Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who Comes In After Cal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I started thinking about a future replacement for Cal.
No, this isn't a hate on Cal thread, so don't start one, hes definitely got atleast 5 years left, maybe more, but whats the best possible situation that UK can put themselves in??

I do like our assistants. I think Robick and Antigua have played a vital part in the recent success.

Many have talked about Antigua being a head coach very soon with his capabilities, and even Cal has stated he dreads when he loses him.

Where does UK go once Cal is gone? Obviously, the times will be different and there may be candidates considered in the future that aren't even known right now, but if it ended today, who would you go with?
Glad this isn't a hate on Cal thread because I thought it was at first. But I think about this quite a bit. I do think Cal has another 4-6 years in him here.

Would love to see Brad Stevens come back to he college game, Shaka Smart at VCU, Marshall at Wichita State, and a few other currently young coaches.

But I know a lot fans would say no but I think that once Cal leaves you gotta throw everything you have and try to get Billy Donovan or Sean Miller here. Both would be a strong force at Kentucky and would yield results eight away.

Just my opinion
Izzo
Brad Stevens will be back in college basketball, but probably well before Cal leaves UK! It's got to be someone who is young right now! We are not going to get a 40 year guy, nor do I want one! If guys like Kevin Willard of Seton Hall and Archie Miller of Dayton, Mitch Henderson Providence, Steve Prohm Murray St. continue to progress, they could be the next hot commodities in college basketball in the next five years.

There will be guys who were former UK players that will get mentioned, but not sure that any will be good enough.

I in NO WAY see Billy D ever leaving Florida, but I don't think the UK nation even considers him someone that they would want anymore!

But for me, it's between two guys who I can see as outstanding candidates! Bryce Drew is going to be at one of the Big Schools (UNC, UK, Duke, Michigan St, UCLA) within the next five years. He will be someone who can come in behind a legend and have a name that gets recruits that will continue the success of those programs.

The guy who I see as the best fit, and it only makes sense based on what he did in following Cal at Memphis is Josh Pastner. He has taught the dribble drive offense at Memphis, better than Cal did. He is a motivator and not a screamer, which means he relates EXCELLENTLY to today's young AAU athletes! I think that Cal will endorse him highly, which means he will get the support of the UK Big Blue Nation immediately! Josh is a coach who knows his X's and O's! Watching the game yesterday against Louisville, the Tigers changed their gameplan at least three times during that game! That is what I would like to see at UK right now. But, when Cal decides to move on, it is Pastner who I would want to see here most!
Kelly Wells
Jarons Wrote:Izzo

One of the top 5 hoop coaches of all time. Why would he want to leave the Spartans and deal with this states unrealistic bs.

Amazing what a good football program will do to share the lime light. It would have to be an unprecedented pay check for him to come to UK!

He's not exactly short in the tooth either...
Spirit100 Wrote:One of the top 5 hoop coaches of all time. Why would he want to leave the Spartans and deal with this states unrealistic bs.

Amazing what a good football program will do to share the lime light. It would have to be an unprecedented pay check for him to come to UK!

He's not exactly short in the tooth either...
A man dream can't he? Wanted UK go try to hire him since Tubby resigned/fired. Think he would do a great job at Kentucky.
I could see Antigua or Pastner getting the job. I could also see a Sean Miller of Arizona as a candidate.
^ I like Sean Miller as well!
just NO Travis Ford ........
My sleeper coach is Rhodes....Would be a great recruiter same style as cal.Go,Go,Go shoot. Confusederiously:
I might get my ass kicked,, but if I ever meet anyone personally that says Travis Ford,, I will initiate the first punch to the head.
Mix1 Wrote:I might get my ass kicked,, but if I ever meet anyone personally that says Travis Ford,, I will initiate the first punch to the head.

he cnat coach that good and if hes the same as in high school he was a jerk,maybe even more now he is a coach..
Ford has won 1 NCAA tourney game. Is an arrogant p**ck suffering from short man syndrome. Nobody likes him.
Josh Pastner

Izzo will retire at Michigan State, Arizona will match whatever UK offered, Antigua will be a head coach somewhere else

I also think Haith at Mizzou is a possibility
My short list and anyone not named Brad Stevens.

Josh Pastner
Thad Motta
Sean Miller
Shaka Smart

You go all out on Brad,, then go to one of the above if he falls through. I do like Derek Kellogg,, just not yet,, he hasnt proven himself as of yet. Great up and coming coach though. Same with coach Orlando.
If Cal were to have another couple of bad years at UK, such as missing the tourney or losing in the first round for 3 or 4 years, does UK give him the boot, or will it be to expensive?
toussaints Wrote:Josh Pastner

Izzo will retire at Michigan State, Arizona will match whatever UK offered, Antigua will be a head coach somewhere else

I also think Haith at Mizzou is a possibility

I would rather have Mike Anderson then Haith,like they way they get after people like Rick used to do,Cal doesn't do that and probally 10 deep if he would play them..
Do you think Pastner would bring his brother in law as the trainer? Kidding aside I think he would be a good fit. Like that he does not curse or allow his players to, I think that says a lot about his character.
I wouldn't be surprised if Cal took off to the Knicks after this season. They'll come after him hard.

My list in order:

1. Billy Donovan
2. Tom Izzo
3. Bill Self
4. Brad Stevens
5. Sean Miller
6. Bruce Pearl
7. Shaka Smart
8. Jay Wright
I left Billy D off because is a .01% chance of him coming here. And Izzo because of age,, 60.
UK tore Louisville apart when they hired Petrino. Even though Pearl was at Tennessee, do you think UK would go get him after his fall from grace?

And another name nobody has mentioned: John Beilein from Michigan. Very good recruiter, only downside is he's 61. But I think he'd leave Michigan before Izzo left Michigan State
[=toussaints;1743396]UK tore Louisville apart when they hired Petrino. Even though Pearl was at Tennessee, do you think UK would go get him after his fall from grace?

And another name nobody has mentioned: John Beilein from Michigan. Very good recruiter, only downside is he's 61. But I think he'd leave Michigan before Izzo left Michigan State[/QUOTE]

Bruce Pearl? No never. Not UK material plus he's been caught cheating. I hope Tennessee hires him back,, I do like him and he's good for UK and the SEC. But hes something you don't need at UK. I just don't see UK getting any coach over the age of 50 unless it's a 100% must emergency.
Izzo must be a choice that people want, otherwise it is completely ridiculous to answer the question as posed in the thread - who do you think will be here next. And to answer that, there is -100% chance that Izzo would be the next UK basketball coach - NONE!!!!
Who else???? Billy The Kid!!!!!
Donovan will NEVER leave FL.
^ Agreed.
Stardust Wrote:Izzo must be a choice that people want, otherwise it is completely ridiculous to answer the question as posed in the thread - who do you think will be here next. And to answer that, there is -100% chance that Izzo would be the next UK basketball coach - NONE!!!!

What makes you so sure? I'm not saying there is a chance, but I do think he'll definitely consider it if offered.

On Donovan: everyone is right, he'll never leave Florida. Worth the shot though.

As for Pearl, he's a really good coach. He wouldn't be one of my first few picks, but he would be a guy you would have to consider if you got desperate.
Again. Pearl was caught in a cheating scandal. Rodrick Rhodes would get the job before Pearl was ever offered. Add in Pearl is a good coach. Nothing great about him.
Pages: 1 2