Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who Comes In After Cal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mix1 Wrote:Again. Pearl was caught in a cheating scandal. Rodrick Rhodes would get the job before Pearl was ever offered. Add in Pearl is a good coach. Nothing great about him.

Bringing up anything or anyone other than a kid from the 14th region and mentioning a violation is hysterical.

Plus, Pearl was caught lying about have a recruit over to his home on an unofficial visit. That's breaking rules, but not cheating. Plus after August of this year he will have served his time and probably will get a job at a school in one of the major 6 conferences. He'll likely be very successful there, like anywhere else he's been and then he will be a player for a major job in the future.

I'm not suggesting UK to go after him once Calipari leaves or retires, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.
Cheating is cheating,, anyway you wanna spin it. He was caught,, fired for it. And again,, he's not a great coach. Good but not great. Define breaking rules? Also what's the 14th region have anything to do with this thread?
I hate Bruce pearl as a coach, please don't do that. Bring back Ricky P.
I could see Marshall from wsu. Or I could see me maybe takin the job. I'd consider it.
toussaints Wrote:UK tore Louisville apart when they hired Petrino. Even though Pearl was at Tennessee, do you think UK would go get him after his fall from grace?

And another name nobody has mentioned: John Beilein from Michigan. Very good recruiter, only downside is he's 61. But I think he'd leave Michigan before Izzo left Michigan State

I hate to admit it, but IMHO, Bruce Pearl has the exact personality you would want in a UK coach.
Cheating or not, we've been dealing with people screaming Cal cheated ever since hes been here and it continues today. IMO, his past shouldn't have anything to do with it.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Cal took off to the Knicks after this season. They'll come after him hard.

My list in order:

1. Billy Donovan
2. Tom Izzo
3. Bill Self
4. Brad Stevens
5. Sean Miller
6. Bruce Pearl
7. Shaka Smart
8. Jay Wright

Going off your list....

1. Billy Donovan 0% chance. Hes not leaving FLA.
2. Tom Izzo 0% chance. Hes to old and not leaving MSU
3. Bill Self 0% chance. He not leaving KU.
4. Brad Stevens 15% chance. As long as hes getting paid to be in the NBA, he will stay there.
5. Sean Miller- 35% chance. Arizona will match any offers from UK
6. Bruce Pearl- 60% chance. Im sure hed take it if offered. The thing is would UK offer.
7. Shaka Smart 70% chance. He would leave in a heartbeat, but im not sure UK would take him.
8. Jay Wright 80% chance. Same as smart, and im sure hed leave, but idk that UK would go after him.
Bennett from UVA would be real interesting in a few years if he can put together 3 plus really good seasons.
bucslover68 Wrote:Bennett from UVA would be real interesting in a few years if he can put together 3 plus really good seasons.

better watch for Va in the tournament,they could make a run..
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Going off your list....

1. Billy Donovan 0% chance. Hes not leaving FLA.
2. Tom Izzo 0% chance. Hes to old and not leaving MSU
3. Bill Self 0% chance. He not leaving KU.
4. Brad Stevens 15% chance. As long as hes getting paid to be in the NBA, he will stay there.
5. Sean Miller- 35% chance. Arizona will match any offers from UK
6. Bruce Pearl- 60% chance. Im sure hed take it if offered. The thing is would UK offer.
7. Shaka Smart 70% chance. He would leave in a heartbeat, but im not sure UK would take him.
8. Jay Wright 80% chance. Same as smart, and im sure hed leave, but idk that UK would go after him.

And to add:

9. Josh Pastner 99.9%. He's young, he's a disciple of Cal, he coaches the same type of system as Cal, and Cal would endorse the hell out of him! Cal would even make recruiting calls for him!

Let's all be clear, unless Cal leaves for the NBA - which we will hear EVERY YEAR - he will be at UK for as long as he wants! The only things that would EVER push Cal out is if he is no longer sending players to the NBA or he gets in some type of trouble.

The talk has already started about him going to the Knicks, and every year it sounds more an more like it "could" happen. But why? Just ego? He makes as much at UK as he would in any NBA job! He has 100% control of basketball at UK, and will be overpowered by the GM (unless he gets that at part of the deal) a meddling owner, and probably the top 2-3 players! Unless he thinks UK is going to get into some type of violation issues, he's not leaving!
RITCHIE FARMER!!! Period!
University of Louisville coach Rick Pitino on Tuesday said he wasn't closely following the recent drama at University of Kentucky, his former employer.

But the U of L coach, a longstanding rival of Calipari's, offered a spirited defense of the UK coach.

“He has a national championship, a Final Four,” Pitino said. ”I don't think he's ever leaving Kentucky. I don't think he's ever leaving. He feels, in his mind, which is the most important person, that he has the best job in college basketball. Where's he going to go? He's not going to be a Wall Street trader.”

Reporters asked Pitino for his opinion of the story unfolding in Lexington, where the young Wildcats have struggled in recent weeks and have some questioning Calipari as the coach at UK.

RELATED | Dan Patrick thinks “this is it” for Calipari at UK

Calipari's team started the season as the preseason consensus No. 1 team. UK, as has been the case in recent years under Calipari, has a lineup stacked with freshman talent.

But the early buzz around the team led to the current state: A basketball team struggling to find leadership and cohesiveness as it enters March. Kentucky is 21-8, but the 'Cats lost back-to-back games to Arkansas and South Carolina, the latter of which sits in second-to-last place in the Southeastern Conference.

Any calls for Calipari's job, Pitino said, are misguided.

“I give him an A as a teacher. I give him an A as a recruiter. I give him an A as a preparer,” Pitino said. “It's tough to do what he does. It's very, very difficult coaching new groups each year. You don't know what you have. You have no idea. That's the way he does it.”

Pitino said next season's team will have some more experience because he can't see more than Julius Randle and Willie Cauley-Stein leaving early for the NBA Draft.

“I think he's excellent,” Pitino said. “I don't think Kentucky can get any better than John Calipari. I'm objective. How are you going to get better than him at what he does?

“Are they having a great year? No, but you wouldn't want to play them at tournament time. I'm a big believer in the way he teaches and the way he recruits. They can't get better than him.”
John Beilein's son Patrick. UK would be a great place for this Mountaineer alum.
Stardust Wrote:And to add:

9. Josh Pastner 99.9%. He's young, he's a disciple of Cal, he coaches the same type of system as Cal, and Cal would endorse the hell out of him! Cal would even make recruiting calls for him!

Let's all be clear, unless Cal leaves for the NBA - which we will hear EVERY YEAR - he will be at UK for as long as he wants! The only things that would EVER push Cal out is if he is no longer sending players to the NBA or he gets in some type of trouble.

The talk has already started about him going to the Knicks, and every year it sounds more an more like it "could" happen. But why? Just ego? He makes as much at UK as he would in any NBA job! He has 100% control of basketball at UK, and will be overpowered by the GM (unless he gets that at part of the deal) a meddling owner, and probably the top 2-3 players! Unless he thinks UK is going to get into some type of violation issues, he's not leaving!

Agreed 100%
Pages: 1 2