Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Teams in the playoffs with NO district wins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a list of teams who will be playing in the post-season that have NO wins in their district.

1A
Caverna 0-3
Bracken County 0-3
Dayton 0-3
Lynn Camp 0-3
Jenkins 0-3
Nicholas County 0-3
Phelps 0-3

2A
Crittenden County 0-3
Green County 0-2
Somerset 0-3
Betsy Layne 0-3

3A
Webster County 0-3
LaRue County 0-3
Sheldon Clark 0-3

4A
Hopkins County Central 0-3
Breckinridge County 0-3
Clay County 0-3
Harrison County 0-3

5A
Perry County Central 0-3
North Bullitt 0-3

6A
DuPont Manual 0-3
Paul Laurence Dunbar 0-3
Muhlenberg County 0-2
Tates Creek 0-3
Marshall County 0-3
Southern 0-3
Eastern 0-3
Boone County 0-4

These are the websites I got the records from.

http://khsaa.org/2014-football-district-standings/
http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb14

Here is another thread about post-season play. It's worth looking at as well.
Is post-season play a Right or a Privilege?
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=182150
The 4th seed in every district in 6A did not win a district game. Over half of the 4 seeds in the state did not win a district game.
Sheldon Clark has no wins in their district but will likely get a win on the road in the first round on Friday at Magoffin.
most of these schools should be at the house on Friday instead of playing.
Yes, I know high school football and college football (D-1, FCS, NAIA) are worlds apart.

However.... there is a reason why college teams have to win 6 games to become bowl eligible or compete in their post-season play.

Post-season play SHOULD BE EARNED BY WINNING GAMES!!!!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Yes, I know high school football and college football (D-1, FCS, NAIA) are worlds apart.

However.... there is a reason why college teams have to win 6 games to become bowl eligible or compete in their post-season play.

Post-season play SHOULD BE EARNED BY WINNING GAMES!!!!!

exactly right :betterthanexpected:
i agree it is too easy to make playoffs, however, many teams would not be winless in a different district, college uses seeds not districts, so that "deserving" teams (or teams that would be better in different districts get a shot)
Someone explain this to me 1a Fulton City and 1A Fulton County play twice this year both teams only has one win against one another. who get the 3rd seed and 4th seed.:popcorn:

9-05-14 Fulton City 20 Fulton County 18
10-24-14 Fulton County 40 Fulton City 06

Confusederiously:
64SUR Wrote:Someone explain this to me 1a Fulton City and 1A Fulton County play twice this year both teams only has one win against one another. who get the 3rd seed and 4th seed.:popcorn:

Confusederiously:

If I had to guess, they would use the game that was actually played during when district games are supposed to take place to determine that which is the game Fulton County won.
I don't mind the teams making it that didn't win a district game, it happens in some strong districts. But what burns me are those 0-10 schools making the playoffs. That should not happen.
It's all about the money, that's it. Jackson Co has no business in the Playoffs this year or last but the game brought in almost $1600 in profit for both teams last year and will likely be similar this year. Those numbers don't take into account any concession profit, only ticket sales.

Some teams have lost money on a game but for the most part there is profit and therefore reason to continue the weak round 1 games.

http://khsaa.org/past-football-playoff-f...l-reports/
As a comparison.....

From the 2013/2014 Boys Basketball season, there was 43 teams that got at least one post-season game with NO district wins.
Interesting topic that's never been talked about on here before.
Teams that aren't "deserving" of the playoffs will lose in the first round and everyone can move on with their life.
zaga_fan Wrote:Interesting topic that's never been talked about on here before.

[Image: sarcasm-meter-sarcasm-meter-demotivation...486438.jpg]
zaga_fan Wrote:Teams that aren't "deserving" of the playoffs will lose in the first round and everyone can move on with their life.

Teams that aren't deserving of the playoffs should be home the first round anyways....
Playoffs should be for a deserving team. Top 2 out of each district is plenty. 4 teams making it with some districts only having 4 teams is ridiculous. Boyd County kids driving 3.5 hours to FTH for a 60 point loss or Harrison County making a 4 hour trip to J.C to get crushed is not worth it to the kids, parents, fans, or the school.
T-CATS Wrote:Playoffs should be for a deserving team. Top 2 out of each district is plenty. 4 teams making it with some districts only having 4 teams is ridiculous. Boyd County kids driving 3.5 hours to FTH for a 60 point loss or Harrison County making a 4 hour trip to J.C to get crushed is not worth it to the kids, parents, fans, or the school.

Something we agree upon T-CATS...... :Thumbs:
Every team in the state should be in the playoffs. Playoff wins should be earned but there is no more reason to exclude football teams from the playoffs than to do so for any other sport.

Excluding teams because of some crazy point system that rewards teams for dodging tough competition and rewards them for beating up on teams with soft schedules against weak opponents, the way that Ohio does, is a terrible system.

Allowing every team a shot at a playoff win, as Indiana's system does, is more fair than any other system. It is not rewarding teams for losing games, it is avoiding penalizing some teams by placing them into strong districts and rewarding others by placing them into weak districts.

This is not about giving everybody a trophy. If everybody gets into the playoffs, nobody will be impressed by a playoff appearance. Kids are not stupid. Kentucky high school basketball players do not feel like they have accomplished anything special by losing in the first round of a district tournament.

Indianapolis Cathedral plays a killer schedule for a school its size every season to prepare for the playoffs. If the team had to qualify for the playoffs, then they could not afford to schedule bigger out of state schools like Trinity and Elder and risk missing the playoffs. They have a case full of state title trophies that proves that their system works.

The regular season in Indiana is spent preparing for the playoffs. There is no incentive to padding your schedule to win games. Teams don't refuse to schedule a game because they fear that a loss will keep them out of the playoffs.
Welcome to six-class football, boys and girls. Everyone gets a playoff game and an ice cream cone.

Go ahead and eat it rather quickly, though, because it will likely melt on that 150-plus mile bus ride home after you get your arses handed to ya.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Welcome to six-class football, boys and girls. Everyone gets a playoff game and an ice cream cone.

Go ahead and eat it rather quickly, though, because it will likely melt on that 150-plus mile bus ride home after you get your arses handed to ya.
The fact that Kentucky has too many classes is a separate issue from making the playoffs more "exclusive." Early round playoff games should not involve a 150+ mile trip. Indiana has six classes but Kentucky does not have enough schools to support so many classes. 4 or 5 were plenty.

I really don't understand why so many people think that letting more teams in the playoffs is the equivalent of handing them a trophy. I would not be proud of a 60-0 first round loss to end a winless season. Would you?
How about you guys who have started 43 of these threads this year keep it on the same thread from now on. This is the permanent thread for talking about teams making the playoffs that should or shouldn't be. No more useless threads to talk about something that is NEVER going to change.

If it really pisses some of you off so much that you hate the fact some teams make the playoffs, then my advice to you is run up the score, break every record in the record book and shame them into making teams vote against sending that many teams to the playoffs.
After all its the SCHOOLS that vote on this. This state has one of the easiest forms of playoffs in the country. Why screw with that? Easy to understand, easy to play. Would you rather it be like Ohio?

The opener of this thread is a Johnson Central fan.
So I ask. If you're against it, why don't you ask you AD and coach why they voted to keep the 4 team format currently used? The vote was last July. The only school in your district that didn't vote for having the current set up is Ashland who voted that the top two teams make it.

http://khsaa.org/football/footballsurvey...school.pdf

Please. Do tell.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:How about you guys who have started 43 of these threads this year keep it on the same thread from now on. This is the permanent thread for talking about teams making the playoffs that should or shouldn't be. No more useless threads to talk about something that is NEVER going to change.

If it really pisses some of you off so much that you hate the fact some teams make the playoffs, then my advice to you is run up the score, break every record in the record book and shame them into making teams vote against sending that many teams to the playoffs.
After all its the SCHOOLS that vote on this. This state has one of the easiest forms of playoffs in the country. Why screw with that? Easy to understand, easy to play. Would you rather it be like Ohio?

The opener of this thread is a Johnson Central fan.
So I ask. If you're against it, why don't you ask you AD and coach why they voted to keep the 4 team format currently used? The vote was last July. The only school in your district that didn't vote for having the current set up is Ashland who voted that the top two teams make it.

http://khsaa.org/football/footballsurvey...school.pdf

Please. Do tell.
First off the bolded.... no kidding Captain Obvious.

Secondly, I'm not associated with JC besides being a fan. So how they decide to vote on issues dealing with the school, school system or how they vote on state wide issues is none of my concern. I don't have a dog in that fight.

My point is.... Post-season play SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT IS EARNED BY WINNING GAMES!!!! Not something that is awarded just because that's the way the "system" is.

KHSAA Sportsmanship Statement
The National High School Federation and The Kentucky High School Athletic Association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let this competition reflect mutual respect among all participants and officials. Good luck and have a great contest!

^^^ I know this statement gets read before every game all across the state. The line that is bolded.... POSITIVE VALUES. Getting "rewarded" for doing nothing IS NOT A POSITIVE VALUE. Why does a team that goes 0-10 get the same reward as a team that goes 10-0?

There are NO ENTITLEMENTS in sports. If you want something EARN IT... Don't expect a handout.
Post season games should be earned in college and pro sports. And I'm stretching it by putting college in there. High school is a different story. Pulp I respect your opinion but these are still kids at the highschool level. The majority of these kids will not go to college to play sports. And even a smaller percentage will have a chance at the pros. Let the kids play. It's fair all around. If a fan doesn't want to drive 3.5 hours to watch a loss, well, they have an option to not make the drive. This may be the last time some of the kids have a chance to play an organized team sport. Football teams are like brothers by the end of the season so let them play as long as they can. They are making memories for a lifetime winning or loosing.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:First off the bolded.... no kidding Captain Obvious.

Secondly, I'm not associated with JC besides being a fan. So how they decide to vote on issues dealing with the school, school system or how they vote on state wide issues is none of my concern. I don't have a dog in that fight.

My point is.... Post-season play SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT IS EARNED BY WINNING GAMES!!!! Not something that is awarded just because that's the way the "system" is.

KHSAA Sportsmanship Statement
The National High School Federation and The Kentucky High School Athletic Association require officials to enforce sportsmanship rules. High school athletics emphasize positive values. All of us have worked hard to create a sense of teamwork, respect, responsibility and perspective. We remind you that we expect good behavior and will quickly penalize misconduct. We encourage and appreciate your help. Let this competition reflect mutual respect among all participants and officials. Good luck and have a great contest!

^^^ I know this statement gets read before every game all across the state. The line that is bolded.... POSITIVE VALUES. Getting "rewarded" for doing nothing IS NOT A POSITIVE VALUE. Why does a team that goes 0-10 get the same reward as a team that goes 10-0?

There are NO ENTITLEMENTS in sports. If you want something EARN IT... Don't expect a handout.

Honestly, what is your problem with it?
Im completely neutral on the situation, but what is your problem with it?

JC will play Harrison County in the first round. I guarantee you those kids will have fun scoring one TD after another on a bad team. Would you rather go ahead and play Highlands this week, or get a couple of free weeks of prepping for them?

For the record, I don't care what the playoffs do, but I cant for the life of me understand why this is even an issue. I can understand the class size debate, but the playoff debate makes no sense. It means more football for a sport that only gets 10 regular season games.
64SUR Wrote:Someone explain this to me 1a Fulton City and 1A Fulton County play twice this year both teams only has one win against one another. who get the 3rd seed and 4th seed.:popcorn:

Confusederiously:

It depends on which game was the actual district game.
My guess is the 10-24 game is the decider.
I just don't see why this comes up so often.

There are some districts around here that people brag about winning that half of the teams around here could compete in.
zaga_fan Wrote:I just don't see why this comes up so often.

There are some districts around here that people brag about winning that half of the teams around here could compete in.

Exactly. Look at that Breathitt district for example compare to that Belfry district.
Please God let a 4 seed win so everyone will shut up.
Pages: 1 2