Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 67 Corbin 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final.

Congratulations Clay County Tigers!!!!

Thank you 64SUR!!!
Can't stop the tigers in region
Congratulations Clay County!
Congrats to the Clay County Tigers.

Blake Smith huge game also won player of game. 18 pts 7 Reb. 6 Steals, 5 Blocks, 5 Ass.
Trey Farmer big game as well Tournament MVP. 20 pts 7 Reb.
Chip McDaniel 14-14 from the line..as clutch as they come.

Once again a total team effort. Corbin game plan took chip out of game but like I said this is no one horse team. Farmer and Smith really stepped it up. And chip is smart enough not to force it . Great job tigers
Congratulations Great Season.
Congratulations to the Tigers on taking care of business and proving that you are the best team in the region.

Corbin made a valiant comeback effort, cutting the lead to 2 points with 3 minutes left, but Clay wouldn't let them get over the hump. Clay Co. made a couple of good defensive plays and Corbin took a couple of tough shots, then McDaniel put it away at the line when Corbin got into the fouling mode.

Kenny Hopper has had a coming out party over the last couple of weeks for the Hounds and had another huge game all-around game tonight.
Got to give Corbin and Coach P a lot of credit. As well as the rest of the region. However, the best team won this region as they should, as we predicted back in the summer. The Tigers played their best ball at the right time. It was a collective effort and that's what it takes. Our sophomores will be 3 of the top 5-6 in the region next year. Blake Smith, just wow. He answered every time Corbin made a run and excellent defense. Trey was very deserving of his MVP. McDaniel did what he was suppost to and made his bread and butter free throws. Allen got it done inside as well as House giving good minutes. Do not expect this team to lay down for Covington Catholic. Congrats!
UKCC Wrote:Got to give Corbin and Coach P a lot of credit. As well as the rest of the region. However, the best team won this region as they should, as we predicted back in the summer. The Tigers played their best ball at the right time. It was a collective effort and that's what it takes. Our sophomores will be 3 of the top 5-6 in the region next year. Blake Smith, just wow. He answered every time Corbin made a run and excellent defense. Trey was very deserving of his MVP. McDaniel did what he was suppost to and made his bread and butter free throws. Allen got it done inside as well as House giving good minutes. Do not expect this team to lay down for Covington Catholic. Congrats!

Clay Co. has a lot of weapons. Corbin did a good job on a couple of them, McDaniel didn't try to force anything, instead he got the ball to Smith and Farmer, and they made Corbin pay. Smith is going to be a special player for the Tigers before he is finished.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Clay Co. has a lot of weapons. Corbin did a good job on a couple of them, McDaniel didn't try to force anything, instead he got the ball to Smith and Farmer, and they made Corbin pay. Smith is going to be a special player for the Tigers before he is finished.

I completely agree. McDaniel knew what he needed to do. Clay has 3 sophomores that will keep the Tigers at the top of the region race for a while.
Corbin took a cold spell and Clay took full advantage. Congrats to Clay and also congrats to Corbin on a really good season.
Congrats to Coach Marcum and the Tigers.
Good luck at Rupp.
Congrats to clay county! Would have been a much better game if it would have been jackson and clay.
And you all said Corbin couldn't run with Clay Confusednicker:

This was a one point ball game midway through the 4th but Corbin failed to take advantage of the momentum, and after Allen got that and one it was all over.

I think Corbin did a great job of covering Allen and Mcdaniels. I think they both only had like 5 points combined at halftime, but you got to give credit to the other clay kids. Farmer and Smith are more valuable to Clay IMO.

Good luck to Clay. Lets actually win a game at the state tourney.
Time to go count some mullets in Manchester!
SEKYFAN Wrote:Clay Co. has a lot of weapons. Corbin did a good job on a couple of them, McDaniel didn't try to force anything, instead he got the ball to Smith and Farmer, and they made Corbin pay. Smith is going to be a special player for the Tigers before he is finished.

Been saying it all year , Smith is a Stud and has the potential to do some really great things. Farmer and Wolfe has it as well just need to put some time in gym this summer. I love Smiths work ethic and I think it really shows on defense, kid guards other teams stud 90% of the time. But this is about the team not 1 or 2 players and this team has finally figured that out.:Thumbs:
Gamecast Wrote:Time to go count some mullets in Manchester!

It will make it easier for u to stand in front of Rupp.
Thats where we will be.:biglmao:
Trey Farmer was very very rusty at the start of the season; he had to be taken in and out of the game so many times against us, that he was rendered almost useless. To see him improve to the point of MVP of the tournament is amazing, and I'm so very glad for him!! The effort was always there, and to see that effort rewarded is wonderful!!

Go Clay County Tigers!!
Congrats to the tigers for a great season and most of all 49th district champs, 13th region champions........watched the game from reserved seating and it was a great atmosphere, the crowd was great, the tigers stepped up to the plate and they actually played as hard of a ball game as I've seen all season.....I just hope they continue to play this tempo in RUPP.........CONGRATS TIGERS
Congrats to Coach Marcum and the Tigers!! It's always sweet beating our rival Corbin! The only way it would have been sweeter this year is spanking General's Jackson team in the finals! Go Tigers!
I wasn't pulling for either team in this one, but I will say that after talking to Trey Farmer last night, I was happy for him and his team. I know he's been through a lot, especially for a teenager, and for him to get his moment was nice.

I wrote a short feature on him for The Times Tribune, after he was named MVP of the 13th Region Tournament.

Here is the link:

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/x7...f-the-Show
Here are some stats from the game:

Clay County finished the game connecting on 19-of-38 shot attempts and a 28-of-36 effort from the free-throw line while outrebounding Corbin, 28-24. The Redhounds were 21-of-56 from the floor, eight-of-11 from the free-throw line, and turned the ball over 13 times, while forcing the Tigers into 17 miscues.

Corbin just didn't shoot the ball well enough to beat a team as good as Clay Co., and missed 14 straight shots during a stretch at the end of the 2nd qtr. and start of the 3rd quarter.
Clay County did not play what I would have called a great game, but that means nothing as they are marching on to Rupp. I thought that a key play in the game was during the 3rd quarter when Wes Wolfe got a steal and was going to have a wide open breakaway dunk and the ref (who killed us all night) never attempted to get out of his way resulting in a turnover and Corbin's first 2 points in the 3rd quarter. That was a 4 pt swing that gave the Redhounds a boost. If Wolfe misses the referee the ball game would have likely been over at that point I feel like. Individually, hats off to Trey Farmer and Blake Smith. They stepped up and made big plays as Sophomores. McDaniel played extremely smart other than a couple turnovers forcing the long pass. Pietrowski had the game plan but he couldn't shut down Farmer or Smith. Jake Allen played well and his statistics doesn't show his impact on most games. Wolfe seemed to be the most nervous, but he was so close to making the Arena erupt if the ref would have simply made an effort to get out of the way. Like I've said all year, Ryan House is the best 6th man for a number of reasons. He left a team where he would have been the 1st or 2nd option to be a role player and have a chance at a region title. Clay County did what great teams do, coming together as a team when it mattered. Hats off to the coaching staff, Robert Marcum honestly doesn't get enough credit. Thankfully the Arena curse is now broken! Go Clay County Tigers!
Congrats to Robert Marcum , he has done an excellent job getting the program back to where is use to be. Also making the new additional players work with the rest of the team.
TriCountySports Wrote:I wasn't pulling for either team in this one, but I will say that after talking to Trey Farmer last night, I was happy for him and his team. I know he's been through a lot, especially for a teenager, and for him to get his moment was nice.

I wrote a short feature on him for The Times Tribune, after he was named MVP of the 13th Region Tournament.

Here is the link:

http://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/x7...f-the-Show

As I see it:
1. Clay County absolutely has the best talent in the region and are the best team in the region. Corbin struggled stopping any position except maybe Allen.
2. Even though Allen did not hurt Corbin statistically, his presence inside disrupted Corbin's ability to drive to the basket. Other than that, Corbin shut him down on the offensive end except junk baskets given to him by outstanding guard play.
3. Farmer's long three at the buzzer (I believe at end of third) was huge. Corbin just drained a three and had momentum but Farmer answered with a huge three killing Corbin's momentum.
4. Clay simply knocked down the free throws which great teams do. I heard they went 36 for 38 from the line. It's hard to beat anyone shooting like that. I wish KY could shoot like that. No excuses on the foul count either. Corbin fouled the crap out of Clay all night and the refs called a decent game.
5. I honestly don't believe Farmer deserved tournament MVP though. Offensively the kid can play but he can't guard Bobby Keith if he was in uniform. I think he's lazy and very cocky. Nevertheless, he hit some huge baskets last night that killed Corbin's run on several occasions.
6. Clay's guards played lights out on both ends of the court.
7. Hats off for Corbin and their will to win. I promise you that Clay didn't play anyone that played that hard all year. They have true heart and grit...just a little short on talent. I thought they were actually more physical than Clay.
8. Hats off to Tony P. Another great year of coaching and proving all the polls wrong. Especially proving all the local sports reporters are idiots. Good game plan as well. He went took it to them and went toe to toe.
9. Hats off to Marcum and his staff. He seems to have brought that team together at the right time and got rid of some egos. Clay is a much better team than earlier in the year.
10. Hats off to the Corbin seniors. You guys have busted your ass for four years and you are true Redhounds!
11. Clay can be a sleeper in the sweet sixteen. I'm not implying they can win it but if they keep playing as a team they will make a run.
12. Was anyone left in Clay County last night? Their crowd was huge and loud. Too bad Corbin fans did not turn out like they did.
13. Finally, congrats to Tiger nation! You guys are the best and now make some noise in the state. Good mullets last forever.:blabbermo
Classy, and accurate, post Old Hound.
Agree Almost 100% old hound with ur post. Was wondering who u thought should have been MVP though.:1:
Count Wrote:It will make it easier for u to stand in front of Rupp.
Thats where we will be.:biglmao:

Count you know as well as I do that was funny. Congrats to the Tigers and Coach Marcum. Game was a lot closer than I thought down the stretch but I think Bubba is right about the Wes Wolfe play. Clay would have ran away with it at that point. All in all, Clay got their 10+ point victory and are headed back to Rupp. Something about those Farmer's playing in black and gold.
I agree with the post as well. Corbin had a good game plan coming in, but Clay has to many guys that can score with the basketball. Marcum has his team peaking at the right time and the whole team has finally bought into what it means to be a TEAM. During the regional tournament Clay passed the ball extremely well and were more patient on the offensive end. Chip has had to deal with a different role on this team than he did in years past and he proved to me in the regional tournament he truly is a leader and was doing what the team needed him to do. If Farmer improves his defense he will be a top player in the region for years to come. Smith and Wolfe are extremely athletic and can cause teams real trouble on the defensive end. Smith had a great all around game in the finals. His defense has improved even more throughout the year and he is a true stopper on that end of the floor. Corbin played there hearts out, but didn't have enough fire power to take down Clay. Congrats to Clay and glad they have brought the tradition back to Clay County. It's been a while since Clay has one two regional tournaments in a row.
BrokenArrow Wrote:Agree Almost 100% old hound with ur post. Was wondering who u thought should have been MVP though.:1:

That's a good question. The guard play of Clay was so good on both ends I would have to choose one of those. They really shut down Goins and Taylor and made some tremendous assists when they seemed to be in trouble. I watched a little of the Mboro and Wburg games and I thought Farmer just didn't hustle because of the competition. Last night he was all about scoring and I still didn't see much defense or hustle out of him. True MVPs play on both ends. I also thought he taunted the fans and acted very cocky. Just not traits of a tourney MVP in my opinion.

I'm sure my comment may cause tremors in Clay but I just think he got it because of his name and not his play. Don't get me wrong, he had a very good game last night but I think there's several on Clays team more deserving for their overall play. Sorry Tiger nation.

Congrats again Clay...you are the best!
Based on numbers, I think the MVP had to go to Farmer. As far as him being lazy and arrogant, I don't know if I agree. I mean, the Corbin fans were chanting, "Where's your daddy?" and "Jailbird," for most of the game when he touched the ball. As the clock was winding down, he pointed to their section and smiled. I don't think I blame him.

As far as the best player on Clay County's team, I think that belongs to Smith or Wolfe. I know Chip is a good leader, but I think Wolfe and Smith are the most talented, overall. McDaniel can't defend as well as them and isn't as athletic - and there aren't many who are. They could be two of the top five players in the region over the next two seasons, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2