, I hope he turns Clay County into a power house in football!! The kids who go through the training and are dedicated in this sport deserve no less.

JMO
Granny bear I will see you at Harlan county in week 1 I believe is what justin told me. I may have the weeks messed up. Week 0 is Rowan and week 1 is Harlan so week 1 game may be a rough one for the young coach. Spuds actually he is moving. It will be closer to the London area but it is only 15 minutes away. Started the looking process. His wife actually has a place picked out already but he has to finish out his contract at magoffin. Sounds to me like your another hater. Just keep hating. Adds fuel to his fire. He actually loves it that people doubt him. Talked to him last night after he got home. Well at least most of Clay is supporting him. I may eat crow too tiger you never know but the guy deserves a chance. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say you must have applied for the job or know someone who applied or your a Napier.
I know several guys that did apply, but that's just because it's a small town.. I have a vested interest in the programs future is why it has my interest. Not a Napier, I don't even think Napier should have been fired IMO. He done the best he could with what he had. Also didn't like how the committee conducted themselves, it was just shady all the way around in my opinion. Justin will have some supporters but he is going to have to do a lot of convincing to a lot of people here, moving to London definitely isn't going to help his public perception to some here.
Now I understand that. Like I said sometimes it's Jimmy's and joes and not Xs and Os. Stop by and talk to him one day your over there. He won't care. He will open his door to anyone. He's that type of guy. You will get a feel of how he is going to build from the ground up. From 1st and 2nd grade all the way up through high school. I know him personally that's why I take up for him so much. Was a great player here at breathitt and did a great job under Holcomb and chapman. Yeah they didn't give Napier a fair shake. Should have let him stay a bit longer to build something. Hard to build in 3 or 4 years. It takes time. Holcomb didn't start off so great here but after they have him a chance and kept him here it took off. It takes time. I feel like the people in Manchester are excited but they will be some that won't support and I understand that. I'm a bleacher coach as well. I question things but I still support Moore 110% because he is great to the kids and he works with what he has.
n all honesty, whether you like Combs or not, doesn't matter. If the guy you wanted as head coach was hired or not, doesn't matter.

The fact is that Justin Combs is the new head coach of the Clay County Tigers. You have one of two options......1) Get behind him and support him and the kids or 2) Don't get behind him and support the kids.

If you're smart, you will support this program 110% because your efforts as parents and/or fans WILL have a trickle down effect to your local high school and the players on the team. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't support your local high school and ultimately the kids involved, then you really aren't worth a damn.

You can always get shed of a coach if he isn't working out, but at least give him an opportunity. Sounds to me as if he has already started trying to improve the system, and work on his football program.

Personally, I hope he turns Clay County into a power house in football!! The kids who go through the training and are dedicated in this sport deserve no less.
Great post, Granny. Unfortunately it makes way too much sense!
It's still in Clay but I think it's on the laurel line is what he was sayin the house his wife likes. Happy wife happy life. Loves the area over there. He's a big fish guy.
TheTigersEye Wrote:I know several guys that did apply, but that's just because it's a small town.. I have a vested interest in the programs future is why it has my interest. Not a Napier, I don't even think Napier should have been fired IMO. He done the best he could with what he had. Also didn't like how the committee conducted themselves, it was just shady all the way around in my opinion. Justin will have some supporters but he is going to have to do a lot of convincing to a lot of people here, moving to London definitely isn't going to help his public perception to some here.

thetigerseye you boys need to support him HE IS YOUR COACH if you are a clay co tiger and that is the fact! so if you all are what you say you are then no matter what get behind him give him a chance and if he doesn't get it done with yalls support then you will be looking for another coach in 2 or 3 or 4 years but right now he is the man and if you love clay co you MUST SUPPORT HIM CAUSE HE IS THE HEAD MAN.
:notworthy
bobcatsfan Wrote:It's still in Clay but I think it's on the laurel line is what he was sayin the house his wife likes. Happy wife happy life. Loves the area over there. He's a big fish guy.

:worthy::biglmao:Confusedinglepar
and any man that would argue that knows nothing about woman!!!!!! if my wife ask me does she look good in a dress "you damn right you do"!!!!!! I have learned that much in my half century of life.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7