Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Hope Belfry gets tested before state finals, but unfortunately I don't see it 48 to 21
Having played Belfry for 4 years when I played and watching them countless other times I have nothing but respect for the Pirates. With that being said I also recognize that Belfry is a favorite in this game. I read countless times on this site how the Belfry fans wanted to play Russell do to the match ups and Burbon's skill positions. Yes it's true we are a better match up but what is also true is that Belfry also plays to our strength which is a very big strong line on both sides of the ball. The defensive line has been absolutely lights out during the playoffs. With that being said I'm not going to say the Red Devils will walk out of Pond Creek with a W but I do think it will be closer than most Belfry people expect
The defending and future state champs will roll. Russell is well coached and may make it interesting for a half, but Belfry is healthy, loaded, and ready.
Together we win.
TJ Has done a fantastic job this year. District title. Region champs. Hopefully more trophies to come. But the greatest accomplishment in my opinion is the fun is back in football at Russell. You can see it in the players on the field and on the sideline. Win or lose I don't think the importance of that can be overstated and the dividends it will pay.
I think this is a down year for the Pirates with the loss to Pikeville so, I say Russell in an upset.
mysonis55 Wrote:I think this is a down year for the Pirates with the loss to Pikeville so, I say Russell in an upset.
Must be a down year for RUSSELL also since Pikeville beat them worse than they beat Belfry!!!!! RUSSELL vs Pikeville game was 35-7. Pikeville vs belfry was 29-20 if I'm no mistaken. I know you can't put much into scores but that is a little lopsided.
Looks like the pot has been stirred and a nerve touched.
No nerve touched. Looking at scores and things it's common sense. Something that a lot of people lack on here.
Kind of like judging Belfry by the Johnson Central score?
#5 for Belfry was a dirty player last year at Bourbon co. When Dalton Pope came back from a broken leg and played that game. #5 would purposefully twist and intentionally try to further hurt his bad leg on the bottom of the pile. Pope said he was the dirtiest player he played against for trying to intentionally hurt his leg further!!! Karma comes back eventually
skully03 Wrote:No nerve touched. Looking at scores and things it's common sense. Something that a lot of people lack on here.

Skully03 I want be sugar coating this Russell game score. I was dreaming that corbin would be playing Belfry for a State Championship this year. But it want happen this year. We will meet in the east next year. :Cheerlead

Belfry 49
Russell 14
My head is telling me Belfry by 2-3 scores, but my heart says Russell in a close one. Call me a homer, but I'm running with the Devils 23-20.
The more I watch of Russell the more I like Korzep and McKee. Korzep is a gamer on both sides of the ball. Kasey Clark v2.0

McKee isn't the most talented kid at QB, pretty average arm, not very big.... but he is slippery as a snake and makes good decisions. The shifty little scrambling QB is the type Belfry has issues with.

With that said...the speed difference is going to be noticeable and significant. To say Belfry has an advantage there is an understatement at best. Russell's defense plays smart and fundamentally sound..but outside of the LB's the speed and the quickness simply isn't there. Belfry's OL will be a really tough matchup as will the big play ability of Belfry's backs if the Line is able to get a hat on everyone.

Korzep though is a problem on defense. Belfry needs to keep him blocked or he can disrupt plays in a big way.

Offensively I like what Maynard does with the talent he has. Russell's OL is going to be one of the better units Belfry has seen and I like the Red Devils intermediate passing game. As mentioned McKee worries me with his elusiveness. Belfry has a bad tendency to play essentially a hybrid 3-4 against spread teams and drop their ends... that could hurt them against Russell. Have to play run first as Russell isn't really a team who can burn you deep but they can break the big run any play.

What stands out to me looking at Russell is Horton is going to be really tough for Russell to deal with. Belfry defensively should be fine as long as they keep contain and don't blow lane assignments.

After watching Rusell:

Belfry 33
Russell 17
Football Junky Wrote:#5 for Belfry was a dirty player last year at Bourbon co. When Dalton Pope came back from a broken leg and played that game. #5 would purposefully twist and intentionally try to further hurt his bad leg on the bottom of the pile. Pope said he was the dirtiest player he played against for trying to intentionally hurt his leg further!!! Karma comes back eventually

Maybe the most off base quote I have ever heard on BGR. I have watched #5 as you call him, one of the best football players in this state, play every snap of his career and he has never made a dirty play or been a dirty player. Being butt hurt does not give you an excuse to down a player like that. Enjoy your week off!
Samiam Wrote:Kind of like judging Belfry by the Johnson Central score?

If you base a score on a team with 6-7 starters out or nowhere near 100
% then you don't know a whole lot about HS football!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The more I watch of Russell the more I like Korzep and McKee. Korzep is a gamer on both sides of the ball. Kasey Clark v2.0

McKee isn't the most talented kid at QB, pretty average arm, not very big.... but he is slippery as a snake and makes good decisions. The shifty little scrambling QB is the type Belfry has issues with.

With that said...the speed difference is going to be noticeable and significant. To say Belfry has an advantage there is an understatement at best. Russell's defense plays smart and fundamentally sound..but outside of the LB's the speed and the quickness simply isn't there. Belfry's OL will be a really tough matchup as will the big play ability of Belfry's backs if the Line is able to get a hat on everyone.

Korzep though is a problem on defense. Belfry needs to keep him blocked or he can disrupt plays in a big way.

Offensively I like what Maynard does with the talent he has. Russell's OL is going to be one of the better units Belfry has seen and I like the Red Devils intermediate passing game. As mentioned McKee worries me with his elusiveness. Belfry has a bad tendency to play essentially a hybrid 3-4 against spread teams and drop their ends... that could hurt them against Russell. Have to play run first as Russell isn't really a team who can burn you deep but they can break the big run any play.

What stands out to me looking at Russell is Horton is going to be really tough for Russell to deal with. Belfry defensively should be fine as long as they keep contain and don't blow lane assignments.

After watching Rusell:

Belfry 33
Russell 17

I like this score. I think about 35-14 or 42-14 Big Red.
bucslover68 Wrote:Maybe the most off base quote I have ever heard on BGR. I have watched #5 as you call him, one of the best football players in this state, play every snap of his career and he has never made a dirty play or been a dirty player. Being butt hurt does not give you an excuse to down a player like that. Enjoy your week off!

Pope had all of 6 total carries in last year's game. I know two were QB sneaks on the goal line which leaves us with a gran total of 4 carries for the poster who stated that to have survey size to draw from. I know he was sacked twice by non-Hatfield tackles... so realistically there were two tackles where Hatfield had the chance to be soooo dirty to Pope.

Considering I have never seen Hatfield get a personal foul in 3 years of varsity action, never get an unsportsmanlike, and for that matter never even really get up showing any extreme emotion I think either that poster has very sour grapes or has no clue who they are actually talking about.
Belfry's speed too much. Horton too much. Hatfield too much. I could go on and on. Running clock by end of 3rd then on to BG for another title. Big Red Rolls..

Belfry - 48
Russell - 12
Russell has faced a fast backfield. Russell has face bruising fullbacks. Not saying Russell will come away with win but I do believe Belfry does not have anything we haven't faced. We may get crushed....who's to say but we have flown under the radar and we are still here. Let the cards fall where they may.
bucslover68 Wrote:If you base a score on a team with 6-7 starters out or nowhere near 100
% then you don't know a whole lot about HS football!

That was exactly the point. Some of you guys are not too quick to pick things up are you?

It was a rebuttal to your comrade doing just that.
Re stating
Samiam Wrote:That was exactly the point. Some of you guys are not too quick to pick things up are you?

Yes and that is exactly what I was saying too. Nobody for any team should base scores on games when half or more of a team's starters are out.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell has faced a fast backfield. Russell has face bruising fullbacks. Not saying Russell will come away with win but I do believe Belfry does not have anything we haven't faced. We may get crushed....who's to say but we have flown under the radar and we are still here. Let the cards fall where they may.
Its not just a fast backfield belfry brings, its overall team speed that I'm talking about. But you're right let the cards fall where they may Confusednicker:
the red team wins 35-12
bucslover68 Wrote:Maybe the most off base quote I have ever heard on BGR. I have watched #5 as you call him, one of the best football players in this state, play every snap of his career and he has never made a dirty play or been a dirty player. Being butt hurt does not give you an excuse to down a player like that. Enjoy your week off!
Waited a year to say that! He told me after the game and he will tell it you to your face if want? Have no dog in the fight now, but call a spaid a spaid
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pope had all of 6 total carries in last year's game. I know two were QB sneaks on the goal line which leaves us with a gran total of 4 carries for the poster who stated that to have survey size to draw from. I know he was sacked twice by non-Hatfield tackles... so realistically there were two tackles where Hatfield had the chance to be soooo dirty to Pope.

Considering I have never seen Hatfield get a personal foul in 3 years of varsity action, never get an unsportsmanlike, and for that matter never even really get up showing any extreme emotion I think either that poster has very sour grapes or has no clue who they are actually talking about.
He told me this personally. Don't follow Belfry, don't even know who # 5 is or character. But Pope doesn't lie and as good a kid as they come. He was very upset after that game last year for that. He will tell you same thing if you ask him
Samiam Wrote:That was exactly the point. Some of you guys are not too quick to pick things up are you?

I was just taking a common opponent between the two schools. Scores don't mean a thing and I know that. I was making a point that if belfry is down because Pikeville beat them then so is Russell. My rebuttal wasn't even towards you.
Football Junky Wrote:He told me this personally. Don't follow Belfry, don't even know who # 5 is or character. But Pope doesn't lie and as good a kid as they come. He was very upset after that game last year for that. He will tell you same thing if you ask him

Not questioning Mr. Pope's honesty at all, I would just count it as a young kid not playing very well for two years in a row in the 2 of the 3 or 4 biggest games in his school's history. As for number 5, he will go down as one of the best fullbacks to ever wear our school's colors and one of the classiest players to ever play there.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell has faced a fast backfield. Russell has face bruising fullbacks. Not saying Russell will come away with win but I do believe Belfry does not have anything we haven't faced. We may get crushed....who's to say but we have flown under the radar and we are still here. Let the cards fall where they may.
You may have faced bruising fullbacks before but I guarantee you haven't faced one like MR. HATFIELD!!!! By far the best full back I have seen in HS football. Majority of the time it's takes 2-3 players to bring him down and he carries them for 4-5 yards.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13