Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: High School & Shot Clocks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What would the shot clock do to the high school game?
As for me, I despise watching a team get a 6 point lead and go to the four corners. I paid my money to watch a game, not a kid walk around dribbling a basketball waiting for the last 45 seconds of the quarter to tick down. But that's jut me, I say make them play.
I like the idea
You would see kids more prepared for the next level lol
zaga_fan Wrote:You would see kids more prepared for the next level lol

True
I think it would be good to have a 35 second clock that starts when the ball crosses half-court.

Give the kids 10 seconds to get it across the line and 35 to run their play.

I think that would be a good trade-off.
It would cause less scoring actually. The 8 states with the shot clock are averaging a little over 58 pts on a winning team,, without are averaging 60 pts on a winning team. The losing team with the clock,, 42 pts.. Losing team without shot clock,, 44 pts.

I would have figured higher scoring until I looked this up. Interesting to say the least.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?a...ac40c0f774
[quote=zaga_fan]I think it would be good to have a 35 second clock that starts when the ball crosses half-court.

Give the kids 10 seconds to get it across the line and 35 to run their play.

I think that would be a good trade-off.[/ it would speed the game up
A 40 second shot clock would be good.

Keep the 10 second rule to get it over the half court line.

But if HS did go to a shot clock... a major rule would have to be changed. As it stands now, referee's can't use any type of electronic device to review plays.
And schools would have to upgrade their systems to accommodate the shot clock.

It could happen, but it would have to be a 3-4 year change over.
Needs to be added to the rules
I think it should be 6 seconds to get it across half court then 10 seconds to get the shot off. Much more interesting
They have it in college and they score in the 60's most games, and play 8 more minutes than High School......
I think shot clock would be good for high school! Even though it would make it hard on some clock keepers to keep up with a shot clock too. Some clock keepers struggle with just the time, points an fouls.
100% without a doubt there should absolutely should be a shot clock in high school basketball and no mercy rule. Period.

Make it 30 or 35, no longer. High school basketball in this state would be much better to watch. Teams in KY, especially EKY will almost literally sit the ball on the court and sit there butts on it to run clock. That's ridiculous. KY has needed a shot clock for years.
SLAMMA_JAMMA Wrote:I think shot clock would be good for high school! Even though it would make it hard on some clock keepers to keep up with a shot clock too. Some clock keepers struggle with just the time, points an fouls.

The scorekeeper shouldn't be running the shot clock.
They don't at any other level. The shot clock should be handled by one person, and that should be his only job.
College basketball actually slowed when the shot clock came into use. The reason? Teams had no more incentive to force the action on defense. Coaches started having their teams lay back in zones instead of aggressive man-to-mans.

Seven states — California, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Washington — have adopted a shot clock for boys basketball. An examination of 137,000 boys basketball scores collected by MaxPreps this season provides little to suggest that scoring and entertainment value go up when the shot clock goes on.

In fact, scoring averages are actually higher in states that do not use a shot clock (104.2 combined points per game) than the seven states with a shot clock (101.4 combined points per game).
They need the shot clock to level the playing field in the sweet sixteen ... Take the 13 th region for example... Clay ,Corbin,and south Laurel, while great programs over the years have to put up with playing lots of games that end-up in the 30's or 40's in season then only go on to get run out off the court in stae play. Also think how much better looks the kids would get from colleges ,because they were used to a play clock. Knox Central and Jackson would benifit over the years as well... Run, run,run!!!
rojas Wrote:College basketball actually slowed when the shot clock came into use. The reason? Teams had no more incentive to force the action on defense. Coaches started having their teams lay back in zones instead of aggressive man-to-mans.

Seven states — California, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota and Washington — have adopted a shot clock for boys basketball. An examination of 137,000 boys basketball scores collected by MaxPreps this season provides little to suggest that scoring and entertainment value go up when the shot clock goes on.

In fact, scoring averages are actually higher in states that do not use a shot clock (104.2 combined points per game) than the seven states with a shot clock (101.4 combined points per game).

In this state, the shot clock is the only way to go.
a 30 or 35 sec shot clock would be good for both the boys and girls basketball.
A shot clock would have really helped Scott County this year. Every team they played would hold the ball when they were in their basic "Solid" defense. They were forced to speed up the other team's offense by going into their trapping "Heat" defense. Once they got well ahead they could play "Solid."
Make it 35 to get it over and run your play
It's past time to implicate the rule and I am for it in every aspect.
It will not speed up the game. I am against it. It is high school basketball, not college nor the NBA.
UKisN1 Wrote:It will not speed up the game. I am against it. It is high school basketball, not college nor the NBA.

Its not about speeding up the game, its about getting teams to play ball.

If there is 45 second left, and your a high school team, you HAVE to foul if your down. With a shot clock, you can play a solid round of defense and get atleast 10 seconds back on the game clock to score.

One of the many reasons I quit watching high school basketball was because of this very reason. Mountain teams play like idiots when it comes to running clock. It also HAS to speed up the game some. I don't care what the stats say. Right now a team can hold a ball for a minute if they want. With the shot clock, they cant, thus SPEEDING up the game.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Its not about speeding up the game, its about getting teams to play ball.

If there is 45 second left, and your a high school team, you HAVE to foul if your down. With a shot clock, you can play a solid round of defense and get atleast 10 seconds back on the game clock to score.

One of the many reasons I quit watching high school basketball was because of this very reason. Mountain teams play like idiots when it comes to running clock. It also HAS to speed up the game some. I don't care what the stats say. Right now a team can hold a ball for a minute if they want. With the shot clock, they cant, thus SPEEDING up the game.

Only if you are a zone team do you have to foul with 45 seconds to play and down 1 or 2. If you are a trapping, hard nosed man-to-man team, it's tough for a team to hold the ball on you for 45 seconds. A man-to-man team can always play zone but a primarily zone team can't play man-to-man. You have to play man-to-man everyday to be good at it.

Of course, if you are a zone team you may as well wear skirts and lipstick anyway.
rojas Wrote:Only if you are a zone team do you have to foul with 45 seconds to play and down 1 or 2. If you are a trapping, hard nosed man-to-man team, it's tough for a team to hold the ball on you for 45 seconds. A man-to-man team can always play zone but a primarily zone team can't play man-to-man. You have to play man-to-man everyday to be good at it.

Of course, if you are a zone team you may as well wear skirts and lipstick anyway.

It might be tough to hold the ball for 45 seconds, but there still allowed to do it.
Not having the shot clock makes no sense to me. Like most other things, KY will be one of the last to do it.
rojas Wrote:College basketball actually slowed when the shot clock came into use. The reason? Teams had no more incentive to force the action on defense. Coaches started having their teams lay back in zones instead of aggressive man-to-mans.

If this is the case the argument is moot. Anyway it's style of play just like football in the mountains. A good amount of teams run it and bore me to death.
Cardfan1 Wrote:If this is the case the argument is moot. Anyway it's style of play just like football in the mountains. A good amount of teams run it and bore me to death.

I understand. 2-3 zone defenses bore the hell out of me and that is what a shot clock promotes.
Personally, I don't want to see it implemented. I do see the argument those who are pro shot clock have, but it's very interesting that the scoring was lower in states with the clock than those without. Either way this is an excellent thread. Good debate from both sides. I guess us old timers are set in our ways.
Why has no one mentioned this: only having a shot clock in the fourth quarter or inside two minutes or inside three minutes?

It wouldn't change the first three quarters but it would make the end of the game much more interesting and would require a team to play the full game instead of getting up 5 or 10 and holding the ball

It's stupid watching teams hold the ball with three or more minutes left and the other team being forced to foul because it pretty much ends the game and doesn't make teams play an entire four quarters.
Pages: 1 2