Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 67 Corbin 54
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Still no defense.
oldhound70s Wrote:That's a good question. The guard play of Clay was so good on both ends I would have to choose one of those. They really shut down Goins and Taylor and made some tremendous assists when they seemed to be in trouble. I watched a little of the Mboro and Wburg games and I thought Farmer just didn't hustle because of the competition. Last night he was all about scoring and I still didn't see much defense or hustle out of him. True MVPs play on both ends. I also thought he taunted the fans and acted very cocky. Just not traits of a tourney MVP in my opinion.

I'm sure my comment may cause tremors in Clay but I just think he got it because of his name and not his play. Don't get me wrong, he had a very good game last night but I think there's several on Clays team more deserving for their overall play. Sorry Tiger nation.

Congrats again Clay...you are the best!

I agree 100% with you hound. Farmer is lazy and plays zero defense. He is all about offense. I'm glad someone see it besides me. That being said the MVP is and always will be about the eye test. Farmer had a good tournament along with several others on the team. I Dont care who wins it as long as team wins. Defense is about effort and when Farmer puts forth effort he's a different player. I personally love Smiths game he does it all, but its apples and oranges.
Gamecast Wrote:Count you know as well as I do that was funny. Congrats to the Tigers and Coach Marcum. Game was a lot closer than I thought down the stretch but I think Bubba is right about the Wes Wolfe play. Clay would have ran away with it at that point. All in all, Clay got their 10+ point victory and are headed back to Rupp. Something about those Farmer's playing in black and gold.

I loved it
All business up front
Party out back
But we are CC :lmao:
My two cents on the tourny
Three dominating performances by CC sophs
Smith is easily top 5 all around players in the region and without question best defender. Coolest player in region under pressure
Wolfe is right there with him. Needs to improve on defense. Great athlete.
Farmer top 5 offensive players in region. But has to improve his effort on defense. Deserving of MVP of tourny.
McDaniel looked the best I've ever seen him look. Ran his team like a true point guard. We be missed greatly.
The rest of the region may be playing for second for next couple of years.
:Thumbs:
Clay fans also have the best mullets:lmao:
With what was said by the student section of Corbin, Trey Farmer had every right to taunt them. Trust me, I made a little recuse in my day but there is a point where you cross the line. He can be lazy at times and takes off on defense but nevertheless he was the MVP of this tournament and deserved it. If not for his early game jitters it could have been Wolfe. Blake Smith is about to take off fellas. Mark my words, the kid puts in work in the summers like anyone who wants to play at the next level should.
In my opinion the Tigers had multiple MVPs. I think it was fitting for Trey to get the most recognition. Blake Smith played as good a game that could be played in the finals on both sides. McDaniel finished the tournament with 23 assists and I believe 2 TO's, and Pietrowski was not going to let him beat him so you can marvel at that. He also had 8 rebounds last night and if you can find a player that is more "clutch" I would love to see him.

Jake Allen's stats simply don't show what kind of player he has turned into. If he would have been in a CC jersey for 4 years, it would have been scary. You can slice it however you want but without any of these top 6, the Tigers are missing a spoke in the wheel. Teams with individual talent that don't play together don't make runs. Teams that are 1 man shows don't either. Clay has everything other than a couple players that take defense for granted at times. I counted them out in January, but the way this team came together was special, and what a going out party for Allen and possibly McDaniel.
Clay County Tigers

Back 2 Back 13th Region Champs
SWEET! Smile

We are CC.
icecreamandcake Wrote:Clay County Tigers

Back 2 Back 13th Region Champs
SWEET! Smile

We are CC.

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a three peat.
Very exciting 2nd half, Corbin made a nice comeback and Clay maintained their poise and finished strong. McDaniel ran the show and sealed the deal for Clay, but Smith and Farmer made almost all the big shots throughout the game until McDaniel took over at the foul line in the 4th quarter (12-12) in the 4th from the line I believe.
I believe CC can make some noise at Rupp
Cov. Cath. Better not look past these guys. If CCs shots r falling and they keep their great team mentality they will get the win.
oldhound70s Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a three peat.

I'd say 4 in a row. And when Smith, Farmer and Wolfe are seniors they should make some big time noise at State.:rockon:
Farmer is officially my favorite player in the region.
The kid looks like he belongs on duck dynasty, his dad is an all time great, I don't care what he did, and the kid is just fun to watch.

Scary that hes still got time left. He could turn into something special.
BrokenArrow Wrote:I agree 100% with you hound. Farmer is lazy and plays zero defense. He is all about offense. I'm glad someone see it besides me. That being said the MVP is and always will be about the eye test. Farmer had a good tournament along with several others on the team. I Dont care who wins it as long as team wins. Defense is about effort and when Farmer puts forth effort he's a different player. I personally love Smiths game he does it all, but its apples and oranges.

If any of you are old enough to remember when Richie played at Clay County; HE played NO defense, too. Mark Jackson, of Amazing Race fame, still gives him hell over it.

oldhound70s Wrote:That's a good question. The guard play of Clay was so good on both ends I would have to choose one of those. They really shut down Goins and Taylor and made some tremendous assists when they seemed to be in trouble. I watched a little of the Mboro and Wburg games and I thought Farmer just didn't hustle because of the competition. Last night he was all about scoring and I still didn't see much defense or hustle out of him. True MVPs play on both ends. I also thought he taunted the fans and acted very cocky. Just not traits of a tourney MVP in my opinion.

I'm sure my comment may cause tremors in Clay but I just think he got it because of his name and not his play. Don't get me wrong, he had a very good game last night but I think there's several on Clays team more deserving for their overall play. Sorry Tiger nation.

Congrats again Clay...you are the best!

I think you have a valid point oldhound70s; however, having seen him early in the season, I am amazed he has come this far.

TriCountySports Wrote:Based on numbers, I think the MVP had to go to Farmer. As far as him being lazy and arrogant, I don't know if I agree. I mean, the Corbin fans were chanting, "Where's your daddy?" and "Jailbird," for most of the game when he touched the ball. As the clock was winding down, he pointed to their section and smiled. I don't think I blame him.

As far as the best player on Clay County's team, I think that belongs to Smith or Wolfe. I know Chip is a good leader, but I think Wolfe and Smith are the most talented, overall. McDaniel can't defend as well as them and isn't as athletic - and there aren't many who are. They could be two of the top five players in the region over the next two seasons, in my opinion.

If this is accurate (and I believe it is), I believe that it crossed a line and had no place at the game. JMO I also know folks like oldhound70s are way to classy to be a part of this, but it just should never have happened. As far as Trey taunting the crowd, he's a kid. He needs to mature. But if all he did was point his finger and smile, that's not even close to what he had to endure, and keep his mind on the game.
EKYBubbaWatson Wrote:In my opinion the Tigers had multiple MVPs. the way this team came together was special, and what a going out party for Allen and possibly McDaniel.

It was special. This is a great group of young men. Some in CC had these kids labeled as selfish and arrogant early in the season but nothing is farther from the truth. They just had to figure it out themselves. This is one of my favorite teams to come through CC in quiet awhile. Marcum has done a great job with these guys. Best of luck at Rupp.:Thumbs:
Time to close this one and lets get started on Cov. Cath.
Granny Bear Wrote:If any of you are old enough to remember when Richie played at Clay County; HE played NO defense, too. Mark Jackson, of Amazing Race fame, still gives him hell over it.

I think you have a valid point oldhound70s; however, having seen him early in the season, I am amazed he has come this far.

If this is accurate (and I believe it is), I believe that it crossed a line and had no place at the game. JMO I also know folks like oldhound70s are way to classy to be a part of this, but it just should never have happened. As far as Trey taunting the crowd, he's a kid. He needs to mature. But if all he did was point his finger and smile, that's not even close to what he had to endure, and keep his mind on the game.

That's Corbin for you. And yes, it did happen. to many privileged to care over in that student section. I recall flipping off Corbin student sections on a regular basis when I was in school Confusednicker:
That is uncalled for by the students but in all fairness, that happens with every student section. When you deal with 14-18 year old kids, the maturity level isn't the highest. I remember many student sections giving Corbin hell. South Laurel used to chant "Go back to the trailer park" at Corbin or would chant "Redneck" or "Where's your white sheets" to the Corbin student section.
Granny Bear Wrote:If any of you are old enough to remember when Richie played at Clay County; HE played NO defense, too. Mark Jackson, of Amazing Race fame, still gives him hell over it.

Yes I remember watching him and this is true. Very funny and accurate.

I'm sure the kid has come a long way and has been through hell this year. I just think Clay had other players more deserving based on their play, stats, and attitude. If he does learn to hustle and play defense, he could be better than his dad. I wish him the best.

I honestly dont know what the student section was saying. Unlesss you were sitting right in front of them or next to them it is impossible to know. If they were saying this, I can see what led to his taunting an I definately dont condone the comments. However, every student section in KY will find a chink in the armor and heckle the players. I hate that the kid has endured what he has with his dad's indictment. Nevertheless, Richie stole from all of us and betrayed the commonwealth. He should pay his dues and learn from it and not be placed on a pedastal. But that is not what this post is about.

I just feel other Clay players were more deserving of MVP. I saw several working their tails off and making a bigger impact. Its not a big deal though. MVPs usually go to top scorers.

Clay has a great team and I feel they are just now playing their best basketball. Make our Region proud next week Tiger Nation.
oldhound70s Wrote:I honestly dont know what the student section was saying. Unlesss you were sitting right in front of them or next to them it is impossible to know. If they were saying this, I can see what led to his taunting an I definately dont condone the comments. However, every student section in KY will find a chink in the armor and heckle the players. I hate that the kid has endured what he has with his dad's indictment. Nevertheless, Richie stole from all of us and betrayed the commonwealth. He should pay his dues and learn from it and not be placed on a pedastal. But that is not what this post is about.

I just feel other Clay players were more deserving of MVP. I saw several working their tails off and making a bigger impact. Its not a big deal though. MVPs usually go to top scorers.

Clay has a great team and I feel they are just now playing their best basketball. Make our Region proud next week Tiger Nation.

I know you don't condone that oldhound70s, and I wasn't there. BUT, I know TriCountySports personally, and believe him without a doubt.
I'm absolutely NOT putting Richie on a pedestal; but I think you probably already know that.
I just hate it when kids feel the unfair fallout in a situation like this.
Believe me when I tell you that I agree with your statements probably more than you know!

Wink
Pages: 1 2