Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell @ Belfry 11/28(State Semi-final)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
samson81 Wrote:Sophomores Brewer and Brinkman have a lot of potential, and 6'3" Robinson could present a matchup problem.

Dalton from Lawrence County hurt Belfry in both games. The Pirates have had issues with taller receivers in the past as well.

With that said, Dalton is one of the better WR's East of I-75 and it was his speed just as much as his height that caused the issues.
Hey Russell folk. How well do your fans travel?? I'm hoping to see a packed house this FRIDAY. I got a feeling the atmosphere is gonna be electric.
if the crowd is anything like those of the Belfry - Russell games of the early to mid-2000's we should see a packed house. So stoked to be able to be in attendance for this one myself.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:if the crowd is anything like those of the Belfry - Russell games of the early to mid-2000's we should see a packed house. So stoked to be able to be in attendance for this one myself.
I agree. Those crowds were massive. I just hope the POND CREEK NATION is out in full force. This Friday.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Dalton from Lawrence County hurt Belfry in both games. The Pirates have had issues with taller receivers in the past as well.

With that said, Dalton is one of the better WR's East of I-75 and it was his speed just as much as his height that caused the issues.
I read in another thread that Dalton is just a Soph. Good luck to anyone defending him the next two years. It would be nice to see the Dawgs push Belfry in that district.
skully03 Wrote:Hey Russell folk. How well do your fans travel?? I'm hoping to see a packed house this FRIDAY. I got a feeling the atmosphere is gonna be electric.
I never saw a game at Vipperman and haven't been to CAM. Are they very different venues? Any similarities in atmosphere?
samson81 Wrote:I never saw a game at Vipperman and haven't been to CAM. Are they very different venues? Any similarities in atmosphere?

It may be nostalgia here, but to me Death Valley was tough place to play for visitors. The visitors sat in the same stands as the home fans, coming into the area there were cars lined up forever down 119. The crowds were rowdy and many games were standing room only and even some where hanging from the trees room only. There was just this mystique about the place.

The CAM is an excellent, beautiful venue with all the niceties that the Pirates deserve. Lots of ballgames have been won there. But until they have a wild overly rowdy crowd as crazy as the ones like Vipperman experienced at times it will never be the same to me.
AtlPirateFan Wrote:It may be nostalgia here, but to me Death Valley was tough place to play for visitors. The visitors sat in the same stands as the home fans, coming into the area there were cars lined up forever down 119. The crowds were rowdy and many games were standing room only and even some where hanging from the trees room only. There was just this mystique about the place.

The CAM is an excellent, beautiful venue with all the niceties that the Pirates deserve. Lots of ballgames have been won there. But until they have a wild overly rowdy crowd as crazy as the ones like Vipperman experienced at times it will never be the same to me.
You hit the nail on the head. CAM is nothing like the original DEATH VALLEY at Vipperman. We need a very rowdy crowd this Friday. There is always a few fans scattered out that can be heard. But we need the whole crowd to come together for this one.
Russell fans normally travel very well but I had noticed the last 2 games a drop in attendance and those were home games lol. I assume our Russell DNA isn't designed as well for cold weather. I'm hoping they travel to Belfry though. Both teams have an excellent fan base.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Russell fans normally travel very well but I had noticed the last 2 games a drop in attendance and those were home games lol. I assume our Russell DNA isn't designed as well for cold weather. I'm hoping they travel to Belfry though. Both fans have an excellent fan base.

Belfry attendance has been pretty weak here lately. I am hoping the new.... yet familiar... blood of Russell will help bring people out.

Nothing like an electric Semi-Final crowd. Personally I think from the shear electricity and anticipation standpoint the Semi-Finals are the best week of the year. Something gets lost in the Finals in a bigger stadium.. but having the tighter confines, the home field advantage, the signs around the stadium and community, and the anticipation of teams entering the field of a Semi-Final is hard to beat.

Say what you will about Bourbon County but last year's Semi-Final in Paris was awesome to be a part of when their entire community was into it.The 2004, 2005, and 2006 Russell games were all awesome as well...especially the 04 and 05 games.
A little history repeating itself this Friday, MAYBE??? 10 years ago Belfry and Russell met in Belfry. Belfry won and went a claimed their 2nd strait state championship. Now Russell comes back to belfry and belfry has another chance at 2 in a row if they get by Russell. Could history be repeating itself??? We shall see.
FBALL Wrote:I thought Boubon's defense was really good. Very good linebackers.

I thought the same thing. DeQuante(?) Allen was a headhunter last Friday. Seemed like I heard his name all night.
bucslover68 Wrote:FBALL, do you have the individual games of the series and if so could you list them?

Here you go.

1973 Russell 26 Belfry 6 @B
1974 Russell 14 Belfry 12 @R
1975 Belfry 13 Russell 9 @B
1976 Belfry 8 Russell 0 (OT) @R
1977 Russell 10 Belfry 0 @B
1978 Russell 7 Belfry 6 @R
1979 Belfry 6 Russell 0 @B
1980 Belfry 21 Russell 6 @R
1981 Russell 12 Belfry 6 (OT) @B
1982 Russell 41 Belfry 16 @R
1983 Russell 10 Belfry 7 (OT) @B
1984 Russell 28 Belfry 0 @R
1985 Belfry 14 Russell 6 @B
1986 Belfry 40 Russell 6 @R
1988 Russell 1 Belfry 0 @B (forfeit due to KHSAA violations)
1989 Russell 15 Belfry 6 @R
1990 Belfry 33 Russell 8 @B
2004 Belfry 39 Russell 17 @B
2005 Russell 20 Belfry 14 @R
2006 Russell 19 Belfry 0 @B
2008 Belfry 42 Russell 0 @B
2010 Belfry 42 Russell 14 @B
2014 ?????????????? @B
FBALL Wrote:Here you go.

1973 Russell 26 Belfry 6 @B
1974 Russell 14 Belfry 12 @R
1975 Belfry 13 Russell 9 @B
1976 Belfry 8 Russell 0 (OT) @R
1977 Russell 10 Belfry 0 @B
1978 Russell 7 Belfry 6 @R
1979 Belfry 6 Russell 0 @B
1980 Belfry 21 Russell 6 @R
1981 Russell 12 Belfry 6 (OT) @B
1982 Russell 41 Belfry 16 @R
1983 Russell 10 Belfry 7 (OT) @B
1984 Russell 28 Belfry 0 @R
1985 Belfry 14 Russell 6 @B
1986 Belfry 40 Russell 6 @R
1988 Russell 1 Belfry 0 @B (forfeit due to KHSAA violations)
1989 Russell 15 Belfry 6 @R
1990 Belfry 33 Russell 8 @B
2004 Belfry 39 Russell 17 @B
2005 Russell 20 Belfry 14 @R
2006 Russell 19 Belfry 0 @B
2008 Belfry 42 Russell 0 @B
2010 Belfry 42 Russell 14 @B
2014 ?????????????? @B
Just for curiosity. What was the Khsaa violations???
I will say this about attendance.

Maybe Coach Maynard's biggest accomplishment this year is to bring the fun and pride back to Russell football that honestly has been missing since 2008. The players have bought in and the fans should too. There is a whole new feel at the stadium in the stands and on the sideline. From the music to the players learning and singing the fight song. It's a beautiful and enjoyable experience that makes Friday nights in the fall so special.
skully03 Wrote:Just for curiosity. What was the Khsaa violations???

I think it was playing an ineligible player but I won't swear to it.
LClion4life Wrote:I thought the same thing. DeQuante(?) Allen was a headhunter last Friday. Seemed like I heard his name all night.

11 and 34 were both very good.
FBALL Wrote:I think it was playing an ineligible player but I won't swear to it.
You trying to be funny or are you serious. Lol.
I'm sure this series inspires a bit of nostalgia in those old enough to remember these teams being in the same district. It must have felt strange to have your playoff fate sealed in the second or third game of the season.
skully03 Wrote:You trying to be funny or are you serious. Lol.

Lol.

Not trying to be funny.
Played in "83-85". Back then it was a one and done. No second chances.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Played in "83-85". Back then it was a one and done. No second chances.
You guys were in a three team district with Belfry and Johnson Central, right? How were there three team districts back then with 4 classes? You rarely see a three team district now, even with 6 classes. There must have been some uneven districts in those days.
FBALL Wrote:I will say this about attendance.

Maybe Coach Maynard's biggest accomplishment this year is to bring the fun and pride back to Russell football that honestly has been missing since 2008. The players have bought in and the fans should too. There is a whole new feel at the stadium in the stands and on the sideline. From the music to the players learning and singing the fight song. It's a beautiful and enjoyable experience that makes Friday nights in the fall so special.

I agree with what you say and in addition he has brought discipline to the team. Russell was always good for a couple of personal fouls. Now they are very rare.
skully03 Wrote:Just for curiosity. What was the Khsaa violations???

Belfry had to forfeit the district title that year. Just for history sake. Belfry counts that year as a Belfry win lol so they list the series 11-11. Doesn't really matter one way or the other, it has been a real close and great series for the most part.
I see belfry winning this one big.
Last report is that Woolum looking better for Friday return and not related to this game but for Belfry fans and football fans in general, the Pirates will face Tates Creek in the Pike County Bowl, and they have an agreement with Knoxville Catholic for a home and home series starting next year with KC coming to Belfry the first year. Knox Catholic is a 4a power with a state championship in 2008 I believe and state semis last year. This year they were 9-1 during the regular season and somehow had to play 11-0 Fulton in the second round and got waxed. But for comparison sake they beat CAK 70-23, Belfry beat them 31-7, and they only lost to Alcoa by 7.
^ Awesome info man.
We need woolum back, not only to kick but to play corner..
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:We need woolum back, not only to kick but to play corner..
If he is back. He needs to kick and then run strait to the sideline. I wouldn't take a chance on getting him hurt again. That leg is golden!!!!!
bucslover68 Wrote:Last report is that Woolum looking better for Friday return and not related to this game but for Belfry fans and football fans in general, the Pirates will face Tates Creek in the Pike County Bowl, and they have an agreement with Knoxville Catholic for a home and home series starting next year with KC coming to Belfry the first year. Knox Catholic is a 4a power with a state championship in 2008 I believe and state semis last year. This year they were 9-1 during the regular season and somehow had to play 11-0 Fulton in the second round and got waxed. But for comparison sake they beat CAK 70-23, Belfry beat them 31-7, and they only lost to Alcoa by 7.

What weeks are the PCB and the Knox Cath game?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13